Interview with Abhisit: 'My wife threatened to divorce me if I do a deal on amnesty bill'

webfact

INTERVIEW
'My wife threatened to divorce me if I do a deal on amnesty bill'

HATAIKARN TREESUWAN
THE NATION

30209926-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Almost two years after losing in Thailand's general election, former Democrat Party prime minister, Abhisit Vejjajiva, has seen a lot of changes in his life.

He now spends much of his political career attending trials and court hearings - a far cry from his former 21 years as a politician - working diligently at Parliament and the Democrat Party headquarters.

After losing to the Pheu Thai Party in 2011, Abhisit again found himself the opposition leader of Thailand's oldest party. But now he also appears in court on a regular basis - sometimes as a plaintiff, or witness - but also as a co-defendant in a trial against him and his former deputy prime minister Suthep Thaunsuban - with whom he stands accused of ordering the killings of red-shirt demonstrators in 2010.

"I'm now a regular visitor at the courts," Abhisit smiles, adding that he doesn't lose any sleep over it. He has even gained weight - blaming it on the cakes baked by his private secretary Somkiet Krongwatanasuk. He seemed to be in high spirits, joking and laughing with his staff.

"Myself and Suthep realised that once the Yingluck government came to power, there was a high chance we would stand accused of these crimes. The red shirts have claimed repeatedly that I ordered the killings, but I don't think the Department of Special Investigation dared to accuse us on their own," said Abhisit, adding that he was not concerned with the outcome, because he knew they were both innocent.

However, his parents are worried.

"It's normal that mum and dad should be worried about me, but my wife [Pimpen Vejjajiva] is not worried at all. She strongly believes in my innocence," Abhisit said.

"I told her that someone wanted me to support the amnesty bill [which would allow former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra to return home) - saying the case against me would be dropped if I did. Do you know what she said? She said if I negotiated with them, she would divorce me. She said if that means I end up in jail, so be it."

During his campaign speech in the run-up to the 2011 general election, Abhisit confessed to his supporters at a Ratchaprasong rally that his life had changed dramatically in the aftermath of the clashes between red-shirt protesters and security forces on April 10, 2010. He cried for a long time that night and could not decide what to do. It was his wife who helped him get through the ordeal, he said.

However, the deaths of those 99 people during the 2010 political violence have returned to haunt him, and the case threatens to destroy his political future. "It depends on the people. If they find me guilty, I will have to take responsibility," he said.

If that were the case, he would welcome someone else from the party to replace him as Democrat Party leader. "The Democrat Party is not owned by any one individual," he added.

The ex-PM said he did not believe there would be any intervention in his case from those in "high places". However, if the court cleared him of the charges, he said it was likely the red shirts would use the verdict for their own political gain.

Asked whether he ever thought of fleeing the country to avoid the charges, his answer was adamant, "Never."

Abhisit said he expected the ruling Pheu Thai Party to try and push through its amnesty bill and constitutional amendments, when the new parliamentary session begins in August. "The government has a hidden agenda to amend Article 309 of the Constitution. Why do they spend so much of the country's time trying to nullify the court verdict [against former premier Thaksin Shinawatra]," he said.

In 2008, Thaksin was sentenced in absentia by the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Political Holders to two years in jail for abuse of power.

In response to calls for proper justice for Thaksin by his supporters, Abhisit said he did not believe the former premier was unfairly convicted - adding that one of Thailand's biggest problems was that Thaksin "is fighting against the country".

Abhisit also has some questions for Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra - Thaksin's younger sister. "Why doesn't the Yingluck government choose to serve the country and its people? Why does it serve Thaksin? They should be serving as the elected government of the people, not the 'government of Thaksin'," he said, adding that it was his duty to try and protect the rule of law to the best of his ability.

Asked for his response to a statement by Chiang Mai University historian Prof Nidhi Eoseewong and historian Prof Charnvit Kasetsiri from Thammasat University - that the Democrat Party should find a new leader now that Abhisit was a criminal defendant, the Democrat leader said it was an acceptable point of view. "If there is no future for me with the Democrat Party, then I have no problem with it. But the country must move forward and I will do my best to try and prevent anyone from destroying it."

He said the professors should also turn their attention to the actions of those who were bent on trying to damage the country for their own benefit, instead of finding excuses for them. If the Democrat Party was so bad, he added, it would not have won the Bangkok governor's election and the Don Muang by-election.

"After taking everything into consideration, including my future, I still want to be Abhisit - not Thaksin," he said with a laugh.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-07-08

• Like 1

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote: "It's normal that mum and dad should be worried about me, but my wife [Pimpen Vejjajiva] is not worried at all. She strongly believes in my innocence," Abhisit said.

Does that mean his parents know that he is guilty or, that after all those years studying in England, his use of the language is still lacking?

Did he study Thai in England?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No, he studied English and the quote in the posting is in that language. It's amazing how a tongue in cheek posting gets so many replies on this site, funny don't you think?
  • Like 2

No, he studied English

Didnt know Eton or Cambridge offered....TEFL courses..rolleyes.gif

Believe he studied ecomomics and philospophy and did his masters

TEFL? Teaching English as a Foreign Language? I thought that he was a politician?

>with whom he stands accused of ordering the killings of red-shirt demonstrators in 2010.

>"I'm now a regular visitor at the courts," Abhisit smiles, adding that he doesn't lose any sleep over it.

I'm no fan of either side of these scoundrels (red, yellow or white), but if quoted correctly the above comment comes across as a little crass for my taste.

• Like 2

No, he studied English

Didnt know Eton or Cambridge offered....TEFL courses..rolleyes.gif

Believe he studied ecomomics and philospophy and did his masters

TEFL? Teaching English as a Foreign Language? I thought that he was a politician?

BrainCR...it was one of those tongue in cheeks remarks you referred to after all you stated that he had studied English....

when his parents where planning out his future and sending him to Eton and Oxford, somehow I dont think they wanted him to come back to Thailand to teach English in Bangkok for THB 30,000/m

"The Democrat Party is not owned by any one individual" Good to see he's getting in the cheap shots; accurate but cheap.

I find the English usage to be very good (in the opinion of a colonial), but even though it is printed in an English language newspaper, I have doubts about the supposition that a Thai politician interviewed by a Thai reporter in Thailand, to be used in a Thai newspaper, would be conducted in any language other than Thai.

This topic is not about proficiency in the English language,keep up with trollish ,so called tongue in cheek posts & let's see what happens.

Can we get back on topic please.

• Like 2

Actually you would think the red shirts would approve of his back bone to stay and fight the charges instead of running away with tail between his legs. At least some courage to stand up to the unrelenting harassment by the state.

Quote: "It's normal that mum and dad should be worried about me, but my wife [Pimpen Vejjajiva] is not worried at all. She strongly believes in my innocence," Abhisit said.

Does that mean his parents know that he is guilty or, that after all those years studying in England, his use of the language is still lacking?

Did he study Thai in England?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No, he studied English and the quote in the posting is in that language. It's amazing how a tongue in cheek posting gets so many replies on this site, funny don't you think?

In case you missed it, the interview was conducted in Thai and then translated to English by a Nation journalist who probably never has been to the UK.

• Like 2

This is not a surprise at all, he was always told by others what to do. Abhisit was only a puppet for the military. He never made any decisions by himself, but a PM who was an elite british academic provided something that the military junta lacked in their own men.

Perhaps this academic training has led to his downfall that he finds himself in now, taking the fall for the military's own crimes. Tough luck pretty boy. Is your British education going to save you?

• Like 2

Elected representatives should not let their policies be determined by family members - wife or brother!

Many of the world's political leaders are and have been influenced in thier decision making by thier wives and/or other family members.

Edit: Grammar.

Edited by TomTao

This is not a surprise at all, he was always told by others what to do. Abhisit was only a puppet for the military. He never made any decisions by himself, but a PM who was an elite british academic provided something that the military junta lacked in their own men.

Perhaps this academic training has led to his downfall that he finds himself in now, taking the fall for the military's own crimes. Tough luck pretty boy. Is your British education going to save you?

" He was always told by others what to do" hahaha.

What a gem.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

• Like 1