Phuket Airport Express bus ready to roll on July 19

webfact

Thailand needs us more than we need them.

For sure, you know that and i do,but you would never get them to admit that...

I think the Embassies know well enough the problems here but because of the saving face rule they have to watch there Ps&Qs and keep smiling some people in the Thai government dont seem to be to concerned about tourism in the scheme of things.

I don't buy into this "face" excuse for everything. Seems it's mostly farangs using it as an excuse about 'things Thai' more than anything else. There's a certain pride and ego (which is what "face" is after all) in everyone, everywhere, that affects their thoughts and actions. It's not a strictly Thai concept by any means, no matter what you might choose to call it.

If some farang gets into a fight at some bar because he felt somehow insulted or disrespected, or argues with the lady at the 7-Eleven over a price or his received change, do we describe it as his effort to save face? Or is that term restricted solely to Thais to describe when they feel insulted or disrespected and attempt to save face?

No doubt different cultures react to things and act things out differently, but it's still basically a pride and ego thing, which exists in everyone everywhere.

You are correct it's not what me or you think about that excuse but when consuls reps have meetings with Thai officials they have to be aware about it not only in Thailand but all of Asia .

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in Hua Hin and love to travel, I ruled out Pattaya 3 years ago having visited many times before, I will never visit Phuket simply because I hate the way the Mafia work, I should add I have my own transport, I am aware they ( the tuk tuk , Taxi , Jet ski dont give a rats ass ) as they have always many new suckers lined up. What we really need is our embassies to be seriously lobbied to warn people all the time on their web sites about these ass holes, Pointless to yak yak any Thai authority as they are all on the take as it is ingraind in the society graft is ok. Love living here just pissed off that a few greedy ass holes are giving this lovely country such a bad rap, The only people can stop this is our embassies, lets face it Thailand needs us more than we need them. Just an obversation from a long time resident loves a lot of the people forgives a lot of the people and hates a few inc BIB,

I think the Embassies know well enough the problems here but because of the saving face rule they have to watch there Ps&Qs and keep smiling some people in the Thai government dont seem to be to concerned about tourism in the scheme of things.

I think the Thai Government doesn't care about tourism on Phuket, after all, it's a "yellow shirt" stronghold.

Tourist numbers are still up for Thailand, buoyed by the Russians, Chinese and Indians, it's just that the traditional western tourist market, the bigger spenders, is not prevalent on Phuket anymore.

Basically, this market has gone elsewhere in Thailand, and/or to neighbouring countries.

Phuket is starting to lose some expats as well.

I don't think they "need" our money here now - there are many rich Thai's on Phuket.

What I think they will realise on Phuket, in the next few years, is tourists don't "need" the BS here either, particularly the traditional western market, and will continue to detour Phuket for other areas of Thailand, or neighbouring countries.

The Thai Governmnet would not care too much if the western market is still coming to Thailand, just not Phuket, but would probably be too proud to admit that the western market are diverting from Thailand to neighbouring countries, and rather than fix what is broken, they will just deny it's happening, even if it's on a grand scale.

I don't buy into this "face" excuse for everything. Seems it's mostly farangs using it as an excuse about 'things Thai' more than anything else. There's a certain pride and ego (which is what "face" is after all) in everyone, everywhere, that affects their thoughts and actions. It's not a strictly Thai concept by any means, no matter what you might choose to call it.

If some farang gets into a fight at some bar because he felt somehow insulted or disrespected, or argues with the lady at the 7-Eleven over a price or his received change, do we describe it as his effort to save face? Or is that term restricted solely to Thais to describe when they feel insulted or disrespected and attempt to save face?

No doubt different cultures react to things and act things out differently, but it's still basically a pride and ego thing, which exists in everyone everywhere.

You are correct it's not what me or you think about that excuse but when consuls reps have meetings with Thai officials they have to be aware about it not only in Thailand but all of Asia .

Quite true jocko, but it's something everyone everywhere is aware of, not just Asia. It may be called different things in different countries, but it's not unusual anywhere.

In the USA for example, they call it politics... whistling.gif

Edited by iSabai
  • Like 1

It wont work. Families wont want to muck around on a bus for 120 baht each its almost the same price. Holiday makers normally travel in groups of 2 or more. And the jetsetting hi-so expats of Phuket that travel weekly out of the airport will continue to drive their Honda Dreams Up there.

l will wager that not even 3 people from this forum use this bus service in the next month.

UPDATE
Officials bow out of Phuket Airport Express bus launch

Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: The long-awaited Phuket airport-to-beach bus hit the road at 9:30am today with little fanfare.

Passengers on the inaugural ride from Phuket International Airport to Patong included media, tourists and relatives of bus operator Prakob Panyawai. No Phuket officials were along for the ride.

Married couple Ben and Kim, first-time visitors from England, had just arrived from Kuala Lumpur and were headed to Kata.

“We just found out about the bus. We were getting in a bus to Phuket Town, then heard we could go directly to Patong,” said Ben.

The couple was surprised to learn that a taxi ride to Patong could have cost them 1,000 baht.

“It’s very good to have this bus; 120 baht is very cheap and the bus is very good,” said Ben.

“Our destination is Kata beach. It’s great that the bus is taking us closer to Kata instead of to Phuket Town,” Ben added.

The bus operator’s mother, Somjit Pantawai, 70, and aunt, Jongkol Panyawai, 73, were also along for the ride to Patong.

“I’m very happy the bus finally launched,” Mrs Jongkol said.

“We have been waiting for four months to see it launch,” Ms Somjit said.

“We wanted to go all the way to Kata-Karon but local people wouldn’t allow us,” she added.

Mr Prakob said, “We planned to have a big celebration at the airport for the first bus, but we changed our minds after talking to officials.”

“The bus is still a sensitive topic, so we are giving it a simple launch, without officials,” he explained.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Officials-bow-out-of-Phuket-Airport-Express-bus-launch-21689.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-07-19

Ben and Kim are in for a surprise when they pay 120 baht for a 50 minute journey, and are then forced to pay 400 baht, or more, with luggage, for a 5km journey from Patong to Kata.

Welcome to The Great Phuket Transport Rip Off. smile.pngsmile.png

Unfortunately, these buses will do little for the transport issue on Phuket and actually may cause the price of the airport limo's, minibuses and taxis to increase.

Edited by NamKangMan

Married couple Ben and Kim, first-time visitors from England, had just arrived from Kuala Lumpur and were headed to Kata.

“We just found out about the bus. We were getting in a bus to Phuket Town, then heard we could go directly to Patong,” said Ben.

The couple was surprised to learn that a taxi ride to Patong could have cost them 1,000 baht.

“It’s very good to have this bus; 120 baht is very cheap and the bus is very good,” said Ben.

“Our destination is Kata beach. It’s great that the bus is taking us closer to Kata instead of to Phuket Town,” Ben added.

And how much did it cost them to get to Kata ? If they wanted to use public transport they should have taken the bus to Phuket Town and then bus to Kata.. Quite honestly the shared minibus to Kata would have been far cheaper and quicker.

• Like 1

And how much did it cost them to get to Kata ? If they wanted to use public transport they should have taken the bus to Phuket Town and then bus to Kata.. Quite honestly the shared minibus to Kata would have been far cheaper and quicker.

Ben and Kim are happy now.

Interview them at the end of their stay and see how happy they are with the transport here. :) :)

• Like 1

The tuk-tuks don't have a problem with the bus service as long as it doesn't go beach to beach.

Tuk-tuks are not in direct competion with the bus as hardly anyone uses a tuk-tuk to the airport and never from the airport.

The real test is if the service ever continues to Karon and Kata from Patong, which was the original plan until the tuk-tuk mafia said that if this happens, they will blockade the road.

This, of course will never happen and the service will be allowed to go quietly bust.

• Like 1

I hope this takes off and runs all those taxi and tuk tuk drivers out of business. In the past I loved going to Phuket but haven't been in over three years because of all the headaches it now has. This could easily solve the first big one when you get off the plane.

• Like 1

I hope this takes off and runs all those taxi and tuk tuk drivers out of business. In the past I loved going to Phuket but haven't been in over three years because of all the headaches it now has. This could easily solve the first big one when you get off the plane.

Don't be holding your breath..i really doubt it will succeed more than short term..

A family of 4 at 120 baht each equals 480 baht. For the sake of 700 baht in a cab direct to your hotel the 220 baht extra (or $7) wont really be an issue for most families on holiday. $7 wont even get you 2 bottles of coke in most Australian airports

A family of 4 at 120 baht each equals 480 baht. For the sake of 700 baht in a cab direct to your hotel the 220 baht extra (or $7) wont really be an issue for most families on holiday. $7 wont even get you 2 bottles of coke in most Australian airports

I happen to agree with you on this. A group of people (3 or 4) will end up paying much the same price as a bus then local taxi to hotel.