Democrat Party Rebuilds Strength

george

Democrat Party rebuilds strength

BANGKOK: -- The former opposition Democrat Party is rebuilding itself during its absence from parliament and seeing to it that human rights and dignity will be upheld and freedom of the press promoted, according to Democrat Party Secretary General Suthep Thueksuban.

Mr. Suthep's comment was made here Thursday during ceremonies marking the 60th anniversary of the foundation of the kingdom's oldest political party.

The Democrat Party is bound to strengthen itself at a time when it has no MPs slated to serve in parliament, following its boycott of the April 2 general election.

The Democrats would invariably strive to preserve democratic rule and fight against all kinds of dictatorial rule, said the party's secretary general.

Furthermore, the people will be encouraged to take part in making decisions involving national interests, while basic human rights and dignity respect will be maintained.

The Democrats will support His Majesty the King's sufficiency economy principle for all parts of society, including villages and local administrative areas nationwide.

The secretary general of the Democrat Party compared caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra to the chairman of a private firm who still assumes responsibility for his organisation, the Thai Rak Thai (TRT) Party, even though he has decided not to resume the premiership after the snap election and to have someone else to serve as head of the government.

Mr. Suthep doubted the House of Representatives could open within 30-days as required by the constitution and commented that Mr. Thaksin had stepped back only to minimize external pressure.

The Election Commission of Thailand (EC) has scheduled by-elections in 39 individual constituencies on April 23, following an event in which TRT candidates running unopposed in the April 2 election had failed to win a required minimum of 20 per cent of total eligible voters.

--TNA 2006-04-06

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Democrat Party rebuilds strength

BANGKOK: -- The former opposition Democrat Party is rebuilding itself during its absence from parliament and seeing to it that human rights and dignity will be upheld and freedom of the press promoted, according to Democrat Party Secretary General Suthep Thueksuban.

Mr. Suthep's comment was made here Thursday during ceremonies marking the 60th anniversary of the foundation of the kingdom's oldest political party.

The Democrat Party is bound to strengthen itself at a time when it has no MPs slated to serve in parliament, following its boycott of the April 2 general election.

<clip>

--TNA 2006-04-06

Rebuilding? Strengthening?? Realistically, I don't know if a political party can really do that if they are out of office. I would think this would be a dangerous time for the party. Practically speaking, they are out of work. If after the by elections/new elections they can manage to come through with a healthy minority - even if it is only the 20% to 25% (?) they had before, nationwide, they might survive. There are other minority parties. This is an excellent opportunity for them to make some gains. If I were a democrat, I would be sweating and praying that I would have the opportunity to participate in an election - ASAP.```

Edited by Bryan in Isaan

The Dems could end up very weak. Thaksin's "resignation" takes some of the steam out of the PAD. They will continue protesting, but I predict with less support. I don't know anything about the interim PM, but if he appears to be a "nice guy", moderate and conciliatory, TRT could gain support. The PAD put most of their eggs in one basket, demanding that Thaksin resign. He did - now what? The PAD might not be as successful in rallying the Thai people against "Thaksinomics". I mention the PAD because to many people, they appear to be allies or spokesmen of the Democrats. As was said in another thread, the Democrats have been awfully quiet lately. They have not done very well distinguishing themselves from the PAD.

Then there is the "problem" of the north and northeast. I don't think the dems/PAD have made very many friends there recently, other than a few doctors and educators. There are TRT policies such as the 30 baht healthcare program which if underfunded are problematic. There were also some TRT policies having to do with education which drew some protests throughout the country.

Then there are the other minority parties. This would be an excellent time for them to make some gains among the "not-TRT" voters.

Edited by Bryan in Isaan

A little too late, should have thought about this before, I wager they would have kept all their seats and maybe picked up a couple more. Very stupid.

On the contrary, a very wise move, Thaksin called a snap election using his popularity as the stake. 'If you want me to stay vote for me , if not don't'.

If the Opposition had participated they may have picked up a couple of extra seats but they would still have lost, Thaksin would have come back saying, 'thank you everyone , business as usual,TRT 350 seats, Opposition 150, see you all in 4 years.

But by boycotting, forcing the issue of Thaksin's acceptability, it is plain 11 million, who didn't receive a single baht for their vote, said ,'NO'!

The Democrats will be back, they're not all a collection of businessmen disguised as politicians like TRT.

But by boycotting, forcing the issue of Thaksin's acceptability, it is plain 11 million, who didn't receive a single baht for their vote, said ,'NO'!

That is just an embellishment. The numbers are still 16 million to 11 million - TRT over non-TRT parties, just a small decrease in the TRT majority, as was predicted.

The Democrats will be back, they're not all a collection of businessmen disguised as politicians like TRT.

The TRTs are businessmen, the Dems are businessmen, the ChartThai are businessmen, etc..., regardless of their disguises. Who cares? If the Dems were not businessmen, would that help get them back?

Edited by Bryan in Isaan

The Dems could end up very weak. Thaksin's "resignation" takes some of the steam out of the PAD. They will continue protesting, but I predict with less support. I don't know anything about the interim PM, but if he appears to be a "nice guy", moderate and conciliatory, TRT could gain support.

The new PM is Pol Gen Chidchai, he is the former justice minister and the architect of the war on drugs. Ruthless probably fits him better than "nice guy". I believe he was Thaksin's classmate during his studies in criminology in the United States and a life long friend of Thaksin, one would assume he is very loyal to Thaksin.

That is just an embellishment. The numbers are still 16 million to 11 million - TRT over non-TRT parties, just a small decrease in the TRT majority, as was predicted.

The TRTs are businessmen, the Dems are businessmen, the ChartThai are businessmen, etc..., regardless of their disguises. Who cares? If the Dems were not businessmen, would that help get them back?

Not true, Chuan Leekpai, although trained as a lawyer, has been a professional politician nearly all his working life, Aphisit the current leader, important deputies such as Jurin Laksanawisit and Ongart are also full time politicians.

The Democrats celebrated their 60 year anniversary today, they've been slow to respond to change over the last few years but they're an institution with ethical rules for advancement,(though some may say Suthep is the exception to that rule!) Bryan,do you know the background of the TRT MPs?

A motley collection of bought MPs from- New Aspiration party, Chart Pattana and Social Action party.

The only thing holding them together is Thaksin's money, unlike the Democrats who have to contribute 10% of their salary to the party.

10 million people who carried out their mandatory duty as a Thai citizen to vote were unable to vote for the party they are loyal to so they had to select the NO box.

With 4 parties in the race that means 16 million votes for TRT and 10 million votes to spread out among the other 3 parties... the result of the next multi party election may shift by a few million votes into either direction, but you have to be pretty bad at math to conclude that TRT will not remain the majority party for quite some time to come.

Voters loyal to Thaksin are not likely to suddenly look favorite upon the Democrats with a different PM at the TRT helm, quite the contrary.

Not true, Chuan Leekpai, although trained as a lawyer, has been a professional politician nearly all his working life, Aphisit the current leader, important deputies such as Jurin Laksanawisit and Ongart are also full time politicians.

What about their brothers and sisters, nephews and nieces? :o

10 million people who carried out their mandatory duty as a Thai citizen to vote were unable to vote for the party they are loyal to so they had to select the NO box.

With 4 parties in the race that means 16 million votes for TRT and 10 million votes to spread out among the other 3 parties... the result of the next multi party election may shift by a few million votes into either direction, but you have to be pretty bad at math to conclude that TRT will not remain the majority party for quite some time to come.

Voters loyal to Thaksin are not likely to suddenly look favorite upon the Democrats with a different PM at the TRT helm, quite the contrary.

Spot on! :o

After political reform things could be very different. Indeed will TRT even stay together? The Democrats will still control their Southern bastion and parts of Bangkok at the next election. Beyond that it is hard to say who will win what because it will depend heavily on what happens to TRT. Not many years ago the New Aspiration party under Chavalit totally dominated the Isaan. Then they joined TRT and that faction continued to control the Isaan. If they seperated (Not saying they will) from TRT hat would happen in the Isaan? So I am more interested in watching internal developments in TRT.

We can all argue whether the Democrats should have boycotted the last general election or not, but it is past tense.

Don't confuse the PAD with being one in the same as the opposition parties (and don't confuse the opposition parties as being one in the same either). The opposition parties were thrown together with the PAD due to a common goal, and that is where the similarities end.

Additionally, what does it matter whether someone is in business or not? What matters is whether they are honest and will work for the good of the Country. For the most part, the Democrats have aspired to this and I cannot see, under Khun Abhisit's leadership, where this will change.

TRT will most probably fall apart before next elections and Democrats can easily become the biggest party in Parliament.

I wish I paid more attention to TRT's internal politics, but I think for any TRT faction getting 125 MPs on it's own is nearly impossible.

Don't confuse the PAD with being one in the same as the opposition parties (and don't confuse the opposition parties as being one in the same either). The opposition parties were thrown together with the PAD due to a common goal, and that is where the similarities end.

Do you know what it sounds like in a room full of Thaksin supporters when Abhisit shows his face on TV? You'll learn lot's of interesting new phrases :o

Additionally, what does it matter whether someone is in business or not? What matters is whether they are honest and will work for the good of the Country. For the most part, the Democrats have aspired to this and I cannot see, under Khun Abhisit's leadership, where this will change.

Because the Thai elite families that control most of Thailand's businesses like having some family members in parliament to make sure their business interests are taken into consideration when new policies are decided upon. It requires a little more to make it into politics than a master degree in political science and a good heart.

Edited by Orion76

Do you know what it sounds like in a room full of Thaksin supporters when Abhisit shows his face on TV? You'll learn lot's of interesting new phrases :o

Because the Thai elite families that control most of Thailand's businesses like having some family members in parliament to make sure their business interests are taken into consideration when new policies are decided upon. It requires a little more to make it into politics than a master degree in political science and a good heart.

I guess I can't disagree with your comment on business people as the former MP's that I know from the Democrats are all business people. Actually, I guess this is what I originally liked about Dr. Thaksin, but I missed the boat on that one.

Bryan,do you know the background of the TRT MPs?

A motley collection of bought MPs from- New Aspiration party, Chart Pattana and Social Action party.

The only thing holding them together is Thaksin's money, unlike the Democrats who have to contribute 10% of their salary to the party.

I don't know much about Thai political parties' financial support structure, but back in the States, a lot of money comes from political contributions from lobbyists, special interest groups and those who just believe in the party or their platform. A party in power for two terms gathers a lot of such support - we call that a "war chest" back home. If that holds true here, TRT could have such a war chest now, with or without Thaksin.

TRT will most probably fall apart before next elections and Democrats can easily become the biggest party in Parliament.

I wish I paid more attention to TRT's internal politics, but I think for any TRT faction getting 125 MPs on it's own is nearly impossible.

I keep hearing about these TRT "factions". Is there some evidence that TRT is falling apart?

Not yet. Let's see who they chose as the next PM but most importantly -who gets to be in the new cabinet.

Thaksin managed this process all on his own without consulting with anybody. He took Cabinet posts from some and gave them to others fully aware that he can keep any dissent under control. Not anymore.

TRT is simply too big for the government - there aren't enough opportunities/posts for everyone. They understand that, and they understand that their strength lies in unity and that some have to make sacrifices for the sake of the whole party. How long will it last? Most TRT's MPs didn't join to make sacrifices.

A little too late, should have thought about this before, I wager they would have kept all their seats and maybe picked up a couple more. Very stupid.

If the Opposition had participated they may have picked up a couple of extra seats but they would still have lost, Thaksin would have come back saying, 'thank you everyone , business as usual,TRT 350 seats, Opposition 150, see you all in 4 years.

Got to agree with Brit on this, the Democrats missed their golden opportunity and by allying with PAD they will also feel the backlash from it in the future. They may well have spelled their political downfall with that alliance.

Siripon how is going from 100 plus seats to zero seats a step forward for the Democrats? No matter how you spin it, going from sitting in parliament as the opposition to sitting in the gallery as an observer is NOT a win-win situation.

11 million no - 16 million TRT, looks like TRT up by 5 million votes to me and everyone else that can subtract.

since my predictions .... unlike Britmav's or Luk's have actually happened ....

Here's what I see.

Power struggle in TRT ... more and more defections that began recently.

The next elections will be announced more than 90 days out allowing MP's to change parties. This will further weaken TRT.

If Thaksin actually stays on as a TRT MP this will make it even worse as the people that have brought his scandals into the light of day will not let this slip away.

The factions inside of TRT will not be as easy to manipulate.

Sooo... with some work on the Constitution and the further implosion of TRT ... we will see the next round of elections in 4-6 months after parlaiment is opened again.

People having real options will split the country very close to 50% with some group of TRT holding pretty tightly to their political machine in Isaan. A different group (maybe closely allied) in the North ... The Demos holding 75% of BKK all of the South and 50% of Central/SE.

maybe 1 group will get a clean 50% ... maybe not ... but no-one will get a group that is so strong that the PM/Govt cannot be censured again for a long time <if ever> ..... a huge gain for Democracy in Thailand

Bryan .... this is Thailand not the USA ... there were a few defections from one of the TRT factions right about the time the snap elections were called. There will be more .. but not until it is clear that new elections are being called with time for a change in parties.

Gonna be exciting in Thai politics for at least a year to come!

"First you have to prove yourself," Abhisit Vejjajiva

post-27080-1144371258_thumb.jpg

Abhisit Vejjajiva (born 3 August 1964), Thai politician, has been leader of the opposition Democrat Party since February 2005. He is a central figure in the current crisis in Thai politics, leading a boycott of the 2 April election called by Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.post-27080-1144373405.gif

post-27080-1144376008_thumb.jpg

Abhisit was born to Thai parents in Newcastle-upon-Tyne in the United Kingdom. After graduating from Eton College, he enrolled at Oxford University, where he graduated with a Bachelor's degree (first class honours) in Philosophy, Politics and Economics and a Master's degree in economics. He also received his Bachelor's degree in law from Ramkamhaeng University, Thailand.

post-27080-1144371386_thumb.jpg

After graduation, he taught economics at Thammasat University and Chulachomklao Royal Military Academy. He is married to dentist Pimpen Sakuntabhai. They have two children.While Abhisit may seem young for a minister, he set out on his career path at the age of nine.

When in 1973, a popular uprising transformed Thai politics overnight, Abhisit sat up late listening to the news. "Suddenly to me politics was no longer the business of the few. It was everybody's business," he says. "It opened up a new world and I thought I would like to be part of that."

post-27080-1144376145_thumb.jpg

As a 16-year-old schoolboy in Britain, Abhisit balanced football ("I like to think I was good!") with more worldly issues. He fondly remembers the visit of a young Democrat MP who posed for a photograph with him - Chuan Leekpai. post-27080-1144373530.gif

Abhisit started his career in politics in 1992 as a Democrat MP for Bangkok. He was reelected to the same seat in 1995 and 1996. post-27080-1144374543.gif

"In a democracy it is up to the people," he says. " We are seeing a wave of younger politicians being given a prominent role precisely because the parties need to respond to the public call for a changing of the guard."

post-27080-1144371474_thumb.jpg

In the elections of 2001 and 2005, he was returned to parliament as a Party List MP for the Democrat Party. post-27080-1144372311.gif

During his political career, he has served as Democrat Party spokesman, Government spokesman, Deputy-Secretary to the Prime Minister for Political Affairs, Chairman of the House Education Affairs Committee and Minister to the Prime Minister's Office.

---------------------------------------------------------

post-27080-1144373879.gif

SEMINAR ON "CHALLENGES TO THE TEACHING PROFESSION IN THE NEW MILLENNIUM"

The Faculty of Education has all along encouraged students to take advantage of various types of inter-actions in the academic world, gain experience in organizing seminars as well as participating in working groups.

This is in pursuance of the faculty's objective of providing opportunity for practical observation and experimentation for students.

A professional seminar, therefore, was held on March 3,2001 at the Hall of Fame, Hua Mark Campus. The students of Graduate Diploma in Teacher Education Program, Class I, who belong to the teaching profession were the organizers.

In this seminar, the Deputy Leader of the Democrat Party and Member of Parliament, H.E. Abhisit Vejjajiva, was the first keynote speaker on the topic of "NEW PARADIGMS in Education and Politics". He was followed by Mr. James Souza, Director of Admissions, The International School of Bangkok, who spoke on "Tapping Student Behavior Trends to Enhance Learning, "and then by Mr. John Bernhart, Technology Coordinator, Ruamrudee International School, who dealt with "Direction of Educational Technology and its Effects on Student Learning" respectively.

Mr. Abhisit specifically mentioned some challenging points in the new paradigm: Reforming the Learning and Teaching Process, Quality Assurance, and Allocation of Resources and Technology, and changing the school administrator's policies and procedures.

With regard to reforming the learning process, teachers have to change and recognize and use the new modem, the paradigm for the teaching and learning process. He also stated that the educational system needed changes to benefit both rural and urban people.

In the new educational system, the administrators should be open-minded and ready to accept changes pertaining to the decentralization of administration.

For quality assurance program, it was mentioned that all schools needed to be evaluated independently from outside, the results of which will encourage the schools to improve their teaching methodologies.

Regarding the process of allocation of resources, it was explained that this will continue to be a problem due to our ongoing economic crisis.

However, high priority should be given to find ways to allocate currently available resources to everyone, especially to schools and students in the rural areas. The impact of technology was emphasized as very important in this century.

http://www.journal.au.edu/abac_today/2001/..._challenge.html

post-27080-1144371761_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1144377038.gifpost-27080-1144377133.gifpost-27080-1144377038.gif

post-27080-1144371840.gif

"Thailand, ASEAN and the World Economy" with Abhisit Vejjajiva, Leader of Democrat Party Thailand

Abhisit gave a comprehensive view of what ASEAN has been through the last decade. In the mid 1990s, World Bank used the term "Asia Miracle" to describe the boom in Asian economies. Excited Asian countries were sold to the benefits of globalisation, expanded their IT sector, engaged in efficient cost reducing productions and services, and lapped up the promises of globalization - that it would bring peace, prosperity and opportunities.

It seemed for a period that the region is poised for great success especially when many economies were rapidly opening up. Despite the success of the previous two to three decades, the focus on the status of government in the financial and private sector, particularly the unhealthy relationship between the business community and politicians in Thailandcontributed to a lack of transparency which had a role to play in the financial crisis.

The crisis started on the 2nd of July in Thailanddue to massive speculative attacks on the Thai baht. This not only affected the currencies, but also the stock markets, asset prices, and the real economies of several Asian countries, particularly Indonesiaand South Korea.. The crisis and contagion clearly demonstrated the vulnerability within the region and the lack of ability to face the volatility of the world economy.

In Thailand, the crisis was seen as a wake up call to shake up some inherent problems within the government, to rethink about joint business and political environment and to "put the house in order". The Democrat implemented the IMF package which was hugely unpopular with the people. The crisis provided the opportunity for Thailandto begin a series of political and economic reform, including constitutional reforms resulting in a new constitution which is one of the most progressive in the world.

Though  Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra also started out with great plans for reform in the economy and education amongst many others, fatigue set in at the turn of the millennium and fundamental reform was stalled.

On the world economy, while US remain the super power, two new economic super powers are emerging - Chinaand India.  The world economy in general has been boosted by US and China's strong engine of growth. However, many of the problems affecting global economy have not been overcome and there are new challenges today. . These include terrorism, with fresh attacks on a regular basis, the oil crisis which may lead to a global stagflation and in Southeast Asia, environmental concerns especially the haze needs to be urgently solved.  

Within Thailand, the trade and current account deficit has worsened recently

Despite the many threats and problems, the past decade has revealed that within these global challenges also come opportunities, thus, the key challenge for us is - how to prepare ourselves in order to turn these challenges into opportunities.

Turning to Thai domestic politics, Abhisit observed the general sentiment amongst the Thai for a strong government, thus, the overwhelming approval for Thaksin during the recent election. The TRT party took the majority of seats both for the House of Representatives and the Senate resulting in total control by Thaksin. However, despite having an unprecedented majority in parliament, the recent poll revealed that Thaksin's populist policies were going downhill and approval rating for him was sliding to an all time low.

There are basically three reasons for the change in mood. Firstly, the continuing violence in Southern Thailandhad created a gap between the government and the southern local province and communities. This had been reflected by the lost of seats for TRT party in Southern Thailand.  Secondly, the rising global oil prices has worsened the trade deficit due to a fuel subsidy introduced in 2004 to cushion the effects of rising oil on the local consumers then.. The subsidy is becoming unsustainable.  Lastly, the slowing economy is putting pressure on Thaksin?s consumption-driven policies and the public foresee the possibility of the government not being able to hand out the promises and thus, a slip in confidence.

In concluding his lecture, Abhisit again pointed out to the importance of ASEAN for the people of Southeast Asia. It is important to create an economic unit big enough to compete globally. On the security front, ASEAN Regional Forum (ARF) should raise its profile to be meaningful and relevant to resolve important issues. He stated three keys to strengthening ASEAN. First, it is important to set out clear goals and directions; secondly, it is essential to have strong leadership which the governments of ASEAN should provide; lastly, people-to-people contact and interactions within ASEAN and better awareness of ASEAN among the citizens. Citing the example of EU, people of Southeast Asiashould have a sense of belonging to this regional grouping.

http://www.siiaonline.org/thailand_asean_a...e_world_economy

post-27080-1144371580_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1144377038.gifpost-27080-1144377133.gifpost-27080-1144377038.gif

post-27080-1144375090_thumb.jpg

THAILAND: Don't gag press, people, says Abhisit

Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva urges Thai Prime Minister to refrain from media censorship

By Mongkol Bangprapa

Opposition Leader Abhisit Vejjajiva has warned the government not to undermine the freedom of the press and freedom of expression, and promised action if the government's reaction to the mass media proves to be unconstitutional.

Mr Abhisit sent a message to the government after meeting media tycoon Sondhi Limthongkul at Ban Phra Arthit building on Phra Arthit road, the head office of the Manager Media Group, for over an hour yesterday.

Mr Sondhi is the host of the Muang Thai Rai Sapda (Thailand Weekly) talk show and founder of the Manager daily newspaper. He is facing defamation lawsuits from Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra for his severe criticism of Mr Thaksin during his talk show.

Mr Abhisit said several government actions, especially attempts to block ordinary channels of information and expression, were affecting the freedom of the press.

He cited an order from the Public Relations Department to ban the broadcasting of the Muang Thai Rai Sapda talk show on the ASTV-News11 cable channel, which is under its jurisdiction.

The order seemed to have resulted from an intention to close any programme that had different opinions from the government, Mr Abhisit said.

He vowed to take action if any law was abused to aid and abet any action that was unconstitutional.

The Democrat leader denied that his meeting with Mr Sondhi yesterday meant he was joining forces with the media tycoon against the government.

He said the opposition was just trying to maintain the freedom of people and the mass media in expressing their opinions and checking the government.

"As I have said, I may disagree with several points made by Mr Sondhi. But the difference is that a democrat must protect the people's right to speak, regardless of whether he agrees or disagrees with the messages. A dictator does not think that way," Mr Abhisit said.

"I have repeatedly warned the government that present tension results from the government's attempts to block people's expression. There has been no other elected government that applies all means to block the media [such as this]."

He urged both Mr Sondhi and the government to adhere to the law and peaceful means in their disputes and to avoid creating conditions for violence.

"Those who hold power must always be aware that they are duty-bound to maintain peace in society," he said.

post-27080-1144371918.gif

Edited by asd

Democrat Party's 60th anniversary yesterday

The Democrat Party announced that it will move forward in its quest to develop Thailand's democracy into a participative system in honor of the party's 60th anniversary yesterday.

Mr. Suthep Theagsuban (สุเทพ เทือกสุบรรณ), the Secetary of the Democrat Party, stated on the occasion of the party's 60th anniversary, that his party is willing and ready to serve as a democratic institution for the people. Mr. Suthep said that the party will push for democracy to be instilled into every sector, public and private, including the media. The party will develop its policies which will enable the public to have greater participation in the democratic process. The secretary believes that this will surely happen in the near future.

Mr. Chuan Leekpai, the Chairman of the Democrat Party Advisory Board, stated that a complete democracy must include public participation, and believes that the standard of living of the people in the nation is above petty economic gains.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 07 April 2006

Who can help us and post detailed info on TRT's factions? Siripon, maybe Colpyat?

Sudarat used to control Bangkok MPs, but now she's nearly out and TRT will struggle to retain it's numbers in the capital.

No party can form a stable government without winning over Bangkokians.

What will happen to TRT's party list? Those are the people who actually made TRT into what it is. Without them there will be no organisation, no policies, nothing.

What will they do? They have little respect for upcountry opportunists who jumped on TRT's bandwagon for a piece of the action. Will they stick around? Will they form a new party to appeal to middle class and elite? They are certainly capable. Assosiation with the likes of Suriya does not do them any good.

I'll say it again - once TRT is broken apart, Democrats will be the biggest party in Parliament.

Are you testing God's ability to overturn all your predictions?

Now it is such a bizarrely improbably coincidence that anything so mindbogglingly useful [the Babel fish] could have evolved by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as a final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God.

The argument goes something like this: “I refuse to prove that I exist,” says God, “for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.”

“But,” says Man, “the Babel fish is a dead giveaway isn’t it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don’t. QED.”

“Oh dear,” says God, “I hadn’t thought of that,” and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.