Citbank Australia Changes Terms & Conditions

I have been commenting and recommending on this forum the Citibank Online Cash Manager account for sometime now and now I must inform you all that the Terms and Conditions for this account has changed, effectivce 9 May 2006.

From May 9th. they are removing the flat $4 overseas withdrawal fee. The overseas ATM withdrawal fee will now be 2.5% of the Australian Dollar value of your withdrawal.

Last year a 30,000 baht withdrawal cost me $4 AUD.

Now a 30,000 baht withdrawal will cost me $27 AUD.

That is a massive increase of 700%.

I would now strongly recommend you try have a flat fee overseas debit card, the going rate in OZ in $5 for overseas withdrawals. Check to make sure no conversion fees are charged on top of that. It is about 50/50% of banks that do and don't charge this fee. I will now have to look at my alternatives as this fee is way over the top, cheers.

Banks and fees :D

My money is in a credit union...no share holders, small fees...(if any).

I carry enough cash on the 'plane to pay for my holidayin Thailand, but if I run out, I have my Thai bank account with available funds and I have my credit union credit card for cash withdrawals if needed.

Why keep your money in a bank ? :o

NAB charge $4 PLUS 1% conversion charge of the Australian amount withdrawn. Bendigo charges $5 plus the conversion charge.

Farma, what is the max you have taken out with your CBA card in Thailand?

Mighty Mouse, could you tell me which Credit Union you use and how much is the charge for an overseas withdrawal, thanks.

I got caught using a debit card from St George bank over the Xmas period in Thailand.

Now all my money was in a savings account and i only got the debit card because i need to book hotels and internet purcahses from time to time and i don't have a credit card.

Over a period of 10 days i racked up nearly 300 dollars in bank charges as a result of using this card for ATM withdrawls even thou the money was taken from my savings account according to the bank it was accessed via visa and therefore credit card cash advances applied.

Outrageous and i was even charged a couple of times for checking my balance for sums like 9 and 10 dollars.

Bastards.

Mighty Mouse, could you tell me which Credit Union you use and how much is the charge for an overseas withdrawal, thanks.

I'm with the Police Credit Union, Sydney.

For an international visa cash advance or an ATM withdrawal, the charge is AUS $3.80

I use the cash advance option to top up my Thai bank account whenever the exchange rate is high.

I never use the ATM's and the only purchase I make with the visa card is my hotel accommodation payment.

Thanks for the replies, I just found this gem on the web here in Sydney. Ideal for overseas.

Wizard Clear Advantage Mastercard

I called them and asked if I could pre load my card and then withdraw overseas and they said yes. If I do that then there are no fees at all, no ATM fee, no conversion fee and no cash advance fee.

The only thing you pay for is 12.4% interest from the date you make your cash advance, however if you pre load your card (put it in credit) no interest either, cheers.