Where is the Honda CBR500R Manufactered?

We know from a reliable source that the Honda CBR500R and all other models in the 500cc range are ASSEMBLED in Thailand. The source is from an interview with the Bangkok post and the CEO of Honda Motorcycle Thailand. The CEO explicit uses the work ASSEMBLED in Thailand, and not manufactured in Thailand. In other interviews with other newspapers and news outlets he not corrects his words and keeps saying ASSEMBLED in Thailand.

So where is the Honda CBR500R and it's siblings are manufactured? It's not Japan, as I asked all sources and none of the Japanese factories has pickup any extra parts manufacturing....

Who gives a shit... it's made in Thailand that's why it's cheap.

Also why not STOP beating about the bush ... and just tell us you think it's China :rolleyes:

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by thaicbr
  • Like 2

Don't they manufacture in that new plant in Lat Krabang?

Currently the manufacturing facility at Lat Krabang, for motorcycles is not fully operational, I have the feeling that they are more concentrating to manufacturing export units as they are a tight 100% BOI facility (bonded manufacturing facility).

I honestly not know where the Honda CBR500R is manufactured? If your think it's China, can you specify why you think that?

Because it seems poorly made.

Do you have one?

No, I decided to wait instead of jumping in on another Thai manufactured First Gen bike.

I have one - surprisingly well made and great value for money.

4,500 trouble free kms. so far

All the reviews from UK, USA etc. are good and those bikes are also assembled in Thailand.

In the end it is a Honda and Honda won't let their hard won reputation be spoiled by poor assembly or sub-standard parts.

This bike is great on the road,(mine is the F version) and I find I take it in preference to my softail as it is much more fun to ride.

• Like 1

In the end it is a Honda and Honda won't let their hard won reputation be spoiled by poor assembly or sub-standard parts.

I don't really think this is the case, to be honest.

Look at the CBR250 and its 'weakness' of parts and problems.

Already the CBR500's had to get their shims changed at 1000km. The single front rotor on a 190kg+ 47hp bike eating up the pads.

Budget Thai made First Gen bikes can't be compared to tried and tested Jap made models, in my experience.

Not saying it's a not good bike, just that from experience and observations the build, quality and durability cannot be automatically trusted.

Edited by Salapoo

I honestly not know where the Honda CBR500R is manufactured?

According to Honda...it's Thailand

The full-fairing CBR500R and the naked CB500F versions are already in Honda dealerships around the world, with the CB500X adventure bike to follow in May. All three, like the CB250R, are entirely manufactured in Honda's factory in Thailand, necessitating adding another assembly line to the plant located just outside Bangkok. This will bring it up to a production capacity of 1.7-million units a year - around 150,000 of which will be new CB500 models. Building them in Thailand helps keep down prices

http://www.hondamotorbikes.co.nz/media-centre/bike-reviews/honda-cbr500r-and-cb500f/

• Like 2

I think the clue about where it is made is simple. After finding a tiny Wonka bar wrapper under the seat at Bug Wing I am thinking it's assembled by Oompa Loompas in the free trade zone.

PS: Or are Oompa Loompas native Thai?

Not suggesting they're made out of chocolate are you whistling.gif

I think the clue about where it is made is simple. After finding a tiny Wonka bar wrapper under the seat at Bug Wing I am thinking it's assembled by Oompa Loompas in the free trade zone.

Somtum and laab

Ive seen native thai's who resemble oompa loompas around lampoon, may want to check there.

Already the CBR500's had to get their shims changed at 1000km. The single front rotor on a 190kg+ 47hp bike eating up the pads.

Budget Thai made First Gen bikes can't be compared to tried and tested Jap made models, in my experience.

Not saying it's a not good bike, just that from experience and observations the build, quality and durability cannot be automatically trusted.

I kinda have to agree a little with salapoo on this, if you take the CBR 250 in comparison...it's kinda a high maintanence bike, it's cheaper initially, but all the consumables seem to wear out at an alarming rate. Brake pads, cam chain tensioner, chain, battery, clutch ...I think this was Hondas plan to regain income lost from a lower price point in relation to the kawasaki counterparts. If you ride slow theyd be consumed slower, but if you are going to ride it hard, the maintenance starts to add up...freaking chain is the shittiest one i have ever had on any bike in 25 years.

...and if you ride it full throttle the mileage drops to 200kph vs 275 kph for a full tank...thats a lot !

Heavens NO! I really love chocolate....and it would make me sad to see chocolate come with a Honda wrapper. biggrin.png

I kinda have to agree a little with salapoo on this, if you take the CBR 250 in comparison...it's kinda a high maintanence bike, it's cheaper initially, but all the consumables seem to wear out at an alarming rate. Brake pads, cam chain tensioner, chain, battery, clutch ...

Mine went through 2 camshaft tensioners, the clutch plate, the front disk rotor, the battery, the stator, the chain and sprockets, the rear brake pump, the front brake pump, the oil seal, 2 spark plugs, within the first around 50k km. Plus all the standard services with brakes pads changed at 12k km and tyres at around the same.

Luckily my dealer is Western and gives a loaner bike when it's being worked on, as I need dependability I'd have to buy another bike just for when the budget Thai made Honda is getting fixed up from the latest part wearing out if that wasn't the case. I can only presume that Big Wing don't offer the same courtesy?

When the 500 came out I was gonna buy one, but head over ruled heart and decided to wait and see, seeing the crap service and problems starting, I don't think I'll be buying one any time soon.

Seeing the lad in Chiang Mai wait how long, over a month for a few parts, nope the service infrastructure isn't there yet either. I just don't think that budget Thai made Hondas sold and serviced in Thailand can compare to Jap made Hondas sold and serviced in Western countries.

Edited by Salapoo

I kinda have to agree a little with salapoo on this, if you take the CBR 250 in comparison...it's kinda a high maintanence bike, it's cheaper initially, but all the consumables seem to wear out at an alarming rate. Brake pads, cam chain tensioner, chain, battery, clutch ...

Mine went through 2 camshaft tensioners, the clutch plate, the front disk rotor, the battery, the stator, the chain and sprockets, the rear brake pump, the front brake pump, the oil seal, 2 spark plugs, within the first around 50k km. Plus all the standard services with brakes pads changed at 12k km and tyres at around the same.

Luckily my dealer is Western and gives a loaner bike when it's being worked on, as I need dependability I'd have to buy another bike just for when the budget Thai made Honda is getting fixed up from the latest part wearing out if that wasn't the case. I can only presume that Big Wing don't offer the same courtesy?

When the 500 came out I was gonna buy one, but head over ruled heart and decided to wait and see, seeing the crap service and problems starting, I don't think I'll be buying one any time soon.

Seeing the lad in Chiang Mai wait how long, over a month for a few parts, nope the service infrastructure isn't there yet either. I just don't think that budget Thai made Hondas sold and serviced in Thailand can compare to Jap made Hondas sold and serviced in Western countries.

I really don think Honda intended for the majority of people to be riding the CBR 250 fast. Almost all the parts that like to wear out 'quickly' are do to high speeds. My cam chain tensioner is getting loud now (@ 29k ), its annoying and sounds like the engine is powered by rubber bands.

at 200 kph per tank at extended speeds of approx 145-160 kph a 650 would be just as feasible.

But i guess for putting around town the 250 is where its at.

Suzuki please bring the SV 650 here !

I honestly not know where the Honda CBR500R is manufactured? If your think it's China, can you specify why you think that?

Because it is not manufactured in Japan.

And indeed assembled in Thailand.

With a huge local content.

Because it is not manufactured in Japan.

And indeed assembled in Thailand.

With a huge local content.

As per every vehicle made in the world (apart from a few shitty Chinese products).

I kinda have to agree a little with salapoo on this, if you take the CBR 250 in comparison...it's kinda a high maintanence bike, it's cheaper initially, but all the consumables seem to wear out at an alarming rate. Brake pads, cam chain tensioner, chain, battery, clutch ...I think this was Hondas plan to regain income lost from a lower price point in relation to the kawasaki counterparts. If you ride slow theyd be consumed slower, but if you are going to ride it hard, the maintenance starts to add up...freaking chain is the shittiest one i have ever had on any bike in 25 years.

...and if you ride it full throttle the mileage drops to 200kph vs 275 kph for a full tank...thats a lot !

My cbr250r is two years old. 17000 kms on the odo. Never let me down. Only consumables used are oil and filters. Engine sounds sweet as a nut. Drive chain still has plenty of life in it but then I look after it. No rattles or buzzes from the bodywork. Simply the best value bike I've ever had.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I look after my chain too - but it requires too much attention. A friends Ninja 250 has a much smoother quieter chain even when it is bone dry.

At 17k, your obviously not riding very fast if you haven't changed the rear pads yet.

Its good for going slow in the city, but push it and issues will pop up.

Edited by KRS1

I look after my chain too - but it requires too much attention. A friends Ninja 250 has a much smoother quieter chain even when it is bone dry.

Actually my Chain and Sprockets are good. I changed them prematurely at around 45k km. DID520 as stock, one part of the bike that is made in Japan. rolleyes.gif

I believe that the 150 has Thai made DID480 chain and sprockets and they last around 12k km.

Edited by Salapoo

At 17k, your obviously not riding very fast if you haven't changed the rear pads yet.

Its good for going slow in the city, but push it and issues will pop up.

Anyone who knows how to ride fast hardly uses the rear brake, slowing down is done almost entirely by the front brake and engine braking. Rear used gently just to steady the bike.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2