Info on Buriram.

diyer

^^^^^,

too be honest I was thinking more of the OP having some sort of say over, where he stays, what type of food he chooses to eat, what he wishes to do during the day, how much or how little money he chooses to spend.

Going to Buriram on his own for the first time he will be nothing more than an innocent abroad.

I assume he doesnt speak read or write Thai, thus leaving him at the mercy of the girl who will have to be his eyes and ears, translating etc for him.

So many questions I could post on here for the Op to ask the girl, best he learns for himself.

Living here has made me cynical, not an excuse, just a fact.

Feel free to post questions for me...........an innocent abroad, like a lamb to the slaughter.

Is that the typical opinion shown to a newbie on this forum without any insight to his background.

Well I may never have been to Thailand before, but I was married to a Chinese woman before.

Different Country, similar cultures, similar customs, similar cuisine.

I have English friends in Roi Et.

I can probably barter better than most Thai's, or walk away.

I don't flaunt money about.

Buy me house, I love you long time..............Nope! To many mugs fell for that one.

Speak Thai......No, but never had a problem with communicating before, gestures, sign language, or a pen and paper.

I tend to think with the head on my shoulders, instead of the other head.

I'm only talking with a woman in Buriram, who happens to speak good English.

If you want to be cynical and disrespectful, first identify your problem, then learn how to spell it.

Constructive criticism or advice accepted and appreciated.

• Like 1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Feel free to post questions for me...........an innocent abroad, like a lamb to the slaughter.

Is that the typical opinion shown to a newbie on this forum without any insight to his background.

No mate, it's that you're going off to meet a girl in Buriram, means nothing to you of course, and that's completely natural, why would it.

To those living here for years it's like popping up on a UK forum saying that you're about to visit for the first time and you're off to the largest Gypsy halting site in the UK to meet a local girl there.

No disrespect meant to yourself or people from Buriram. I've traveled through many times and always enjoyed my stay. smile.png

Edited by Salapoo

No mate, it's that you're going off to meet a girl in Buriram, means nothing to you of course, and that's completely natural, why would it.

To those living here for years it's like popping up on a UK forum saying that you're about to visit for the first time and you're off to the largest Gypsy halting site in the UK to meet a local girl there.

No disrespect meant to yourself or people from Buriram. I've traveled through many times and always enjoyed my stay. smile.png

Thanks for your opinion Salapoo, I'll bear that in mind.

That's definitely the type of local knowledge I wouldn't know.

Which area around Roi Et would you consider to be the best. Obviously some will disagree with you.

^ Actually Roi-Et is the probably the nicest place in Central Isaan, imo.

Decent amenities, nice lake and area in the center of town. It would make the list of 5 places I'd move to in Isaan, it being so central however makes it hundreds of Km from nowhere.

Edited by Salapoo
  • Like 2

^^^^^,

too be honest I was thinking more of the OP having some sort of say over, where he stays, what type of food he chooses to eat, what he wishes to do during the day, how much or how little money he chooses to spend.

Going to Buriram on his own for the first time he will be nothing more than an innocent abroad.

I assume he doesnt speak read or write Thai, thus leaving him at the mercy of the girl who will have to be his eyes and ears, translating etc for him.

So many questions I could post on here for the Op to ask the girl, best he learns for himself.

Well I may never have been to Thailand before, but I was married to a Chinese woman before.

Buy me house, I love you long time..............Nope! To many mugs fell for that one.

Speak Thai......No, but never had a problem with communicating before, gestures, sign language, or a pen and paper.

If you want to be cynical and disrespectful, first identify your problem, then learn how to spell it.

I have no idea if it is or isn't.

You are in for a rude awakening, talk to some of the Chinese Thais and you would be shocked as to their opinons.

Probably best if you talk to your friends in Roi Et, (or LA as its known in Thailand).

A good friend has recently returned to the UK from the same area, he was less than complimentary of the people and the area.

How do you know the woman you are talking to is the one you intend to meet with?

Those of us who live here are only too aware of what takes place.

If you want to be cynical and disrespectful, first identify your problem, then learn how to

spell it.

I have already admitted living here has made me cynical, wouldnt call it a problem though.

Please point out where I have been disrespectful?

Never claimed to be a TEFLr, didnt spot any mistakes, perhaps you can highlight them for me.

Heres questions a Thai would be asking, has the woman been married before if so does she have any children?

Where did the woman get her degree (she does have one I assume)?

Where does she work and what position does she hold?

How much is her monthly salary?

How much land does she own, does the land have chanote papers?

What kind of car does she own and is it on credit?

Does she have access to the government healthcare system?

Where did she learn to speak such good English?

How old is the woman?

The above are just for starters, as I mentioned before, whats stopping the woman coming to Bkk to meet you?

• Like 2

Get of youre high horse fella ,why are so many bangkok hi sos buying up land in buriram to build factories ,a racing track ,a theme park and i could go on ..... The place is booming and not the dusty old town it was once before when i first came there more then ten years ago sub human my ass the town centre bussenisses are owned by thai chinese.

I would agree with you and have also noticed the same expansion in nearly every city in Isaan.

I think the fact that others are investing in the area might not necessarily be a clear indication of the integrity of the indigenous population.

Do you think the British Empire of old, was built to help the locals and their customs, for instance? LOL!

A post has been removed as the reply was made within the quoted post, in effect altering the quoted post:

30) Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.

Many thanks for the map Thai Chi wai.gif

Thanks for all the advice. Until I actually visit and see how the land lye's, nothing is for certain.

I definitely want to retire to Thailand next year but have now idea where I'll live, other than in Issan.

Shocked but pleasantly surprised at the house rental prices.

Have I got my sums right?

5,000 baht a month, approx. £112. w00t.gif

im paying 6000 baht for a 3 bed bungalow yes its cheap and i like it lol

OP please go ahead and spend some time in Buriram.

As well as pleasant people it has a couple of decent size swimming pools that are always empty.

Some thai karaoke bars that you will be made most welcome in by the local thai men.

just chill you will have a blast, I'm always sad to go back home.

• Like 2

^^^^^,

Heres questions a Thai would be asking, has the woman been married before if so does she have any children?

How old is the woman?

The above are just for starters, as I mentioned before, whats stopping the woman coming to Bkk to meet you?

I have the answers to all the above questions and a lot more.

Why on earth would I want the woman to meet me in BKK. I have no intention of staying in BKK.

I want to live with the locals, eat the same food and learn a little Thai.

You've already made up your mind I'm one of those wet behind the ear tourist.

I can assure you my eyes are wide open.

If they are gypsies and live in caravans, I'll be just as happy.

I'm not coming as the traditional tourist, more a reconnaissance mission.

I would find much out about Thailand in a 4* BKK hotel!

OK so you want to go straight to Buriram. After you've landed at Suvarniphum airport get a taxi to Moi Chit (Northern) bus station. Tell the taxi driver you want to go to Issan and he should take you to the upstairs level. Go to counter #26 and buy a ticket for Buriram Cost about 300 baht, journey time about 6 hours.

He may want to fly on Nok Air and land at the nice airport North of Buriram, or take one of the eight SAFE, comfortable single level white buses from WWW.NCA.CO.TH from the dedicated NAKHONCHAI AIR bus terminal in Bangkok. Most every Taxi driver knows how to get to the Nokhonchai Air bus terminal, where he can board a safe non stop direct bus to Buriram for about 360 baht including a snack and two non alcoholic beverages served on the bus. A good link here on Thai Visa. The woman he is to meet in Buriram would most likely be familiar with this bus line and she could reserve his bus ticket over the phone, he can pay at any 7-11 in a time period, and then give the slip to the counter person at the Nakhonchai Air bus terminal in Bangkok. No need to wait a long time to board a safe Gold Class bus to/from Buriram. First Class is not offered on that route. Silver or Economy class would not be my choice if Gold class was available for the same route.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/468030-nakhonchai-air-bus-types/

He may want to fly on Nok Air and land at the nice airport North of Buriram, or take one of the eight SAFE, comfortable single level white buses from WWW.NCA.CO.TH from the dedicated NAKHONCHAI AIR bus terminal in Bangkok. Most every Taxi driver knows how to get to the Nokhonchai Air bus terminal, where he can board a safe non stop direct bus to Buriram for about 360 baht including a snack and two non alcoholic beverages served on the bus. A good link here on Thai Visa. The woman he is to meet in Buriram would most likely be familiar with this bus line and she could reserve his bus ticket over the phone, he can pay at any 7-11 in a time period, and then give the slip to the counter person at the Nakhonchai Air bus terminal in Bangkok. No need to wait a long time to board a safe Gold Class bus to/from Buriram. First Class is not offered on that route. Silver or Economy class would not be my choice if Gold class was available for the same route.

Two good options and I note how you used UPPER CASE for the word SAFE.

Mate, you will not believe some of the drivers and accidents experienced out here (even if you have ventured to other countries before).

^^^^^,

How old is the woman?

I have the answers to all the above questions and a lot more.

Why on earth would I want the woman to meet me in BKK. I have no intention of staying in BKK.

I can assure you my eyes are wide open.

If they are gypsies and live in caravans, I'll be just as happy.

If you are serious about living here i would suggest you spend a year in Bkk, rent a cheap condo in On Nut and study Thai at say UTL for 6,000 baht per month, this will give an insight into the culture and thought process of normal Thais, you would be surprised at the number of farang who have lived here for years and cant string a simple sentance to gether in Thai, totally reliant on their wife.

Why would you want to learn Thai if you intend living in Issan?

You do realise the local language in Buriram is Khmer dont you?.

You do realise in other parts of Issan its Lao dont you?

I have said no such thing, and despite asking you to show me, you still havent, with an attitude like yours you will fit in just fine.

You really dont have a clue.

I dont know any respectful Thai woman who would invite a man she has never met to her home town, its just not the done thing.

You do realise by going there, in her eyes and those of her peers, you are now announcing yourself as a couple.

I hope you have an exit strategy in place should things go sour.

Already addressed that, rent a condo in On nut for about 6k per month and study Thai.

As for Buriram, one of the poorest provinces in one of the poorest regions of Thailand.

Freezing in the winter and roasting in the summer.

I can think of much better places to live, Phetchabun and Chanthaburi are two that spring to mind.

Just as a matter of interest, how much do you think you will be able to survive on per month?

You do know the cost of health insurance dont you?

rgs2001uk, I was enjoying your take on things in regards to diyers upcoming trip to Buriram. It sounded like you know the place well .....until this plonker .......

"Freezing in the winter and roasting in the summer"

Now I am thinking that you may have only visited it in Google maps?

Agree 100% with your comments about NCA. Great service and now 10 services a day. Price has risen dramatically to 372 Bht thoughbiggrin.png

• Like 1

rgs2001uk, I was enjoying your take on things in regards to diyers upcoming trip to Buriram. It sounded like you know the place well .....until this plonker .......

Yeah, nice one, perhaps living here has thinned my blood, probably why the Thais call it, naa nao and naa ron.

Must admit its quite funny watching the locals with their big jackets and jumpers, gloves and hats on as if they were heading off on some polar expedition.

I personally have enjoyed reading salapoos input.

You only have to turn on the tv at night to watch how theses people are portrayed, or listen to other Thais talk about the locals from this area.

Lets be honest, unless you enjoy Khmer temples or are a teacher who doesnt care where he works, there isnt really much to draw you here, there are other nicer and more pleasant parts of not only Thailand but Issan itself.

The sad truth is most end up here because thats where their partner is from.

Does Ray (?) still have his place in Prakhon Chai?

Has that 24 been sorted out yet.

Last time I stopped off for a few drinks, it was in what could only be described as a shed by the side of the road right next door to some food place owned by a farang I believe.

Do you remember "bulldozer man" form Prakhon Chai?

The above should disprove your google maps theory, never mind, a bit of harmless banter.

rgs,

I'm sure your posts are from concern about my safety. I'm sure over a pint of beer you'd get to know me and know I'm no mug. (no pun intended)

But you are correct that I have a lot to learn about Thailand. Maybe we got off on the wrong foot wink.png

In the UK I run a forum, much smaller than this one, about China.

I give the same advise to others about the pitfalls, scams, women, customs, cultures and Visa requirements for China and the UK.

I don't profess to be an expert, but I try to help others with my knowledge and experience.

I joined this forum for the same advice about Thailand.

I've already done a lot of research on Thailand, I have an English friend who lives in RoiEt, but one can ever know everything about another Country.

Will I make mistakes.......you bet, who hasn't!

Thanks for the travel advice, I'll ask more in the appropriate forum, but basically I'll be taking a 3 week vacation in October.

I'll be taking a flight to BKK, then my thought was to shuttle over to 'Don Muang' and catch a Nok Air flight to RoiEt where I'll meet my friend.

After a few days I'll catch a local bus to Buriram.

She hasn't invited me to her home and I certainly wouldn't stay in it anyway. I'll look for a nearby hotel.

I told her I was visiting my friend in RoiEt and would pop down to meet her.

Nothings in concrete about where or who I'll live with.

As for income. £40K (1,880,000 baht) savings and monthly income of £800 (37,600 baht) initially, rising to £1,600 (75,200 baht) later.

I prefer to keep my home in the UK as a security.

The Thai locals in RoiEt regard Buriram as a decent place to live and thanks to a few PM's I've been given a lot of local knowledge and good advice on the area.

If I get time I'll visit Phetchabun and Chanthaburi which rgs recommended.

If you are serious about living here i would suggest you spend a year in Bkk, rent a cheap condo in On Nut and study Thai at say UTL for 6,000 baht per month, this will give an insight into the culture and thought process of normal Thais, you would be surprised at the number of farang who have lived here for years and cant string a simple sentance to gether in Thai, totally reliant on their wife.

I quite agree, I'm also surprised at the number of English who can't spell sentence or together.

Can we call a truce on the tit for tat.

Life's to short! wai2.gif

Hope you enjoy your stay. I like Roi Et too.

One question about you friend in Buriram. What work does she do?

BTW If you are here 2nd week in November, the city nearby has the largest gathering of Elephants in the world! Maybe that might be of interest ?????

Edited by DILLIGAD

Yeah, nice one, perhaps living here has thinned my blood, probably why the Thais call it, naa nao and naa ron.

Must admit its quite funny watching the locals with their big jackets and jumpers, gloves and hats on as if they were heading off on some polar expedition.

I personally have enjoyed reading salapoos input.

You only have to turn on the tv at night to watch how theses people are portrayed, or listen to other Thais talk about the locals from this area.

Lets be honest, unless you enjoy Khmer temples or are a teacher who doesnt care where he works, there isnt really much to draw you here, there are other nicer and more pleasant parts of not only Thailand but Issan itself.

The sad truth is most end up here because thats where their partner is from.

Does Ray (?) still have his place in Prakhon Chai?

Has that 24 been sorted out yet.

Last time I stopped off for a few drinks, it was in what could only be described as a shed by the side of the road right next door to some food place owned by a farang I believe.

Do you remember the "bulldozer man" form Prakhon Chai?

The above should disprove your google maps theory, never mind, a bit of harmless banter.

Exactly rgs, harmless, tongue in cheek banter.

Although it sounds like you may have not been up this way for sometime?

Ray sold up a few years ago now to a guy called Steve.

The Hwy 24 has been sorted out again, and again, and again, and is due for another makeover soon.

There are now many established places in and around Buriram for a quite (or not so quite) drink.

I do remember the "bulldozer man" if its the European guy that demolished his (?) home you are talking about.

Buriram has grown over the last 10 years or so. And the good thing is that the infrastructure has kept pace. Or at least trying hard to keep pace. Buriram now has a completely new "ring road" as well as many new arterial roads. The road out to Surin is now almost double lanes all the way. Same same to Nan Rong.

The moats around the town center have had a recent upgrade and look absolutely beautiful. There are plenty of places for shopping and I believe that Robinsons are looking at Buriram for one of their complexes. The i mobile stadium is already here and a moto gp track is under construction.

For whatever reason people come to Buriram, it is a very easy place to call home. If your "thing" is to socialize with fellow expats at a bar every day, you are reasonably well catered for, If you are into a more active lifestyle there is a cycling club, both on and off road. Swimming pools, badminton, martial arts, gyms, tennis, and motor cross track. There is also a very active model aeroplane / helicopter flying club.

Like everywhere in the world, there is always somewhere nicer. My circumstances put me here in Buriram (wife in full time employment and daughter in school) I guess its what you make of it. For me, Buriram does the job and ticks all of the boxes.

Buriram rant over........smile.png

• Like 1

October is quite a pleasant month to visit, the rains should be coming to an end, the rice harvest in full swing. For the average temperatures in Buriram see this http://www.meoweather.com/history/Thailand/na/15/103.116667/Buriram.html

As for 'freezing' and 'sweltering' the lowest temperature I have experienced here was 11 deg C, recorded about 10 years ago, and the highest 42 deg C recorded at Nang Rong weather station (South of Buriram) this last hot season.

A few posts off the mark.

Learning Thai before coming to Buriram is fine. As mentioned there are other local languages. There are actually more Issan Lao speakers than there are Khmer. You will find that nearly everyone will also converse in Thai. It most definitely is not a point of no one understands Thai.

The road from Buriram to Nang Rong is approx 50kms long. Only about 15kms of that is currently 4 lane. The rest is still 2 lane.

To the OP....Come up here and have a look round. Two good hotels that are not expensive are the Siam Hotel and the Grand Diamond. Both offer a deal for a month. Both will be well known to local transport.

Buriram bus station now also has 7 meter taxis, same type as in Bangkok.

Enjoy.

Hope you enjoy your stay. I like Roi Et too. One question about you friend in Buriram. What work does she do? BTW If you are here 2nd week in November, the city nearby has the largest gathering of Elephants in the world! Maybe that might be of interest ?????

9-5 she works as an Administrator in an Accountants company. She also owns a café, coffee and steaks.

Her daughter runs the café but she helps out 5-9pm. Doesn't work weekends.

Unfortunately 3 weeks is the longest period I'm allowed to take off work in one go.

rgs,

I'm sure your posts are from concern about my safety. I'm sure over a pint of beer you'd get to know me and know I'm no mug. (no pun intended)

But you are correct that I have a lot to learn about Thailand. Maybe we got off on the wrong foot wink.png

In the UK I run a forum, much smaller than this one, about China.

I give the same advise to others about the pitfalls, scams, women, customs, cultures and Visa requirements for China and the UK.

I don't profess to be an expert, but I try to help others with my knowledge and experience.

I joined this forum for the same advice about Thailand.

I've already done a lot of research on Thailand, I have an English friend who lives in RoiEt, but one can ever know everything about another Country.

Will I make mistakes.......you bet, who hasn't!

Thanks for the travel advice, I'll ask more in the appropriate forum, but basically I'll be taking a 3 week vacation in October.

I'll be taking a flight to BKK, then my thought was to shuttle over to 'Don Muang' and catch a Nok Air flight to RoiEt where I'll meet my friend.

After a few days I'll catch a local bus to Buriram.

She hasn't invited me to her home and I certainly wouldn't stay in it anyway. I'll look for a nearby hotel.

I told her I was visiting my friend in RoiEt and would pop down to meet her.

Nothings in concrete about where or who I'll live with.

As for income. £40K (1,880,000 baht) savings and monthly income of £800 (37,600 baht) initially, rising to £1,600 (75,200 baht) later.

I prefer to keep my home in the UK as a security.

The Thai locals in RoiEt regard Buriram as a decent place to live and thanks to a few PM's I've been given a lot of local knowledge and good advice on the area.

If I get time I'll visit Phetchabun and Chanthaburi which rgs recommended.

No worries diyer, my rose tinted specs came off a long time ago, at times I dont know if understanding the locals is a blessing or a curse, but it certainly gives an insight.

I see you are from Manchester, pity I wasnt in Swinton right now, we could have met up in the Henry Bodd on the Bolton Rd for a chat.

My concern for people is based on the following,

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2207024/Stephen-Phillips-Torquay-Devon-killed-Thailand-hitmen-wife-paid-using-money.html

http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/police-suspect-murder-in-death-of-bang-saray-brit-15411

Ok a bit extreme I know, another farang has already been alluded to on here, another tragic tale.

Sorry If I come across as negative, I prefer to tell it how it is warts and all.

That being said I would rather be here than there.

Another place of interest you may wish to consider is Khon Kaen, probably the most farang friendly town (IMHO) in Issan.

Best of luck, at least you are coming here with your eyes wide open, sadly more than can be said of some.

A few posts off the mark.

Learning Thai before coming to Buriram is fine. As mentioned there are other local languages. There are actually more Issan Lao speakers than there are Khmer. You will find that nearly everyone will also converse in Thai. It most definitely is not a point of no one understands Thai.

The road from Buriram to Nang Rong is approx 50kms long. Only about 15kms of that is currently 4 lane. The rest is still 2 lane.

To the OP....Come up here and have a look round. Two good hotels that are not expensive are the Siam Hotel and the Grand Diamond. Both offer a deal for a month. Both will be well known to local transport.

Buriram bus station now also has 7 meter taxis, same type as in Bangkok.

Enjoy.

Apologies for the misinformation about the Buriram to Nang Rong road. What I should have said was "eventually, same same as the Surin road" And considering the amount of earthworks going on, it probably wont be too long either ???????

Buriram has 10 meter taxis. It was 11, but one is out of commission due to an argument with a cement truck.

And probably should not be called "meter" taxis as the chance of getting them to turn it on are south of zero :)

Ignore RGS as he surely does not know what he is talking about.. Hot winter days and 20c winter evenings is not freezing.. Also the family will not think anything of you and you dont need any exit crap..

Dropped to 15 degrees around Prakhonchai this year.