Thailand's Full Moon Parties have become a trashy disgrace

Please do not exaggerate the numbers even more than has been of 30,000.

Numbers to this event are written by someone who can not count and gets a bit excited at seeing a lot of people. Numbers have declined over the years and do vary from month to month.

Guide books also put this figure of 30,000, one I read a while ago 40,000 laugh.png. But I think we all know about guide books, written by idiots that spend 1 day at a place!

Koh Phangan don't get 30-40 thousand tourist all month never mind one night! More accurate numbers would be 5,000 to 10,000 again depending on which month. ( And no I also did not count them) but have showed my face 24 times over the years.

Without even going to the full moon party I would have to agree that the numbers cannot be 30,000 to 40,000. Here is some basic maths.

Raja list the passenger capacity of Raja2 and the similar ferries that they run to Thongsala as 350 pax.

times 5 sailing out a day = 1750

Assume the same capacity for the other major ferries (Lomprayah 7 trips, Seatran and Songserm 4 each) = 5250

that gives a total of 7000 people a day which the ferries can move on and off the island (plus the haad rin queen)

so even if the ferries were only carrying people who ant to go to the full moon party they would be fully booked for 4 days after the party to get everyone off the island, assuming 30,000 people at the party, other than December 31st the passenger only ferries are never fully booked for more than a day.

You're forgetting the dozens of speedboats that dart to/from KPG from Samui all night, each laden with at least 30 pax. I drove past the departure point (Petcherat) before midnight recently & saw around 50 minibuses hogging both sides of the road delivering "Moonies" from all over Samui who were meandering across the road in total darkness...

Don't start to try and make the numbers up mjj. How many have you been to ? where do you live ?

Muppets like you and Toscano ( shocking disgrace) and BSD quoting "I was told".... believe everything you hear BSD have never been because you prefer to sit in a bar where you can throw money at a girl who tells you " Your handsome man" Truth being if you ever went to the party you would never get a girl and moan, about 99% of the people are having a great time.

Yes it gets messy at times....... But just read what's going on every night!! in places I mentioned before.

Just for once stop and listen to someone who knows what he is talking about. Or even still go to next month's start counting them and give me a bell.

KP,

How many have I been too and where do I live? Sounds like you are offering to fight!!! :-)

I've been to the FMP about 10 times. Mind you that was over 9 years ago.

I currently live on Samui. But then again both could be lies as this is a forum!?!

Now, the numbers, 100,000. The actual number is irrelevant (yes, I just plucked it out of thin air), because what this about - and it seems to be a recurring theme - is that too many people seem to want to stop progression. Yes, nice places will get busier and busier. But that doesn't mean people should just look at the negatives, positives come of it too.

Take the FMP, now if xxxxx number of people can go and have fun (without the rape and pillage) why can't people just let them get on with it??

I first came to Samui in October 2003. I loved it. To me it was a tropical paradise, but to someone who came here 10 years earlier than me, they may have thought it was ruined because Tesco was here.

Fast forward to today and yes, Samui has changed a lot, but I still love the place. It's just different than it was.

I think I'm right in stating that Thailand had over 1,000 islands. For those that want to find the Leo 'Beach' setting, I'm sure it's here somewhere.

Also if any of us were working for the Thai Govt and we knew tourists would pour money into the country - wouldn't it be a good idea to build up the biggest islands instead of 100's (making figures up again) of little ones?

Sounds to me your a bit paranoid.... I cant see anywhere in my words where i'm trying to pick a fight !

Believe me If I wanted to pick a fight my message and words would be deleted in 2 secs. And I would get a ban for being a naughty boy ( said in a sarcastic tone) .

I wasn't even going to post the last message because I started to think why am I bothering when people simply will not listen.

You are closer than I thought as in location, I was wrong to maybe thinking your one of these sad Bar stewards that write and moan about KP when their sitting in a girl bar paying for sex which is illegal and think Haad rin is Koh Phangan.

Haad Rin is not where I live and of my 24 parties attended 18 odd were built up quite quickly, but now I may wonder down 1-2 times a year depending of the company of friends I may be with.

But even with your 10 attending parties ( You must be mad) giggle.gif I stick to my guns ( Nope that's not suggesting a fight) your numbers are off.

But you know MJJ.... I really don't give a toss what anyone says or thinks.... i'm done on this topic....I'm done reading s*** from 90% on here that are drinking them selves to death and throwing money at someone who tells them they are handsome man and I love you long time, and 89% of those on here fall for it. Over and out ! enjoy Samui follow your dream and never worry what anybody else says or thinks.

Edited by angiud
Fixed quotes
  • Like 1

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From the original text in Time:

»A new airport is due to finally open in the fall, meaning the island will be only an hour away from Bangkok...«
Have I missed something in the local news?wacko.png

• Like 1

Proud to say that after all my years going to LOS, I have never and will never step foot in that dump. Yes, I am judging it without firsthand experience. I don't need to go to Somalia to know that I never want to visit it either.

Haven't the full moon parties , in reality , always been a shocking disgrace ?

No they haven't! like most beaches they were Floyd, Marley and weed, then along came that techno crap and the peace was shattered!

Proud to say that after all my years going to LOS, I have never and will never step foot in that dump. Yes, I am judging it without firsthand experience. I don't need to go to Somalia to know that I never want to visit it either.

Sorry but I cannot resist

cheesy.gif

ive been to the full moon parties and totally disagree

Pattaya is more trashy on a daily basis

the beaches are cleaned up within days [if not the next day]

there are now toilets available [never used to be ]

there are security zones for the drunks/inebriated ones

things have improved immensely

• Like 1

Please do not exaggerate the numbers even more than has been of 30,000.

Numbers to this event are written by someone who can not count and gets a bit excited at seeing a lot of people. Numbers have declined over the years and do vary from month to month.

Guide books also put this figure of 30,000, one I read a while ago 40,000 laugh.png. But I think we all know about guide books, written by idiots that spend 1 day at a place!

Koh Phangan don't get 30-40 thousand tourist all month never mind one night! More accurate numbers would be 5,000 to 10,000 again depending on which month. ( And no I also did not count them) but have showed my face 24 times over the years.

Without even going to the full moon party I would have to agree that the numbers cannot be 30,000 to 40,000. Here is some basic maths.

Raja list the passenger capacity of Raja2 and the similar ferries that they run to Thongsala as 350 pax.

times 5 sailing out a day = 1750

Assume the same capacity for the other major ferries (Lomprayah 7 trips, Seatran and Songserm 4 each) = 5250

that gives a total of 7000 people a day which the ferries can move on and off the island (plus the haad rin queen)

so even if the ferries were only carrying people who ant to go to the full moon party they would be fully booked for 4 days after the party to get everyone off the island, assuming 30,000 people at the party, other than December 31st the passenger only ferries are never fully booked for more than a day.

First it was 10,000+, then 20,000+, and at latest another 10-20,000 appeared on top. facepalm.gif

However, a lot – if not most – Full Moon Party guests comes over from Koh Samui by 30+ pax speed boats. Each one doing a round trip in less than an hour. There are quite a lot of operators and all has quite a lot of boats – just try to count Lomprayah's at Maenam. Furthermore there are the ferry-routes from Bang Rak. The limits is rather the number of hotel beds on the two islands, officially 10-15,000 at Phangang and 20-25,000 at Samui – including all the beds used by TAT “quality tourists” and others not visiting the Full Moon parties. thumbsup.gif

Soon the Lomprayah speed boat daily tour division (not the KP KT - Chumpon Ferry Service) is moving from Maenam to Ban Rak, just so everyone knows! .... (Name is almost the same Lom--- I forget the spelling at the moment !) all these day boat companies do the full moon party trip.... often busier in low season than high season.... Grand Sea Adventure tours is another ... that also leaves from Ban Rak now.

Sadly, the old idyllic Asian destination that was Thailand died a few years back.

If you want sex, drugs, noise, congestion, rip offs, overcharging, and pollution, there are plenty of resorts to choose from.

If you are after hospitality, seclusion, beauty, and quiet, as was available before, please tell us all where to go coz u can't find it here.

Welcome to the Costa del Sol and Ibiza of the East.

Rubbish!...... Easy to find.....hospitality, seclusion, beauty, and quiet, crazy.gif..... just open your eyes crazy.gifblink.png

Where, on a beach that ain't covered in trash?

Lots of good beaches around, on Samui and KP and KT.... get out and look around wink.pngfacepalm.gif

Since when has it been anything else other than trashy? Hippies smoking dope in the late eighties is hardly something to reminisce about.

Maybe trashy but the lure of easy Baht gained by ANY means and I mean ANY, will almost guarantee it's survival for many years to come.

Everyone over the age of 35 or 40 knows it's a trashy, drug-fuelled party visited by kids that know no better, is this really news???

• Like 2

Haven't the full moon parties , in reality , always been a shocking disgrace ?

I was there in 1992. It wasn't a disgrace.There were drugs openly sold and alcohol. It was a peaceful event, well what I can remember of it.

Was Woodstock a shocking disgrace?

I'd never dream of going now but is that because of the change of the event? I doubt I'd get a bungalow right on Haad Rin beach for 60 baht.

oO is it because I don't drink or use drugs anymore or because I'm middle-aged in my late 40s?

• Like 1

I'd never dream of going now but is that because of the change of the event? I doubt I'd get a bungalow right on Haad Rin beach for 60 baht.

oO is it because I don't drink or use drugs anymore or because I'm middle-aged in my late 40s?

Know what you mean my man biggrin.png

Since when has it been anything else other than trashy? Hippies smoking dope in the late eighties is hardly something to reminisce about.

Maybe trashy but the lure of easy Baht gained by ANY means and I mean ANY, will almost guarantee it's survival for many years to come.

Everyone over the age of 35 or 40 knows it's a trashy, drug-fuelled party visited by kids that know no better, is this really news???

Touch of envy? wink.png

I'd have loved it when I was 25. I'd hate it now but they seem to be enjoying themselves. It's a shame they can't do it somewhere with a more robust ecosystem though.

• Like 1

Touch of envy? wink.png

I'd have loved it when I was 25. I'd hate it now but they seem to be enjoying themselves. It's a shame they can't do it somewhere with a more robust ecosystem though.

You are probably right!biggrin.png

And top secret, I've actually been too.

Stand by what I said earlier though, this really aint news.coffee1.gif

Touch of envy? wink.png

You are probably right!biggrin.png

Stand by what I said earlier though, this really aint news.coffee1.gif

No, you're right, it's not. It seems to be the sort of thing that the press in Thailand drag out whenever there's a slow news day.

Yes when I first went to Koh Phangan in 1987 it was wonderful. Great atmosphere and a refreshing contrast to "touristy" Koh Samui ! Fast fwd to the present day and I refuse to go as I don't want the memories of many visits in the late 80's trashed.

What has become of Koh Chang is an even bigger travesty.. When will the Govt learn that people come looking for unspoilt tropical paradise.. Not 7/11's , Indian tailors and f**kin house music/rap/hip hop !

But how do you cater for 100,000 tourist wanting to go to an unspoilt paradise??

You just dont get it: MOST PEOPLE DO NOT WANT A DESERTED "UNSPOILT PARADISE" otherwise they would not go where they go!! Most people are happy with the developed tourist places they venture to.

Personally: I like lots of people on holidays, I like crowds, I like developed places, I HATE deserted isolated places, if I want to be alone or just with my family i can stay at home and no one bothers me.

YOU can like you deserted places all you want but get a life and stop assuming the rest of humanity wants what you want.

YOU are NOT superior, smarter, better than or holier-than-thou just because you go to "non touristy" places. You can want whatever you want but you obviously do not know what others want.

Wow, I guess you are fun to be around. Thanks for shouting and making assumptions.

I made no reference to whether I like touristy places or desolate places, but carry on.

Taking the meds. :-)

Sorry I was commenting on the original comment not your follow up, I now realise I had was quoting you both instead of the first person.

It was this line I was having a go at: When will the Govt learn that people come looking for unspoilt tropical paradise.. Not 7/11's , Indian tailors and f**kin house music/rap/hip hop !

Touch of envy? Posted Image

You are probably right!Posted Image

Stand by what I said earlier though, this really aint news.Posted Image

No, you're right, it's not. It seems to be the sort of thing that the press in Thailand drag out whenever there's a slow news day.

Before the beaches were deserted until hippie forangs found them had a party on them left all their rubbish everywhere from the party then moved to the next deserted spot

Now if you are rich and can afford a speed boat you can be 5 - 15 minutes from a deserted island or beach

I am happy with the change Samui is the centre of business for all the other islands

The other islands need us when they have accident or need evacuating they need a close by island with all the resources or it is very hard to Savive

You can ask for tropical beaches with no capitalisme but if there was not dand for this stuff then they would not be selling

Also other island that surround Samui depend on us

People need basic resources to Savive such as electric and water

The more popular it becomes the more we need of everything and we the forangs are who put Samui on the map

So if we did not come here in big numbers then this would be a deserted Island

• Like 1

Kho tao became a toilet 10 years ago when the walk along the beach was replaced by a paved road.

At the same time, the wooden huts under the palm trees were bulldozed, as were the trees.

Repleced by concrete bungalows with no shade. Sat TV, Air on; no problem.

Welkomm 2 paradise. Turn on yer air con.

Thailand, re. beaches is dying.

I blame Leonardo Di Caprio.

That movie was shocking but look at what it caused, a tide of idiots pouring in.

there was idiots ruining beaches way before caprio got invovled. Does not matter where in the world, a little bit of development starts the whole thing, look at resorts in Indonesia, Egypt, Brazil etc, you get a nice laid back hippy place return in 5 years and its all hotels and haggling