Scooter rider looking for a bigger bike

djayz

I currently own a Honda Click, which is great for getting me around town, but I'm now looking for a bigger bike for tours around Thailand (and eventually the neighbouring countries).

I'm interested in a dual-sport bike and quite like the Kawasaki KLR650. I'm new to the motorbike world and don't know much about bikes.

1) What magazines/sites would you recommend a "newbie"?

2) What bikes are similar to the Kawasaki KLR650? The main reason I like this bike is because I like being outdoors and a bike that is good on paved as well as off-road is exactly what I want/need.

3) Do you happen to know if there is a reliable (eventually second-hand) motorbike shop in Korat that sells such bikes? I'm pretty sure I'll buy a new bike, but I just want to look around and compare bikes, service, price, etc. before making a final decision...

I much appreciate any tips you can give a "little bike guy".

If you are a short arse like me make sure you can touch the floor with more than your big toe.... Especially if going straight up to 650cc. My short legs resulted in me going back down to a scooter, unfortunately.

You say that you are new to the motorbike world.... then I suggest you rent a few bikes first as a trial measure. Going from a little scooter to a 650 dual purpose bike IS a big jump. Power difference aside, the frames are completely different as is handling qualities.

I have an older brother whom on leaving the family farm and joining the Airforce, decided he wanted a motorbike. He was used to riding the little Yamaha AG100 about on the farm so thought he could ride anythng.3

He went and brought himself a Suzuki GS1000!!! On his first ride home from the Airforce base (About 600km) he managed to fall off 3 times and drove through 2 wire fences. I think he learnt the hard way...so did the bike.

So yeah, Id suggest trying several rental bikes till you find what you like and get use to riding it.

• Like 1

You say that you are new to the motorbike world.... then I suggest you rent a few bikes first as a trial measure. Going from a little scooter to a 650 dual purpose bike IS a big jump. Power difference aside, the frames are completely different as is handling qualities.

I have an older brother whom on leaving the family farm and joining the Airforce, decided he wanted a motorbike. He was used to riding the little Yamaha AG100 about on the farm so thought he could ride anythng.3

He went and brought himself a Suzuki GS1000!!! On his first ride home from the Airforce base (About 600km) he managed to fall off 3 times and drove through 2 wire fences. I think he learnt the hard way...so did the bike.

So yeah, Id suggest trying several rental bikes till you find what you like and get use to riding it.

That's a good idea... I hadn't actually thought of that...

Any reliable rental shops in Korat or Hua Hin?

Edited by djayz

I went from a scooter to a kwasaki boss and then cbr 250r.. nice difference recently stepped up to a ninja 650. I can tell you one thing, if i had made that step at once i would have saved money but I am not sure I would be able to type this then. The CBR 250 was a nice learner bike.. the ninja is all power. Going from a scooter to that.. not a good idea.

• Like 1

That's a good idea... I hadn't actually thought of that...

Any reliable rental shops in Korat or Hua Hin?

Have a look at the Honda CB500X as well...Honda are meant to be opening one of their Big Wing showrooms in Korat in Sept thumbsup.gif

2012-12-20132942Small_zpse7037285.jpg

I went from a 110cc to 1100cc, took a couple of weeks to get use to the weight difference.

It was fun for about half a year, now i dont really care which one i use,

except if i have to drive on sukumvit, in which case i want power, lots of power

Why not try a Honda Forza?

Very comfortable, 300 cc, good speed, automatic.

Very nice.

New 170,000 baht.

http://motorspices.com/blog/honda-forza-300-price-official-release/

It's a scooter, that's why. Big scooters are comfy, but make the man that ride them look gay!!

I went from my ryuka cruser to my magna. Drive at your skill level and you do fine.

Just like using the quote system makes people look stupid, if their gay paranoid remarks did not already accomplish that job.

• Like 1

Agree with a poster about riding at your skill level. But going from a scooter to a 650 Ninja, there are other issues like manual gearbox and sitting position.

That example with a guy buying a litre bike and falling / going through fences, pretty much sounds like he didn't know how to ride, not that he couldn't handle the power.

I haven't been riding a bike for almost 2 decades, some years back I bought a 450 CC dirtbike in canada, took it easy the 1st year and didn't end up doing anything funny like fences or falling on a flat ground. I still can't get comfortable sitting on a sports bike so I own a cruiser here.

Agree with a poster about riding at your skill level. But going from a scooter to a 650 Ninja, there are other issues like manual gearbox and sitting position.

That example with a guy buying a litre bike and falling / going through fences, pretty much sounds like he didn't know how to ride, not that he couldn't handle the power.

I haven't been riding a bike for almost 2 decades, some years back I bought a 450 CC dirtbike in canada, took it easy the 1st year and didn't end up doing anything funny like fences or falling on a flat ground. I still can't get comfortable sitting on a sports bike so I own a cruiser here.

Maybe not all about riding skill, but if the guy has almost no experience then it is all about being sensible and not everyone is sensible. They love to push the limits of their new bike. I have just recently stepped up from CBR250R to Ninja 650 and even though its broken in (was a 2011 model) I haven't gone faster on this bike then I have on my CBR. Ok i did speed up a lot faster but not top speed. You can drive a ninja also slow and without its fabulous torque.

As for riding position i like the ninja more as the CBR just sit better on it.

But I do agree about not being able to ride if you are hitting fences, then again could be part of the speed though hitting a fence at speed and going on sounds a bit strange.

What's the deal on the big scooters? I am fairly big - especially long legs and most bikes are useless and scooters are only ok if I sit on the pillion seat which means the girlfriend has to sit in front, so she might as well drive...... blink.png

I don't want huge performance, just a street scooter with occasional trips to the beach.

Maybe not all about riding skill, but if the guy has almost no experience then it is all about being sensible and not everyone is sensible. They love to push the limits of their new bike. I have just recently stepped up from CBR250R to Ninja 650 and even though its broken in (was a 2011 model) I haven't gone faster on this bike then I have on my CBR. Ok i did speed up a lot faster but not top speed. You can drive a ninja also slow and without its fabulous torque.

But I do agree about not being able to ride if you are hitting fences, then again could be part of the speed though hitting a fence at speed and going on sounds a bit strange.

Yes, that was exactly my point Rob - not being able to ride. "Big bike will hurt you" is kind of the same argument as "Guns killing people".

Offtopic but what color is your 2011 Ninja, Rob? Is it orange by any chance?

Yes, that was exactly my point Rob - not being able to ride. "Big bike will hurt you" is kind of the same argument as "Guns killing people".

Offtopic but what color is your 2011 Ninja, Rob? Is it orange by any chance?

Your observant... you go through the topics.. and yes I got it from the person you are thinking about.

what is his price range?

Well, the bike I was looking at is quoted at Baht 378,000. That's around about the max I want to pay for a bike. As my gf keeps pointing out, for that money I could buy a used pick up or small car.

Amn't in a hurry to buy, just trying to inform myself first, reading magazines and feed back from some of the more experienced bike riders/owners here.

what is his price range?

Well, the bike I was looking at is quoted at Baht 378,000. That's around about the max I want to pay for a bike. As my gf keeps pointing out, for that money I could buy a used pick up or small car.

Amn't in a hurry to buy, just trying to inform myself first, reading magazines and feed back from some of the more experienced bike riders/owners here.

New to motorbike and in Thailand, from riding a scooter start with a bike like a CBR250, JMO and advice.

Any opinions on KTM? I don't know much about them... what's the quality like? How reliable are they?

From what I know they are very good bikes and look very nice, but at 200K for 200cc why would you buy it over a Ninja 250 at 40k less or a CBR500 at 10k more?

What's the deal on the big scooters? I am fairly big - especially long legs and most bikes are useless and scooters are only ok if I sit on the pillion seat which means the girlfriend has to sit in front, so she might as well drive...... blink.png

I don't want huge performance, just a street scooter with occasional trips to the beach.

You should try out the PCX .Either the older 125cc or the newer 150 cc .Both have the same body work .My wife rents out motorcycles and the PCX seems to satisfy most big Farangs .

You should try out the PCX .Either the older 125cc or the newer 150 cc .Both have the same body work .My wife rents out motorcycles and the PCX seems to satisfy most big Farangs .

Yea - one of the motorbike taxi guys in my soi has one, it's very comfy but the suspension still bottoms out with him and me. He is average older thai guy - maybe 70 Kgs and I am about 110Kgs. Are there upgrades for springs or shockers?