Who's confused? Me, or immigration?

KarenBravo

I had to leave Thailand and go to a Thai embassy to get a 60 day tourist visa in order to start the process with a proper VISA. As luck would have it I had a short trip planned just before my 30 day VISA EXEMPT STAMP expired.

In stead of applying for a tourist visa you could of course also have applied for a retirement visa.

Why not practice as you so often preach to others on here and read the post properly..the reason for J99 's actions is all there.

Yes, he mentions the reason, and yes, I had read that post. But no, his information is not correct. He could have applied for a retirement in stead of 'the first step is a tourist visa'. That's why I said what I said.

Wrong [again ]you can not apply for retirement visa with only as he had,..''a visa exemption stamp''..He didn't have a visa!! facepalm.gif

Edited by andreandre

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Karen Bravo - In answer to your original post (and I did read the entire discussion) the Immigration helpers are 100% wrong.

This exact scenario just happened to me a couple of months ago. I was leaving Thailand with an almost expired retirement visa and short on time at the airport so I did not stop off at re-entry permit desk in the airport immigration hall for fear that I would miss my flight. I thought that I could simply re-apply for a new retirement visa when I returned to Thailand the following week. What a mistake that was!!!

I found out the "hard way" that an entry stamp is not a visa. I was told by the official Immigration staff at Chaeng Wattana that they could not convert my entry stamp into a 90 day non-immigrant O (the first step toward the year long extension) because I HAD NO VISA TO CONVERT.

So, as it turns out, making a wasted trip to Chaeng Wattana was the least of it. I had to leave Thailand and go to a Thai embassy to get a 60 day tourist visa in order to start the process with a proper VISA. As luck would have it I had a short trip planned just before my 30 day VISA EXEMPT STAMP expired.

If anyone thinks that they can get a retirement visa with an entry stamp only, please go to your local Immigration office and then let us know how you did it because it is not a visa so it cannot be done.

Johnny I think you may be a victim of different strokes for different immigration offices as I obtained my non o visa on the

strength of my entry stamp combined with a retirement extension application, albiet some time ago, at Phuket office, no

need to leave the country.

I did at one time look at changing my retirement extension to a marriage extension but immigration informed me then that

I would need to get a non o from an external Thai embassy/consulate as I could not use my existing non o for a marriage

extension, I tried to find out why this anomaly but the immigration officer I was dealing with was less than happy to explain

because, I suspect, she didn't know herself. Anyway the upshot was I just continued renewing my retirement ext.

If you have a visa extension, which is what you're talking about, you can not have a visa exempt entry, which is what Johnny is talking about.

Edited by stevenl

In stead of applying for a tourist visa you could of course also have applied for a retirement visa.

Why not practice as you so often preach to others on here and read the post properly..the reason for J99 's actions is all there.

Yes, he mentions the reason, and yes, I had read that post. But no, his information is not correct. He could have applied for a retirement in stead of 'the first step is a tourist visa'. That's why I said what I said.

Wrong [again ]you can not apply for retirement visa with only as he had,..''a visa exemption stamp''..He didn't have a visa!! facepalm.gif

That is why he said 'apply for tourist visa abroad', which is why I said 'no need for tourist visa, could have skipped that step and applied for non-immigrant O-visa and extended on basis of retirement.'

Why do people who have obviously no idea about visa regulations feel the need to post here about visas.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1

Karen Bravo - In answer to your original post (and I did read the entire discussion) the Immigration helpers are 100% wrong.

This exact scenario just happened to me a couple of months ago. I was leaving Thailand with an almost expired retirement visa and short on time at the airport so I did not stop off at re-entry permit desk in the airport immigration hall for fear that I would miss my flight. I thought that I could simply re-apply for a new retirement visa when I returned to Thailand the following week. What a mistake that was!!!

I found out the "hard way" that an entry stamp is not a visa. I was told by the official Immigration staff at Chaeng Wattana that they could not convert my entry stamp into a 90 day non-immigrant O (the first step toward the year long extension) because I HAD NO VISA TO CONVERT.

So, as it turns out, making a wasted trip to Chaeng Wattana was the least of it. I had to leave Thailand and go to a Thai embassy to get a 60 day tourist visa in order to start the process with a proper VISA. As luck would have it I had a short trip planned just before my 30 day VISA EXEMPT STAMP expired.

If anyone thinks that they can get a retirement visa with an entry stamp only, please go to your local Immigration office and then let us know how you did it because it is not a visa so it cannot be done.

Johnny I think you may be a victim of different strokes for different immigration offices as I obtained my non o visa on the

strength of my entry stamp combined with a retirement extension application, albiet some time ago, at Phuket office, no

I did at one time look at changing my retirement extension to a marriage extension but immigration informed me then that

I would need to get a non o from an external Thai embassy/consulate as I could not use my existing non o for a marriage

extension, I tried to find out why this anomaly but the immigration officer I was dealing with was less than happy to explain

because, I suspect, she didn't know herself. Anyway the upshot was I just continued renewing my retirement ext.

If you have a visa extension, which is what you're talking about, you can not have a visa exempt entry, which is what Johnny is talking about.

Dear steven I did think you had half a brain at one stage but I stand corrected.

Read my post carefully before you fall of your perch, I went to immigration with an entry stamp ( normal tourist 30 day stamp )

and no visa extension at that time and on the strength of that entry stamp and an application for a retirement extension I was

granted a 90 day visa, presumably to give my 800K in the bank sufficient time to mature. Within that 90 day period I was able

to fullfil all the requirements necessary to be granted a visa extension for the purposes of retirement.

Since then I have occasionally gone on trips outside Thailand and on my return I have without fail had the very same entry

stamp applied to my passport as I did before I had my retirement extension.

Dear steven I did think you had half a brain at one stage but I stand corrected.

Read my post carefully before you fall of your perch, I went to immigration with an entry stamp ( normal tourist 30 day stamp )

and no visa extension at that time and on the strength of that entry stamp and an application for a retirement extension I was

granted a 90 day visa, presumably to give my 800K in the bank sufficient time to mature. Within that 90 day period I was able

to fullfil all the requirements necessary to be granted a visa extension for the purposes of retirement.

Since then I have occasionally gone on trips outside Thailand and on my return I have without fail had the very same entry

Yes, that (upgrade from visa exempt to visa) is sometimes accepted. I think officially it is allowed, but the immigration officers seem to be hesitant, or are interpreting this differently.

You're just very confusing because you say 'entry stamp' when you mean 'visa exempt entry'. Everybody gets an entry stamp, see earlier explanations about that. And since you earlier indicated you had a visa extension and you mentioned in this post 'combined with a retirement extension application' the most logical thing to assume is you were talking about an entry with that extension and re-entry permit.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1

Yes, that (upgrade from visa exempt to visa) is sometimes accepted. I think officially it is allowed, but the immigration officers seem to be hesitant, or are interpreting this differently.

You're just very confusing because you say 'entry stamp' when you mean 'visa exempt entry'. Everybody gets an entry stamp, see earlier explanations about that. And since you earlier indicated you had a visa extension and you mentioned in this post 'combined with a retirement extension application' the most logical thing to assume is you were talking about an entry with that extension and re-entry permit.

Steven please tell me what is confusing you about this?

" I obtained my non o visa on the strength of my entry stamp combined with a retirement extension application "

And I believe the "earlier explanations" you may be referring to is

" The stamp you are referring to is neither a visa nor a "visa exempt" stamp but simply a permission to stay "

You seem to be the only one who thinks " the most logical thing to assume is you were talking about an entry with

that extension and re-entry permit." when no such talk exists. You really need to think before making wild assumptions.

" I obtained my non o visa on the strength of my entry stamp combined with a retirement extension application "

" The stamp you are referring to is neither a visa nor a "visa exempt" stamp but simply a permission to stay "

You seem to be the only one who thinks " the most logical thing to assume is you were talking about an entry with

that extension and re-entry permit." when no such talk exists. You really need to think before making wild assumptions.

See my previous post:

"You're just very confusing because you say 'entry stamp' when you mean 'visa exempt entry'. Everybody gets an entry stamp, see earlier explanations about that. And since you earlier indicated you had a visa extension <snip> the most logical thing to assume is you were talking about an entry with that extension and re-entry permit."

that extension and re-entry permit." when no such talk exists. The above quote from my previous post very clearly

shows that I am applying for a visa extension clearly not that I already have one.

You really need to think before making wild assumptions.

Edited by phuketjock

The 15 day stamp entry by land, or, the 30 day entry by air (whatever you want to call it) can be upgraded to a Non-Imm retirement visa at Phuket immigration without leaving the country as long as all other requirements are fulfilled.

These are the 800K for two to three months and a letter from your bank, plus photocopies of pages from your passport and your bank-book.

That is why he said 'apply for tourist visa abroad', which is why I said 'no need for tourist visa, could have skipped that step and applied for non-immigrant O-visa and extended on basis of retirement.'

Why do people who have obviously no idea about visa regulations feel the need to post here about visas.

Yes , but you are changing what you said [as usual]..firstly you said..; He could have applied for a retirement in stead of 'the first step is a tourist visa'.

And my reply was that you can not apply for retirement visa with only as he had,..''a visa exemption stamp''.

Which is 100% correct. Yes? I was correct!

Now as usual you twist and add things..now to appear correct you have changed to "could have skipped that step and applied for non-immigrant O-visa and extended on basis of retirement.'

Your new version is correct... Yes he can apply for this visa and then extend on retirement, but not as you first said .coffee1.gif

that extension and re-entry permit." when no such talk exists. The above quote from my previous post very clearly

shows that I am applying for a visa extension clearly not that I already have one.

You really need to think before making wild assumptions.

I give up on you.

@andreandre

Please read my post #100.

I know people that have done this and I wanted to check. Immigration told me they will give you a retirement visa on the basis of a 15/30 day entry stamp.

You do not need to get a visa from another country first before upgrading to a retirement visa.

The information sheet I got from immigration also confirms this.

• Like 1

Yes , but you are changing what you said [as usual]..firstly you said..; He could have applied for a retirement in stead of 'the first step is a tourist visa'.

And my reply was that you can not apply for retirement visa with only as he had,..''a visa exemption stamp''.

Now as usual you twist and add things..now to appear correct you have changed to "could have skipped that step and applied for non-immigrant O-visa and extended on basis of retirement.'

Your new version is correct... Yes he can apply for this visa and then extend on retirement, but not as you first said .coffee1.gif

I have not changed anything.

And yes, you are 100% wrong, "my reply was that you can not apply for retirement visa with only as he had,..''a visa exemption stamp''" is not true.

And yes, I give up on you as well. You're not reading the answers, have no clue about immigration procedures, so this discussion is way over your level.

@andreandre

Please read my post #100.

I know people that have done this and I wanted to check. Immigration told me they will give you a retirement visa on the basis of a 15/30 day entry stamp.

You do not need to get a visa from another country first before upgrading to a retirement visa.

The information sheet I got from immigration also confirms this.

Yes , sure, your wording is a little confusing thats all.. Immigration told me they will give you a retirement visa on the basis of a 15/30 day entry stamp.

They will give you a non imm O visa if you meet the requirements and after 3 months you can ,if you choose to it be extended 'based on retirement' if you met those requirements..

"They will give you a non imm O visa if you meet the requirements and after 3 months you can ,if you choose to it be extended 'based on retirement' if you met those requirements.."

No they don't - If you meet the requirements they will sell you a NoN O for 2,000 Baht, stamp it in your passport and cancel it. They will then give you a retirement extension for 15 months

• Like 2

Glad you lot are not running the Immigration Offices - what a carry on

Yes especially the swedish guy who doesn't have a firm grasp of English.

Anyway this shows how confusing the whole issue can be..its up to the person you deal with at immigration on the day..its in their hands entirely as to what you are told..and what they will do for you.

Glad you lot are not running the Immigration Offices - what a carry on

Anyway this shows how confusing the whole issue can be..its up to the person you deal with at immigration on the day..its in their hands entirely as to what you are told..and what they will do for you.

That is probably the best way to describe. Totally up to them.

The Swedish guy has been there years and is very good at dealing with the Scandinavians apparntly

The 15 day stamp entry by land, or, the 30 day entry by air (whatever you want to call it) can be upgraded to a Non-Imm retirement visa at Phuket immigration without leaving the country as long as all other requirements are fulfilled.

These are the 800K for two to three months and a letter from your bank, plus photocopies of pages from your passport and your bank-book.

Almost KB. It will ( entry stamp for 30/15 day stay ) allow you to obtain a non-immigrant "O" visa which will support your application

for an visa extension ( valid for 1 year ) on the grounds of retirement, in my case without leaving the country.

Almost KB. It will ( entry stamp for 30/15 day stay ) allow you to obtain a non-immigrant "O" visa which will support your application

for an visa extension ( valid for 1 year ) on the grounds of retirement, in my case without leaving the country.

You have to have 7 clear days left on your 15/30 day entry stamp or they will not entertain it.

2000 Baht for your O Visa

1900 Baht for your retirement extension

1000 or 4800 for re-entry stamps if required

And yes, you are 100% wrong, "my reply was that you can not apply for retirement visa with only as he had,..''a visa exemption stamp''" is not true.

And yes, I give up on you as well. You're not reading the answers, have no clue about immigration procedures, so this discussion is way over your level.

Steven what you are claiming to be 100% wrong is exactly how I obtained my non O and retirement extension so

I am afraid it is you who is 110% absolutely WRONG

• Like 1

Yep..From embassy site;

Application for an initial non-immigrant visa from the Thai embassy or consulate in your home country or country of residence. Once you have entered Thailand you will have to apply for the one year extension of your visa at the immigration office of your location. Please note that you will have to wait to be in Thailand for 60 days before to file your retirement application at the immigration office or you must have at least 21 days left in your current permit to stay. Providing that you fulfill all the conditions and provide all the documents required (including a proof of address in Thailand) you will be granted by the Immigration a one year extension and permitted to stay in Thailand for 1 year.

The foreigner on a visa exemption stamp or a tourist visa can obtain a retirement visa given that the foreigner already met the requirements for the non-immigrant O visa and for the one year extension application. The visa applications can be done at the immigration office in Thailand.

The people who actually run it are worse.

I never have any problem there. But then again I do nothing special, just extensions on non-immigrant B and the occasional re-entry permit.

Steven what you are claiming to be 100% wrong is exactly how I obtained my non O and retirement extension so

So now you're trying to claim that I said you can not get O with visa exempt entry?

That is probably the best way to describe. Totally up to them.

The Swedish guy has been there years and is very good at dealing with the Scandinavians apparntly

I had another swede in mind, but yes, apparently that swede [imm] is good.

Edited by LivinginKata

So now you're trying to claim that I said you can not get O with visa exempt entry?

As a point of interest steven how many annual visa extensions for retirement have you made?

I had to leave Thailand and go to a Thai embassy to get a 60 day tourist visa in order to start the process with a proper VISA. As luck would have it I had a short trip planned just before my 30 day VISA EXEMPT STAMP expired.

I was in Singapore and the only visa they would issue was a tourist visa, no non-immigrant O and no retirement visa. Besides, I thought you could only apply for a retirement visa in Thailand. Isn't that correct?