K & N filters

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This topic caught my eye because I was surprised to learn that our LOS diesels could benefit from K&N filters! (Why didn't TransAm let us know about this long ago??) facepalm.gif

I did, a long time ago, even said take a close look at my avatar. smile.png

I thought you would probably say that ... I must have been on vacation! guitar.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gif

Srat, you miss all the good stuff. smile.png

So who re sets the Air /Volume,tickover settings for you.?.

In my day a screw drive did all that but think on board comps do it for you now a days. thumbsup.gif

What I meant was, after installing a K&N air filter, if, after a year of smooth performance at mfg Racechip setting, my engine became noticeably rougher (due to the greater efficiency of the K&N air flow), I would start adjusting the settings of the Racechip ..... but I hope it doesn't come to that.

In my day a screw drive did all that but think on board comps do it for you now a days. thumbsup.gif

What I meant was, after installing a K&N air filter, if, after a year of smooth performance at mfg Racechip setting, my engine became noticeably rougher (due to the greater efficiency of the K&N air flow), I would start adjusting the settings of the Racechip ..... but I hope it doesn't come to that.

Diesel engine, laugh.png good salesmen at K & N. whistling.gif

• Like 1

Try this vendor:

http://www.absolute-premiumparts.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=42&Itemid=37

For memory most of their drop-in replacements are around 2000-2300, and the cleaning kits were around 400 Baht for the small one and 700 Baht for the large one. Genuine K&N.

phoned absolute-premiumparts friday

then they sent a text message with amount and acc number

paid at nearest bank and texted my adress

got the filter and cleaning set the day after(saturday) in pattaya

thats quick, about 3000 thb for my Vigo

• Like 1

Try this vendor:

http://www.absolute-premiumparts.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=42&Itemid=37

For memory most of their drop-in replacements are around 2000-2300, and the cleaning kits were around 400 Baht for the small one and 700 Baht for the large one. Genuine K&N.

phoned absolute-premiumparts friday

then they sent a text message with amount and acct number

paid at nearest bank and texted my address

got the filter and cleaning set the day after(Saturday) in Pattaya

that's quick, about 3000 THB for my Vigo

Thanks for the K&N Filter vendor info!! thumbsup.gif

I just placed my order ..... but I communicated via email.

Looking to be enjoying that (little) extra performance boost early next week!

Don't think you will notice a lot. Where the K&N comes into it's own is with high revving engines that require (oxygen) air cfm. With low rev (cfm) any filter is OK until it clogs up. K&N say, their filters work OK when clogged up. In fact 100,000 miles before cleaning with street use.

Don't think you will notice a lot. Where the K&N comes into it's own is with high revving engines that require (oxygen) air cfm. With low rev (cfm) any filter is OK until it clogs up. K&N say, their filters work OK when clogged up. In fact 100,000 miles before cleaning with street use.

Thats said it all.. T.A.. A "Screamin 450 Horse Scoobie Doo and Evo Benefis". But Clonkers ?, up to you, if it Toots Yer Flute and blue plastic pipe grabs yer.thumbsup.gif

Thats said it all.. T.A.. A "Screamin 450 Horse Scoobie Doo and Evo Benefis". But Clonkers ?, up to you, if it Toots Yer Flute and blue plastic pipe grabs yer.thumbsup.gif

Well yeh, if one fits a K&N to a daily ride then you can fit and forget. Never needs replacing. Whether the financial thing comes into it depends on mileage for your daily ride use. I drag raced with open carb and then with a K&N, times the same for my ''street'' ride. They are good but do not expect G-force improvements on daily rides. smile.png

.... They are good but do not expect G-force improvements on daily rides. smile.png

So it's in the higher revving engines that the K&N filters shine! I take it our 3.0L diesels are comparatively low revers?

You're right, any performance gain may not necessarily pin your backs to the seat, though my first K&N CAI coupled with an installed X-pipe mod surely did!

.... They are good but do not expect G-force improvements on daily rides. smile.png

So it's in the higher revving engines that the K&N filters shine! I take it our 3.0L diesels are comparatively low revers?

You're right, any performance gain may not necessarily pin your backs to the seat, though my first K&N CAI coupled with an installed X-pipe mod surely did!

The other mod with the combined filter improvement made your difference. What goes in must come out. Yes/No. smile.png

No good trying to improve oxygen flow if restricted by a Cat, or a daft designed muffler eh. smile.png

• Like 2

The other mod with the combined filter improvement made your difference. What goes in must come out. Yes/No. smile.png

No good trying to improve oxygen flow if restricted by a Cat, or a daft designed muffler eh. smile.png

That's what I like about this forum: If one pays attention, a beginner like me can pickup some good pointers here!

1) K&N Filters work best on high revving engines ....

2) No good trying trying to improve oxygen flow (intake) w/o freeing restrictions in exhaust system (Catalytic converter, restrictive muffler, etc.)

So, is this where EGR blanking and DPF pipe dump mods would be the most beneficial?

Appart from a Sporty Intake Roar, do they make a difference.?.thumbsup.gif

I spent a lot of time surfing the net to answer this question. Almost everyone using them ( in the States ) said they noticed an improvement in performance and some noticed better fuel economy as well. The reason given was the improved air flow and more efficient combustion produced by the K&N filters.

However................. one researcher pointed out the following. If you hold up a conventional paper filter to the light you'll notice no light coming through. If you do the same to a K&N filter apparently you will see lots of minute holes in a grid pattern across the filter. These holes, as well as improving airflow will also allow more minute particles of detritus like dirt and dust to pass through into the combustion chamber. In America where the roads for the most part are not as dusty as here this should not be a problem . However, prolonged use in a country like Thailand might increase engine wear.

This is NOT my opinion, just passing on what I read on the net so if you feel like tearing this opinion to pieces.....feel free to do so but leave me out of it coffee1.gif

If your going to get a K& N you may as well get a Nitto exhaust too, the one where you can stick your head in. I find the Thai pickup truck magazines are full of adverts for this. Well that's where I get my stuff.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Appart from a Sporty Intake Roar, do they make a difference.?.thumbsup.gif

I spent a lot of time surfing the net to answer this question. Almost everyone using them ( in the States ) said they noticed an improvement in performance and some noticed better fuel economy as well. The reason given was the improved air flow and more efficient combustion produced by the K&N filters.

However................. one researcher pointed out the following. If you hold up a conventional paper filter to the light you'll notice no light coming through. If you do the same to a K&N filter apparently you will see lots of minute holes in a grid pattern across the filter. These holes, as well as improving airflow will also allow more minute particles of detritus like dirt and dust to pass through into the combustion chamber. In America where the roads for the most part are not as dusty as here this should not be a problem . However, prolonged use in a country like Thailand might increase engine wear.

This is NOT my opinion, just passing on what I read on the net so if you feel like tearing this opinion to pieces.....feel free to do so but leave me out of it coffee1.gif

Not disagreeing mind you, but just curious, was that visual test done before the K&N was coated or after? Without the oil coating they are more porous which is the reason for the oil, to collect more debris and act as a magnet for dirt..

Perhaps I should try and point out the difference between the OEM paper filter and the K&N ''see through filter''. OEM is paper with minute holes in to trap crap. Once that hole has trapped crap it is blocked for good. Over time most of the holes get blocked up and you have to buy a new one. K&N devised a different approach to intake air filtration, they developed a media that would let through far more air BUT the key was oil, yeh, that sticky stuff. That sticky stuff caught the nasty stuff. They provide a kit to wash and re-oil the media if required.

I had one on my ride for 20 years and cleaned it twice. My engine could pull 800 cubic feet per minute of air and never had a problem with intake crap.

Gawd, a secret now xhuh.png.pagespeed.ic.6VcCaNwNXg.png , my ride in LOS is now six years old and still has the original air w00t.gif filter.

Take the filter out and back flush it. With an air line, point the air jet at the inside of the filter and blast it whistling.gif , clouds of crap will be let loose opening up those wee holes. smile.png

If your going to get a K& N you may as well get a Nitto exhaust too, the one where you can stick your head in. I find the Thai pickup truck magazines are full of adverts for this. Well that's where I get my stuff.

Thanks for the tip! It sounds like this is a required (moderate level?) mod (to work in conjunction with EGR blanking & DFP dump pipe) together with a K&N (CAI) filter to get the most performance boost out of the (air) intake - exhaust system of our LOS 3.0L diesels?

I fitted a K&N to our old PJS - no noticeable changes, not even noisier.

That's one for the 'Low Rev Engine = Less Performance Gain' theory, but then again, post #27 and his TW noticed some difference wink.png so we shall see. Besides, it was never going to be a 'big' obvious type difference but more of a 'subtle type difference in the way the engine purrs' is the only way I can explain it ... and maybe a little difference on (hard) accelerations.

Later this week, I should be posting my first hand observations of any noticeable performance differences when I install a K&N filter.

Edited by thailoht

Thanks for the tip! It sounds like this is a required (moderate level?) mod (to work in conjunction with EGR blanking & DFP dump pipe) together with a K&N (CAI) filter to get the most performance boost out of the (air) intake - exhaust system of our LOS 3.0L diesels?

That's one for the 'Low Rev Engine = Less Performance Gain' theory, but then again, post #27 and his TW noticed some difference wink.png so we shall see. Besides, it was never going to be a 'big' obvious type difference but more of a 'subtle type difference in the way the engine purrs' is the only way I can explain it ... and maybe a little difference on (hard) accelerations.

Later this week, I should be posting my first hand observations of any noticeable performance differences when I install a K&N filter.

I always like to validate changes with a few Dynolicious test runs - when I say no changes, I mean down to +/- 0.1s no changes ;)

• Like 1

I always like to validate changes with a few Dynolicious test runs - when I say no changes, I mean down to +/- 0.1s no changes wink.png

Well, that sure looks to be definitive!

For the record, what year and engine type are we talking about?

Are there inexpensive machines that can be bought or local area shops to run Dynolicious tests?

Are there inexpensive machines that can be bought or local area shops to run Dynolicious tests?

That was a 2010 PJS 2.5GT (140HP stock), with Racechip, boost controller, throttle controller and dump pipe, making around 190HP. K&N filter adding approx 0HP ;)

Dynolicious is an iOS app :) it's pretty accurate: http://www.dynolicious.com/

That was a 2010 PJS 2.5GT (140HP stock), with Racechip, boost controller, throttle controller and dump pipe, making around 190HP. K&N filter adding approx 0HP wink.png

Dynolicious is an iOS app smile.png it's pretty accurate: http://www.dynolicious.com/

Oh, That nice little app! If I can find a comparable Android app, I may be able to post those results too! Otherwise, I will dig out the old (US version) iPhone 3s and see if I can get it going.

Look's like you have all the 'mod' bases covered on your 2010 2.5GT PJS and gained a nice ~ 35+% performance increase for your efforts.

Delving into the theoretical, with you having the dump pipe mod and the K&N filter, maybe improving the air intake (via CAI?) and/or improving the exhaust output - thanx TransAm - would bring about a little more performance boost. Then too, at some point, it comes down to the inherent limits of the engine's design.

Well, I finally installed and tested the K&N filter. I had removed the Racechip earlier this week prior to a dealer service check up. To my amazement, my SUV seems to be riding just as peppy as it was with the chip connected - (uh-oh! blink.png )!! Anyway, I have been riding with the K&N in my stock engine.

Though everything is peppy, (the inherent nature of the stock beast?), I can't distinguish the same difference as I did when I first installed a K&N filter (though admittedly CAI) into a higher revving (performance) petrol engined car - Trans was right (once again) about this, in his earlier post!

Without the Racechip, I do think the passing gear isn't quite as spunky, though.

I will re-connect the Racechip and report my observations with it and the K&N filter.