Options for extending my stay

I'm on a Tourist visa, single entry, US passport, stamp of 60-day stay expires end of August. I'm in BKK.

Can we summarize my options for extending my stay (economically) for another couple of months at least?

* Exit-entry thru nearby countries/airports for a 30-day visa-exempt.

* Exit-entry thru Poipet for a 15-day (?) visa-exempt.

* Renewal of my Tourist visa in BKK for only 30 days stay?

* Apply for new Tourist visa in neighboring country?

* I qualify for the non-immigrant O-A visa.

Thank you for any recommendations.

If you are over 50 and have the financials here (800k in Thai bank account or 65k income by embassy letter or combination to meet 800k) you can request conversion to non immigrant O visa entry providing a 90 day stay in process of one year extension for retirement. Cost would be 2k (plus any cost for financial proof) for the non immigrant 90 day stay and 1,900 baht for the one year extension of stay.

You also have all the listed options in your post put you can likely obtain a single entry non immigrant O visa for a 90 day entry from adjacent Consulate as well as one or two tourist visa entry.

thank you lopburi.

The money has to be wire transferred how long before I can apply for the non-immigrant O visa? you are talking about O-A, right? I'm assuming the money can stay in USD or Euro?

Also, any specific Consulates that are more "non-immigrant or tourist visa friendly" than others? If you had to choose KL, SG, HCMC, Yangon etc, which one?

thanks!

The money has to be in a Thai baht bank account but can be same day to obtain the visa portion. It is not an O-A visa which can only be obtained in your home country and requires medical and police report as well as financial proof. For that you would have to return home to get and then return with that for a one year stay on entry.

I would use Vientiane or Savannakhet, especially if wanting a 2 entry tourist visa, as no others in area are likely to issue.

"you are talking about O-A, right?"

No, he isn't.

An O-A is only available in your own country. An O Visa is extendable for different reasons, including marriage and retirement.

"An O-A is only available in your own country."

Not strictly true. It's available in (at least in some cases) whatever country you are a legal resident. I'm an American and got my O-A "retirement visa" (the Thai consulate referred to it as a "retirement visa") in Dubai where I was working at the time. When I was resident in Pakistan earlier, the Thai embassy in Islamabad even volunteered the information that I could apply for the O-A there when I was ready... which I wasn't then.

Thank you all!

The money for the O visa (or the O-A visa) has to be converted in baht? can't be kept in USD?

Also, how many days should I allow for a tourist visa in Laos?

What Suradit says is very interesting about the O-A, but of course I'm on a tourist visa here.

For the O-A visa (from Thai consulate) the money can be anywhere in the world. For the retirement extension (from your local immigration office in Thailand) the money must be in a bank account in Thailand.