Are specials.. Special?

thhMan

My msz points this out every week while shopping. The retailers are relying on the famous Thai customer's cunning in the hope that their scheme won't be foiled, as most Thais don't travel with a calculator.

My msz points this out every week while shopping. The retailers are relying on the famous Thai customer's cunning in the hope that their scheme won't be foiled, as most Thais don't travel with a calculator.

Shouldn't the shopkeeper provide the calculator?

SC

The most basic mobile phones have calculator function built in and Thai's never leave home without there beloved mobile phone and most of them are cunning enough to shop at local markets because it's cheaper then the big name retailers.

I see this at Big C as well, many times the larger size of a given product is more expensive than 2 of the smaller size that actually contain more. Bit of an education for us transplanted westerners who are taught to buy in bulk to take advantage of the savings. Also beware of the buy one get one of shower soap... there're both only half full.

The most basic mobile phones have calculator function built in and Thai's never leave home without there beloved mobile phone and most of them are cunning enough to shop at local markets because it's cheaper then the big name retailers.

Lol - do you ever leave home without your mobile? I would guess no.

Does not work in the west with soap or many other things. The most popular size is often cheaper per gram as they have a higher turnover in supermarkets.

You're right of course. I should have clarified my statement better, I meant to use Costco in the west as my comparison to Thai supermarkets. Considerable savings are gained when buying the larger bulk items at Costco, thats if you can go through 5 gallons of mayonnaise before it goes bad.laugh.png

I've had taxi drivers apply the same logic for journeys from Bkk airport to the centre of town (metered price is THB 250)

Driver (thinking i'm a gullible <deleted> who's just arrived) : "No meter? 500 bhat!"

Me: "No meter? 100 bhat!"

ON goes the meter...smile.png

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2

I've had taxi drivers apply the same logic for journeys from Bkk airport to the centre of town (metered price is THB 250)

Driver (thinking i'm a gullible <deleted> who's just arrived) : "No meter? 500 bhat!"

Me: "No meter? 100 bhat!"

ON goes the meter...smile.png

To figure out if you got a good price or not, I need to know the exchangerate from bhat to baht!whistling.gif

For crying out loud, if you live here please at least know, what the local currency is!!rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

If you want 2L of milk, it is normally cheaper to buy 2 X1L bottles. Go figure. coffee1.gif

Well you are really buying excessive amounts of hormones that also has a bit of milk in the bottle !!! bah.gif

There are no 1L bottles here. Only 0.8L. 5555

• Like 1