Thai Buddhist Practices - Instruction in English

jamles

I will have a 1 week holiday with my Thai girl friend next week and would like to spend 2 or 3 days of that time getting some instruction on Thai Buddhist practices. My girlfriend is a very devoted Buddhist but unable to explain the intricacies and meanings of various practices to me in English.

I have a good basic understanding of Buddhism, have read several books, practiced Tibetan Buddhism for a couple of years (15 years ago) and attended a few multi-day retreats. But Thai practices are very different. I (somewhat) understand the philosophical differences but consider the core beliefs to be the same. I go to the Wat with my girlfriend occasionally and follow her through the motions but don't really understand the why and wherefore.

I am looking for a place that can provide that understanding. Wat Pah Nananchat seems like a possibility but I can't find a contact phone number for them. Does anyone know of a place my girlfriend and I can go together (sleeping separately if need be) where I can get some instruction and she can tamboon and/or meditate?

Right near Khao Yai there is a meditation center where you can learn the essence of the Buddhist teachings in the Theravdan tradition, in English. but this is not the same thing as Thai Buddhist practices in the sectarian sense. Understand that a lot of what goes on in Thai Buddhist religion is not really derived from Buddhist teachings. Buddha did nto establish a sectarian religion nor encourage any type of devotional practices.

What you have as "Thai Buddhism" in the sense of the organized religion is an amalgamation of some Buddhist teachings, some pre-Buddhist animist and Brahamanistic rituals and then somthing added on because they suited human nature (and some of those actually contradict Buddhiost teachings).

Not knowing what/how your GF pratcices I can't say whether a retreat ion whcih the pure teachings are taught would meet your needs, but it might (and she might benefit too..I have seen countless Thai Buddhist say after taking these courses, that for the first time they really understand what Buddhism is). The courses are given bilingually Tahi/English.

The center I refer to is http://www.kamala.dhamma.org/

It is located about 8 km from the Prachinburi entrance to Khao Yai.

Right near Khao Yai there is a meditation center where you can learn the essence of the Buddhist teachings in the Theravdan tradition, in English. but this is not the same thing as Thai Buddhist practices in the sectarian sense. Understand that a lot of what goes on in Thai Buddhist religion is not really derived from Buddhist teachings. Buddha did nto establish a sectarian religion nor encourage any type of devotional practices.

What you have as "Thai Buddhism" in the sense of the organized religion is an amalgamation of some Buddhist teachings, some pre-Buddhist animist and Brahamanistic rituals and then somthing added on because they suited human nature (and some of those actually contradict Buddhiost teachings).

Not knowing what/how your GF pratcices I can't say whether a retreat ion whcih the pure teachings are taught would meet your needs, but it might (and she might benefit too..I have seen countless Thai Buddhist say after taking these courses, that for the first time they really understand what Buddhism is). The courses are given bilingually Tahi/English.

The center I refer to is http://www.kamala.dhamma.org/

It is located about 8 km from the Prachinburi entrance to Khao Yai.

Thanks, Sheryl. From what I can gather on their website, Dhamma Kamala specializes in 10-day Vipassana retreats based on S. N. Goenka's teaching. I've been considering a retreat like that for some time and think that would be very good for both my girlfriend and myself. They are apparently very popular. I've checked a few times over the past few years and they are consistently booked for months in advance. As you say, their emphasis seems to be on the essence of the teachings (especially Vipassana practice) rather than 'Buddhism', Thai or other.

I think I have a pretty good understanding of the essential teachings. I guess it's those sectarian practices that I would like to understand. As it is now, I'm going through motions at the wat with my girlfriend and I don't really understand what's going on. I like to support her and don't object making a donation to the local wat but I would be a lot more comfortable with it if I actually understood.

If there are any published explanations of these practices I suppose they will be in Thai only. I can possibly make my way through that, but I wouldn't know what publication to ask for. My Thai is not good enough to simply ask any monk for an explanation nor is my girlfriend's English good enough to provide a thorough explanation.

Any suggestions?