K & N filters

I know you guys are talking about the larger engines but even with my 1.5L with a 5 speed auto, I can notice a big difference with a K&N. The problem I have with the factory paper filter is just after a week or two I can notice a decline. Most noticeably in the down shifting, take off, and acceleration at higher speeds. Slow at all of those.

Anytime I change vehicles, the first thing I look for is the air filter change.

I've put the paper filter back in my swift as I want to compare performance and fuel consumption with the K&N. So far it seems the engine has a little bit less zing compared to the K&N - it seems to need more throttle input for the same acceleration. I have an app so might do some 0-100 runs and compare the filters. While its very early, the fuel consumption seems to be marginally better with the OEM filter...I'll keep monitoring it and hope to report back here:) I'm a maths teacher so like to diddle with the numbers..

Your engine is programmed & tuned for the airflow of the OE filter so if it gets more air (flow through a K&N) as I mentioned earlier it will need more fuel to compensate so better mileage on the OE filter, better performance on the K&N..

I really wonder on how much the acceleration time is gained on family road cars to make it all worth while, or whether the sound difference is just playing with the mind.

You comment reminds me of a Richard Harris Song. How to Handle a Woman, said the Fool to the Wise Old Man.thumbsup.gif

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way the K&N air filter affects any engine would depend, I would think, upon the characteristics of each engine model and any related mods that may be installed.

My first experience with a (CAI) K&N air filters was literally breath taking: You could actually hear the engine 'breathe' (exhale? coffee1.gif ) every time the ignition key was turned to off! The affect - if any - of the K&N air filters on these (low revving diesels - the MU-7, anyway), will be subtle but noticeable if you are at least moderately attuned to mechanical engine operations. It just happens to be a good combination with the installed Racechip, in my case.

Maybe this is the working equation(?):

[Racechip = customized fuel injection + K&N air filter = improved air flow (intake)] = (potentially) Better than OEM performance

• Like 1

I know you guys are talking about the larger engines but even with my 1.5L with a 5 speed auto, I can notice a big difference with a K&N. The problem I have with the factory paper filter is just after a week or two I can notice a decline. Most noticeably in the down shifting, take off, and acceleration at higher speeds. Slow at all of those.

Anytime I change vehicles, the first thing I look for is the air filter change.

I've put the paper filter back in my swift as I want to compare performance and fuel consumption with the K&N. So far it seems the engine has a little bit less zing compared to the K&N - it seems to need more throttle input for the same acceleration. I have an app so might do some 0-100 runs and compare the filters. While its very early, the fuel consumption seems to be marginally better with the OEM filter...I'll keep monitoring it and hope to report back here:) I'm a maths teacher so like to diddle with the numbers..

Your engine is programmed & tuned for the airflow of the OE filter so if it gets more air (flow through a K&N) as I mentioned earlier it will need more fuel to compensate so better mileage on the OE filter, better performance on the K&N..

After about 130 kms back on the OEM filter (it's mostly new), it really does feel more sluggish than the K&N. The throttle response is less too. However, the FC seems to be approaching that i get with the K&N - around 14.5-15 km/l. I'll persist with it and see how it goes.

The way the K&N air filter affects any engine would depend, I would think, upon the characteristics of each engine model and any related mods that may be installed.

My first experience with a (CAI) K&N air filters was literally breath taking: You could actually hear the engine 'breathe' (exhale? coffee1.gif ) every time the ignition key was turned to off! The affect - if any - of the K&N air filters on these (low revving diesels - the MU-7, anyway), will be subtle but noticeable if you are at least moderately attuned to mechanical engine operations. It just happens to be a good combination with the installed Racechip, in my case.

Maybe this is the working equation(?):

[Racechip = customized fuel injection + K&N air filter = improved air flow (intake)] = (potentially) Better than OEM performance

On petrol engines, the catalytic converter is restrictive....removing this gives some increase in performance. Some people are putting headers on a swift and removing the cat too, for good performance gains, even using the stock filter. I'd be inclined to get a high flow cat if I went that route. Not sure about exhausts on trucks though.

On petrol engines, the catalytic converter is restrictive....removing this gives some increase in performance. Some people are putting headers on a swift and removing the cat too, for good performance gains, even using the stock filter. I'd be inclined to get a high flow cat if I went that route. Not sure about exhausts on trucks though.

That is the route for good performance gains from a petrol engine .... limited by the capabilities of the engine, of course. That also bares out the theory that TransAm said earlier: improving both the exhaust and the intake.

That is the route for good performance gains from a petrol engine .... limited by the capabilities of the engine, of course. That also bares out the theory that TransAm said earlier: improving both the exhaust and the intake.

That's performance 101 - more air in, more smog out :)

What really makes the big different is more air + more fuel in - then you might actually get more HP ;)

That's performance 101 - more air in, more smog out smile.png

What really makes the big different is more air + more fuel in - then you might actually get more HP wink.png

Yep, we can fiddle around and gain a little. Camshaft change is the key. A cat can be restrictive but remember performance production cars have them. smile.png

I fitted a K & N to my ol' hotrod 20 years ago and never changed it. Because of my setup I used a filter perhaps a bit small for a 6.8 titre engine that revved to 6800 rpm through an 800 cfm carb, all via a cam that was a bit wild for the street whistling.gif , in fact that wild it only supplied 5 hg of vacuum for the brakes w00t.gif , hence a fitted electric vac pump facepalm.gif. The filter was 11x3 inches with a filtered top. My point, the car ran the same times on the strip with or without that filter drawing in incredible amounts of air. thumbsup.gif

For the daily driver, with a K & N filter, it will do the job of a NEW stock filter EVER day for ever, it will not reduce in air flow unless you drag in water etc. thumbsup.gif

post-41816-0-49857500-1376023709_thumb.j

Edited by transam

That's performance 101 - more air in, more smog out smile.png

What really makes the big different is more air + more fuel in - then you might actually get more HP wink.png

Yep, we can fiddle around and gain a little. Camshaft change is the key. A cat can be restrictive but remember performance production cars have them. smile.png

Camshafts are a good way to go - had a race cam put in my mini - the problem was it didn't have much power down low but would kick you in the back at high rpm. They need ecu tuning on modern cars though. I think with all these NA changes that can be made with quality products, it's just cheaper to slap a turbo on the stock engine for decent performance on low boost....cvt's don't like big boost much though:)