Walen School in Chiang Mai - new branch @Curve open for business

MacWalen

Guess the long term guys do it cos its an easy cheap way to get a long term visa, nothing really to do with the school more the lure of the easy visa that would be my guess, and I might just do it myself next time to bag myself an easy visa cheaper than flying back to the UK.

As a marketer I can see exactly what Mc Walen is up smile.png to the subtle (or not so subtle) posting of hot young girls as teachers combined with an easy long term visa, its pretty easy to see he has a winning combination.

Now I don't want to be so shallow as to focus on only the women but do they actually have any qualifications to teach thai ??? or don't that matter, just would like to know if I am considering it.

PS

McWalen I just checked your site and I gotta say I was a bit shocked that you only have 5 testimonials for all your Schools, and it comes across very weak. Now I am not attacking you in this just giving you a bit of advice that your site needs some attention in that area as testimonials are extremely important and can increase sign ups considerably.

Those 5 testimonials do not have much credibility either since they are just text with someones name at the end of it and some (especially on TV) might imply that are not real, may I suggest using either facebook comments or ask your testimonials if you can use a picture of them maybe with their teacher along with their thoughts on McWalen. This will give your testimonials crediblity and people will know they are real.

And lastly you need to have TONS of them on that page so people are sick of reading them, having just 5 is pretty pathetic since it equates to less than 1 per school.

I am sure you could offer a small incentive if needed and get your teachers to ask for testimonials from happy students who I am sure would jump at the chance of having their picture taken with a pretty lady smile.png

hope that is taken in the way it was meant as to improve your site.

Edited by DiamondKing
  • Like 1

Well, Payap sounds great, but the fact that its not flexible makes it a no go for myself and others. Me and my mate got 30 hours at Walen, and they are really flexible. Last friday we could not come in….not a problem. Tomorrow we needed to change the time of study and once again, no problem. Payap may be good for those that know they have no other plans except for studying, but for those that are trying to study Thai while undertaking projects the flexibility that Walen offers is sure proving helpful.

Sounds like maybe your describing a personal tutor & I am describing a class yes?

Well, Payap sounds great, but the fact that its not flexible makes it a no go for myself and others. Me and my mate got 30 hours at Walen, and they are really flexible. Last friday we could not come in….not a problem. Tomorrow we needed to change the time of study and once again, no problem. Payap may be good for those that know they have no other plans except for studying, but for those that are trying to study Thai while undertaking projects the flexibility that Walen offers is sure proving helpful.

Sounds like maybe your describing a personal tutor & I am describing a class yes?

Me and my mate sit in a room full of desks with a white board and a teacher so, I would say its "class". Im not dissing Payap, just letting you know that the strict schedule is not for everyone, and that the flexibility of the lessons at Walen was a selling point for us amongst other things.

Perhaps Payap only wants serious students. Not school users. Perhaps they are fed up with the latter.

"The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about." (Oscar Wilde's maxim on marketing) wink.png

Walen got a lot of bashing on this forum that's for sure. Possibly most abused school in Thailand. Still we get a lot of support from students giving us their business so those who dislike us so much haven't achieved their goal. Another interesting thing is that we have a very high retention rate and many students stay with us for years. They cannot all be that unhappy is they continue to support us, can they?

I'm sure a lot are very happy......how many years can they study on an ed visa?

Students can learn many languages so there is no set limit of years as every few years they can learn a new language. That is why we advertise that it is unlimited.

Me and my mate sit in a room full of desks with a white board and a teacher so, I would say its "class". Im not dissing Payap, just letting you know that the strict schedule is not for everyone, and that the flexibility of the lessons at Walen was a selling point for us amongst other things.

smile.png err not what I meant

Yes any room with a desk could be called a class

But by class I meant a room with students beyond you & your mate

What I meant was you & your mate must be alone with the teacher.

Similar to having a private tutor vs a room with other students in the class together.

When you & your mate go for lessons are you the only two students in your class?

I never said Payap was for everyone I was just responding to Transam's question & a previous comment

claiming Payap & CM were 'crap"

Glad you found a good fit at Walen too.

Edited by mania

Students can learn many languages so there is no set limit of years as every few years they can learn a new language. That is why we advertise that it is unlimited.

Are you saying a non Thai can sign up to learn Spanish in Thailand and you can fix a visa for Thailand.........Think we must be clear here.?

I'm sure Payap is a good school. So is Walen, a lot of schools in CM that might be liked by some and disliked by others. What we do at Walen works very well. I cannot comment about other schools but promoting learning Thai is a good thing and it creates a much bigger market.

Are you saying a non Thai can sign up to learn Spanish in Thailand and you can fix a visa for Thailand.........Think we must be clear here.?

Yes transam, ED visa works for many languages with Walen. You can study for a long long time.

Walen would need to have a curriculum for Spanish language study approved by the MoE and attached to their school license in order to this. If they have this, they can do.

Yes transam, ED visa works for many languages with Walen. You can study for a long long time.

Walen would need to have a curriculum for Spanish language study approved by the MoE and attached to their school license in order to this. If they have this, they can do.

And if that doesn't work how about a ballroom dancing visa? biggrin.png

Just want to say Mac, that I'm all for anyone staying here in any way that suits them. thumbsup.gif

It's too bad some of the older guys can't take their 800k out of the bank and learn something new. However, I understand CM Immigration has an age limit on Ed visas.........but this isn't the rule in Pattaya.

Can you clarify please?

Edited by uptheos

OK! Good idea. What has an age limit have to do with anything!

Why not advertise Thai traditional dance --- to satisfy the visa "inspectors" --- and throw in salsa and tango with the young women you have already displayed on TV Chiang Mai recently (and before, if anyone wishes to do a search on your past posts) plus a few other lovelies to draw customers into a dance studio !!!!! And I am sure you could get a few young Thai fellows for the women! As I recall, you have pointed out before that expatriate women are probably more interested in dance studio than expatriate men. There are places to ask around for employees. Start looking in Santitam.

Why not? Go for it! An entrepreneurial challenge! And good luck!

Edited by Mapguy

• 1 month later...

I am currently taking Thai class in Chiang Rai with my Chinese girl friend. I am only taking the class because I have to drive her to school and don't want to wait for two hours. The class and teachers are great but the distance is bit far from downtown where I live. I am not sure the logic of locating the school outside of the city limit. There are lot of foreigners who would like to enroll but transportation is a problem. Specially young people who come for few month to study Thai and learn the culture.

Walen School in Chiang Mai is doing well. Walen managers are doing a great job. If you study at Walen you will recognise Cindy and Goi in the picture, both are excellent managers and Thai teachers. I just took a few Walen managers with me for a few days to Korea. It was a lot of fun. Walen is a great business, we enjoy what we do and don't work just for the money. Join us, you will not be disappointed.

Wow! My teachers were never that pretty :)

It certainly isn't worth advertising if you aren't willing to answer any questions. I'm the third person on this thread to ask what qualifications the teachers have and so far just a deafening silence. It's not a difficult or unusual question for a language school to answer, surely? Especially when they charge ฿750 an hour for 1-2-1 lessons.

Edited by inthepink

Sorry, I'd just like to make it clear that I'm not trolling on this thread. My post above was in answer to another post that has subsequently been deleted. It now looks a little belligerent because it is out of context but unfortunately I am unable to edit it.

I was being serious when I asked the question about male teachers (if the OP is still reading) but I think I am just going to come in and ask my questions in person. The lady I spoke to on the telephone was very pleasant and helpful.

Cheers

MacWalen,

I want to take a course towards the middle of the year. Of course for the visa, but also because I now feel I must be able to speak and read Thai.

Can you confirm you teach people to read Thai?

For some reason I thought it was just speaking.

I don't really care about writing, but I suppose I'll learn if it's part of course.