Farang got Stabbed

ShopBoy

Absolutely dreadful.

Don't argue with Thais, because their lack of appreciation for the gift of life is so scant, this is an all too common reaction.

If life is so sacred to Buddhists, then tell me why Thailand is head and shoulders above any other nation in the murder of tourists and expats.

Is Thailand really head and shoulders above any other nation in the murder of tourists and expats? I find that very hard to believe, are you taking the population of countries and expats into this statistic? Although I believe Thais are amongst the biggest cowards (not them all), if you mind your own business, and stay sober, Thailand is one of the safest countries in the world.

It doesn't surprise me that it was an American, as their rather brash way could quite easily wind a Thai up.

What does surprise me though is why on earth a taxi driver is carrying around a large knife/samurai sword or whatever the weapon was.

He was unlucky that day to step into that particular taxi though when the driver was probably on edge and having a bad day.

The racist on this forum, against a victim who just happened to be American. If u stand up to a taxi trying to cheat, rob u that is not wrong, more should do it. The truth is over the last 6 months their has been several assaults on taxi passengers by drivers, even a few Thai women have been dragged out of the taxi by their hair, no racist comments about that? The government has done nothing about the increase of assaults on passengers by drivers, nor done anything to stop cheating, refusing fairs, etc. all of this has gotten worse over the last few years. Taxis are red shirts an feel they are above the law now and it is getting worse, soon Bangkok will be worse then Phuket.

Racist!!!

Just where have I been racist, please tell me!!!

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few months back some Army boss said they had problems getting the recruits to shoot at human shaped targets because of their Budhist beliefs re not killing anyone or anything.

I thought then what a ridiculous statement, as Thais are as violent as any race and then some. Here we are again with a prime example of no respect for life, or the result of his actions. No doubt a disagreement over a few baht and his HONOUR was at stake.

This taxi driver likely had Budhas all over the car and around his neck.

Again, as I do ( best I can ) walk away from any disagreement, and the sooner the better. They have weapons, will use anything available, they will have backup from any other Thai in the area, and they will not stop when you are down.

• Like 2

Actually have to agree with some of the things klubex99 said in his post #170 regarding catching taxis and tuk-tuks. My wife avoids them if possible, but we have a car and 2 bikes in Chiang Mai and live right in the city so we don't use the public transport all that often. Having said that I have never had any problems with tuk-tuks in Chiang Mai when I have used them.

The very first time I came to Thailand I had to catch a taxi from Don Muang airport to my hotel, the Indra Regeant. We were nearly into the city when the taxi driver informed me he had no idea where the hotel was. Then he showed me the rather large handgun he had under the driver's seat and told me he was an off duty policeman moonlighting, showed me his police ID which looked legit. When we finally arrived at the hotel I gave him a tip and he gave me his phone number and said if I get into any strife to ring him and he would come and "sort it out". Welcome to Thailand !

Yes, BIB will come and sort your problem out when you pay him 1XXX +, giving his phone number is his way of advertising, make no mistake, there is no BIB who "helping" falang for free, they don't even like us whistling.gif

Forgive me if I'm missing anything here, but where is the proof that he was stabbed dead? The video only shows the 2 men in a scuffle then they go off screen and the Thai man comes back and runs off. No guarantee he died? Is there a genuine news article that I haven't seen? I only hope the poor fellow survived, though something tells me he may have done just a tincy bit to deserve this. I can't see any reason for an unprovoked attack here. Did he cause a fuss about taxi fairs perhaps?

If you can show me hard evidence to prove this guy died, then please point me in that direction.

Thanks

Actually have to agree with some of the things klubex99 said in his post #170 regarding catching taxis and tuk-tuks. My wife avoids them if possible, but we have a car and 2 bikes in Chiang Mai and live right in the city so we don't use the public transport all that often. Having said that I have never had any problems with tuk-tuks in Chiang Mai when I have used them.

The very first time I came to Thailand I had to catch a taxi from Don Muang airport to my hotel, the Indra Regeant. We were nearly into the city when the taxi driver informed me he had no idea where the hotel was. Then he showed me the rather large handgun he had under the driver's seat and told me he was an off duty policeman moonlighting, showed me his police ID which looked legit. When we finally arrived at the hotel I gave him a tip and he gave me his phone number and said if I get into any strife to ring him and he would come and "sort it out". Welcome to Thailand !

Yes, BIB will come and sort your problem out when you pay him 1XXX +, giving his phone number is his way of advertising, make no mistake, there is no BIB who "helping" falang for free, they don't even like us whistling.gif

I disagree with that.

I've met some very nice and helpful police here in my time and it cost me nothing except being friendly.

They are not all the same, though those who do scam and take bribes get a lot more publicity.

• Like 2

I think when this hits the American public , I do hope there is a hard line response from the American govt to the Thai justice system.

In reality this guy will more than likely not do much time.

Thailand has been getting a lot of negative media around the word now because the ability to post things in real time and videos on mobiles.

This will be international news for sure.

I thought there was a meeting with foreign heads of states talking about safety of tourists in Thailand?

The govt here talks about negative news about Thailand , I would like to see them ask for these videos and news to stop around the world , who they going charge or want to prosecute about this negative report.

Like we have seen in the past how in Thailand a person can be charged with trying to report something negative.

The best to his family RIP

Absolutely dreadful.

Don't argue with Thais, because their lack of appreciation for the gift of life is so scant, this is an all too common reaction.

If life is so sacred to Buddhists, then tell me why Thailand is head and shoulders above any other nation in the murder of tourists and expats.

Is Thailand really head and shoulders above any other nation in the murder of tourists and expats? I find that very hard to believe, are you taking the population of countries and expats into this statistic? Although I believe Thais are amongst the biggest cowards (not them all), if you mind your own business, and stay sober, Thailand is one of the safest countries in the world.

It doesn't surprise me that it was an American, as their rather brash way could quite easily wind a Thai up.

What does surprise me though is why on earth a taxi driver is carrying around a large knife/samurai sword or whatever the weapon was.

He was unlucky that day to step into that particular taxi though when the driver was probably on edge and having a bad day.

He may not have been able to buy a gun. I understand from a knowledgeable Thai that having one would not be unusual for a taxi driver. I heard one story that from her that was in the news that a taxi driver began waving a gun around when his Thai passengers recommended (insisted upon?) a shorter, cheaper route to their destination.

I suspect that it was factors other than 'luck' that led to the final confrontation.

Edited by MaxYakov

I have not had much to do with the bib since I first came to Thailand in 2005, but some of the ones I have encountered seemed ok. The one I referred to driving the taxi had a bit of a mean streak and I am sure if I had of called him he would have stung me big time, would have known how green I was for sure. Would have smelled the fear !

I don't think there's a single country that I have either lived or worked in where I would contemplate not paying a cab fare, metered or otherwise. Now, when it comes to disputing a cab fare? Sure. But to pay nothing, get out of the cab and walk away?

Nationalities and geographical location aside, arrogance is a dangerous thing.

Forgive me if I'm missing anything here, but where is the proof that he was stabbed dead? The video only shows the 2 men in a scuffle then they go off screen and the Thai man comes back and runs off. No guarantee he died? Is there a genuine news article that I haven't seen? I only hope the poor fellow survived, though something tells me he may have done just a tincy bit to deserve this. I can't see any reason for an unprovoked attack here. Did he cause a fuss about taxi fairs perhaps?

If you can show me hard evidence to prove this guy died, then please point me in that direction.

Thanks

Take the time to read the rest of the thread....

Just another classic no responsibilty for actions, no consequences, the words don't exist in the Thai language (I believe).

You can get to the stage where you just don't want to play the game anymore and feel that you should make a stand for what you believe is right I guess. I don't thinl Mr Pilckington thought he would loose his life over such a small amount of money either, the poor soul.

If you have ever seen a Thai with that look in their eye then you will understand, all reasoning (if there ever was any) just disappears. It's the price we pay I guess when we weigh up the pro's and con's of living here.

Sad and completely uneccessary, I sincerely hope he gets the needle, he took another persons life callously and without thought, you don't point a gun (or carry one , sword in this case) unless you are contemplating using it, full stop !!!

Make an example of him and it may deter some of this idiocy (although not all, but one is better than none) from happening again. Consequences for your actions, take responsibility........

the driver was probably on edge and having a bad day.

There are only going to be more and more people 'on edge' as the poor get poorer. Too many 'wants' without the discipline to delay gratification or ability to satisfy those wants without getting into debt.

smile.png

More likely that they have no way to get their wants without getting into debt. As you said the poor are getting poorer and they are not poor because they're turning down well paying employment. For most of them it's not about delaying gratification there aren't enough good paying jobs for them.

• Like 1

Absolutely dreadful.

Most Thais have enormous respect for all life in accordance with Buddhist precepts. But the problem with Thai style Buddhism is that it is entirely flexible and mercenary, i.e. redemption can be purchased for a small amount of money. That means that the minority of murderers and other evil doers can easily be accommodated within the system, if they pay. For an example just read the ghosted autobiography of Thailand's last Heckler & Koch executioner before lethal injections put him out of a job. He complained about having to use most of his modest fees from executing prisoners to make merit so that his victim's ghosts would not be able to go after him.

Catholics get absolution and forgiveness by going to confession, don't think that gives them carte blanch for their actions.

100% not true. Thats a load of crap if I have ever read one.

Absolutely dreadful.

Totally agree, don't talk with Thai's you don't know, don't drink in bars or restaurants with Thai's, avoid all motersai, taxi and tuk-tuk if possible, don't answer any Thai's who want to sell something to you on the sidewalk, don't ever make any dispute or argue with any Thai's and you should be safe here,

Like I said, just use common sense and you should be OK.

I was robbed by a taxi driver at Laksi. He refused to give me the 80-baht change of a fare from Sukhumwit Rd.

Now, I try to avoid them like the plague. If, I do have to use a taxi there are three things which I do:

After entering the taxi I take a photograph of the taxi number with my phone - the number on the inside of the back door.

Have a pair of hardy shoes on - if chased by a driver with a weapon,

and ALWAYS have the correct fare money.

Edited by somchaismith
  • Like 1

I ALWAYS CARRY PEPPER SPRAY IN THAILAND. NEVER KNOW WHEN YOU MIGHT NEED IT.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Unfortunately, pepper spray will not stop a determined attacker. Don't let that little canister give you a false sense of security.

Anybody think this is bad press or prejudice toward Thai's?

Just wait until everybody has Google Glass and recording/uploading everything.

Accountability and Thailand are going to be at major odds when many lesser common practices and tendencies can't be swept under the rug.

I wouldn't be surprised if some pandering Thai politicians try to ban Google Glass under the guise of preserving Thai reputation.

• Like 1

Absolutely dreadful.

Thailand is abo e most other nations in the murder of tourists and expats. Why would you as one of the 200 paid govenrment employees paid to work the interent, rebutting the truth and try to keep the truth covered up, by questioning anything about the real Thailand. Thailand is very dangerous for foreigners in so many ways and alot of untruth is spread by internet cover ups like this. Many many frangs disappear here look at Jim Thompson there have been thousands since him give me a break Thailand is a most dangerous place for farang and getting alot worse by the month.

• Like 1

My deepest condoleances too for family Shaffer. I filed police report in 2012. Taxi driver took a base ball bat from under his chair. He was called / booked by my hotel but after 500 mtr. refused to drive me further since I didn’t step in his tourist-trap (my meter no work, broken). I politely asked him to bring me (due to heavy rain) to Sathorn from Banglumpoo and would pay 150 instead of normal 100. He insisted me to leave his taxi……but out of sight of the hotel. It was 15.00 afternoon, I was not intoxicated at all, kept being polite. Khao San Road police caught him but he apologized to me and the base ball bat was confiscated. End of case. Lunatic taxi drivers with Yabaa in their ‘brains’. Nana area, Patpong area, Khao San Road. Time for a huge clean-up and detox centres for lots of those idiots.

• Like 1

You have to remember, 99% of these people were more or less just wallowing around in the mud not much more than 20 years ago, and they've never had a propensity towards serious thought. "We" have slowly grown into where we're at over several hundred years. The Thai and SE Asia has been thrust into it over the last 20-30.

But then again, we're not here for serious thought, are we? You can't have it both ways... A mostly relaxed, care-free way of life with few nanny laws, goes hand-in-hand with police officers drinking whiskey outside the office and over-filled trucks speeding at 120km an hour through small towns.... And being hacked to death by samurai swords over taxi fair disagreements.

"You have to remember, 99% of these people were more or less just wallowing around in the mud not much more than 20 years ago, and they've never had a propensity towards serious thought."

This is exactly the kind of F*&^% up attitude which creates the culture of hatred towards farangs.

• Like 2