1000Mbps from 3BB.

NomadJoe

Yes, as in 1Gbps. Says available in Phuket. This has to be a joke. That or 3BB is taking false advertising to a new level. That's faster than the fastest wifi (300mbps). I think faster than most network adapters? I bet the fastest anyone ever see's from this is 40-60bps locally, 20-30bps internationally. Does anyone have it yet?

1000Mbps.jpg

http://www.3bb.co.th/3bb/product/details/2253

And furthermore, why would anybody need that kind of speed in their homes? More important is to know if there is a data cap or do they traffic shape/throttle. You can burn through 250G in a day with a connection like that.

National bandwidth is cheap and available. International is not.

True also have similar packages and most reports state that national is close to advertised but international rarely tops 10-20 Mbps even on higher spec plans.

Any desktop in the last 2 or 3 years supports gigabit ethernet. But many routers or switches only 100bps still.

The limitation on things like this will be the websites etc. If a server even supports gigabit that will likely be their maximum and only to a single user at a time....wont deliver to 10 or a 100 users simultaneously.

So although the line itself may be able to deliver gigabit you will rarely find a service provider to.

Overpriced gimmick right now although not neceserily a lie.

Technically it is possible to get those kinds of speeds from FTTH (Fibre to the Home) but the machine you are connecting to (and every router in between) has to have similar capabilities to even hope to get close. I was testing some FTTH in singapore last year and we were seeing real speeds of 120-140mbps to real world external internet systems like speedtest.net.

Understand that this is not a lie - when they sell internet service the advertized speed is the PIR (Permitted Information Rate). That means they will let you go that fast. What they never advertize is the CIR (Committed Information Rate) which is the speed they guarantee. For home services the CIR is usually around 0kbps. When you spend the extra on "business" services, what you are really buying is a higher CIR. So the ads only tell you that the core network is capping your speed at 1Gbps.

Caveat Emptor!

• Like 1

These Internet providers should be done for false advertising,

next week True will come out with 2000 MBs!, its very fast on paper

but you will get no where near the advertised speeds promised.

They are just saying whats possible(and in the future) what you

will actually get, is a completely different matter

regards Worgeordie

I have 13 and I am getting this speed. Well worth the money.

Hijacking the thread, but Im on 3BB 10MB/m and is fine (still some buffering etc on videos) but has anyone upgraded from 10mb to 13 or higher. Worth the extra 32837019380.png

Understand that this is not a lie - when they sell internet service the advertized speed is the PIR (Permitted Information Rate). That means they will let you go that fast. What they never advertize is the CIR (Committed Information Rate) which is the speed they guarantee. For home services the CIR is usually around 0kbps.

I find it very interesting what you wrote, but I don`t get the CIR for the home how can it be 0kbps that means to me no connection ?

Hijacking the thread, but Im on 3BB 10MB/m and is fine (still some buffering etc on videos) but has anyone upgraded from 10mb to 13 or higher. Worth the extra 300/month?

I have the 16Mbps service from 3BB and most of the time I actually get 16Mbps down even when hitting US and European sites. I pay a lot more (2800 baht a month) but that is for the business service. Unless you are a bittorrent nut I can't really imagine it is worth the difference however.

Hijacking the thread, but Im on 3BB 10MB/m and is fine (still some buffering etc on videos) but has anyone upgraded from 10mb to 13 or higher. Worth the extra 300/month?

I have the 16Mbps service from 3BB and most of the time I actually get 16Mbps down even when hitting US and European sites. I pay a lot more (2800 baht a month) but that is for the business service. Unless you are a bittorrent nut I can't really imagine it is worth the difference however.

What is the ping rate when you get your 16Mbps when hitting the US and European sites? And what speed test are you using?

MSPain

What is the ping rate when you get your 16Mbps when hitting the US and European sites? And what speed test are you using?

MSPain

I can't check right now as I am in KL building out the internet for Celcom, but my international pings are usually in the low 200's (local pings are < 20). I always use speedtest.net, which uses the Ookla engine.

I was talking to one of our group at the computer club meeting Sunday morning in Phuket. He had very recently had the 3BB 1000 Mbps installed but said actual speed is about 1 Mbps! Said he had been doing better with his previous 3BB 10MBPS service.

Technically it is possible to get those kinds of speeds from FTTH (Fibre to the Home) but the machine you are connecting to (and every router in between) has to have similar capabilities to even hope to get close. I was testing some FTTH in singapore last year and we were seeing real speeds of 120-140mbps to real world external internet systems like speedtest.net.

Understand that this is not a lie - when they sell internet service the advertized speed is the PIR (Permitted Information Rate). That means they will let you go that fast. What they never advertize is the CIR (Committed Information Rate) which is the speed they guarantee. For home services the CIR is usually around 0kbps. When you spend the extra on "business" services, what you are really buying is a higher CIR. So the ads only tell you that the core network is capping your speed at 1Gbps.

Caveat Emptor!

I am not an IT guy, but 0kbps sounds slow to me.

Caveat Emptor!

I am not an IT guy, but 0kbps sounds slow to me.

Yep - but that is what you are guaranteed - nothing.

I also have TOT DSL (5Mbps, home grade) and before they revamped their infrastructure (added a lot of DSLAMs in the POP at 3rd road) that is what I used to get until about 11pm when the internet cafes closed for the evening.

Does the number of users actually downloading at the same time on one specific line (actual wire along a road, for instance) affect a person further down the line speed?

And once an ip address starts a download which is continuous, what effects whether that connected download speed will be somewhat stable?

I am trying to learn more about how it all works. My speeds are fine for me since I am just a home user and I get pretty consistent and acceptable speeds from my 3bb Premiere account

MSPain

The link in the first post doesn't mention any package that provides 1000 Mbps.

The fastest package that 3BB are actually offering is 100 Mbps, for 24,900 Baht a month (or 48,300 for businesses).

What it DOES say is the following:

3BB has provided the latest technology; broadband internet over fiber optic network FTTx (Fiber to the Home) with maximum speed 1000 Mbps.

Or in other words, the fiber technology is capable of providing speeds of up to 1000Mbps. They aren't actually offering

a package at that speed, merely pointing out that having fiber installed may one day allow you to have internet access at those speeds.

Yes, it is misleading, maybe deliberately so. But since it is impossible to order an actual package claiming 1000Mbps, it shouldn't really

cause any problems.

The "special offer" for 1200 Baht/month offers a mere 30Mbps download and 3Mbps upload.

Does the number of users actually downloading at the same time on one specific line (actual wire along a road, for instance) affect a person further down the line speed?

And once an ip address starts a download which is continuous, what effects whether that connected download speed will be somewhat stable?

I am trying to learn more about how it all works. My speeds are fine for me since I am just a home user and I get pretty consistent and acceptable speeds from my 3bb Premiere account

MSPain

It actually has no direct correlation to the copper line, what matters is the End Office equipment it is terminated on. Normally however areas served by one line will be on one DSLAM (digital subscriber line access multiplexer). The hitch is that there could be everyone in your neighborhood using the same DSLAM. about 6 years ago in Pattaya they had oversubscribed so heavily you could hardly open a web page during business hours. Now they have added more DSLAMs and other pertinent equipment like repeaters to compete with 3BB and True so fewer people vie for the same bandwidth.

The long and short is - don't blame your neighbors. DSLAMs can handle up to 10,000 connections each but carry a limited amount of bandwidth to the internet (usually 10Gbps). If you slow down it is probably a few businesses in the 2-3 square km around your house using it all.

MSPain

It actually has no direct correlation to the copper line, what matters is the End Office equipment it is terminated on. Normally however areas served by one line will be on one DSLAM (digital subscriber line access multiplexer). The hitch is that there could be everyone in your neighborhood using the same DSLAM. about 6 years ago in Pattaya they had oversubscribed so heavily you could hardly open a web page during business hours. Now they have added more DSLAMs and other pertinent equipment like repeaters to compete with 3BB and True so fewer people vie for the same bandwidth.

The long and short is - don't blame your neighbors. DSLAMs can handle up to 10,000 connections each but carry a limited amount of bandwidth to the internet (usually 10Gbps). If you slow down it is probably a few businesses in the 2-3 square km around your house using it all.

Thank you for that. I guess my "description" was not correct. However, it does seem that the number of users in one area and how they are using their connection has an affect.. That is what I suspected.

Thanks again,

MSPain

MSPain

Thank you for that. I guess my "description" was not correct. However, it does seem that the number of users in one area and how they are using their connection has an affect.. That is what I suspected.

Thanks again,

MSPain

The speed of the fiber line is 1000Mbits... But the network it's connected to will only be 30 Mbits within Thailand and comparable to ADSL internationally.

That's like saying the top speed of my Ninja is 320kph because that's it's terminal velocity if I threw it out of an airplane.

Perfectly misleading advertising...but hey, this is Thailand...it's OK.