Where is the Honda CBR500R Manufactered?

I look after my chain too - but it requires too much attention. A friends Ninja 250 has a much smoother quieter chain even when it is bone dry.

At 17k, your obviously not riding very fast if you haven't changed the rear pads yet.

Its good for going slow in the city, but push it and issues will pop up.

Anyone who knows how to ride fast hardly uses the rear brake, slowing down is done almost entirely by the front brake and engine braking. Rear used gently just to steady the bike.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think you'll find that experienced/knowledgeable riders use the rear brake a lot. Knowing how to ride fast doesn't make you a good rider.

He didn't say good rider he said fast rider.

I used to mechanic for a few racers including at LeMans 24 hours and rear brake wear was minimal.

Braking is virtually all done by the front brake and is definitely the safer way if riding fast.

• Like 1

I look after my chain too - but it requires too much attention. A friends Ninja 250 has a much smoother quieter chain even when it is bone dry.

At 17k, your obviously not riding very fast if you haven't changed the rear pads yet.

Its good for going slow in the city, but push it and issues will pop up.

Anyone who knows how to ride fast hardly uses the rear brake, slowing down is done almost entirely by the front brake and engine braking. Rear used gently just to steady the bike.

I think you'll find that experienced/knowledgeable riders use the rear brake a lot. Knowing how to ride fast doesn't make you a good rider.

KRS1 said you're not a fast rider if you don't change the rear pads frequently. I'd say fast riders will be changing front pads alot more frequently as the rear brake sees minimal/light use.

I look after my chain too - but it requires too much attention. A friends Ninja 250 has a much smoother quieter chain even when it is bone dry. At 17k, your obviously not riding very fast if you haven't changed the rear pads yet. Its good for going slow in the city, but push it and issues will pop up.

Anyone who knows how to ride fast hardly uses the rear brake, slowing down is done almost entirely by the front brake and engine braking. Rear used gently just to steady the bike.Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I would say 90% front and 10% rear. Probably why the rear rotors are so small.

You guys dont do much riding in the mountains obviously, go 90 percent front downhill and one day you will get severely hurt.

30 front 70 rear is optimal downhill.

Too much front and your forks dive, the front tire digs in slowing lean to angles, body weight is thrown forward taking traction away from the rear end and your arms and wrist have more pressure on them resulting in slower steering and reaction response times...plus i like sliding into turns

There are no mountains in BKK or Pattaya, and i dont believe Lemans is held in the mountains either...you guys must be good at going in straight lines.thumbsup.gif ...Sometimes i forget not everyone on here is blessed with living in CNX and the mountain right near by.

Edited by KRS1

70% rear brake downhill is nuts when the rear tyre is even less loaded than on the flat.

Anyone who is seriously quick will use trail braking into the bend particularly downhill as it progressively unloads the already loaded front wheel into the bend.

70% rear brake downhill is nuts when the rear tyre is even less loaded than on the flat.

Anyone who is seriously quick will use trail braking into the bend particularly downhill as it progressively unloads the already loaded front wheel into the bend.

Thats pretty much what i do downhill...light brake pressure in front to keep things in check downhill (30%), while trailing the rear brake (70%) before entering a corner. No brakes in the corners, ever...

You should give it a try.

Should be obvious from the price that the bike is Thai made as a CKD product incurs 30% tax and those new Honda 500s are far too inexpensive.

The "questions" about Thai made bikes quality come up every time there is a new model.... then a few years down the road, surprise, it turns out Honda pulled off yet another great bike, and all the bikes they made are actually still running just fine. People were saying the same thing about the CBR250 ... there was nothing to that, either. They are good bikes, cheap, and bulletproof.

You wont see a bike with all high quality components for this price, its just not possible. Go to BMW for that and pay more accordingly. At the same time these Hondas are quite likely as good as it gets for the price. That there would be some initial quality issues is normal, as it is normal that they will sort them out eventually.

People were saying the same thing about the CBR250 ... there was nothing to that, either. They are good bikes, cheap, and bulletproof.

You wont see a bike with all high quality components for this price, its just not possible.

Seems a bit contraditory.

Anyway, I wonder which parts are bulletproof, it seemingly isn't the camshaft componants, brake pumps, rotors, stator, gear shift lever, oil seals certainly aren't.

Good and cheap, sure, not too convinced about the bulletproof though. I'd have to have a second bike if my dealer wasn't gracious enough to give me a loaner everytime something goes wrong.

While looking for stuff I found a Honda we don't get here.

CITY SPORT 1 (a 125)

CS1_14102010_red.jpg

that's one ugly SOAB

I really believe Honda lost its soul. Now they're just copying other brands (Kawasaki) and come up with wishy washy plastic buckets. So sad.

• Like 1

Trail braking is done almost exclusively with the front brake....you did know that didn't you?

If thats what you read on the internet, but everyone rides differently...and you adapt to the situation, i just observed the way i brake today and it appears i trail brake almost everywhere...but more with the rear, reaction time is faster when your cutting between cars...i apply the fronts a split second after the rear...

Quote from wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trail_braking

"...Traditionally, trail braking is done exclusively with the front brake even though trailing the rear brake will effectively slow the motorcycle, also decreasing the turning radius. If the motorcycle is leaned over, forces from the front brake and the deceleration causes the motorcycle to yaw (lean), while use of the rear brake generates a torque that tends to align (straighten) and stabilize the motorcycle.[2]

The rider's ability to correctly choose his turn in, apex and exit points reduces or eliminates the need for prolonged trailing of the brakes into turns. This technique is commonly used when racing, but can enhance control and add more evasive options for street riders.

Risks

There is risk with trail braking because excessive use of the front brake can result in a loss of grip as the tire's adhesion is split between braking and cornering forces.[1] Effective trail braking requires finesse from the rider, which can be difficult to learn......"

--------------------------------------

and once you grow balls of steel, you can apply it to bikes:

Racing

"....A drift-inducing technique called "the brake drift" is used in racing, involving a series of light rear brake trail-braking pulses (usually 2 or 3), followed by a momentary full-force rear braking and sharp releasing of the rear brakes. Mastering continuous trail braking as used under road conditions is a prerequisite for learning brake drifting. This is one of the most used drifting techniques in rally racing because - if done properly - allows the driver to enter and exit the corner with full throttle.

Depending upon cornering situations, techniques like trail braking can be used to maintain more speed upon entry of a corner, and attaining more grip while turning into the corner, and has an effect on apex selection. In this technique, brake pressure is applied slightly later than usual upon deceleration, and is maintained during steering input, sometimes all the way to the apex. The action of braking causes a weight transfer in the vehicle, shifting more weight from the rear of the car forward to the front tires, increasing the normal force on them and in turn increasing the amount of traction the front (steering) wheels have. Because of the characteristics of weight transfer, this technique causes weight to be shifted away from the rear of the car, resulting in lower rear traction, and can be used to induce oversteer in some cases...."

Edited by KRS1

Should be obvious from the price that the bike is Thai made as a CKD product incurs 30% tax and those new Honda 500s are far too inexpensive.

The "questions" about Thai made bikes quality come up every time there is a new model.... then a few years down the road, surprise, it turns out Honda pulled off yet another great bike, and all the bikes they made are actually still running just fine. People were saying the same thing about the CBR250 ... there was nothing to that, either. They are good bikes, cheap, and bulletproof.

You wont see a bike with all high quality components for this price, its just not possible. Go to BMW for that and pay more accordingly. At the same time these Hondas are quite likely as good as it gets for the price. That there would be some initial quality issues is normal, as it is normal that they will sort them out eventually.

What about the BMWs made in Thailand?

BMW will be making bikes here soon...

I think the clue about where it is made is simple. After finding a tiny Wonka bar wrapper under the seat at Bug Wing I am thinking it's assembled by Oompa Loompas in the free trade zone.

PS: Or are Oompa Loompas native Thai?

Actually, I think they're from somewhere near Isaarn...

No motorcycle rear brake on earth can deliver more than 20% braking force to the motorcycle. 80% of your braking force is on the front brake.

Of course you can use the front brake less and squeeze as much as you can out of the rear, but that isn't always the best option, even in mountainous country.

My name gives it away - I joined Thai Visa while awaiting the delivery of a CBR 250. I did 12000 km before selling it recently - I just bought a CB500X, and 4 bikes is too many for me these days. Anyway, in 12,000 km, half of which was done with g/f, admittedly petite, and luggage on board, never a problem. Ever. Great little bike the 250, just not enough power for long distance touring - or making sure almost every tin can on the road can be easily outrun to give clean air. Maybe some instances of problems for others, but never for me. If I wanted a little around town bike, I would happily go with another CBR250.

• Like 1