K & N filters

I am a big fan of K&N filters but there doesn't appear to be many options for purchasing here. I searched online and came up with one supplier for motorcycles and another for cars. I am interested in the filter for a car. I contacted the dealer and he quoted B5000 for the filter and another B1500 for the cleaning kit.

In the US, I could buy the pair for under $50. These Thai prices are absolutely outrageous. Does anyone have any experience with this and are there other stores available?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They will last the lifetime of the car (they need cleaning regularly) and do improve performance. However you need to be careful when having your car serviced or Somchai the mechanic will throw it away and replace it with a standard paper element without noticing the difference.

If you buy from a Thai K&N distributor (as linked earlier) the "Stop!" sticker supplied is in both Thai and English - so as long as your mechanic can read at least one of them you should be OK ;)

They will last the lifetime of the car (they need cleaning regularly) and do improve performance. However you need to be careful when having your car serviced or Somchai the mechanic will throw it away and replace it with a standard paper element without noticing the difference.

Yes I had one garage almost throw mine away. They put in a paper one but luckily left the original in the boot. I took the paper one back and got my money back on that. That filter paid for itself in 100K kms, but then there is the ongoing cost of cleaner and oil. Not noticed much difference in performance / fuel economy / noise with it. Need to tell the mechanic each time not to touch the filter.

I kept the paper filter for my swift,and have done 5500 kms with the k&n filter. I've recorded fuel economy, so I'm tempted to drop the paper one back in for a few thousand kms and compare the economy.

Appart from a Sporty Intake Roar, do they make a difference.?.thumbsup.gif

Actually we found the best air filters for our race cars were the cheapest Chinese tissue paper ones we could find. We just changed them constantly but in terms of actual power and air flow they worked the best and gave us an edge in hp gains when running in equal equipment in spec series..

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 1

I emailed Absolute-Premiumparts.com and they promptly emailed me back and said he was out of stock for my car but would contact me when his next shipment came in.

This was his quote:

For a Honda City

Filter 1890 baht

Small cleaning kit set 420 baht

EMS delivery charge 120per set

Total 2430 baht

That I can live with.

And yes it improves performance and it doesn't clog like the paper filters. When I change my filter on my City, I can feel a big difference in response.

• Like 1

I emailed Absolute-Premiumparts.com and they promptly emailed me back and said he was out of stock for my car but would contact me when his next shipment came in.
This was his quote:
For a Honda City
Filter 1890 baht
Small cleaning kit set 420 baht
EMS delivery charge 120per set
Total 2430 baht
That I can live with.
And yes it improves performance and it doesn't clog like the paper filters. When I change my filter on my City, I can feel a big difference in response.

Nice to see a reply from a user for once.Thats worth remembering.thumbsup.gif

Actually we found the best air filters for our race cars were the cheapest Chinese tissue paper ones we could find. We just changed them constantly but in terms of actual power and air flow they worked the best and gave us an edge in hp gains when running in equal equipment in spec series..

Will a Box of Kleenex do the same.whistling.gif

I bought a K&N panel for my Audi while overseas and hand carried it in. Small saving but was mostly because it wasn't available off the shelf locally. Should be easier to find for more popular cars like Jazz and Altis etc.

I actually prefer ITG foam filters to K&N and have a pair fitted to my BMW.. Good air flow, protects the engine and the induction roar of twin 40's is hard to beat.

post-39406-0-75332000-1373337906_thumb.j

post-39406-0-03081900-1373337979_thumb.j

• Like 1

No but one used to be able to can buy a unit that used a toiler roll as an oil filter whistling.gif

NOScompleteKit.JPG

• Like 1

I bought a K&N panel for my Audi while overseas and hand carried it in. Small saving but was mostly because it wasn't available off the shelf locally. Should be easier to find for more popular cars like Jazz and Altis etc.

I actually prefer ITG foam filters to K&N and have a pair fitted to my BMW.. Good air flow, protects the engine and the induction roar of twin 40's is hard to beat.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Yep that would sound a beast! Much better sound than more modern engines, short of adding ITB's smile.png

Probably not, but a K&N is just woven cotton..

I have a K&N on my Vigo, bought it off eBay UK and paid no duty on it at all. It was £45 plus £5.99 postage. I checked the onboard computer before I changed it and it said it was doing 11.2km to the litre. After I changed the filter I checked the computer and it said 13.4km to the litre. With regards to performance I didn't really notice a lot of extra power but it was a little bit more grunty. My wife asked "whats happened to the car, whats that noise"? So she noticed a difference in the engine tone and when she drove it she says its got more power.

This topic caught my eye because I was surprised to learn that our LOS diesels could benefit from K&N filters! (Why didn't TransAm let us know about this long ago??) facepalm.gif

Cool!!

Like your wife, I can gladly testify to the noticeable performance 'ummph' these filters definitely produce after having installed one in a petrol BMW 3.0i - the sole result of the engine being able to 'breathe' better?)!! thumbsup.gif

I will be looking for a couple for my Isuzu 3.0L ...... Wonder if/how it will affect my Racechip setting?

I have a K&N on my Vigo, bought it off eBay UK and paid no duty on it at all. It was £45 plus £5.99 postage. I checked the onboard computer before I changed it and it said it was doing 11.2km to the litre. After I changed the filter I checked the computer and it said 13.4km to the litre. With regards to performance I didn't really notice a lot of extra power but it was a little bit more grunty. My wife asked "whats happened to the car, whats that noise"? So she noticed a difference in the engine tone and when she drove it she says its got more power.

This topic caught my eye because I was surprised to learn that our LOS diesels could benefit from K&N filters! (Why didn't TransAm let us know about this long ago??) facepalm.gif

Cool!!

Like your wife, I can gladly testify to the noticeable performance 'ummph' these filters definitely produce after having installed one in a petrol BMW 3.0i - the sole result of the engine being able to 'breathe' better?)!! thumbsup.gif

I will be looking for a couple for my Isuzu 3.0L ...... Wonder if/how it will affect my Racechip setting?

I did, a long time ago, even said take a close look at my avatar. smile.png

I did, a long time ago, even said take a close look at my avatar. smile.png

I thought you would probably say that ... I must have been on vacation! guitar.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gif

• Like 1