Move to turn Phuket into Medical Hub

webfact

Move to turn Phuket into Medical Hub
Teerin Julsawad
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Public Health Ministry is planning to launch a "One Province One Hospital" programme that aims to boost the quality of local hospitals and seeks to transform the island into a popular medical tourism destination, permanent secretary Narong Sahametha said.

On Friday, Narong led the signing of a memorandum of understanding between three public hospitals: Vachira Phuket Hospital, Patong Hospital and Thalang Hospital. These three institutions will collaborate and share resources with the purpose of improving overall quality under the motto of becoming "one hospital".

He said the plan includes a rotation cycle between the three hospitals, under which nurses and doctors will assist or get involved in skill-training exercises at the other two hospitals every week. This will help strengthen the weaknesses in each hospital. They will also work under a resource-sharing policy, where equipment and medical facilities will be lent or borrowed when necessary.

Patients will be referred to one of the three hospitals depending on needs. At present, only Vachira Phuket Hospital has a Hyperbaric chamber, used to treat patients suffering from decompression sickness. But Vachira lacks an emergency unit unlike Patong or Thalang hospitals.

Though Phuket has established itself as a popular holiday destination, the launch of the ASEAN Economic Community in 2015 will bring even more visitors. So, radical changes are being planned for the resort town, and the "One Province One Hospital" program is just a part of these.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-07-10

Turn Phuket into a medical hub...heard it years ago and a great idea..we need more hubs..

But how can you take them seriously..as well as the huge shortage of nurses their ill thought out plan involves.." equipment and medical facilities will be lent or borrowed when necessary". cheesy.gif

Medical tourism brings good money, we have some every 3 months or so at work. More to the point when will the imbeciles realise you CANNOT be all things to all people. Phuket should worry about the everyday boring tourists, that flood this island with money!

• Like 1

Didn't they announce this a few years back?

Maybe but we haven't had talk of a HUB for month or so. Some of us were going through withdrawals so it is nice to get another hitsmile.png

I've been shaking for weeks without my fix of hub-talk!

• Like 1

Didn't they announce this a few years back?

Maybe but we haven't had talk of a HUB for month or so. Some of us were going through withdrawals so it is nice to get another hitsmile.png

I've been shaking for weeks without my fix of hub-talk!

I worry I'm becoming a hub-slut!cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Won't work as the tuk tuks will block entrance to the hospital for ambulances, claiming they are stealing their jobs.

Immigration will first have to check the ambulance drivers, we don't want any 'aliens' without work permits thieving work from the lovely locals!

A medical destination, really? cheesy.gif

God help you if you might require rhesus negative blood, the expected drain on local farangs will be huge, they could not afford to let any expat leave the island expired visa or not - just keep them on tap and drain them dry, it's the Thai way. smile.png

Good idea to cross train and develop but in all honestly Thailand's hospitals need to get the basics right before even considering themselves a medical hub on the international circuit. whistling.gif

Focus on ER services and treating the 80% of local cases with excellence before aspiring to cover the 20% vanity projects, even suggesting borrowing equipment between hospital sounds like a senior manager with minimal modern medical understanding attempting to build an name or empire.

Another HUB ??????????????????????????????? This country will become the country of hubs .... next ....

Yes the HUB of HUBS.

or even The HUB of HUBS for all the HUBS.

How many HUBS can a country take on. they already are recognized Internationally as;

The HUB of Corruption,

The HUB of Thieves,

The HUB of Corrupt Monks,

The HUB of Rip-offs,

The HUB of Ugly Electric Cables in the Street,

The HUB of Flooding,

Do any TV readers have any more HUB ideas for Thailand or perhaps I should say "Hubland"

Turn Phuket into a medical hub...heard it years ago and a great idea..we need more hubs..

But how can you take them seriously..as well as the huge shortage of nurses their ill thought out plan involves.." equipment and medical facilities will be lent or borrowed when necessary". cheesy.gif

Can't run a decent HUB if you can't borrow your neighbour's defibrillator.

Wouldn't it make more sense to take the patient to the machine rather than the other way around? Silly me, TIT.

Edited by Bagwan
  • Like 2

Won't work as the tuk tuks will block entrance to the hospital for ambulances, claiming they are stealing their jobs.

Yes and Phuket is the known HUB for bad TukTuks you would have HUB against HUB and possibly more HUBs joining in the fight... oh what a HULLABALOO HUBBA HUBBA would ENSUE. crazy.gif

Can't run a decent HUB if you can't borrow your neighbour's defibrillator.

Wouldn't it make more sense to take the patient to the machne rather than the other way around? Silly me, TIT.

Not really, a defib. machine is the size of a small suitcase and the technology is no longer hugely expensive. What should happen of course is that each police car patrolling the streets and every ambulance should carry one as a matter of course, wait, what's wrong with this picture!

• Like 1

Another HUB ??????????????????????????????? This country will become the country of hubs .... next ....

Yes the HUB of HUBS.

or even The HUB of HUBS for all the HUBS.

How many HUBS can a country take on. they already are recognized Internationally as;

The HUB of Corruption,

The HUB of Thieves,

The HUB of Corrupt Monks,

The HUB of Rip-offs,

The HUB of Ugly Electric Cables in the Street,

The HUB of Flooding,

Do any TV readers have any more HUB ideas for Thailand or perhaps I should say "Hubland"

How about the hub of moronic posters!

Yes I will add it to the list, thank you for your valued suggestion.

• Like 2