Snowden agrees to asylum in Venezuela: Russian lawmaker

webfact

Snowden is holding a dead man trigger on information to be released should he reach an untimely demise.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2013/07/13/usa-security-snowden-greenwald-idINDEE96C05520130713

"Snowden has enough information to cause harm to the U.S. government in a single minute than any other person has ever had," Greenwald said in an interview in Rio de Janeiro with the Argentinian daily La Nacion.

"The U.S. government should be on its knees every day begging that nothing happen to Snowden, because if something does happen to him, all the information will be revealed and it could be its worst nightmare."

Makes one wonder what else the US government has been up to. Things that make you go hmm.

Probably about the same stuff your government is up to, as well as most others in the world. It's just the US gets most of the attention.

I think China and Russia are way worse. And since there's no freedom of press there, nobody will ever know. Except a select few.

I am an American. That doesn't mean that I condone or approve of the actions of the US intelligencia. Or any other government's invasion into the privacy of their citizens for the sake of national security.

Had the US not stuck it's big nose into the domestic affairs of every government on the planet over the last 60 years, we wouldn't have ANY of these issues.

Wiser words have never been spoken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg-jvHynP9Y

Again. You seriously think the US is the ONLY nation doing this???

• Like 2

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Of course not. Do you think it's ok that the government's of the world are prying into every aspect of your life? That's the point, not the fact that Snowden blew the whistle.

I have no doubt that Snowden holds information that would destabilize the US with revelations about their dirty deeds. Personally, I wish it were released today.

• Like 2

Of course not. Do you think it's ok that the government's of the world are prying into every aspect of your life? That's the point, not the fact that Snowden blew the whistle.

I have no doubt that Snowden holds information that would destabilize the US with revelations about their dirty deeds. Personally, I wish it were released today.

I'm 50/50 on that. If it saved the life of a relative, I'd be all for it. Just not that big of a deal to me. I have nothing to hide. Please, everybody has their own opinion. wai2.gif

But people get all worked up over what the US doing. They have no idea of the other governments, because freedom of the press is non-existent in those countries. An even bigger problem. Right?

As for Snowden, he didn't have a high enough clearance to get the really good stuff.

Edited by lovetotravel

An interesting point,

in an article titled

"Edward Snowden: Is it illegal for US to block his asylum claim?"

However, many experts noted the irony in Snowden renewing his request for asylum from Russia, which he praised (along with Venezuela, Bolivia, Nicaragua, and Ecuador) for “being the first to stand against human rights violations carried out by the powerful.”

Russia is not generally known as a liberal haven. Human Rights Watch in April documented a Russian crackdown on domestic civil society that the rights group says has led to Russia’s worst human rights climate in the post-Soviet era.

“Snowden is obviously a very bright young man who no doubt acted in earnest, and he is in quite an international legal pickle given the US espionage charges against him,” he concludes. “But he also shows signs of a disturbingly solipsistic world view that automatically turns his allies into doers of right and his legal pursuers into oppressors, and in which he casts himself heroically as merely someone who has ‘been made stateless and hounded for my act of political expression.' ”

News Article Link

"However, many experts noted the irony in Snowden renewing his request for asylum from Russia, which he praised (along with Venezuela, Bolivia, Nicaragua, and Ecuador) for “being the first to stand against human rights violations carried out by the powerful.”"sick.gif

Thats really makes me sick.

Just a personal reaction.

it does make me think further about one remark I read the other day that said it's not terrorists that US citizens should be worried about, it's the operations of its own governmentph34r.png

• Like 1

Your last two sentences candidly sums up your underlying motivations. Personal issue. Those that feel left behind or like they didn't personally get the American dream or their fair share of the American pie seem to have the deep desire to see America fail. Truth is, America won't fail and will continue to get stronger. Nothing is going to destabilize. Snowden is already old news here. The threat mess with me I will take America down is understandable and evidence of his desperate situation, but in three months he was be a faded memory to US and he will have only ruined his own life. That's the reality.

• Like 2

it does make me think further about one remark I read the other day that said it's not terrorists that US citizens should be worried about, it's the operations of its own governmentph34r.png

Would that be the RT news you are reading???? About as good as Fox.

I'm absolutely more worried about terrorists. Having lived in NYC during 9/11, and worked in the WTC, please respect my opinion.

wai2.gif

• Like 2

One consequence of Snowden's actions: Tighter internet controls in Russia:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/15/business/global/nsa-leaks-stir-plans-in-russia-to-control-net.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_ae_20130714

MOSCOW — Edward J. Snowden, the former National Security Agency contractor, fled the United States saying he did not want to live in a surveillance state.

But now the Russians are using his very presence here — on Friday Mr. Snowden said he intended to remain in Russia for some time while seeking asylum elsewhere — to push for tighter controls over the Internet.

Two members of Russia’s Parliament have cited Mr. Snowden’s leaks about N.S.A. spying as arguments to compel global Internet companies like Google and Microsoft to comply more closely with Russian rules on personal data storage.

• Like 1

An interesting article:

On the tiny Mediterranean island of Malta, two Italian hackers have been searching for bugs — not the island’s many beetle varieties, but secret flaws in computer code that governments pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to learn about and exploit.

Israel, Britain, Russia, India and Brazil are some of the biggest spenders. North Korea is in the market, as are some Middle Eastern intelligence services. Countries in the Asian Pacific, including Malaysia and Singapore, are buying, too, according to the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/14/world/europe/nations-buying-as-hackers-sell-computer-flaws.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_ae_20130714&_r=0

• Like 1

This topic is about the asylum claim. General information about NSA etc. should be posted here:

It would be better if you posted the general information about the NSA in this topic:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/645661-nsa-contractor-identifies-himself-as-source/page-43#entry6611753

Edited by Scott

"The U.S. government should be on its knees every day begging that nothing happen to Snowden, because if something does happen to him, all the information will be revealed and it could be its worst nightmare."

Sounds like a threat in the clear

A true patriot!blink.png

Actually it sounds like the snowden camp is getting a little desperate whistling.gif

Any information he has, has to be considered compromised.

And any blackmail, will not stop the information from getting out.

so good luck with the threats.

But as a American, I'm resigned to days, weeks and longer of more embarrassing disclosures.

Just an FYI

Americans arent very good at doing the "on its knees" thing. Just not in our nature.

Not sure CCP-PRC are very humble and polite. Could be wrong.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/15/business/global/nsa-leaks-stir-plans-in-russia-to-control-net.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_ae_20130714

MOSCOW Edward J. Snowden, the former National Security Agency contractor, fled the United States saying he did not want to live in a surveillance state.

But now the Russians are using his very presence here on Friday Mr. Snowden said he intended to remain in Russia for some time while seeking asylum elsewhere to push for tighter controls over the Internet.

Two members of Russias Parliament have cited Mr. Snowdens leaks about N.S.A. spying as arguments to compel global Internet companies like Google and Microsoft to comply more closely with Russian rules on personal data storage.

I wonder what the Russian rules on personal data storage are?!

Anybody know...or want to make a wild guess?

• Like 1

MOSCOW Edward J. Snowden, the former National Security Agency contractor, fled the United States saying he did not want to live in a surveillance state.

But now the Russians are using his very presence here on Friday Mr. Snowden said he intended to remain in Russia for some time while seeking asylum elsewhere to push for tighter controls over the Internet.

Two members of Russias Parliament have cited Mr. Snowdens leaks about N.S.A. spying as arguments to compel global Internet companies like Google and Microsoft to comply more closely with Russian rules on personal data storage.

Summary in English at: http://uk.practicallaw.com/2-502-2227

• Like 1

Since this whole issue centres on invasion of privacy maybe a practical solution going forward is:

Whenever you go on the www you get an opening screen that says something like 'the security of information delivered or received cannot be completely guaranteed. Enter. Decline.'

Seems to me the issue is all about our cyber lives.

Plenty of Americans seem to be saying I've got nothing to hide so what's the problem.

Summary in English at: http://uk.practicallaw.com/2-502-2227

thanks for this. Can we be sure that data protection laws are being complied with in Russia?

Snowden appears to be saying dp laws are seriously flouted in US.

Or have I got completely the wrong end of the stick?

if they ain't reading it whatever you make of it jam is fairly insignificant with respect.

It's Russian law, but as you say are the law enforcement & security agencies complying to the processes as defined in law. This whole thread is based upon massaging and secret work arounds of law by goverment agencies

if they ain't reading it whatever you make of it jam is fairly insignificant with respect.

I think i was agreeing with what you implied, and with what S1 implied

Which is that the Russian security forces may take a liberal interpretation of that law when necessary.

Thats what i meant by "blink.png "

smile.png

( sometimes I can be a man of few words, but dont count on it)whistling.gif

• Like 1

On a similar thought,

I have said this before in this thread

but I'd be SHOCKED if the chinese or the russians DIDNT make a clone of the Snowden drives.

In their shoes, i would have.

the encryption is a separate matter, if you can crack it, great, if not you lost nothing.

just waiting for my brother in San Fran to send me an email on this Snowden thing.

He's head of worldwide risk management for Oracle.

I sure hope you don't get a message that he's now landed in Hong Kong and is having a press conference!

• Like 2

funny thing though what he said in his email. 'Many ordinary Americans are getting increasingly concerned about Obama's invasion into their lives'.

Wasn't expecting to hear that.

Maybe some of this dissatisfaction is about a troubled USA which goes beyond the Snowden thing?

(PS. My brother is as straight as a dye. that's why he does what he does. Class act.)

funny thing though what he said in his email. 'Many ordinary Americans are getting increasingly concerned about Obama's invasion into their lives'.

Maybe some of this dissatisfaction is about a troubled USA which goes beyond the Snowden thing?

(PS. My brother is as straight as a dye. that's why he does what he does. Class act.)

Dont worry, one terrorist incident will swing those people around.

On an asylum matter, I just read this article

Kremlin says decision on asylum for Snowden not up to Putin

Link to article

blink.png

If you believe that, Let me sell you a bridge, CHEAPwhistling.gif

Dont worry, one terrorist incident will swing those people around.

On an asylum matter, I just read this article

Kremlin says decision on asylum for Snowden not up to Putin

Link to article

blink.png

If you believe that, Let me sell you a bridge, CHEAPwhistling.gif

"If we are talking about temporary asylum, then this is an issue not for the president but for the Federal Migration Service," Putin's spokesman,

I very much doubt that a high profile case such as this would not need the approval of the President. I certainly doubt the Migration Service is going to make a decision without a nod from above.