Wearing sunglasses indoors

swerving

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably perverts, ex SAS or prescription.

I have prescription shades but I pretty much only use them when driving. I've never worn them indoors for fear of looking ridiculous.

• Like 2

....it winds me up too. Here they come in two categories;

1. Barry Gibb: Medallion, open shirt & a 'welcome mat' stuck to the chest. or

2. Tony Falsetto ('Suprano' for dwarfs!): All in black, hair jel, more bling than Mr T & a smartphone velcroed to their right ear.

smile.png

Edited by evadgib

Why do so many Thais and some foreigners insist on wearing sunglasses indoors, paricularly in places like supermarkets?

I realise there is probably a fashion element, but don't these people realise how stupid they look and how dangerous it can be? I have witnessed lots of people stumbling, bumping into things in my local Tesco. One Thai guy walked straight into a laden shopping trolley, almost ending up in the thing. Righted himself, lifted his glasses to see what he had walked into, put his galsses back on and within seconds walked straight into a clothing rack.

Another day i am behind a Thai guy and his wife at the checkout, came time to pay, the guy pulls his wallet out but cannot see. Lifts his glasses, takes out the money, puts glasses back on. Same routine when he gets his change.

2 days ago, which has prompted this rant...i am sitting in KFC, young Muslim family at the next table, watched in amusement as each time the husband reached towards the bucket for a piece of chicken or a french fry, had to lift his sunglasses to see what he was doing, once he snagged the morsel, sunglasses back on. This went on throughout the whole meal.

I sometimes feel like shouting out...take the fxxxxing sunglasses off, but as a long time resident in Thailand i have learnt to keep my feelings to myself. But it is frustrating...anyone share the same frustration?

Do you think it is cool to wear sunglasses indoors?

Personally, I think you have been really lucky. I dearly wish I'd have seen that stuff...I confess to nonsensically getting frustrated by people doing stupid things that have no effect on me - and that is what you describe - but these scenes would have made me laugh. Out loud (so to speak).

• Like 1

Just the opposite in my town. No local to Rhek Thum will wear sunglasses here, even outside in full sun. They will be accused of trying to look HI-SO, trying to look cooler than everyone else! Very strange.

I still wear mine on the scooter, but I do take them off when going into Tesco. Wouldn't want to be accused of trying to be a HI-SO farang.

• Like 1

10 years ago, regular Thais hardly wore sunglasses at all. Then bands like Titanium came along and started rocking them on film clips indoors, outdoors and at night. . At the same time, a rush of those cheap shades hit the market from China and it become the thing to do.

The only decent excuse to have sunnies with you indoors at night, is if you're planning on walking out of a club at 6am.

Why do so many Thais and some foreigners insist on wearing sunglasses indoors, paricularly in places like supermarkets?

"OH NO ... how can she wear Green ... it so clashes with her skin colour!

Green was sooooooooo last years colour ... doesn't she know it's Purple this year!

I've got a good mind to go over there and give her a piece of my mind."

How about this simply policy swerving ... let them live their life ... you live your life ... everyones happy and you will enjoy your time in Thailand much, much more.

It was only an observation, it does not affect my life here in LOS.

• Like 1

Just about Thais and sunglasses.

This the gf's Old Man.

Ex-Navy ... and they are original R-Bays he bought (he claims) 30 years ago.

post-104736-0-88609100-1373527156_thumb.

The R-Bays are very old school shape and lens tint ... would have cost him more then a few days wages to buy them back then. Having seen how fanatical he takes care of things ... 30 years old ... could well be.

He only wears them driving (he just hopped out of the car in this shot) so they don't get knocked around the Farm.

I have to wear sunglasses indoors sometimes, because like above, they are prescription and I haven't got my normal glasses. My eyes aren't the same so I will get a headache if I take them off. I would love to know how people can tell if they are prescription or not.

**** Baiting comments removed ****

Edited by metisdead
  • Like 1

Probably perverts, ex SAS or prescription.

I have prescription shades but I pretty much only use them when driving. I've never worn them indoors for fear of looking ridiculous.

It has been noticed that you distanced yourself expertly away from the perverts and ex SAS in your post there Songhua.

Well Done................................tongue.png I also have prescription shades................rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

I think it looks ridiculous.

Then again, if I've had mine on long, I tend to forget taking them off when going inside some shop.

I will almost Always though remove them partly when talking to someone or someone starting to talk to me.

I wear them, outside, for what they are for and also to block bright light, not even sunlight.

Sometimes the light just hurts my eyes, even giving me a headache.

Oh, and mine are cheap ones from 7-11.

• Like 1

I keep my sunglasses indoor because it's a good training for driving: my car with my 99% black film on windows, I do not even see as well as when wearing sunglasses in supermarket :-)

What you might also not understand is that many people with a kind of style when sunglasses that also correct their eyesight, so without their glasses they wouldn't see anything. Why not wearing standard corrective glasses ? Because it's ugly is a good reply !

You might also wonder why older men color their hair or don't wear shorts ? Same reason, try to avoid being ugly ! (same reason why I don't drive a Toyota or any other Jap car !)

Edited by bangkokstick