How Thailand's botched rice scheme blew a big hole in its economy

webfact

The governments are never rational. The governments are political,” suggesting that the rational politician is an oxymoron.

This sentence in the article, especially the last bit pretty much sums you the current Thai goverment and dear Yingluck to a tee...

Good article...summed it up well...loved this bit

It has completed part “A” of the plan, buy rice at a premium. It’s part “B,” selling it at a premium, that’s proving devilishly tricky.

tongue.png

As for the Moody’s report, she has promised to rebut the findings with a government investigation into the true cost of the program.

Well, I think we would all be inclined to believe Yingluck and the boys in the cabinet over Moody's. After all, the cabinet has no worries about popularity, re-election or filling their pockets, whereas Moody's......oh, wait, sorry about that.

As for the Moodys report, she has promised to rebut the findings with a government investigation into the true cost of the program.

Well, I think we would all be inclined to believe Yingluck and the boys in the cabinet over Moody's. After all, the cabinet has no worries about popularity, re-election or filling their pockets, whereas Moody's......oh, wait, sorry about that.

Is it 30 days since Moody's raised the issue.

Yinglucks behind on her homework.

"fool’s paradise"

That says it all on so many levels wai.gif

Blether. Has the rosetinted finally started to slide off?

The rat?w00t.gif The mercedes girl?giggle.gif

Welcome to the highly rated reality show, called living in Thailand!

• Like 1

Botched scheme, I don't think so it permitted the red movement to gain power.

The yellow are considerably weakened for the future, giving stability to Thais.

Win win for all.

So you believe thata policy costing hundreds of billions of baht that have been spent/siphoned off, having no effect in its stated purpose, was intentional theft of taxpayer's funds?

They should sell the rice instead of storing it and trying to manipulate the global prices, which won't happen just because of a single country holding it. Also, food is a much more than a product, a necessity and people is dying in many countries because of no access to basic food like rice.

Anyway, I am with them on subsidizing the rice and helping the farmers, it happens in most developed countries for some crops. Just don't waste money in storing it and distributing it twice. I am happy to give part of my taxes to help the farmers to make a living, but that's it. Actually better than some @#$@ pocketing our taxes for themselves, who don't need it.

Edited by nami

If I remember big brother Mr T did the same with rubber when he was in power and totally screwed up world rubber prices for years.

He obviously learned from the mistakes made there, and is now executing version 2.0 of his scheme on the rice commodity.

It's a sad state of affairs when the government dare not make public the facts relating to the rice scheme and how much money and rice have been lost.

There seems now to be a similar event unfolding in relation to the water scheme.

Hope Mr Moody is watching........a downgrade would perhaps hurt the govt. more than the voting public are likely to do.

"[The rice subsidy] program isn’t bankrupting Thailand. The country’s $346 billion economy can handle the $4.4 billion the government blew on rice purchases last year."

"Look closer, though, at the thrust of Yingluck’s economic policies. Her government has subsidized rice prices, provided handouts to car buyers and favored megaprojects that will enrich the politically connected more than the masses. All this comes at the expense of long-term competitiveness and prosperity: Thailand should instead be investing in its future, especially education, if it wants to break out of the “middle-income trap” that befalls many developing nations."

Thailand Needs to Invest in People, Not Rice: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-07-11/thailand-need-to-invest-in-people-not-rice.html

If I remember big brother Mr T did the same with rubber when he was in power and totally screwed up world rubber prices for years.

He obviously learned from the mistakes made there, and is now executing version 2.0 of his scheme on the rice commodity.

bit like the Thai elite card system...seems we have version 2.0 as well...are we not starting to see a pattern here