Work Permit before degree completion

my wife is in her last year of an education degree through the Open University in the UK, She has worked in education for the last 8 years both in the UK and Thailand. She currently works at an international school and is on a year non Imm B until she gets her degree early next year. Someone last week told me if you are working towards your degree here in Thailand, and in education, that you qualify to apply for a work permit. can any one tell me if this is the case?

It would be a relief if she could as we know its not an ideal situation on a Non Imm B.

thx in advance

A degree is not always required to get a work permit. In her case it would depend upon what she is teaching.

There are many people teaching English without a degree.

I think many is an understatement. At least my wife has nearly finished. her degree is in early childhood and she will have finished next march. the school are ok with her, becuase she is a bloody great nusery teacher. we both know the law, this is why I was asking. Once she has her degree it wont be an issue. At least she is working towards it, unlike many other people.

Edited by Tubby

She might get a temporary waiver for the teaching licence, which is needed for both work permit and extension of stay.

Normally that requires a degree, but I am not sure that also applies for nursery teachers. They might fall under a different department.

I would have her contact the teachers council and see what they say.

She might get a temporary waiver for the teaching licence, which is needed for both work permit and extension of stay.

Normally that requires a degree, but I am not sure that also applies for nursery teachers. They might fall under a different department.

I would have her contact the teachers council and see what they say.

Many thanks for your answers, I will have her do this and find out some more.

In some cases it is not the degree that is important it is getting the teachers license that can be the hangup.

Edit: A bit of a repeat. Both of you got in before me.

Edited by ubonjoe

I agree. She can be teaching with no degree if the school where she is teaching does not require one but I think you know they would still need to have her get a WP. If she is already teaching here legally then you have no worries. When she is finished and has her degree then she can apply for the teachers license.

I do have to say though and maybe not for your situation but for anyone else reading this post that if a person IS working without a WP and proper non-B visa and gets caught then the chances of them ever getting a teachers license is slim to none as this goes on record.

Teachers licenses can take up to 1 year and more to get after the application has been submitted and she/he has passed their tests and from what my friends tell me that have theirs, the test is not only stupid and has mostly nothing to do with teaching and is NOT easy to pass unless this has changed.

I mean on HIS test they asked questions regarding DOS and Windows etc. Not really relating to teaching is it.