Info on Buriram.

diyer

I'll be taking my first visit to Thailand this October and meeting a young lady from Buriram.

I'd appreciate any information on the local area, such as;

Hotels

Supermarkets

Must see

Places to avoid

Any useful tips are appreciated.

She lives near the bus station if that's any help.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll be taking my first visit to Thailand this October and meeting a young lady from Buriram.

I'd appreciate any information on the local area, such as;

Hotels

Supermarkets

Must see

Places to avoid

Any useful tips are appreciated.

She lives near the bus station if that's any help.

Good idea by Barry. Loads of Burirams expats will undoubtably have comments both useful and also not so useful to give you.

Good luck

• Like 1

Oh dear - where to begin. There is a forum for Buriram residents but I'm probably not allowed to mention it here. PM me and I'll advise.

Done - thanks Barry.

Agoda is your best source for hotels. I've stayed at the Thep Nakhon Hotel and didn't think it was all that bad.

Phanom Rung is interesting and not too far away.

Ta Klang Elephant Village in Surin also isn't too far away.

In Isan, you can get a furnished apartment for as little as 1-2k baht/month + utilities without aircon. With aircon, hot water, furniture and TV you can find studio apartments for around 3-4k baht/month+utilities. Obviously these prices vary by location and features but that's about the minimum for studio apartments in Ubon which is probably nearly identical to Buriram prices. Some of these hotels on Agoda probably have monthly rates if you contact them directly. Many hotels serve as both apartments and a hotel. A small home with hardly any yard can be rented for as little as 5k baht/month but rentals aren't easy to find. It's mostly word of mouth. Check ThaiVisa classifieds, talk to your hotel manager, your lady friend and any expats you find. They'll all help you look for a place if you stay long term.

Edited by ubonrthai
  • Like 1

Quite frankly Buriram itself hasn't got much going for it. Typical dusty regional provincial centre. If you're thinking of staying for a longer term you might like to consider Prakhonchai (40kms South) or Bankruad (60kms South) rentals cheaper than Buriram City. Plenty of rental properties available e,g, 2 story, 3bdm house (no a/c) 2,500 - 3,000 bht month.

Quite frankly Buriram itself hasn't got much going for it. Typical dusty regional provincial centre. If you're thinking of staying for a longer term you might like to consider Prakhonchai (40kms South) or Bankruad (60kms South) rentals cheaper than Buriram City. Plenty of rental properties available e,g, 2 story, 3bdm house (no a/c) 2,500 - 3,000 bht month.

And even less to do!?

And even less to do!?

Not so sure about that. Closer to Phanom Rung. Equidistant to Khorat or Surin, Mind you we don't have the university with all those lovely uniformed ladies (if you're into that sort of thing of course)

• Like 1

Many thanks for the map Thai Chi wai.gif

Thanks for all the advice. Until I actually visit and see how the land lye's, nothing is for certain.

I definitely want to retire to Thailand next year but have now idea where I'll live, other than in Issan.

Shocked but pleasantly surprised at the house rental prices.

Have I got my sums right?

5,000 baht a month, approx. £112. w00t.gif

Many thanks for the map Thai Chi Posted Image

Thanks for all the advice. Until I actually visit and see how the land lye's, nothing is for certain.

I definitely want to retire to Thailand next year but have now idea where I'll live, other than in Issan.

5,000 baht a month, approx. £112. Posted Image

Yes that right but remember relating that to pounds is just something tourists do ( AKA 2week Millionaires). It's a different kettle of worms when you live here full time.
  • Like 1

After almost a decade here the firts sentence made me laugh a little.

:D

OP, if you get to meet any Thais in our home country, as they're working or studying overseas, make sure to tell them exactly that and ask them for any recommendations. :D

After almost a decade here the firts sentence made me laugh a little.

biggrin.png

OP, if you get to meet any Thais in our home country, as they're working or studying overseas, make sure to tell them exactly that and ask them for any recommendations. biggrin.png

By young, I mean younger than me but well above student age.

By lady, I mean woman, as opposed to lady boy.

Dilligad,

Yep, I know the tourist is on holiday and spendthrift, whereas the expat will be more conservative with money.

But.....as I intend to retire next year and be living on a fixed monthly income for a while, then all costs in Thailand help me to assess the kind of lifestyle I can live there against that of the UK. I appreciate all your comments.

^ Sorry mate, the joke was in the 'Buriram' part of the sentence.

It's a Khmer-Thai Isaan province, that means nothing to you, and good for that, but for Thais who judge everyone on their race and social standing, it's like declaring you're hooking up with..... well I won't go there because it:

a) I don't believe it their racist judgementalism.

b ) it would be deleted.

Go have fun man. In a few years of living here you'll understand. Hopefully won't give a but understand all the same.

Enjoy yourself man, all the best. smile.png

5,000 baht a month, approx. £112

That's on the low end but certainly possible. I know a guy with a 2 bed, 1 bath paying 3,000b in Ubon. I also know a guy with a 4 bed, 3 bath house with a western kitchen indoors and a yard paying 24,000 baht.

Edited by ubonrthai

^ Sorry mate, the joke was in the 'Buriram' part of the sentence.

It's a Khmer-Thai Isaan province, that means nothing to you, and good for that, but for Thais who judge everyone on their race and social standing, it's like declaring you're hooking up with..... well I won't go there because it:

a) I don't believe it their racist judgementalism.

b ) it would be deleted.

Go have fun man. In a few years of living here you'll understand. Hopefully won't give a but understand all the same.

Enjoy yourself man, all the best. smile.png

biggrin.png

5,000 baht a month, approx. £112

That's on the low end but certainly possible. I know a guy with a 2 bed, 1 bath paying 3,000b in Ubon. I also know a guy with a 4 bed, 3 bath house with a western kitchen indoors and a yard paying 24,000 baht.

Thanks,

I realise prices will vary depending on location, urban, rural etc and of course whether your prepared to live in native conditions or want western comforts.

From what I've read on other topics, I'd be better to let a Thai friend negotiate any prices as the farang only pays one price....too much!

• Like 1

I lived in Isaan before and a friend who still does pays 4.5k baht p/m for a 3 bedroom detached house with nice walled in garden, insied and outside ktichen, massive kiving room and dining room downstairs, in a provincial capital. (about 3km from the town center). Which is about right for a non-major provincial capital.

Though you will usually have to buy everything as it will be empty inside. I guess I've spent about 200k baht on the stuff in my house.

When you move, rent out a furnished condo for a year or five until you start to understand Thailand. ;)

• Like 2

When you move, rent out a furnished condo for a year or five until you start to understand Thailand. wink.png

Or better still, find a woman who already owns a house. thumbsup.gif

When you move, rent out a furnished condo for a year or five until you start to understand Thailand. wink.png

That is a good idea but there are not too many furnished condo's in most towns/cities in Isaan. Hotel rooms - there are many for long term rental

Edited by DILLIGAD

Or better still, find a woman who already owns a house. thumbsup.gif

Personally I don't form or seek out relationships based on other's property ownership. wink.png

To each their own though. thumbsup.gif

Edited by Salapoo

^^^^^,

too be honest I was thinking more of the OP having some sort of say over, where he stays, what type of food he chooses to eat, what he wishes to do during the day, how much or how little money he chooses to spend.

Going to Buriram on his own for the first time he will be nothing more than an innocent abroad.

I assume he doesnt speak read or write Thai, thus leaving him at the mercy of the girl who will have to be his eyes and ears, translating etc for him.

So many questions I could post on here for the Op to ask the girl, best he learns for himself.

Living here has made me cynical, not an excuse, just a fact.

• Like 1