Back-packers of the world unite.

Chiengmaijoe

I was in a night-bazaar pub tonight that was packed out for the Wimbledon final (well done Andy) and I don't think I've ever seen so many people sit for so long nursing 1beer. People were being turned away because the place was full, but these guys were quite happy to sit there for hours on end with empty glasses. As far as I could see, some didn't even order a single drink . I got the impression that so long as they ordered 1 drink they thought they were entitled to sit there all night. I guess it's that's time of year again, the universities are closed so the penniless students are flooding into Chieng Mai.

• Like 1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive seen loads of bag packers who will walk for several miles to save 15 to 20 baht bus charge, when i ask them as to why they make demselves suffer dis way, to which most of dem reply its more of an achievement to travel x number of countries and survive for several months or years in a very limited budget and few of them take it as an survival experience of life.

I met a traveller who had plans to head forward to few south asian and south american countries for around 1 year with a budget of 6000 dollars. Ive seen rooms as cheap as 100 baht per day in bkk and mostly fully occupied. I fail to understand this idea at times but i respect it as altogether a new wAy of surviving.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ive seen loads of bag packers who will walk for several miles to save 15 to 20 baht bus charge, when i ask them as to why they make demselves suffer dis way, to which most of dem reply its more of an achievement to travel x number of countries and survive for several months or years in a very limited budget and few of them take it as an survival experience of life. I met a traveller who had plans to head forward to few south asian and south american countries for around 1 year with a budget of 6000 dollars. Ive seen rooms as cheap as 100 baht per day in bkk and mostly fully occupied. I fail to understand this idea at times but i respect it as altogether a new wAy of surviving. Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

These guys have nothing like 6000 dollars. If they're on a survival course , good luck to them, but I think that sitting in busy bars at prime time without spending any money shows a lack of respect for the business owner and the staff. My favourite backpackers are the ones that travel thousands of miles to come to Chieng Mai to sit in the gutters late at night drinking Chang. I wonder if they ever sat in the gutter drinking beers back home. Along the moat and around along Rajavittee rd seems to be the favourite spot for that, particularly late at night. That side to them I think is quite funny. Almost as funny as the ones that think they're going native by walking around town barefoot. Edited by Chiengmaijoe

Ive seen loads of bag packers who will walk for several miles to save 15 to 20 baht bus charge, when i ask them as to why they make demselves suffer dis way, to which most of dem reply its more of an achievement to travel x number of countries and survive for several months or years in a very limited budget and few of them take it as an survival experience of life. I met a traveller who had plans to head forward to few south asian and south american countries for around 1 year with a budget of 6000 dollars. Ive seen rooms as cheap as 100 baht per day in bkk and mostly fully occupied. I fail to understand this idea at times but i respect it as altogether a new wAy of surviving. Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

These guys have nothing like 6000 dollars. If they're on a survival course , good luck to them, but I think that sitting in busy bars at prime time without spending any money shows a lack of respect for the business owner and the staff. My favourite backpackers are the ones that travel thousands of miles to come to Chieng Mai to sit in the gutters late at night drinking Chang. I wonder if they ever sat in the gutter drinking beers back home. Along the moat and around along Rajavittee rd seems to be the favourite spot for that, particularly late at night. That side to them I think is quite funny. Almost as funny as the ones that think they're going native by walking around town barefoot.

Again we canot stereotype bag-packers, where you find good fishes you will surely find bad ones and not so good ones as well. Budget travelling and cheap travelling are different.

I believe one can travel at a limited budget but not at the cost of skewing up others. I understand your point.

• Like 1

You could have offered to buy them a round

I was tempted to ask them if they would like a drink and when they said "yes, I'll have a Chang" I could have called the waitress and said, " Nong, this guy wants to order a Chang". Always good for a laugh.

• Like 2

These guys have nothing like 6000 dollars. If they're on a survival course , good luck to them, but I think that sitting in busy bars at prime time without spending any money shows a lack of respect for the business owner and the staff. My favourite backpackers are the ones that travel thousands of miles to come to Chieng Mai to sit in the gutters late at night drinking Chang. I wonder if they ever sat in the gutter drinking beers back home. Along the moat and around along Rajavittee rd seems to be the favourite spot for that, particularly late at night. That side to them I think is quite funny. Almost as funny as the ones that think they're going native by walking around town barefoot.
Again we canot stereotype bag-packers, where you find good fishes you will surely find bad ones and not so good ones as well. Budget travelling and cheap travelling are different.

I believe one can travel at a limited budget but not at the cost of skewing up others. I understand your point.

I wouldn't stereotype them, I was just pointing out the fact that this is the time of year when they are about and high-lighted the fact that the cheap ones amongst them seemed to have congregated in one bar tonight. They are mostly harmless, and these days the real cheap backpackers are an exception rather than the norm. What with student loans, and mummy and daddy helping out most young travellers have a fair bit to spend when it comes to going out. They may well stay in cheap guest houses but they've got money to spend on booze, and they're normally out to get pissed. Edited by Chiengmaijoe

I was riding a songteaw in Chiangmai when two pack-mules backpacking femen wanted a ride but not after a real discussion with the driver to bargain 5thb off 20thb, with a pathetic argument like 'but we are with the two of us' without success. They must have read somewhere that 'in Thailand you must bargain everywhere' and thus they did.

Backpackers... they sit in authentic-seeming cafes that are secretly made just for them. They congregate in great hordes in backpacker-approved areas, drinking beer out of strange, unwashed receptacles and showing one another their interesting, “ethnic” tattoos.

Here a very funny article on backpacker stereotypes from around the world.

• Like 1

I think the grumpy old bastard brigade is just jealous. rolleyes.gif

Anyway, this is a pretty vintage topic; 'backpackers vs old (s)expats' used to be a lot more common. smile.png

I highly resent your inference that I am a grumpy old bastard.biggrin.png

but I admit I am jealous.sad.png

Drinking beer in gutters back home, yes definitely. Stop judging them and worry about cleaning up your own backyard.

I think the grumpy old bastard brigade is just jealous. rolleyes.gif

Anyway, this is a pretty vintage topic; 'backpackers vs old (s)expats' used to be a lot more common. smile.png

I too resent that inference..... my parents were married. The rest may however be true!

What is this? Grumpy old regular's table? Why shouldn't young people, students, and other people with little means have the right to travel and see the word? If you worry about the bar owner incurring losses, pay for the next round and watch the ensuing happiness. biggrin.png

Cheers, CM-Expat

• Like 2

I just shake my head every time I see barefoot backpackers on the street's of Chiangmai.facepalm.gif

I think it's great to see young people who have taken time out or on a gap year, travelling the world on a shoe string....... But I don't understand farangs who 'look clean' but when you get near them the BO literally knocks you over and often they are together with someone who wreaks of garlic & chillis......together a lethal combination. sick.gif

I agree, the majority of backpackers are fine, they help the local economy, liven up the social scene, and most will be better informed, more mature people for their experience. There's no denying that a few give the the whole group a bad name, especially the ones who skip out of guesthouses, restaurants and bars without paying, and the ones who think the backpacker experience requires going days without a bath. However we shouldn't judge all of them by this small minority.

Regarding your other observation--sorry, but I like garlic and chillis, and I'm not going to stop eating them.

I think it's great to see young people who have taken time out or on a gap year, travelling the world on a shoe string....... But I don't understand farangs who 'look clean' but when you get near them the BO literally knocks you over and often they are together with someone who wreaks of garlic & chillis......together a lethal combination. sick.gif

I agree, the majority of backpackers are fine, they help the local economy, liven up the social scene, and most will be better informed, more mature people for their experience. There's no denying that a few give the the whole group a bad name, especially the ones who skip out of guesthouses, restaurants and bars without paying, and the ones who think the backpacker experience requires going days without a bath. However we shouldn't judge all of them by this small minority.

Regarding your other observation--sorry, but I like garlic and chillis, and I'm not going to stop eating them.

The combination of garlic, chillis and strong BO together is the killer.biggrin.png

I've seen that same "nursing one beer" at a sports bar or "nursing one coffee" at a place with free wifi behavior from some longterm expats too.

Probably more so than the backpackers.

What is this? Grumpy old regular's table? Why shouldn't young people, students, and other people with little means have the right to travel and see the word? If you worry about the bar owner incurring losses, pay for the next round and watch the ensuing happiness. biggrin.png

Cheers, CM-Expat

I think it's great to see young people who have taken time out or on a gap year, travelling the world on a shoe string. It's something I have done in my younger years, thoroughly enjoyed it and took advantage of every penny I could save.

.....But most young people grow out of it......??????? whistling.gifwai2.giftongue.png

• Like 1

The combination of garlic, chillis and strong BO together is the killer.biggrin.png

There was a thread on ThaiVisa some time ago where someone inquired where to buy good antiperspirants and/r deodorants. The thread brought out quite a few who were adamantly opposed to such things.

Saw a couple of israeli girls at the night market, they were trying to get a fruit shake discounted from 20B to 5B!!! Of course the old lady selling was having none of it. Eventually the 2 girls got mad and walked of. Old lady seemed embarressed by the whole incidentohmy.png

• Like 1