Back-packers of the world unite.

Chiengmaijoe

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw a couple of israeli girls at the night market, they were trying to get a fruit shake discounted from 20B to 5B!!! Of course the old lady selling was having none of it. Eventually the 2 girls got mad and walked of. Old lady seemed embarressed by the whole incidentohmy.png

Humanity is embarrassed.

• Like 2

My favourite backpackers are the ones that travel thousands of miles to come to Chieng Mai to sit in the gutters late at night drinking Chang.

I could care less if they want to live super-cheaply as long as they are not hurting anyone else, but taking up a table at a restauarnt for hours and hours without buying anything is keeping paying customers from getting a space.

And they buy lots of 2nd hand books!! Sorry UG, had to let the truth out.

I'll bet that you [as I did] first came to Asia with a back pack and then later returned with suitcases. I get a little peeved by the 'hi so backpacker bashers', as it was the backpackers that put LOS on the map and maybe we should also give the sex tourists a little credit while we're at it.

JDG-

Are you really talking about the same type of backpackers then and now?

I've seen that same "nursing one beer" at a sports bar or "nursing one coffee" at a place with free wifi behavior from some longterm expats too.

What is this? Grumpy old regular's table? Why shouldn't young people, students, and other people with little means have the right to travel and see the word? If you worry about the bar owner incurring losses, pay for the next round and watch the ensuing happiness. biggrin.png

Cheers, CM-Expat

I think it's great to see young people who have taken time out or on a gap year, travelling the world on a shoe string. It's something I have done in my younger years, thoroughly enjoyed it and took advantage of every penny I could save.

.....But most young people grow out of it......??????? whistling.gifwai2.giftongue.png

I want to grow into it. But my body is ignoring my wishes.

.....But most young people grow out of it......??????? whistling.gifwai2.giftongue.png

Listen mate, the day I ask for a 10% discount at The Pun Pun, will be the day to have a pop at me. biggrin.png

Oh and for those who don't already know, ID your TV name at The Pun Pun and receive 10% discount off food and drink (it does include drink, doesn't it)?

But if you prefer to be a pain in Gonzo's rear, don't ID yourself, don't take the discount and just enjoy the good food.wink.png

Edited by uptheos

I guess the backpackers might say "why is the OP complaining -- he lives here yet he's too cheap to get decent TV service so can watch sports in the comfort of his home and not stand around a public bar giving us the stink-eye. If the bar owner has a problem with us, it's up to him/her to tell us, not this self-appointed "bar manager".

• Like 2

I guess the backpackers might say "why is the OP complaining -- he lives here yet he's too cheap to get decent TV service so can watch sports in the comfort of his home and not stand around a public bar giving us the stink-eye. If the bar owner has a problem with us, it's up to him/her to tell us, not this self-appointed "bar manager".

What a stupid backpacker he would be. I would have thought he'd appreciate the fact that plenty of people prefer to watch a major sport event in the company of like-minde fans and enjoy the banter of a pub as opposed to watching it at home. As a local, I obviously know the owner and he was frustrated by the fact that so many were good at drinking a small bottle of beer for three hours , tiny sip by tiny sip. I don't see where you got the idea that I told them that I had a problem with them, but since it's all guesswork, you could be wrong about that too.

What a stupid backpacker he would be. I would have thought he'd appreciate the fact that plenty of people prefer to watch a major sport event in the company of like-minde fans and enjoy the banter of a pub as opposed to watching it at home. As a local, I obviously know the owner and he was frustrated by the fact that so many were good at drinking a small bottle of beer for three hours , tiny sip by tiny sip. I don't see where you got the idea that I told them that I had a problem with them, but since it's all guesswork, you could be wrong about that too.

This is just an "us vs. them" thread. I've noticed and increase in backpackers in Chiang Mai over the past month too, but I've also noticed and increased number of monosyllabic 40 to 60 yr olds with prison tattoos complaining about being tasered at the last bar that they went to.

Edited by AngelsLariat
  • Like 1

This is just an "us vs. them" thread. I've noticed and increase in backpackers in Chiang Mai over the past month too, but I've also noticed and increased number of monosyllabic 40 to 60 yr olds with prison tattoos complaining about being tasered at the last bar that they went to.

You must be going to the more interesting part of town.

• Like 1

I don't know what people are complaining about here...

backpacker-cute-woman.jpeg

LOL I've been backpacking and other backpackers sure as hell DO NOT look like that hahahah cheesy.gif

This pic is like asking why people think almost all farang men in thailand come here and "purchase" (or "hire" rather) a partner by paying for their partners lifestyle along with sometimes a monthly stipend, but showing the one single farang who has gone and met an actually educated chick who has her own job and pays her way.

Just ... LOL

I don't know what people are complaining about here... backpacker-cute-woman.jpeg

Most here would not be interested because she cannot bought with 1000 baht plus barfine.

I wonder if this young lady is aware of how her photo is being used in such a negative manner. How do you get to be that cynical? Years of practice no doubt.

• Like 1

Most here would not be interested because she cannot bought with 1000 baht plus barfine.

I wonder if this young lady is aware of how her photo is being used in such a negative manner. How do you get to be that cynical? Years of practice no doubt.

I didn't post the photo, and what I said was not intended as a negative comment against her but against men who aren't interested in women who are not for sale.

Edited by AngelsLariat

I didn't post the photo, and what I said was not intended as a negative comment against her but against men who aren't interested in women who are not for sale.

Re-read my post. You are using her photo to emphasise your negative views of MOST here. I see a picture of a beautiful young woman and have positive thoughts, whereas you saw negativity, which says more about you than those that you criticise.

Re-read my post. You are using her photo to emphasise your negative views of MOST here. I see a picture of a beautiful young woman and have positive thoughts, whereas you saw negativity, which says more about you than those that you criticise.

C'mon gramps, you're the one starting a thread lambasting the majority of less than 30 yr old travelers that come here.

Edited by AngelsLariat
  • Like 2

You really should try to improve your reading skills. I mentioned a specific group on a specific occasion...

"I wouldn't stereotype them, I was just pointing out the fact that this is the time of year when they are about and high-lighted the fact that the cheap ones amongst them seemed to have congregated in one bar tonight. They are mostly harmless, and these days the real cheap backpackers are an exception rather than the norm. What with student loans, and mummy and daddy helping out most young travellers have a fair bit to spend when it comes to going out. They may well stay in cheap guest houses but they've got money to spend on booze, and they're normally out to get pissed. "

Your cynical view was aimed at MOST HERE.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

but against men who aren't interested in women who are not for sale.

yeah i hear it's a real problem for western women when they visit chiang mai. the thai women constant harassing the western women, wanting to know how they do it, what's the secret, "how do you get these farang men not to pay?" all the meanwhile being totally in awe of the stunning beauty and vivaciousness of the articulate alluring farang women, really shameful to see and hear. really puts one off coming the sheer scale of it:(

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by ttwitt

You really should try to improve your reading skills. I mentioned a specific group on a specific occasion...

"I wouldn't stereotype them, I was just pointing out the fact that this is the time of year when they are about and high-lighted the fact that the cheap ones amongst them seemed to have congregated in one bar tonight. They are mostly harmless, and these days the real cheap backpackers are an exception rather than the norm. What with student loans, and mummy and daddy helping out most young travellers have a fair bit to spend when it comes to going out. They may well stay in cheap guest houses but they've got money to spend on booze, and they're normally out to get pissed. "

Your cynical view was aimed at MOST HERE.

You’re right. I got carried away in my comment and I apologize to her, you, and to the readership of ThaiVisa.

• Like 1

yeah i hear it's a real problem for western women when they visit chiang mai. the thai women constant harassing the western women, wanting to know how they do it, what's the secret, "how do you get these farang men not to pay?" all the meanwhile being totally in awe of the stunning beauty and vivaciousness of the articulate alluring farang women, really shameful to see and hear. really puts one off coming the sheer scale of it:(

I doubt that overt hostility towards them would be the norm, but I do think that young, educated, good looking women who have the freedom to travel the globe are going to be the object of a certain amount of envy. Probably the not so good looking ones are the object of a certain amount of envy too.

I doubt that overt hostility towards them would be the norm, but I do think that young, educated, good looking women who have the freedom to travel the globe are going to be the object of a certain amount of envy. Probably the not so good looking ones are the object of a certain amount of envy too.

yes once every six months i need to remind myself why i am here.clap2.gif

After working 20 years in the hospitality business, I do admit I do not like mant back-packers.

However, even worse are the long-time expats that bitch about everyone and everything. Oh, and my experience has been that a lot of the expats are a tight-arsed lot.

Just saying.

After working 20 years in the hospitality business, I do admit I do not like mant back-packers.

However, even worse are the long-time expats that bitch about everyone and everything. Oh, and my experience has been that a lot of the expats are a tight-arsed lot.

Just saying.

Come on be fair. If you had a proper bar or restaurant in town you were probably more expensive than the bamboo village bar at the end of the soi, or the food courts or even 7-11. Why that is , I don't know.

Just saying.

Come on be fair. If you had a proper bar or restaurant in town you were probably more expensive than the bamboo village bar at the end of the soi, or the food courts or even 7-11. Why that is , I don't know.

Actually I live in Siem Reap. I work in a 5-star hotel and had expats ask me why the beer costs USD 2.50 when it is 50 Cents on Pub Street1zgarz5.gif

Just saying.

Actually I live in Siem Reap. I work in a 5-star hotel and had expats ask me why the beer costs USD 2.50 when it is 50 Cents on Pub Street:redcard2:

The same guys would probably expect and understand that a pint in the supermarket , their local, a downtown pub, a nightclub and a 5-star hotel are not priced the same back home. Why do they lose that understanding when they live abroad, I wonder? I have a few mates who act just like the guys you mentioned and their lack of understanding amazes me. It's not even anything to do with their not being able to afford it, most of them are relatively well off, they just somehow lose their sense of perspective and seem to feel that they're being ripped off if someone is charging more than the village bar. It can be quite embarrassing at times, but mostly amusing.