Farang got Stabbed

ShopBoy

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No idea on what happened before, but the USA citizen was stupid for not running. I don't usually retreat, but with a sword like that is stupid not to do.

Retreat is always the best option.

I don't know if the taxi drivers intention was to hack the foreigner to death or just wanted to scare and show some power and make clear who has the bigger stick. when you than still fight with the guy with the bigger stick he is left with no other choice than really to use it.

his moves didn't look like professional samurai moves to me, actually more like that he was retreating too.

• Like 2

Absolutely dreadful.

Don't argue with Thais, because their lack of appreciation for the gift of life is so scant, this is an all too common reaction.

If life is so sacred to Buddhists, then tell me why Thailand is head and shoulders above any other nation in the murder of tourists and expats.

Is Thailand really head and shoulders above any other nation in the murder of tourists and expats? I find that very hard to believe, are you taking the population of countries and expats into this statistic? Although I believe Thais are amongst the biggest cowards (not them all), if you mind your own business, and stay sober, Thailand is one of the safest countries in the world.

Disagree Thai is now one of the most dangerous. Ask the respective embassies of Western Countries. Becoming a country of scumbags

I am only commenting on my own experiences. Use common sense and you will be 99.9% safe.

• Like 1

It's good then if the suspect was caught? But I think he will still be freed when

no complainant

I would think it's become too public for that. I am sure he will get Jail time. Though how much time is not known I am sure with so much media around this he will do time

Is it worth losing your life for a few baht?

I use taxi drivers with meters and never have a problem. I give them over the meter fare a few baht.

If they complain no meter and the fare is too high I dont get in.

How much could they have been arguing about? 500 baht? 1000 baht?

Let this be a tragic lesson for us all.

Let them rip you off a little and keep your life?

My life is worth more than a 1000 baht.

If Plato were around today he would write some good plays about this Tragedy

RIP mate. To his family we are all sorry for your loss.

The victim's sister has stated it was " a couple of dollars" (60 baht) Not sure if she was exaggerating?

Let me remind members of the forum rules

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

8) Not to post extremely negative views of Thailand or derogatory comments directed towards all Thais.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

Enough is enough

One thing I wonder if this will prompt other Taxi drivers to act hard and try to push other farangs around to paying more. Saying things like look what happened to last man who did not pay. I hope not truly I do hope its more of a black eye that no one talks about.

The vics sister said the taxi driver tried to decapitate her brother? Musta done some serious damage with the sword as there is a hospital literally 100 yards away. Mentioned in another thread in the bangkok local folder the body was left in a pool of blood under a white sheet on the pavement for anyone driving past to see.

There was a snippet on Channel 3 TV, within the last 30 mins, with the attacker in custody. I asked my missus what he said, her reply was that the cabbie stated "the passenger did not pay the fare. Nothing about how, or why he had not paid the fare, or that there was a dispute or anything about what actually happened inside the taxi. So, how are the Thai media actually reporting this?

I feel sorry for the family, and the way Mr. Pilkington has lost his life, I just wonder though how this is going to be dealt with by the authorities.

How it is dealt with by the authorities depends as always on the relative status and connections of the murderer and victim. Most taxi drivers are low status, although some may have police relatives which can make all the difference. Farang tourists are generally also low status in Thai society but they have connections in the form of embassies and foreign media that can make a fuss and discourage their countrymen from coming to Thailand to give money to Thais which upsets rich Thais and politicians. Therefore I would say the taxi driver loses, unless he has police relatives that are able and willing to fix things for him.

• Like 2

If i understood the news correctly... The taxi meter price was 81Baht but the driver stated 81Baht plus he said there was a "meter charge" <deleted>? of 50 Baht (131Baht) After this the American disagreed, threw water at the driver. Then was killed.

The point here is not that the taxi driver and passenger had an argument, that happens everywhere. There always seems to be a stigma about "rip off" taxi drivers in every country (at least in my experience). The point is that the taxi driver was keeping a samurai sword in his taxi, absolutely crazy. So, an argument occurs, he pulls out the sword in the heat of the moment (over a little money, so it seems) and now the American tourist is dead, it's horrific.

It really doesn't matter if the American provoked the taxi driver, "losing face" is not an excuse.

• Like 2

It's good then if the suspect was caught? But I think he will still be freed when

no complainant

I would think it's become too public for that. I am sure he will get Jail time. Though how much time is not known I am sure with so much media around this he will do time

I'd say definite jail time with a definite 'pardon' within 4-5 years. He only needs to confess in detail (to lighten police paperwork) and not cause trouble in jail. They just aren't into aggressively expanding the prison system here. When they are overstocked... they just sweep out the oldest (and most behaved) groups in pardons. Any case where there isn't a victims side (family, etc.) to claim damages will inherently get a lighter treatment.

That said, even 'just' 4-5 years in would surely feel more like 20-25+ in the west.

smile.png

Edited by Heng

This is a great rundown on crime in Thailand with data attached and links to data sources available. http://willapse.hubpages.com/hub/Thailand-Health--Safety-and-Risks-2-Crime

I feel horrible about a fellow American being killed for the taxi fare. I have found it always best to ask first if it is a "meter" taxi before getting in the taxi and second I look at the meter and if I notice variances to make an excuse to stop earlier and get out. It can be for any reason. Dying over what amounts to $1.65 fare is just terrible. It is much wiser to leave it alone, pay the current amount, get out and move along. If the meter is rigged than what kind of person do you think you are dealing with anyway?

I think this is horrible and hope the taxi driver is convicted of the crime of murder and sent to prison for a long time.

As a last comment, I would suggest that the steps above in calmly handling a taxi fare issue are applicable worldwide. I take the same care in NYC in choosing my taxi as I do in Bangkok.

Edited by bluecheesefan

I have said for along time that it's about time foreign countries started warning its citizens about the REAL dangers in Thailand.The Fact that taxi drivers often carrying weapons,usually handguns or knives, we can add SWORDS to the list

• Like 2

All these taxi/tuktuk problems are simply a consequence and a bubbling over the surface of a deep seated resentment and hatred towards the farang. The working men of Thailand have the least to lose as they live hand to mouth, day to day. They are the people whose veneer is thin and clearly transparent if you will pardon the pun. These are the ones who carry a bloody samurai sword under their drivers seat and will quite happily chop of the head of some foreigner who doesn't play by the rules. I have written this whilst drunk. Apologies.

I'd agree but amend the following to include anyone better off than them, well off Thais and non farang foreigners included. You can work slaves to death, and many will feel that it's their place to live as such... as long as you give them those droplets of respect that they deserve. I've seen a lot of these situations get ignited by nothing more than a middle finger or some minor swearing.

They don't use the ol' 'sticks and stones' saying here... well, at least not the whole saying anyway. Also, while there are SOME of those playful 'shoving matches' that some westerners would call 'fights,' I'd say that the defacto local definition is 'to the death.' It's the more natural definition.

I think It's hardly an alien concept... how many of you guys would mouth off in the bad part of town back home?

smile.png

I really like your response. I don't say this very often but I think you've nailed it mate.

So I guess the attitude of this samuri taxi guy is different from the famous taxi guy in Bangkok that has a sign saying something like " I love farang. Without farang I not have have money and cannot eat" . Regarding turning a street conflict into a fight to the death, that is an interesting concept for tourists to be aware of. So in any conflict with a Thai, be prepared to fight to the death, and come into the fight with that attitude. The Thais certainly seem to, so if you want to win you will have to be the same.....

You've turned this on it's head which is good.

• Thai hate foreigner.
  • Foreigner feed Thai.
  • Foreigner free to leave at any time.
  • Foreigner gts cheap sex, beer, housing, nice weather etc in return for tolerating xenophobia.
  • Like 1

Did the crime re-enactment get a showing on TV? If not, why not..... Well we know the answer to that one! Any government minister commenting on this outrageous murder?

I hope CNN and the BBC get hold of this and beam it around the world. And lets see if the US Ambassador grows some balls.

RIP Troy, sincere condolences for his family.

CAT being a big world wide company is more than likely to make the ambassador grow balls and it will go to every country CAT have dealings with via there internal network....

Edited by briboy

You've turned this on it's head which is good.

• Thai hate foreigner.
  • Foreigner feed Thai.
  • Foreigner free to leave at any time.
  • Foreigner gts cheap sex, beer, housing, nice weather etc in return for tolerating xenophobia.

May be Thai guys has insecurity.

Foreigner come here with money (It's a lot for Thai's).

They target foreigner for money.... Success or fails to grab money... STAB!! The End.

Or hate is due to they are not like foreigner. Hi So.

Absolutely dreadful.

Don't argue with Thais, because their lack of appreciation for the gift of life is so scant, this is an all too common reaction.

If life is so sacred to Buddhists, then tell me why Thailand is head and shoulders above any other nation in the murder of tourists and expats.

Is Thailand really head and shoulders above any other nation in the murder of tourists and expats? I find that very hard to believe, are you taking the population of countries and expats into this statistic? Although I believe Thais are amongst the biggest cowards (not them all), if you mind your own business, and stay sober, Thailand is one of the safest countries in the world.

It doesn't surprise me that it was an American, as their rather brash way could quite easily wind a Thai up.

What does surprise me though is why on earth a taxi driver is carrying around a large knife/samurai sword or whatever the weapon was.

He was unlucky that day to step into that particular taxi though when the driver was probably on edge and having a bad day.

Actually have to agree with some of the things klubex99 said in his post #170 regarding catching taxis and tuk-tuks. My wife avoids them if possible, but we have a car and 2 bikes in Chiang Mai and live right in the city so we don't use the public transport all that often. Having said that I have never had any problems with tuk-tuks in Chiang Mai when I have used them.

The very first time I came to Thailand I had to catch a taxi from Don Muang airport to my hotel, the Indra Regeant. We were nearly into the city when the taxi driver informed me he had no idea where the hotel was. Then he showed me the rather large handgun he had under the driver's seat and told me he was an off duty policeman moonlighting, showed me his police ID which looked legit. When we finally arrived at the hotel I gave him a tip and he gave me his phone number and said if I get into any strife to ring him and he would come and "sort it out". Welcome to Thailand !

dam_n !!!!! That was a sword attack, not a knife stabbing.....

I know what I would do if attacked with a knife, but will have to

think what to do about a sword.

Think i would rather be attacked with a sword than a knife. A sword is more ungainly and it will always be seen whereas a knife might be hard to see and could come from anywhere. sad.png

Absolutely dreadful.

Totally agree, don't talk with Thai's you don't know, don't drink in bars or restaurants with Thai's, avoid all motersai, taxi and tuk-tuk if possible, don't answer any Thai's who want to sell something to you on the sidewalk, don't ever make any dispute or argue with any Thai's and you should be safe here,

dam_n !!!!! That was a sword attack, not a knife stabbing.....

I know what I would do if attacked with a knife, but will have to

think what to do about a sword.

You do what the tourist gut did and close the distance so stabbing or slicing is difficult. Understand you might get cut but who saya one cut is going to kill you? Vlose the distance and attack as hard as possible

How did that (apparent) approach work out for the victim? How it actually went down is off-camera so we don't know. Is it possible the taxi driver got lucky or had a backup weapon?

The best policy in Thailand is to avoid confrontations at all costs even when being extorted. If a confrontation occurs, impartially analyze what happened and take steps to ensure that it doesn't happen again.

RIP Mr. Pilkington

Edited by MaxYakov