Driving North With Southern Plates..

chanchao

Songkran holiday is just around the corner.. Typically a lot of Thais have their main holiday, Northerners going South to the beaches or to avoid the party, Southerners going up North to party where it's funner. Then there's family visits.

Given the current climate and the degree to which Northerners have totally had it with Southerners and vice versa, would you still go North or North East if you have southern plates on your car, or the other way around, go South to the beach in a car with Chiang mai plates?

How does your Thai parner (if any) feel about this?

Cheers,

Chanchao

Have been driving around Bangkok on Chiang Mai plates for several months and certainly haven't noticed any kamikaze style attempts to run me off the road so far, particulary during or since the elections.

Off to Hua Hin for the hols and will have to check with the missus whether we need to add armour plating to the motor!

here in samut prakarn/prapradaeng a southern motorbike driver destroyed the back-window of a taxi because of a TRT sticker.

so I recommend before you go in the deep south, remove your TRT sticker and hide your TRT tatoos....

anyway I guess for farangs not much problems, the Isaan Mrs. might get some stupid questions in the south and might get called "ee lao" what she might don't like to hear.....

I would not risk my lives driving on the present political circumstance.

Songkran is a dangerous time to drive, whether in the North or South.

IMHO I do not sure the plates matter.

Is Hua Hin a part of central or southern thailand?

It is generally considered a part of Central Thailand. The local dialect is certainly not Southern, but fully comprehensible for somebody who speaks Central Thai. Even in Prachuab Khirikhan south of Hua Hin, people speak more like Central Thai than Southern Thai.

I heard of minibus with Chiang Mai plates being attacked in one of the Southern provinces. I'm not sure where exactly but further south than Phuket or Surat.

Many minibus drivers in Chiang Mai don't want to accept jobs that mean they have to drive to deep south.

<snip>

How does your Thai parner (if any) feel about this? </snip>

We both feel that the political worries are probably unfounded, but from past experiences driving during Songkran is best avoided if possible.

If possible get to your destination well before the "fun" starts and sit tight until at least the 17th or so before making the journey back.

Hope this helps

Songkran holiday is just around the corner.. Typically a lot of Thais have their main holiday, Northerners going South to the beaches or to avoid the party, Southerners going up North to party where it's funner. Then there's family visits.

Given the current climate and the degree to which Northerners have totally had it with Southerners and vice versa, would you still go North or North East if you have southern plates on your car, or the other way around, go South to the beach in a car with Chiang mai plates?

How does your Thai parner (if any) feel about this?

Cheers,

Chanchao

Told him your question and he just laughed. Said if you are farang don't worry, nobody cares where your plates are from and if you are a Southern man up north no one is going to mess with you because after all, "we are all black-hearted killers down here" :o