Thai number and mobile internet

Moving to Thailand next week with my girlfriend.

We want to get set up with a Thai mobile number that also has a decent amount of monthly data, as well as decent coverage.

Any suggestions on which provider to go for, and also what data package to get?

I appreciate the help folks.

Thanks.

all carriers offer similar prices

i use ais as they have the best all round coverage as they spend much more in infrastructure etc than the other carriers

on any 3g package ask how much download you get

for example i have 5 gb of download each month once that is up it reverts to unlimited internet on 2 g untill the next month along with free wi fi

dont let any phone carriers fool you into thinking you get unlimited 3 g throughout the month its a falacy

I'm glad you explained this. I also just bought an AIS card and the best package and noticed the speed was fast and dropped off. It's good to know they just did not turn my speed down after they got my money ha ha. Thanks for the post it is very useful information.

Can you get these packages at the 7-11... Or do you need to go to a special store for these? I am also moving to bkk in a couple weeks.

My phone is supposed to be unlocked, but have never tried other sim cards in it. Where could I go in bkk to unlock it if the new sim card doesn't work?

Thanks

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It really helps if you can provide as much detail as possible about:

your phone: exact make and model

your locations: where do you plan to be in Thailand

your residential status: visitor, tourist, staying a long time

pre-paid or post-paid

budget

requirements: voice, data

TrueMove H, DTAC/Happy/Tri-NET and AIS/One-2-Call are the leading providers here.

All offer pre-paid and post-paid solutions.

We are in a transition period to licensed services on 2100 MHz 3G, so the market is a bit of a jumble now.

Most people start off with a pre-paid SIM, you can buy these anywhere/everywhere: at the 20 million phone shops or 100 million convenience stores (like 7/11). Activate the SIM (put it in your phone), add value (also at a 7/11 or anywhere), subscribe to a one-time or recurring 30-day mobile data plan. Mobile data plans are available as time-based, all of which are speed-capped at a maximum of 384 Kbps, or volume-based. Some volume-based plans offer unlimited internet usage, albeit with a fair-use speed cap ranging from 64 Kbps to 384 Kbps, while other volume-based plans are hard-capped, and you will pay by the min/KB once you go over your cap. .

You can experiment with different providers before settling on one, no need to make a final decision before seeing which works best for you. Maybe transition to a post-paid plan assuming you plan to stay for a year.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/573846-what-works-where-2g-3g-coverage-maps-thailand/

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/3g/packages/iplay/entry/604

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/

http://www.ais.co.th/3g-one-2-call/th/default.aspx

Edited by lomatopo

Ok, we went with AIS on a 1050 pre paid plan.

We got it done at the store in bangkok airport.

We got our sims, had the credit installed etc.

The plan gave us 3GB for the month, and 300 baht free.

But, when we used up this free credit, we are no longer able to send or make calls, as it says we have no credit??

Surely this can't be right? The text message we received when our sims are activated state that we had 1000 baht in our account.

Can anyone help me sort this out. Surely we should have our 1000 baht credit?

I honestly can't figure out what you've done as you've provided little to no detail. So what follows are my best guess(es):

You have a phone, you bought a SIM, you added value (1,000 baht), you subscribed to a iSMart plan (999 baht, 1,070 baht with VAT). This plan is pre-paid and provides 3 GB (FuP: 256 Kbps), unlimited WiFi and 500 voice minutes for 30 days.

Now you have used fewer than 500 minutes, but cannot make calls?

Is that about it?

Maybe stop in an AIS/Telewiz full service shop or ring 1175, for assistance.

Ok, we went with AIS on a 1050 pre paid plan.

We got it done at the store in bangkok airport.

We got our sims, had the credit installed etc.

The plan gave us 3GB for the month, and 300 baht free.

But, when we used up this free credit, we are no longer able to send or make calls, as it says we have no credit??

Surely this can't be right? The text message we received when our sims are activated state that we had 1000 baht in our account.

Can anyone help me sort this out. Surely we should have our 1000 baht credit?

If u went on a 1050 plan that means that you have to pay 1050 and for that you get 3gb and 300 minutes, if you only put 1000 baht on that would be swallowed up by the price of the plan so you wouldn't have any credit left, Sony new to out some more on to make more calls

Sees expensive to me that