Abu Qatada deported from UK to stand trial in Jordan

Lite Beer

Abu Qatada deported from UK to stand trial in Jordan

LONDON: -- Radical cleric Abu Qatada has been deported from the UK to Jordan to stand trial on terrorism charges.

His plane left RAF Northolt at 02:45 BST to take him to his home country, which he has not visited in 20 years.

Home Secretary Theresa May said it "marks the conclusion of efforts to remove him... and I believe this will be welcomed by the British public."

The legal battle to deport Abu Qatada has lasted almost 10 years and has cost the UK more than £1.7m ($2.5m).

His deportation was approved after the UK and Jordan signed a treaty agreeing that evidence obtained through torture would not be used against him.

The BBC understands that he is being accompanied on the flight by six people from Jordan, comprising three security officials, a psychologist, a medical examiner and his Jordanian lawyer.

A convoy of three police vehicles left Belmarsh prison in south-east London, where the 53-year-old cleric had been held, at midnight, travelling over Tower Bridge and through the City on its way to the airfield in the west of the capital.

Eleventh hour
The Palestinian-Jordanian, whose real name is Omar Othman, lost his appeal against deportation at the Special Immigration Appeals Commission (Siac) in February 2007.

Read More: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23213740

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2013-07-07

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The real bill is so large it is almost incalculable. This guy and all his family have been living on State handouts for the majority of their time in the UK, which i believe is around 20 years, so just imagine the amount of money that has been thrown at them. I hope there is some way that the rest of his clan can be removed or they will at least have the decency to leave of their own free will, although the latter seems unlikely as they have had it too easy for too long.

This is merely the tip of the iceberg when it comes to how gutless Politicians of succeeding Governments in Britain have allowed immigrants to dominate proceedings once they get their feet under the table. Wave after wave of spineless Politicians kowtow to these people in the belief that it will gain them the election votes of the immigrants themselves and the flaky, liberal pacifist supportive idiots who do everything they can to destroy the British way of life.

I could go on for several pages but for sure i will be labeled 'Racist'. Sad that we no longer have leaders with true 'Bulldog Spirit'; today's poor excuses for leaders should hang their heads in eternal shame.

same thing happening in oz mate ...

The real bill is so large it is almost incalculable. This guy and all his family have been living on State handouts for the majority of their time in the UK, which i believe is around 20 years, so just imagine the amount of money that has been thrown at them. I hope there is some way that the rest of his clan can be removed or they will at least have the decency to leave of their own free will, although the latter seems unlikely as they have had it too easy for too long.

This is merely the tip of the iceberg when it comes to how gutless Politicians of succeeding Governments in Britain have allowed immigrants to dominate proceedings once they get their feet under the table. Wave after wave of spineless Politicians kowtow to these people in the belief that it will gain them the election votes of the immigrants themselves and the flaky, liberal pacifist supportive idiots who do everything they can to destroy the British way of life.

I could go on for several pages but for sure i will be labeled 'Racist'. Sad that we no longer have leaders with true 'Bulldog Spirit'; today's poor excuses for leaders should hang their heads in eternal shame.

Well said, although it also has to be said that today's good news is clearly a step in the right direction ..... it's just so ridiculous that it can that long..!

Quote from BBC

His deportation was finally able to proceed after the UK and Jordan signed a treaty agreeing that evidence obtained through torture would not be used against him.

So they are going to torture him then. Good.

• Like 1

Welcome news. I only wish UK could invoice Jordan for the bill.

The UK taxpayer is still on the hook supporting his wife and 5 children in the UK.

I wonder what kind of social security would be available for the family of a British offender in a similar situation in Jordan.

• Like 2

So glad he is out !!!

i am an imigrant here in Uk as well , how can someone act against a country which has been feeding, providing free accomodation for him and his extended family is beyond me . how he has been allowed to live on governement hand out while preaching hatred against occidental society is an utterly joke . while there are some things i personally do not agree with british politics i do abide by the rules of the country which has allowed me to prosper financially and take care of my family . if you dont like it .... get out!!!

even tough i am against the "rendition " process famous in the US i wish sometime we had the balls in this kind of extreme case to say that human rights are a wonderfull things which indeed are a safeguard which makes our society a better place but they should not apply to this kind of degenerated right wing hate mongers. he should have ended where he is a long time ago . good riddance britain , next please ..

a french man in London

Welcome news indeed! However I think the bill should be given to all the do-gooders, bleeding-heart lefties and the ridiulous EU human rights mob who have bent over backwards to protect this evil hate-monger for all these years.

i had no idea that British courts are members of the ridiculous EU human rights mob. please tell us more whistling.gif

• Like 1

The UK taxpayer is still on the hook supporting his wife and 5 children in the UK.

I wonder what kind of social security would be available for the family of a British offender in a similar situation in Jordan.

They should have been put on the plane with him.

It's called family reunification. They shouldn't split families up like that. It's not the humanitarian thing to do.

They should have been put on the plane with him.

It's called family reunification. They shouldn't split families up like that. It's not the humanitarian thing to do.

His family want to leave UK as they have suffered so much in racist UK.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/9771576/Abu-Qatada-family-say-they-want-to-leave-racist-UK.html

Edited by Mosha
  • Like 1