Farang got Stabbed

ShopBoy

I just got a Taxi from Ekkamai to Moo Baan Nakkila. As is the case 99% of the time, the driver was courteous, drove well and was polite. I gave him 200 baht instead of the 115 on the meter because of his behavior. Funny thing was - he had 2 little CCTV cameras in his taxi which I thought was a bit of a turnaround.

I have had 1 problem with a taxi in my 15 years here. He was driving like a psychopath and was clearly on drugs. I just told him "here please" and got out at Sathorn, not where I wanted to go. I would be amazed if that guy didn't have an accident that day.

Most tourist spots around the world end up causing friction between the locals and the tourists. The people with tourist facing jobs all over the world have to put up with a lot of crap and often the local youths like to use this as an excuse to start fights with tourists. I've seen it in many places. Whichever tourist destination you are in the world, you have to be aware that you will be resented by a small percentage of the local population. You have to be aware that this resentment will see people using the flimsiest excuse to lash out at you. You also have to be aware that tourist destinations attract a lot of scumbags that go there specifically to rip off tourists. In our temporary home, that includes the local constabulary who pay to get transferred to places like Pattaya.

Also on a cultural bent. Americans are very forward. As an Englishman, it would be rare for me to just speak to some stranger in public but I've had loads of Americans just spark up a conversation with me. I think it's pretty cool. Americans are also very vocal when they complain - they don't pull any punches. We've all heard of the "Angry American" - but it's just a cultural thing, there is nothing inherently wrong with it. In England we would look down on it but then we'd also sit complaining amongst ourselves about a shitty meal and when the waitress came round asking how it was we'd all chorus "fine thanks".

Anyway - suffice to say that the combination of being very vocal in complaining & some scumbag with a huge chip on his shoulder and a Samurai sword in the car is a very unfortunate one.

My own Thai wife worries about me, that I'll say something to a Thai one day that will have the knives out. My Thai wife will not take a taxi at night either. My secretary won't. In fact, I only know a couple of Thai women that will take a taxi at night on their own, the majority won't.

It's not all Thais that are on the verge of cracking as is made out by some on here. I know plenty of Thai people that are just as worried about someone pulling a knife/gun because of a perceived slight as we are. I know plenty of Thai people that won't get into taxis at night. I know plenty of Thai people that really worry about road rage here. It's not that all Thais are nuts, just that there are some people out there who overreact to the slightest perceived slight.

I got hit by a motorbike on Tuesday. I was crossing Ratchada just past the Rama 9 junction - a row of cars had stopped to let me go. The last one was a white van. As we came past the van, a bike came round and we saw each other too late and it hit me and my son. We both went flying. The bike stopped and so did the bike that witnessed it from behind. 4 Thai people were stood there. I went to see if the bike rider was ok after checking my son and he was ok but he'd scuffed his bike. He asked for some money for it and then the other Thais (4 pedestrians and a biker) started talking to him saying how it was his fault and how he shouldn't ask for money. This went on for 5 minutes and I said to my son "just ask him how much he wants" as I'd heard "300 Baht" mentioned and I'd put blame at 50/50. The Thai woman close to me told me off immediately and said "no, you should not have to pay". I stepped back bemused and left them all to it. After another 5 minutes it was sorted, we didn't have to pay. I shook hands with the rider than hit us, we said sorry to each other and it was smiles all round. At no point did anyone get angry, at no point did anyone try to blame the westerner.

I often take bike rides on the klongs of Bang Kapi, Min Buri and Lat Krabang where everyone stops and smiles and generally treat me like a celebrity - the thing is Thai people are generally nice in my experience. I just do not expect any niceties when it's 1am and I'm getting a taxi in Sukhumvit 11 purely because I'm not dealing with your typical Thai but someone who is potentially there to rip me off or someone with a big chip on their shoulder.

Let me understand this. You were attempting to cross Rachadaphisek near Rama IX and stopping traffic to do so?! Are aware that you could have used the nearby MRT station at Phra Ram 9 to make that crossing if you were north of Rama IX? If you were on the south side of Rama IX, there is a pedestrian crosswalk. Rachadaphisek has median barriers in place along a good deal of its length to prevent pedestrians and motorbikes from attempting to go across at inadvisable places (aka attempted suicide).

Unless I've misread your post, you were jaywalking, obstructing traffic on a very important road and risking injury or death ... not to mention aggravating a few motorists.

Yes, I crossed the road at a pedestrian crossing. I do understand that this is a high risk activity here but it is where everyone else crosses the road!

Yep. Even if you had the light and N/S traffic was safe, there's always the risk being hit by a motorbike performing their favorite red-light-evasion maneuver in the intersection to go south on Rachadaphisek from east on Rama IX. It that case they would have really surprised you by approaching and turning from your left and behind as you were in the eastern side of the crosswalk. I bike through that intersection almost every day and I, too, use red-light-evasion tactics, but not likely to hit anything or anyone (I think).

OK, OK - back on topic. I generally agree with the other elements of your original post and be safe.

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 1

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my neighbour's comments (freely translated by yours truly):

"this is a taxi driver who cannot control himself. people with no control live in every country. no problem".

this comes out of the mouth of a 40 year old, uneducated, male thai ... and I agree in full.

btw the "no problem" part is just his way to tell me that i shouldn't be worried going to bangkok. cute ;)

I didn't read all the posts but it's a fact that Thailand is losing grip and it is in an accelerating mode now. Corruption, crime, political and environmental issues all spinning out of control.

There will be some sort of outburst or multiple outbursts anytime in the near future, better stay inside when this happens.

If this happens hopefully it will be for the better this time but I guess I have my hopes up far to high.

I ALWAYS CARRY PEPPER SPRAY IN THAILAND. NEVER KNOW WHEN YOU MIGHT NEED IT.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Unfortunately, pepper spray will not stop a determined attacker. Don't let that little canister give you a false sense of security.

I always carry a big smile in Thailand . Never know when you might need it.

Is pepper spray legal in Thailand? I remember reading something about self-protection items being illegal. Maybe it was stun guns... not sure.

As for smiles, I agree... and paying the slight over-charge works as well. Taking a photo of the car number after you exit works too and then reporting the over-charge could be a way to get money back. It probably isn't worth it in the long run.

I believe I found on Google Street View the exact location where this fight took place. It is not in Sukhumvit Soi 68 (Sophon) itself, but on Sukhumvit going north, a few metres before the corner of Soi 68.

post-21260-0-59625900-1373204129_thumb.g

• Like 1

Absolutely dreadful.

Don't argue with Thais, because their lack of appreciation for the gift of life is so scant, this is an all too common reaction.

If life is so sacred to Buddhists, then tell me why Thailand is head and shoulders above any other nation in the murder of tourists and expats.

Is Thailand really head and shoulders above any other nation in the murder of tourists and expats? I find that very hard to believe, are you taking the population of countries and expats into this statistic? Although I believe Thais are amongst the biggest cowards (not them all), if you mind your own business, and stay sober, Thailand is one of the safest countries in the world.

The FACT is the murder rate per capita in Thailand is 2X that of the USA!! Mexico is #1, but the most Buddhist nation on earth is around #14. The USA and most other western nations are well down the list. So yes, the most Buddhist nation on earth is probably the least Buddhist nation in terms of behavior.

That said, even 'just' 4-5 years in would surely feel more like 20-25+ in the west.

smile.png

I would disagree with this statement!! Surely for a soft Western person, Thai jail would be a harsh environment, but I would think for a poor-ish Thai person, life isn't that much worse than it is for a Western person, in a Western jail. Although I guess Western jails can vary considerably.

But I would not say that 4-5 years is a significant punishment in any way. One can probably pick up their life just where they left it, in that short of time, for one thing. With 20-25 or more as you put it (+), your wife and kids have gone/grown up, your friends have gone, your parents have died, jobs might be pretty difficult to come by (but maybe not in Thailand?) your personality has most likely changed, besides whatever the actual hardship of being in jail might be.

But the actual situation in the jail, while probably massively difficult for certain people, seems not too much different than a poor Thai person's life. I mean, for me, I would hate the heat (no aircon), the cold water, the sleeping on the floor, the food, the toilet situation, etc. But I think that poor Thai people, live much the same anyway. And I believe if you have some money and family support, you can buy a lot of conveniences to make life better. You might have that support for 4-5 years, but maybe not for 25 years?

First part of video with the foreigner in the frame in slow motion:

At 25 seconds into the slow motion, as the Thai is stepping backward, is the foreigner following him?

Ya, that is what I saw, a white guy actually continuing to go toward the guy with the machete. My guess is he was drunk. The taxi driver left the weapon behind and seemed panicked, probably didn't mean to hack the foreigner to death but hey when you're swinging a machete it isn't going to end well.

• Like 1

dam_n !!!!! That was a sword attack, not a knife stabbing.....

I know what I would do if attacked with a knife, but will have to

think what to do about a sword.

Someone comes at you with a knife you better run fast , they come at you with a sword my advice run faster ............ Proven fact person can kill you faster with a knife than with a gun ......

No, to use a knife, you have to be in close up to do any damage, unless of course you are a trained knife thrower. Not so a gun.

I ALWAYS CARRY PEPPER SPRAY IN THAILAND. NEVER KNOW WHEN YOU MIGHT NEED IT.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Unfortunately, pepper spray will not stop a determined attacker. Don't let that little canister give you a false sense of security.

I always carry a big smile in Thailand . Never know when you might need it.

Is pepper spray legal in Thailand? I remember reading something about self-protection items being illegal. Maybe it was stun guns... not sure.

As for smiles, I agree... and paying the slight over-charge works as well. Taking a photo of the car number after you exit works too and then reporting the over-charge could be a way to get money back. It probably isn't worth it in the long run.

I was attacked at the corner of Suk soi 29 by a taxi driver with a tyre lever for taking the photo of his inside door licence plate,(something I always do when not comfortable), As I sat down he saw me take the pic - then he began arguing about turning on the meter.. I said no problems - then got out and we went crazy that I had taken his licence plate - he scrambled out of the car with the tyre lever (to teach me a lesson?) - I was able to get out before he reached the rear door and fend him off without being hit with several deliverate swings before exiting the scene... I was with a Danish lad who had just left the Admirals Hotel. In my mind the rapid escalation and volitility of that situation was a shock and makes other incidents inevitable.. many (most) taxi are great if you treat them with tact - but my lesson is dont even try to take the licence plate or confront them if things go sour - just get out and walk quickly away.

just chanced across a video from the good old days before swords ...... more extreme bravery

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=1d0_1288697426

Hahaha great fight, like where the leader flags over a bunch more guys to help beat up the single guy on the bench. Finally when there are 8 guys ready to help the leader, he then attacks.... Lots of head kicks, must be part of some kind of Thainess thing. Regarding swords, look again at 1:02. The guy in the blue shirt has a sword as well. Maybe a common weapon for street gangs.

Edited by EyesWideOpen

I just got a Taxi from Ekkamai to Moo Baan Nakkila. As is the case 99% of the time, the driver was courteous, drove well and was polite. I gave him 200 baht instead of the 115 on the meter because of his behavior. Funny thing was - he had 2 little CCTV cameras in his taxi which I thought was a bit of a turnaround.

I have had 1 problem with a taxi in my 15 years here. He was driving like a psychopath and was clearly on drugs. I just told him "here please" and got out at Sathorn, not where I wanted to go. I would be amazed if that guy didn't have an accident that day.

Most tourist spots around the world end up causing friction between the locals and the tourists. The people with tourist facing jobs all over the world have to put up with a lot of crap and often the local youths like to use this as an excuse to start fights with tourists. I've seen it in many places. Whichever tourist destination you are in the world, you have to be aware that you will be resented by a small percentage of the local population. You have to be aware that this resentment will see people using the flimsiest excuse to lash out at you. You also have to be aware that tourist destinations attract a lot of scumbags that go there specifically to rip off tourists. In our temporary home, that includes the local constabulary who pay to get transferred to places like Pattaya.

Also on a cultural bent. Americans are very forward. As an Englishman, it would be rare for me to just speak to some stranger in public but I've had loads of Americans just spark up a conversation with me. I think it's pretty cool. Americans are also very vocal when they complain - they don't pull any punches. We've all heard of the "Angry American" - but it's just a cultural thing, there is nothing inherently wrong with it. In England we would look down on it but then we'd also sit complaining amongst ourselves about a shitty meal and when the waitress came round asking how it was we'd all chorus "fine thanks".

Anyway - suffice to say that the combination of being very vocal in complaining & some scumbag with a huge chip on his shoulder and a Samurai sword in the car is a very unfortunate one.

My own Thai wife worries about me, that I'll say something to a Thai one day that will have the knives out. My Thai wife will not take a taxi at night either. My secretary won't. In fact, I only know a couple of Thai women that will take a taxi at night on their own, the majority won't.

It's not all Thais that are on the verge of cracking as is made out by some on here. I know plenty of Thai people that are just as worried about someone pulling a knife/gun because of a perceived slight as we are. I know plenty of Thai people that won't get into taxis at night. I know plenty of Thai people that really worry about road rage here. It's not that all Thais are nuts, just that there are some people out there who overreact to the slightest perceived slight.

I got hit by a motorbike on Tuesday. I was crossing Ratchada just past the Rama 9 junction - a row of cars had stopped to let me go. The last one was a white van. As we came past the van, a bike came round and we saw each other too late and it hit me and my son. We both went flying. The bike stopped and so did the bike that witnessed it from behind. 4 Thai people were stood there. I went to see if the bike rider was ok after checking my son and he was ok but he'd scuffed his bike. He asked for some money for it and then the other Thais (4 pedestrians and a biker) started talking to him saying how it was his fault and how he shouldn't ask for money. This went on for 5 minutes and I said to my son "just ask him how much he wants" as I'd heard "300 Baht" mentioned and I'd put blame at 50/50. The Thai woman close to me told me off immediately and said "no, you should not have to pay". I stepped back bemused and left them all to it. After another 5 minutes it was sorted, we didn't have to pay. I shook hands with the rider than hit us, we said sorry to each other and it was smiles all round. At no point did anyone get angry, at no point did anyone try to blame the westerner.

I often take bike rides on the klongs of Bang Kapi, Min Buri and Lat Krabang where everyone stops and smiles and generally treat me like a celebrity - the thing is Thai people are generally nice in my experience. I just do not expect any niceties when it's 1am and I'm getting a taxi in Sukhumvit 11 purely because I'm not dealing with your typical Thai but someone who is potentially there to rip me off or someone with a big chip on their shoulder.

I think your post is right on. When I told my Thai girlfriend about this murder she immediately said, see I told you that taxi drivers are no good. Of course she was generalizing because a close friend of hers has a husband who is a taxi driver. He is not going to go after anyone with a weapon any time soon. A very nice guy.

She then reminded me of a time that we took a cab from a night of drinking in Patpon to our apartment on Onnut and she yelled at the taxi at the overcharge of the fare. She knew the fares from that area and was sure his meter was rigged. She did the exact opposite of what she told me to do... haha. However, it was a serious situation and at the time I was not even sure what the problem was as she said nothing to me as we exited the taxi. It all took place in front of the apartment complex with security there. The taxi driver became very physically threatening toward her. In all it was over about - 20-30 baht. It was resolved, but I realized then that you really need to consider just how important the principle of something is versus the potentiality of a terrible outcome.

I had a drunk driver one time. He was weaving on the road. I asked him politely to pull over and he did. I paid him and with a smile said that he was a bit drunk and I wanted to get to where I was going alive. He spoke English fairly well and he laughed. I paid the fare. I could have just as easily berated him and refused to pay etc.

I've had drivers add extras on for longer rides. They don't expect the trip to be so far. I usually say we'll see what the meter says when we get there knowing full well I'll make his day with a very good tip.

If I do take late night trips in a taxi I sometimes stop at McDonalds or 7/11 on the way. I always buy the driver something... usually m100 the caffeinated drink or at McDonalds I'll ask him if he wants anything.

If a driver is unsure of where he is going, I'll call the apartment or hotel or my girlfriend and have them talk directly to the driver for directions etc. I try to take myself out of the loop. He speaks Thai to Thai and I am just along for the ride.

I agree that the Thais I know where I live now are all concerned with what people do. They are friendly and helpful. There are some bad seeds. No different than any other culture I've been part of.

First part of video with the foreigner in the frame in slow motion:

At 25 seconds into the slow motion, as the Thai is stepping backward, is the foreigner following him?

Ya, that is what I saw, a white guy actually continuing to go toward the guy with the machete. My guess is he was drunk. The taxi driver left the weapon behind and seemed panicked, probably didn't mean to hack the foreigner to death but hey when you're swinging a machete it isn't going to end well.

I can't agree with that. Once you lift the weapon your doing so with intent. To then claim it was an accident is beyond bullsh*t. This is the whole point as to why being in possession of an offensive weapon is a criminal charge.

You can't hack someone to death with a Samurai sword or machete if you don't have one. Merely going out and obtaining one shows some degree of malice aforethought, and to then pack in a public service vehicle such as a taxi is scandalous. That in itself should be a jail sentence.

• Like 1

Sure, more Brits and Aussies die in Thailand than any other overseas destination, but having SEEN many of those people in action, am I surprised ? How many here would be willing to stagger around Soho or Sydney's King Cross at 2am bombed out of their minds ? Before someone leaps on me, I'm not saying that was the case with our unfortunate friend, but I've done it many times on lower Suk (and in Patts, apparently a great place to meet one's maker) and survived the experience. Probably in more danger from vehicular traffic than frutcakes armed with swords.

Given a choice between Suk and the Cross, I'll take Suk every time. As for the comment re 'having to think about what to do' if attacked by someone with a sword, I doubt that there is a credible self-defence instructor on the planet who wouldn't advocate working on your cardio fitness and endurance drills ... I'll take laughter behind me over a disembowelment any day of the week ! wink.png

Agreed, been in and out of Thailand since 1999 and I can drink and have a great time with absolutley no problems.

During all these years however I have seen huge amounts of horrendous attitude and behaviour from fellow 'farangs' both intoxicated and SOBER and everything in between.

A huge amount of these people talking to the Thai's like they are below them, or dirt, simply because the farang has money and they don't.

Treating Thai women like nothing more than 'pay-and-play by the hours' pieces of meat and TALKING ABOUT IT in public places and laughing with their mates like the Thais can't hear and understand. Thailand is one of the most welcoming countries in the world, and they are proud of that and proud of themselves and their country.

While travelling with my wife we had many problems because her passport was Thai and it hurt her.

I had to fight with many governments and border crossings.

I never forget in Mexico when she broke down crying and said to me 'Darling why the people all bad to Thailand, Thailand good to everyone, we welcome everyone'.

And she was right.

I have witnessed the outright tight-fistedness of farangs towards Thais who have so little, looking at these farangs who have everything angrily fighting over 10 baht.

It wrecks my head.

And for the poster who commented how taxi drivers treat white farangs different that affluent asians... You ever wonder WHY?????

Farangs have unfortunatley abused their position of good fortune in a previously very welcoming nation. It is the young, always the young, who will look in anger as their parents, sisters are berated, abused, and taken advantage of, look on in anger.

The young grow up.

The young HAVE grown up.

There are many good farangs go to thailand.

And its ok to drink, its ok to have fun with the ladies, its ok to barted reasonably.

Its not ok to act with lack of decency and respect to other people and another culture.

Its no ok to be degrading, or abusive.

Thailand has suffered DECADES of BULLSHIT from foreigners, surely you don't think sooner or later the farang will reap what they sow???

Do you think if the shoe was on the other foot and you grew up in a poor farangland for generations, for decades, watching everyday Asians, affluent for no reason other than trade and economic imbalances maintained by wars and violence (yes us) coming to your country treating your parents like crap, talking shit to people, screwing your sister, mother who only do it to support themselves and family and treating them like dirt.

Do you think you'd be any different.

I don't know what provoked this attack IN PARTICULAR, but I see clearly what has invoked a growing anti-farang sentiment in a country and people I love very much.

I hope you tried to minimise your wife's anguish. Many Thais are trafficked, often by other Thais, in the sex industry and low paid jobs overseas and border controls are in place for the Thai females' protection, not for unnecessary harassment. Western males are sometimes also involved and one of the mechanisms is claiming false relations as evidenced by the rigour applied to visa requests to establish the validity of a relationship and to reduce the likelihood of overstays and illegal workers, many of whom end up in the sex industry and vulnerable to exploitation.

I understand your point but nothing to do with that at all as we had many letters from ambassadors of many nations, copies of news articles with our photos and story, etc. that were presented. Thailand is just 'on the wrong list' period.

Make up your mind, you can't have it both ways.

First you say there is no excuse for this attack with a waepon, then you backtrack as say that it must have been provoked. Did you watch the video? The farang was unarmed, walking away when he was attacked from behind. The farang may have balked at a fare price or had some verbal altercation with the Thai, but it is no excuse to kill him on the street.

This is my point exactly.

In most other countries you can express yourself and if offense is taken then you may get a punch in the face, and that is extreme in my book. But here, it is much more likely the offended will reach for a weapon and see it as justification to murder you.

I also agree with the other poster... Thais are very cowardly, because so many carry weapons. But I would say that above all this. Tuk Tuk and Taxi drivers are probably the worst to annoy. For some reason they seem to think they are above the law and almost always have a weapon and over react in a situation.

I will guarantee one thing is for sure.

The farang will in no way have deserved what he got, no matter what he did. This is why the attitude here to life is in total contradiction to the so called state religion of Buddhism.

That's why the streets are crawling with manky soi dogs, because they think it is wrong to control them by destruction orders, yet if a human offends another, they will shoot you or hack you down like a manky soi dog.

Please please lets have some logic here. What on earth has some nutcase got to do with a religion, or a state religion, or Buddhism?

I'll tell you, so you know from now on and don't need to worry yourself with your vexatious thought forms.

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING

ok?

Streuth mate give us all a break

Thailand is 95% Buddhist. So.....95 out of 100 taxi drivers would be Buddhist. So I guess that make the odds overwhelming that this taxi driver was a .....wait for it..... Buddhist. I have been here a long time and have heard a lot of Buddhist talk, but do not see a whole lot of Thai people following the precepts of Buddhism. Clearly this taxi driver is one of them...

How does this make any sense in terms of the insuations you are making?? Some of the most crime-ridden countries in the world (countries in Latin America, for instance) are predominantly Christian. Does that mean that Christians are prone to violence or that Christians are hypocrites etc etc? Of course not... so why are people always bringing religion into discussions of crime here? They are completely unrelated issues...

• Like 2

I was attacked at the corner of Suk soi 29 by a taxi driver with a tyre lever for taking the photo of his inside door licence plate,(something I always do when not comfortable), As I sat down he saw me take the pic - then he began arguing about turning on the meter.. I said no problems - then got out and we went crazy that I had taken his licence plate - he scrambled out of the car with the tyre lever (to teach me a lesson?) - I was able to get out before he reached the rear door and fend him off without being hit with several deliverate swings before exiting the scene... I was with a Danish lad who had just left the Admirals Hotel. In my mind the rapid escalation and volitility of that situation was a shock and makes other incidents inevitable.. many (most) taxi are great if you treat them with tact - but my lesson is dont even try to take the licence plate or confront them if things go sour - just get out and walk quickly away.

I think the most important thing is never get in the car before determining if they will go where you want and if meter or no meter. And if he looks sketchy or acts sketchy just move on. I agree though. When in the taxi just get out and move away. You can always catch a copy of the plate from a distance if needed.

• Like 1

I was robbed by a taxi driver at Laksi. He refused to give me the 80-baht change of a fare from Sukhumwit Rd.

Now, I try to avoid them like the plague. If, I do have to use a taxi there are three things which I do:

After entering the taxi I take a photograph of the taxi number with my phone - the number on the inside of the back door.

Have a pair of hardy shoes on - if chased by a driver with a weapon,

and ALWAYS have the correct fare money.

I don't think I'd take the photo, that could set someone off, too. But the advice about the correct fare is absolutely critical. I always carry lots of 20 baht bills just for that reason. The first week I was here, a taxi refused me change on on a 500 baht bill and I determined that I would never ever put myself in that situation again.

• Like 2

Thailand is 95% Buddhist. So.....95 out of 100 taxi drivers would be Buddhist. So I guess that make the odds overwhelming that this taxi driver was a .....wait for it..... Buddhist. I have been here a long time and have heard a lot of Buddhist talk, but do not see a whole lot of Thai people following the precepts of Buddhism. Clearly this taxi driver is one of them...

How does this make any sense in terms of the insuations you are making?? Some of the most crime-ridden countries in the world (countries in Latin America, for instance) are predominantly Christian. Does that mean that Christians are prone to violence or that Christians are hypocrites etc etc? Of course not... so why are people always bringing religion into discussions of crime here? They are completely unrelated issues...

AND... if you are going to use words such as "fact" or percentages, cite a source. Find a reputable website that substantiates your claim otherwise your words are just words with no substance.

I think the most important thing is never get in the car before determining if they will go where you want and if meter or no meter. And if he looks sketchy or acts sketchy just move on. I agree though. When in the taxi just get out and move away. You can always catch a copy of the plate from a distance if needed.

Absolutely lesson learned Bluecheese..!! one of those odd situations where you get in the car with someone else - he had gone a block before realising.. any nightlife situation can be dangerous in any country when you dont have your wits ... just the instantaneous volatity shocked me that time.

After many visits to Thailand, my observation is that many strange farang come here, so statistically, bad things are more likely to happen to them - believe me, after having worked many years in hospital emergency rooms, it's true. I don't know anything about the particulars of this case though. Bangkok is one of the safest large cities I have been to.

• Like 2