Caught with cannabis

Benni81

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey I'm still here and I'm waiting for my trail& after visits at the court house. Not sure what is happening. But I couldn't pay my way out like everyone thinks here on the forum. You guys think its just taking some money and just hand them to the police chief. You think wrong. Not that easy. And for all the haters, don't bother to write cuz it's just bullshit. But thanks to the rest. I probl get deported when all this is finished, I think it's just a miner crime nothing to crazy. See what happens after a months time . I will keep it posted here.

How about a 3 week update?..

OP, I sympathize with your situation. You seem not a bad guy. Even in distress, you seem able to reply to some not-so-good posters with restraints. Keep on dealing with people involved in your case with the good attitude and dress tidily when you meet them.

At your stage, having already gone to the court, there's not much you can do except to wait for the court verdict. I agree with WinnieTheKwai (post 231) that the court verdict would be minimal! In the mean time, don't let anyone rip you off by telling you how they can help you - at this stage, that is! But refuse them in a polite way. Act politely and friendly especially at the police station! Buy them some Oishi or coffee like friends but not bending backward like you are begging! Begging in the wrong way invites exploitations unless you are dirt poor!

As much as I may disagree with certain laws against drugs I try to follow the laws of any country that I'm in. Anyone with half a brain knows that Thailand and Malaysia are harder on drug offenders than in most Western countries. If a person is willing to take the risks then they have to accept the consequences. If you don't like the laws of a country then go somewhere else. Sorry, I just don't have much sympathy for those that get caught. I know that riding a motorbike is very risky in Thailand, but I don't expect any sympathy if I get hurt and I'll have to deal with it when it happens.

I don't wish anything bad to happen to anyone, but I just have to shrug my shoulders when I see people intentionally flaunting the laws of Thailand.

This doesn't seem the usual you!

People make mistakes, especially the younger ones being in a foreign land. Here, the OP is asking for advice after having had committed a minor offense. Do people always follow the laws, especially in Thailand? I'm sure you yourself don't always do that! Why, in this case, you kicked him when he's being down?

Surprise me that people still think marijuana is harmless.

I'd say it's pretty harmless in moderation, and when not combined with things like driving a car or doing work that relies on accuracy.

Same as alcohol really.

It does seem rather addictive (habit forming), similar to alcohol but perhaps less than tobacco.

The effect does seem to last a bit longer than an alcohol binge, and there could be a hint of anxiety afterwards. But in other ways it's less of an impact than drinking alcohol, which can cause headaches, nausea, and writing nasty posts on online forums. wink.png

BTW it's only since last week that I'm able to comment on this, and can take an opinion on if it should be legal or not. Note that 'legal' is not the same as 'completely unrestricted'. Smoking tobacco is restricted in that you can't smoke in many places, and the same should of course applies to smoking other things too. And driving under the influence is already illegal, and rightly so. 'Legal' is also not the same as 'harmless'. Many legal activities and substances are far from harmless, such as foie gras, or riding motorcycles. wink.png

So with these common-sense restrictions in place, I can't really see valid reasons why it should be treated differently from tobacco and alcohol, or legal medications, such as getting Xanax prescribed.

The above of course is just opinion on legal status, it's not an opinion of actually using it in a place where it's illegal. Because that remains ill-advised, even though Thailand is far less draconian on small personal use than some sillier places in the region.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

jeez...for those that can't shut up mouthing their opinions about pros and cons of pot, can you just go and start your own thread !!!

... interested to know if OP is long term resident in with gf etc or just on visit ?.. best of luck anyway ?

I'm sure the OP will come back and tell us what happened if he wants to, as well as the personal details of his life that you want. (However, I wouldn't provide them.)

Why are you so upset about people giving their opinions? The OP's situation was a perfect starting point for this type of discussion and it took a logical path to get where it is. I would even guess that OP is interested in the discussion (and it is really his thread, isn't it?).

I think the real culprit is the person pointing a gun at your head, forcing you to read this thread. And that must be the case because who would keep reading something that they hate reading, unless forced? There's a feature here called PM (Personal Message) that you can use to contact the OP and ask your questions about his personal life if that's all you really want to know.

Edited by Wavefloater

Surprise me that people still think marijuana is harmless.

I'd say it's pretty harmless in moderation, and when not combined with things like driving a car or doing work that relies on accuracy.

Same as alcohol really.

It does seem rather addictive (habit forming), similar to alcohol but perhaps less than tobacco.

The effect does seem to last a bit longer than an alcohol binge, and there could be a hint of anxiety afterwards. But in other ways it's less of an impact than drinking alcohol, which can cause headaches, nausea, and writing nasty posts on online forums. wink.png

BTW it's only since last week that I'm able to comment on this, and can take an opinion on if it should be legal or not. Note that 'legal' is not the same as 'completely unrestricted'. Smoking tobacco is restricted in that you can't smoke in many places, and the same should of course applies to smoking other things too. And driving under the influence is already illegal, and rightly so. 'Legal' is also not the same as 'harmless'. Many legal activities and substances are far from harmless, such as foie gras, or riding motorcycles. wink.png

So with these common-sense restrictions in place, I can't really see valid reasons why it should be treated differently from tobacco and alcohol, or legal medications, such as getting Xanax prescribed.

The above of course is just opinion on legal status, it's not an opinion of actually using it in a place where it's illegal. Because that remains ill-advised, even though Thailand is far less draconian on small personal use than some sillier places in the region.

Winnie said; "

Same as alcohol really.

It does seem rather addictive (habit forming), similar to alcohol but perhaps less than tobacco."

I'm not going to dispute what is said here but only add that tiredness and prescription drugs would be bigger factors than weed in impairing a driver, and I would bet that those two things play into far more car accidents than weed. It bothers me that prescription drugs are not usually discussed when comparisons are made to weed. Big pharma's offerings cause much much more harm than weed.

Just one last thing. Alcohol and and nicotine are physically addictive drugs, whereas I've seen it said by the science community many times that THC is not physically addictive -- only psychologically addictive (which is a much easier addiction to beat).

Edited by Wavefloater

In the end most drugs are "only psychologically" addictive.

Some are physically addictive as well but that passes usually in a couple of days when you quit.

After that it's all in your head and that's where the difficulties start really for most addicts irrespective of their drug of choice.

Some are physically addictive as well but that passes usually in a couple of days when you quit.

After that it's all in your head and that's where the difficulties start really for most addicts irrespective of their drug of choice.

I don't know if I can completely agree with you. I think you're playing down the affects of physical addiction too much.

I know somebody who was addicted to heroin. He took the methadone route, and I promise you that he wasn't physically normal for almost 1 year. Seriously, I saw it and know the guy didn't slip off and start doing heroin again. Now, I understand that heroin is much stronger and nastier than nicotine, but what I describe is true. Have you ever known any chronic alcoholics that tried to quit drinking? They go through the worst of the physical addiction withdrawal symptoms (DT's, vomiting, sweating) in the first few days, but it's quite a while before all the problems and discomfort caused by the physical addiction is truly gone.

I don't know if I can completely agree with you. I think you're playing down the affects of physical addiction too much.

I know somebody who was addicted to heroin. He took the methadone route, and I promise you that he wasn't physically normal for almost 1 year. Seriously, I saw it and know the guy didn't slip off and start doing heroin again. Now, I understand that heroin is much stronger and nastier than nicotine, but what I describe is true. Have you ever known any chronic alcoholics that tried to quit drinking? They go through the worst of the physical addiction withdrawal symptoms (DT's, vomiting, sweating) in the first few days, but it's quite a while before all the problems and discomfort caused by the physical addiction is truly gone.

Fair enough.

It's not a matter of black and white really.

In the end everybody's different and for some people the physical aspects of addiction are hard to beat while for others it's the psychological aspects.

Fair enough.

It's not a matter of black and white really.

In the end everybody's different and for some people the physical aspects of addiction are hard to beat while for others it's the psychological aspects.

Now, that I can completely agree with.

jeez...for those that can't shut up mouthing their opinions about pros and cons of pot, can you just go and start your own thread !!!

... interested to know if OP is long term resident in with gf etc or just on visit ?.. best of luck anyway ?

I'm sure the OP will come back and tell us what happened if he wants to, as well as the personal details of his life that you want. (However, I wouldn't provide them.)

Why are you so upset about people giving their opinions? The OP's situation was a perfect starting point for this type of discussion and it took a logical path to get where it is. I would even guess that OP is interested in the discussion (and it is really his thread, isn't it?).

I think the real culprit is the person pointing a gun at your head, forcing you to read this thread. And that must be the case because who would keep reading something that they hate reading, unless forced? There's a feature here called PM (Personal Message) that you can use to contact the OP and ask your questions about his personal life if that's all you really want to know.

no.. its an interesting topic for any long term residents in Thailand and how you are at the mercy of the Thai justice / emigration system if you stray outside the law, no matter how harmless... say, you had wife, kids, car, house and you are caught with a bag of grass, bit of coke or whatever, for your own recreational use.... being deported and blacklisted would be major xxxxxxxx life changing event.....if you had a couple mil in the bank, this could potentially be confiscated as "drug" income....... discussing if pot is addictive or should be legal is completely different topic... same happened to another similar thread where there was 12 pages of bickering and OP never came back with outcome.

Edited by metisdead
  • Like 1

SINGAPORE: Singapore's Central Narcotics Bureau and Prisons Department are going to get tougher on first- and second-time abusers of cannabis and cocaine.

From 1 August, these abusers will be sent to the Drug Rehabilitation Centres for rehabilitation.

Recalcitrant abusers will face a long-term imprisonment of at least five years and three strokes of the cane and a maximum sentence of seven years' imprisonment and six strokes of the cane if convicted on their third arrest.

Those who relapse upon their release will be sentenced to a minimum of seven years' and a maximum of 13 years' imprisonment, as well as a minimum of six and a maximum of 12 strokes of the cane.

This approach is similar to that for abusers of opiates, buprenorphine and synthetic drugs.

With the extension, the rehabilitation regime will cover all current commonly abused drugs in Singapore.

The treatment regime for cocaine and cannabis abusers will also be the same as that for other drug abusers.

http://www.channelne.../290321/1/.html

Probably will be a little less here.

SINGAPORE: Singapore's Central Narcotics Bureau and Prisons Department are going to get tougher on first- and second-time abusers of cannabis and cocaine.

From 1 August, these abusers will be sent to the Drug Rehabilitation Centres for rehabilitation.

Recalcitrant abusers will face a long-term imprisonment of at least five years and three strokes of the cane and a maximum sentence of seven years' imprisonment and six strokes of the cane if convicted on their third arrest.

Those who relapse upon their release will be sentenced to a minimum of seven years' and a maximum of 13 years' imprisonment, as well as a minimum of six and a maximum of 12 strokes of the cane.

This approach is similar to that for abusers of opiates, buprenorphine and synthetic drugs.

With the extension, the rehabilitation regime will cover all current commonly abused drugs in Singapore.

The treatment regime for cocaine and cannabis abusers will also be the same as that for other drug abusers.

And that's what a police state in full swing looks like..

And that's what a police state in full swing looks like..

What is the problem?

The policy sets out ,clearly , the consequences of what some like to call a life style choice !

Edited by jrtmedic

Now that must be a good motivation to quit.

What happened to the OP ?

Judges angry for justice and equality sentenced him to death ?

:-)

Give the guy a chance. He is worried enough..or should be allready. Remember having to stay here for court also gives him visa trouble. I hope he lets us know and I hope the penalty is not more than he can pay and if he is deported can get out of IDC quickly.

It is easy for people like us who live here to know how serious things like this can be and how the police take canabis use. VIsitors think it is like home.

Edited by harrry

I am sure he will be fine even though all the justice system and law here is organized by retarded still living in the last century or even before...

OP will just have a small fine and won't even be deported because even the monkey who manage the system here have to develop..

I am sure he will be fine even though all the justice system and law here is organized by retarded still living in the last century or even before...

OP will just have a small fine and won't even be deported because even the monkey who manage the system here have to develop..

Fine yes but not so sure about the deportation. Once it gets to court it is extremely likely.

The MOST addictive drug I have ever dealt with by FAR was nicotine....some say more addictive than HERION....thankfully I FINALLY got off of nicotine after way too many years.....as many have said "quitting smoking is easy...I have done it hundreds of times".

On the other hand Pot does not seem to me to be the least bit PHYSICALLY addictive....I have never had POT FITS like nicotine fits or have never found myself absolutely dying for a joint ...absolutely nothing like the nicotine withdrawals....

http://www.nytimes.com/1987/03/29/magazine/nicotine-harder-to-kickthan-heroin.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

Too bad that so many countries still treat pot like it is a horribly addictive drug all the while smoking cigs and sucking down booze as they rant and rave against cannabis.

There is an element to addictiveness to cannabis most definitely. Though I used to enjoy a good smoke, you do feel that craving for one and I've known many a friend who do nothing else, just smoke it and they become bores and lose all their ambitions. I do think you are asking for trouble if you smoke it here though (in some places).

Saying that, I do think it should be legal and would like to have the old puff if I can but haven't for years.