Wearing sunglasses indoors

swerving

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't see much wrong with wearing shades indoors.

Stevie Wonder did it for years and look at how he turned out...........................thumbsup.gif

Stevie wonder is blind, that's why he wears them. Roy Orbison was not blind and he wore them, but going off topic a bit, when it comes to singing, don't even try to compare Stevie Wonder with Roy Orbison. Sorry, I had to get that in.

I would neeever try to compare Roy and Stevie....................wink.png

He was blind as well? Just shows you never stop learnin' things................................tongue.png

No, Roy Orbison was not blind, though I do think he had some sort of eyesight problem.

start asking yourself :

why is there a culture of your face being whiter than pigeon kaka ?

in the land of sun ... people here are like vampires...afraid of the sun

Is it any more ridiculous than westerners going to absurd lengths (paying money to lie down in machines or have someone spray them with coloring) to get dark? People who for generations had to labor in the blazing hot tropical weather find the idea of avoiding the sun rather nice and is that less sensible than deliberately lying out in the sun in the insanely hot sun as so many Farangs do?

They are both rooted in class consciousness as much as aesthetics - and prior to the industrial revolution Europeans had the same notion, only later did a tan connote a life of leisure and rich man's pursuits like tennis, golf, and yachting. But even if they weren't, who is to say that what they find attractive is any less reasonable than what you or I do?

Edited by SteeleJoe
  • Like 2

But, hey man, I look sooooooooo cool in my shades!

I want you to see me, not me look at your visage.

Wait, I'll take my sunglasses off to see what I've typed......

I have prescription glasses that are dark so I do not have to change so often. I do not need to carry around extra glasses. It has nothing to do with appearance

Years and years ago a Thai friend of mine told me never to walk in a bank or jeweller with your sunglasses and/or baseball cap on. The sight of these automatically makes the personnel nervous (afraid you are robbing them), and I can understand them fully. My friend told me that you might get poor service or outright neglected unless you strip your shades.

Once in Nong Khai I stepped into a Bangkok Bank branch from direct sunlight to update my passbook in the ATM. Immediately I was accompanied by the security guy who told me to "Sir, take off sunglass!" and knowing why he asked, promptly reacted.

Actually this "Bank - no sunglasses" -rule applies all around the globe.

"That's fine, Oryx, wear your sunglasses any time you like. It's not an issue. You never have to apologize or even explain. As to why anyone would start a thread to attack folks like you, ignore them. It's really none of their business."

Correct but not to the point. I don't think anyone in this thread attacked those who have ailments mitigated by dark glasses.

I still disagree with the OP because Thais outside of BKK anyway don't wear sunglasses outdoors or indoors. Again, exceptions -- bouncers, cops, sundry wannabees.

Why do so many Thais and some foreigners insist on wearing sunglasses indoors, paricularly in places like supermarkets?

"OH NO ... how can she wear Green ... it so clashes with her skin colour!

Green was sooooooooo last years colour ... doesn't she know it's Purple this year!

I've got a good mind to go over there and give her a piece of my mind."

How about this simply policy swerving ... let them live their life ... you live your life ... everyones happy and you will enjoy your time in Thailand much, much more.

It was only an observation, it does not affect my life here in LOS.

No it was not an observation it was a question.

If it does not affect your life here in Thailand why bring it up.

Personally I could care less. I don't wear mine inside because mine are not prescription.

I do like the story about walking into shopping carts and the guy who had to take them off every time he reached for a piece of chicken or a fry. That's funny. Unless you were the guy in the grocery store wearing the glasses walking into carts.

"That's fine, Oryx, wear your sunglasses any time you like. It's not an issue. You never have to apologize or even explain. As to why anyone would start a thread to attack folks like you, ignore them. It's really none of their business."

Correct but not to the point. I don't think anyone in this thread attacked those who have ailments mitigated by dark glasses.

I still disagree with the OP because Thais outside of BKK anyway don't wear sunglasses outdoors or indoors. Again, exceptions -- bouncers, cops, sundry wannabees.

The point is the OP (aka swerving) has no idea why someone is wearing sunglasses indoors, but chooses to criticize them nevertheless. You're right, though, I don't see as many Thais wearing sunglasses as I do farangs, whether it's in Thailand or farangland. And those that wear them indoors, whether Thai or farang, it could be for any number of reasons, including prescription glasses that are tinted. But it's definitely not a Thai thing, if anything, more of a farang thing. At the end of the day, who cares? I also don't buy the OP's contention that people are falling all over themselves when wearing these things indoors. Have never seen it. TV folks tend to make stuff up just to support their point.

• Like 1

People wearing sunglasses indoors and can't see what piece of chicken they are grabbing or what bill from the wallet?

Ahh, "The price one pays for fashion."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/richard-c-senelick-md/photophobia_b_1598668.html

Why Some People Wear Sunglasses Indoors

But some people have medical reasons -- besides sun protection -- to wear their sunglasses both indoors and out: a condition known as photophobia.

Photophobia: It's Too Bright

Some people have medical and psychiatric conditions in which light causes discomfort in the head or eye. Other people avoid bright lights but don't actually experience any pain. Both of these instances are known as photophobia.

A 2009 study examined 111 adults and 36 children who were seen at a university eye clinic and diagnosed with "photophobia." A cause for this complaint could not be found in most of the children, but the majority of the adults did have a medical reason for their sensitivity to light. These reasons included:

Thank you for this jbrain. I have severe migraines and bright lights (including those in supermarkets) can lead to a painful migraine later in the day. I wear good quality sunglasses and therefore I am not stumbling around like a drunken pirate. Yes, I am resigned to wearing sunglasses indoors, but only because I must. If lights are dim enough in the environment I am in, I am happy to remove them.

That's fine, Oryx, wear your sunglasses any time you like. It's not an issue. You never have to apologize or even explain. As to why anyone would start a thread to attack folks like you, ignore them. It's really none of their business.

It seems, as happens so often on here that the original topic gets lost the longer the thread. I did not attack anyone, i asked for opinions and that is what i got. I asked why people wear SUNGLASSES in Tesco's, not presciption glasses.

The point is the OP (aka swerving) has no idea why someone is wearing sunglasses indoors, but chooses to criticize them nevertheless. You're right, though, I don't see as many Thais wearing sunglasses as I do farangs, whether it's in Thailand or farangland. And those that wear them indoors, whether Thai or farang, it could be for any number of reasons, including prescription glasses that are tinted. But it's definitely not a Thai thing, if anything, more of a farang thing. At the end of the day, who cares? I also don't buy the OP's contention that people are falling all over themselves when wearing these things indoors. Have never seen it. TV folks tend to make stuff up just to support their point.

I go to my local Tesco 6-7 days a week for lunch, not many farang there so i do see mostly Thai's. I take the point about presciption glasses etc, but the ones i see are the cheap 100thb dark glasses, or the girls with copy/designer glasses and yes i see people stumbling all the time and the scenarios i talked about were for real...why would i make it up?

I have prescription glasses that are dark so I do not have to change so often. I do not need to carry around extra glasses. It has nothing to do with appearance

I have prescription transition lenses - go dark in the sun - go light indoor, and does so rapidly. Only issue is driving as the windscreen filters out the particular light frequency that triggers the light to dark transition so they stay light but this is not a problem for me, might be for others though.

What I find amusing is seeing the compulsive sunnie wearers when they eventually take them off - it's like looking at racoons or pandas in reverse.

It's all in the humour :)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/richard-c-senelick-md/photophobia_b_1598668.html

Why Some People Wear Sunglasses Indoors

But some people have medical reasons -- besides sun protection -- to wear their sunglasses both indoors and out: a condition known as photophobia.

Photophobia: It's Too Bright

Some people have medical and psychiatric conditions in which light causes discomfort in the head or eye. Other people avoid bright lights but don't actually experience any pain. Both of these instances are known as photophobia.

A 2009 study examined 111 adults and 36 children who were seen at a university eye clinic and diagnosed with "photophobia." A cause for this complaint could not be found in most of the children, but the majority of the adults did have a medical reason for their sensitivity to light. These reasons included:

Thank you for this jbrain. I have severe migraines and bright lights (including those in supermarkets) can lead to a painful migraine later in the day. I wear good quality sunglasses and therefore I am not stumbling around like a drunken pirate. Yes, I am resigned to wearing sunglasses indoors, but only because I must. If lights are dim enough in the environment I am in, I am happy to remove them.

That's fine, Oryx, wear your sunglasses any time you like. It's not an issue. You never have to apologize or even explain. As to why anyone would start a thread to attack folks like you, ignore them. It's really none of their business.

It seems, as happens so often on here that the original topic gets lost the longer the thread. I did not attack anyone, i asked for opinions and that is what i got. I asked why people wear SUNGLASSES in Tesco's, not presciption glasses.

So you can see the difference between prescription sunglasses and regular ones ?

By the way someone who's wearing sunglasses for medical reasons as described in my post above doesn't neccesary wear prescription glasses.

Because he is sensitive to light doesn't mean he has bad eyesight.

Edited by jbrain
  • Like 1

Just the opposite in my town. No local to Rhek Thum will wear sunglasses here, even outside in full sun. They will be accused of trying to look HI-SO, trying to look cooler than everyone else! Very strange.

I still wear mine on the scooter, but I do take them off when going into Tesco. Wouldn't want to be accused of trying to be a HI-SO farang.

What is Hi-SO?

I have prescription transition lenses - go dark in the sun - go light indoor, and does so rapidly. Only issue is driving as the windscreen filters out the particular light frequency that triggers the light to dark transition so they stay light but this is not a problem for me, might be for others though.

What I find amusing is seeing the compulsive sunnie wearers when they eventually take them off - it's like looking at racoons or pandas in reverse.

post-164009-0-97479100-1373636072_thumb.

• Like 1

Can't see much wrong with wearing shades indoors.

Stevie Wonder did it for years and look at how he turned out...........................thumbsup.gif

Stevie wonder is blind, that's why he wears them. Roy Orbison was not blind and he wore them, but going off topic a bit, when it comes to singing, don't even try to compare Stevie Wonder with Roy Orbison. Sorry, I had to get that in.

What, Ray Charles doesn't get a look in.whistling.gif

Just the opposite in my town. No local to Rhek Thum will wear sunglasses here, even outside in full sun. They will be accused of trying to look HI-SO, trying to look cooler than everyone else! Very strange.

I still wear mine on the scooter, but I do take them off when going into Tesco. Wouldn't want to be accused of trying to be a HI-SO farang.

What is Hi-SO?

High Society