PM Yingluck wants Thais living overseas to promote Thainess to the world

webfact

Oh, Thainess. Every time I had a discussion with a Thai of all levels, I heard: You cannot understand. You are farang.

Now I understand. It's simple.

A professor of sociology (CMU), a good friend, gave me the same answer. I retorted: You are professor for this, you know, profess the topic.

No answer, but a big smile up to the ears. I understood.

No Thai understand really what is Thainess. Then it's clear logic that a farang cannot understand Thainess, and he doesn't

lose face.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, Thainess. Every time I had a discussion with a Thai of all levels, I heard: You cannot understand. You are farang.

Now I understand. It's simple.

A professor of sociology (CMU), a good friend, gave me the same answer. I retorted: You are professor for this, you know, profess the topic.

No answer, but a big smile up to the ears. I understood.

No Thai understand really what is Thainess. Then it's clear logic that a farang cannot understand Thainess, and he doesn't

lose face.

I think the PM is correct in asking foreign students to be "Thai" just as The USA should ask it's foreign students to be "American". The main benefit of foreign exchange students is to learn each other's culture. How can this happen if you are not going to "be yourself" as long as it's not disrespectful of the host country's culture.

• Like 1

I think the PM is correct in asking foreign students to be "Thai" just as The USA should ask it's foreign students to be "American". The main benefit of foreign exchange students is to learn each other's culture. How can this happen if you are not going to "be yourself" as long as it's not disrespectful of the host country's culture.

That's kind of absurd. Thais are Thai. Americans are Americans. No need to ask.

Quote.....

She also expressed her concerns over the well-being of Thais living overseas, adding that she has instructed the Interior and Foreign Ministries to look after them and assist them when necessary....

Would this involve bribes being handed out to schools, teachers, government officers, police officers and many others to smoothe the students way through life?

I think more practical advice would be more useful. Such as what to say when people ask why there are so many prostitutes in Thailand. And how is it that the Thai PM is the sister of a "self exiled" fugitive who is actually running the country. That sort of thing.

In my work I meet a lot of people who travel, family types included, not just sex tourists and sexpats. They usually think of Thailand by what they see. This includes sexpats and sex tourists. Very, very few of them would even go near any comment about Thai politics or politicians.

I have very clever Thai friends who know a lot about it and even then, really cannot understand.

If we have a predominantly negative attitude, we will see negatives everywhere. If we have a predominantly positive attitude we will see positives everywhere.

If we are looking for problems to solve or people we can assist we will find them.

I have quite good friends who support orphanages here and travel here twice a year from Australia to attend them.

The thing I have noticed most predominantly in Thai Visa Forum, apart from the excellent advice regarding visas to be found here, is an almost overwhelming community of Thai bashers.

Serious, dedicated bashers who appear to be waiting like vultures on a fence, for the

next piece of negative news to drop into their inbox, to pounce upon, to say, there, you see, what a terrible place this is and what idiots Thai people are.

If most of these people either live here or visit here often, it really makes me wonder why they come at all.

Can someone please explain?

Yeah, too many unhappy stupids I guess.

Fully agree with your comments.

24 years in Thailand and the only people who have done me or my business harm are foreigners..........

Sad admission actually.

I will bow to your longevity and experience,and i feel the same as u,only 10 years though in the beautiful Pattaya

I definatly don't like the Thai bashers. In my experience with Thais they will come more than half the way if you give them a chance.

Then there are people like myself a government basher. Far from Thai bashing.

Edited by hellodolly

Mormons keep stopping me in the street and JW's knock on my front door every Saturday. Now I'm also to be subjected to pretty girls saying 'sawasdee kha, that's Thai you know?' whilst gently placing orchids in my hand at the shopping centre?

Hmmm. please don't throw me into the briar patch. (off to the mall)

• Like 1

I think more practical advice would be more useful. Such as what to say when people ask why there are so many prostitutes in Thailand. And how is it that the Thai PM is the sister of a "self exiled" fugitive who is actually running the country. That sort of thing.

How about Thais living abroad wanting Thailand and it's government to promote decency, honesty, integrity, good reputations, no corruption in government, no criminals running the country while on the run from the law.....you know, just act and do right so the country has a good reputation and the Thais living abroad don't have to answer those "other" questions. Let's start with Yingluck, her brother and her government. I agree with you, Jingthing.

Funny, the few Thais I know living in Florida are doctors. They told me nothing but bad things about Thailand. Government, police, and local corruption, violence, driving dangers, etc., most Thais living abroad aren't proud of those facts. I think PM better have a better formed country structure before she asks her own people to promote it.

Yes if you live outside Thailand you can read what the expat Thais living in places like San Francisco actually write about Thailand - on Youtube, Facebook etc. It is not exactly great PR. Strangely most of their opinions are censored inside Thailand so cannot be viewed. I wonder why?

Karaoke Bars coming to your area soon

Politicians impregnating 15 year old karaoke staff

I'm assuming she's referring to the imaginary thai culture as opposed to actual reality

The official Thai Culture as described by TAT. Never to be brought into disrepute by anyone. One of the sacred institutions.

Yingluck should ask the question, "Why should the majority of Thai Immigrants promote Thainess"? most of them only return to Thailand from their adopted Country,for holidays,and to visit their family and friends'' it's all very well expecting them to be Promoting Thailand,but I suspect there will not be much interest,they didn't immigrate to have the same lifestyle as they did in Thailand.

And Mentioning ID cards for Thais will be available by Post from next year,is all very well and good,but does nothing for Thai Passport renewals,which some have to travel more than 200 miles to collect them in person at their nearest Thai Consulate.

When I married my Thai wife, it had to be registered in BKK (from Samui), her name had to be changed in Sukhothai, she could only buy a passport in BKK, but somehow my middle name had worked its way into her name, so back to Sukhothai to correct, then back to BKK for passport, which has to be picked up in person after 3 working days, but their was a public holiday weekend included so back to Sukhothai to visit mum, and then nearly 2 weeks later,home to Samui via BKK for passport. Only some time after I realised how lucky I was that she wasn't from Chiang Rai or Sungai Kolok.

Later, in oz, Thai Air refused to allow my step-children to board on a second leg of a return ticket, despite her maiden name being shown in passport, until we gave them a stat dec in English (which she can't read) that she was their mother.

I have 6 of my English friends with Thai wives,they all have to appear in person at the Thai Embassy (which only accept Passport Renewal applications in the morning between 9-0 - 12-30 am,with their application and documentation,and then come back late afternoon to pick up their New Passport. All told a 440 mile round trip,a night in an Hotel,and a day off work. And Yingluck thinks she is doing Thai people favours by doing Postal ID cards for Thai Expats?

With only seven Thai Embassies and Consulates covering the UK ,Thai ID Cards are not the biggest Problem.

The Thai Embassy in London don't even do OA Visa applications amongst other Visa's, by Post,appearance in person only,or no Visa.,and every document must be endorsed by a Notary Public. I guess she hasn't learned too much about Thainess yet!

Edited by MAJIC

You have to understand this is a woman who has never travelled too much. She must see the world through blinkers.

It's like the American cruise ship passengers who only leave the ship for the local tour and shopping.

Her brother is the same which is why despite his enormous wealth he finds himself an exiled wealthy gypsy.

Wherever he travels he has to use his broken English and in the places he frequents wealth is the norm.

One thing he won't get is the sort of face he had in Thailand.

A lonely bitter man trying to use his sister as a pawn in a game he should never have got in to.

Edited by Jay Sata

They can learn from the PM, simply smile and walk away.

I remember reading a letter in The Post from a Thai lady whose husband lectured at a university in California and every year they held a BBQ to welcome any new Thai students.

One of the first things was to quietly get it through to the new arrivals was that they were now the foreigners and she was less than complimentary about the attitude encountered in trying to make them understand and she included students already at the university who could not / would not adapt. All non-Thais were still farang.

• Like 1

So interesting that Thais (especially educated, well-traveled Thais) would think that they and their culture as practiced are in a position to spread it. It's as if they think they have something to be very proud of that most of the world would agree with.

Can ANY THAIS out there, PLEASE, explain what Thai core values are. I cannot find any written works that describe such culture or core beliefs.

Many cultures of people have something. Just a shorthand list

Chinese - hard work, respect for education and knowledge

Japanese - deep respect for others in society & concern for fellow man well being, efficiency in everything, beauty in simplicity

Americans - every man created equal, religious freedom, belief that anyone can rise up from his/her 'station' in life, hard work

I simply cannot think of what Thai (respectable) values are. Does anyone know? I'm dying to know. Thais trying to promote Thainess abroad might be in for a very uncomfortable surprise when most of the world either ignores them or challenges them very frankly on their alleged values/culture. They won't find most of the people in the places they study or live abroad to be as gullible as many of the tourist they may have grown up encountering in Thailand.

Good luck to them

• Like 2

Splendid idea. However one small problem may be that no one has ever come up with an even remotely standard defintion of "Thainess". What is it anyway? It may be difficult to promote a concept or share something that has yet to be identified. Surely a generously funded working group, committee or new cabinet post would be able to unravel this mystery in short order.

They can learn from the PM, simply smile and walk away.

Wouldn't that be simply smile and take a trip somewhere?

I was on a flight (Bangkok, Taiwan, LAX) once. While seating prior to the LAX leg a Thai mother daughter pair came along to get into the inner seats from me. I got up for easier access for them. As the elderly lady passed she called me a kwai & then the daughter apologized. While in flight the elderly lady was starting in on the stewardess about the food. Then she wanted to start to the exit while the aircraft was taxiing to the gate at LAX.

I think the article is getting at promoting behavior similar to this.

I was visiting Thai friends one day. There was a knock on the door and a guy came in and looked at me and said "Who is the old farang - is he rich?" I replied "Be careful, the old farang can speak Thai." He slapped his hand over his mouth in shock but no apology was forthcoming. Nor did the other Thais in the room reprimand him. I am not so friendly with that group anymore.

That's kind of absurd. Thais are Thai. Americans are Americans. No need to ask.

But Thai will tell you again and again you are not being Thai or that is not the Thai way. Besides if they are being Thai when they should pay 10 times the price for everything since they are now the foreigners.

Okay, before I go on a sarcastic rant: what -in the name of <deleted>- is "Thainess?

Fake smiles? The inability to tell the straight- out truth, accept criticism or advice (from farang, especially) and say "sorry" if you made a mistake?

Or is it that fake ideal of respecting elders (at all costs! And I mean ALL costs!), love children (but do everything to get them killed, from disastrous food to the no- helmet policy on motorbikes?) and generally see Thailand as the center of the known universe?

The cute folklore-stuff, like praying to a river- godess, instead of putting together a team of experts to longlastingly fight flooding?

The constant denial about prostitution, no matter if it is in your face on Patpong or hidden in a brothel upcountry?

I could go on and on and on and on and....

And you would not think of living anywhere else ! clap2.gif

Have done for 40 years, have thought about it now and again in my 6 years here and still think of going back home from time to time.

Expats from nearly all countries complain about the local majority population in nearly any country. But, by and large, in the larger countries, expats do find certain core values to respect about their hosts.

Look at any Chinese expat forums, Singapore, Malaysia, Japan, Korea, south America, western Europe, even some of the Arab states, Vietnam, US. Etc.

Thailand is in a group of a handful of countries where expats by and large (working, clean and normal expats at the top of industry here in Thailand) have scant anything good to say about their host's values or culture. That's true.

People might not agree with the Chinese, but It hard to deny that their civilization has brought much to the world. Same to varying degrees with many countries around the world.

Then, gaze on Thailand. What values do they claim as Thai? Surely most of the stuff that you might here from a wealthier Thai abroad is actually co-opted Chinese culture. Hard work and valuing education and all that. The culture? Much of the most visible culture is no doubt co-opted khmer culture. Food? Sure, but much of it is actually Lao in origin. And we know how the Thais generally feel about the Lao.

So, what is Thai culture and what are Thai values. I note that the usual defenders of everything Thai are conspicuous by their absence.

As far as marketing and what not, Mrs Yingluck does not have a terrible idea. Look at how well South Korea did? When you guys think of South Korea, surely most of us don't think of it as a place with the largest sexy industry in the world exporting fine Hookers all over the world (which is true).

The problem though is that Koreans have earned respect through other endeavors. Smart populace. World class products and tech. Ect. FACE as a generally honourable vehicle to motivate positive action (rather than something to hide a fragile ego behind and to use in avoiding responsibility, hard work or anything honourable).

At this time in their cultural development and achievement, Thais are really at the lower rung. They have not much about which to be outwardly proud. Unless they are spreading Thai culture to the North Koreans, or central african failed states.

I don't hate Thais, but I just want one of them to give me a straight answer on this. It's a fundamental area of concern for their futures as a respectable nation.

• Like 1

To be fair, maybe the concept of 'Sanuk' is a Thai value. However, I would imagine that most cultures that have made great contributions to the global community would find such a permeating value as rather childish. Especially knowing that true accomplishment most always requires some great sacrifice. Not sitting around on one's bum all day relaxing and having fun?

• Like 1

When I hear this word I can't help thinking about the good old Nutty Boys from Camden Town.

"Thainess, Thainess, they call it Thainess..."

Perhaps they could do a similar song here? It would make a change from that other one they all sing.

To be fair, maybe the concept of 'Sanuk' is a Thai value. However, I would imagine that most cultures that have made great contributions to the global community would find such a permeating value as rather childish. Especially knowing that true accomplishment most always requires some great sacrifice. Not sitting around on one's bum all day relaxing and having fun?

We could probably also count in kreng jai as a Thai concept. But the other patrons might think it a little odd when they witness someone sliding across the floor to have a word with their boss at Friday night drinks in Melbourne.

'What are you doing?'

'Promoting Thainess, phii'

Edited by Songhua