"Pattaya" is bad for the reputation

Gone

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi ,, My first post

Why do some people choose to live in Pattaya? maybe because of the shopping centers? the night life? the girls? the restaurants? their Job? The nature? ,, Anyway ,,There is so many other and beautifull places in Thailand to live

Will put same question to you, which was earlier put to another member with no answer

Please name those nice places, which offer a number of english speaking newspapers, tv channels, variety of foods, centrally located, beaches, does not get flooded,reliable internet, some sort of international community, close to international airport etc??????????

Strange, isn't it? People would fly half-way around the world to read english "speaking" newspapers close to an airport. I was getting that in New York...along with tv channels, a variety of foods, no flooding and a big international community. That only leaves Pattaya as having a good beach? LOL, which it does not. Nice to have a comfort zone. All kidding aside, it does have quite alot in the way of sexual stuff, took me about 3 days before I stopped looking at all the skirts. Single man's paradise it is.

Hi ,, My first post

Why do some people choose to live in Pattaya? maybe because of the shopping centers? the night life? the girls? the restaurants? their Job? The nature? ,, Anyway ,,There is so many other and beautifull places in Thailand to live

Will put same question to you, which was earlier put to another member with no answer

Please name those nice places, which offer a number of english speaking newspapers, tv channels, variety of foods, centrally located, beaches, does not get flooded,reliable internet, some sort of international community, close to international airport etc??????????

I guess there must be more than one Pattaya, as the one you live in doesn't get flooded.

n1-Pattaya-flooded.jpg

http://www.pattayapeople.com/archives/Pattaya-Flooded-after-Heavy-Rain

Edited by jbrain

Hi ,, My first post

Strange, isn't it? People would fly half-way around the world to read english "speaking" newspapers close to an airport. I was getting that in New York...along with tv channels, a variety of foods, no flooding and a big international community. That only leaves Pattaya as having a good beach? LOL, which it does not. Nice to have a comfort zone. All kidding aside, it does have quite alot in the way of sexual stuff, took me about 3 days before I stopped looking at all the skirts. Single man's paradise it is.

Just in case you missed the point, it is not about tourists,but expats living in Thailandrolleyes.gif

Hi ,, My first post

I guess there must be more than one Pattaya, as the one you live in doesn't get flooded.

n1-Pattaya-flooded.jpg

Is that the flooding? Looks like Pattaya Beach. That lady is holding an english "speaking" newspaper!

Hi ,, My first post

n1-Pattaya-flooded.jpg

You must be really bored to start trolling again.

One day flood in few areas in comparison to weeks, if not months of being flooded.

Seen any boats in Pattaya taking people around the streetswhistling.gif

Hi ,, My first post

n1-Pattaya-flooded.jpg

You must be really bored to start trolling again.

One day flood in few areas in comparison to weeks, if not months of being flooded.

Seen any boats in Pattaya taking people around the streetswhistling.gif

On your request

Uploaded on 12 Sep 2011

Flooding in Pattaya 9 / 11. Hav`nt seen anything like it before, but people seem to take it all with a big smile (land of smiles). They where even fishing and rowing boats in Walking Street, and they got really big fishes;-)

RotVonRat

Edited by jbrain
  • Like 1

WOWWWW

Anyways in my OP I never said I was NOT proud to live in Pattaya. It was a thread just in general how Pattaya is looked down on Internationally. Maybe that is why I have never changed my address to NOT include Pattaya but now I know you can I most likely will.

I LOVE Pattaya and brought my father here around 7 years ago and Pattaya was perfect because it has a lot of shopping where I could buy farang type food and many farang style restaurants for my dad and also the fact that there are a few International hospitals here for him (he came here at 80 and died at 84).

I also worked in Mapthaput as an Engineer for 2 of those years which was good because I could not leave him and work Internationally.

Still now it is perfect because it is close to many nice beaches (South) and places like Koh Chang. It is also very close to the airport for when I fly to a job.

There are many reasons why I LOVE Pattaya actually and again I never (hardly ever) go into the down-town scene etc.

I do agree that most of the farangs that now live in Sakon nowhere probably first met their gf's in Pattaya because they could speak a bit of English and eventually things worked out so they moved to esan and now have a life they are happy with. Normally woman from Esan do NOT speak English at all if they have never left the province so to find a farang that first comes to Thailand and moves directly to the province, not speaking Thai etc. is just not likely so to all the "I'm better then all you Pattaya scum" guys, try to remember.......

Anyways, I only said that I have had funny remarks from companies and recruiters etc. (most likely because they have been here) but it has never effected my chance of Employment as my past experience and references on jobs is good.

PS: Lemoncake why are you constantly trolling here? Who cares if posters can or cannot mention nicer places to live. GIVE IT A REST !!!!!!

Edited by Gone
  • Like 2

Thanks to the OP and slipperylobster for dragging the topic back on topic away from the floods and road diversions biggrin.png

Definition of DRAG
: something used to drag with; especially : a device for dragging under water to detect or obtain objects
laugh.pnglaugh.png

WOWWWW

Anyways in my OP I never said I was NOT proud to live in Pattaya. It was a thread just in general how Pattaya is looked down on Internationally. Maybe that is why I have never changed my address to NOT include Pattaya but now I know you can I most likely will.

I LOVE Pattaya and brought my father here around 7 years ago and Pattaya was perfect because it has a lot of shopping where I could buy farang type food and many farang style restaurants for my dad and also the fact that there are a few International hospitals here for him (he came here at 80 and died at 84).

I also worked in Mapthaput as an Engineer for 2 of those years which was good because I could not leave him and work Internationally.

Still now it is perfect because it is close to many nice beaches (South) and places like Koh Chang. It is also very close to the airport for when I fly to a job.

There are many reasons why I LOVE Pattaya actually and again I never (hardly ever) go into the down-town scene etc.

I do agree that most of the farangs that now live in Sakon nowhere probably first met their gf's in Pattaya because they could speak a bit of English and eventually things worked out so they moved to esan and now have a life they are happy with. Normally woman from Esan do NOT speak English at all if they have never left the province so to find a farang that first comes to Thailand and moves directly to the province, not speaking Thai etc. is just not likely so to all the "I'm better then all you Pattaya scum" guys, try to remember.......

Anyways, I only said that I have had funny remarks from companies and recruiters etc. (most likely because they have been here) but it has never effected my chance of Employment as my past experience and references on jobs is good.

PS: Lemoncake why are you constantly trolling here? Who cares if posters can or cannot mention nicer places to live. GIVE IT A REST !!!!!!

Most likely because you live here for year and years and years and speak fluent Thai , yet do not know where do find non bar girls or bars without working girls.

Because you like to make up fictitious story's, as i said, international company's do not write personalized emails even more so when you been rejected, but you are aware of that.

At one point, you have your own company, then you working for someone and then you looking for job.

So who is trolling? or perhaps attention seekingwhistling.gif

• Like 1

On your request

Uploaded on 12 Sep 2011

Flooding in Pattaya 9 / 11. Hav`nt seen anything like it before, but people seem to take it all with a big smile (land of smiles). They where even fishing and rowing boats in Walking Street, and they got really big fishes;-)

RotVonRat

Remind me again, how long it lasted and then compare it to the same time frame across the country

On your request

Uploaded on 12 Sep 2011

RotVonRat

Remind me again, how long it lasted and then compare it to the same time frame across the country

Yawn.

clap2.gif

Just remember, it's smallest entity to largerst entity. To be correct, it would be something on the order of:

123/45 Moo 10

Nongprue, Pattaya

Banglamung, Chonburi, 20150

THAILAND

Nongprue (Tambon) is the wholely included in Pattaya. Pattaya is wholely included in Banglamung (Amphur).

thumbsup.gif

Edited by BB1950

@Gone:

Even when I have big International companies from the Oil industry read my CV and see that my mailing address is Pattaya, they reply with some very degrading comments such as: "Oh good for you working around the world and spending your money on woman in Pattaya" or: "I have been to Pattaya before. How many girlfriends do you have?"

Nah, HR personnel from a big international company would say no such thing. You just made that up. They don't care where you live or how you spend the money you've earned, only whether you can do the job. An oil rig worker's sex life just doesn't make headlines that affect the company's bottom line. Period.

Even some of my old friends on my Facebook from back home think I'm some pervert because I live here. Little do they know most of us here are not like that at all.

I'd be embarrassed to be claim I wasn't like that at all. I don't mind at all assuring the guys that, thank god, I escaped the trap they're in and enjoy the sex life only a rock star could dream of back in ol' Blighty. For married guys, the threesome possibilities are infinite, too. After we get the sex out the way, we can discuss restaurants, sea views, music, shopping, etc.

As for you, why verify that you don't enjoy the delights here your old friends can, in all honesty, only envy? Why reveal that, instead, you just sit at your computer all day with a catheter and sometimes manage a wank and that's it--while you live in one the world's premier sex havens? Yeah, I'd find that embarrassing.

Invite your friends over for a good ol' fashioned Pattaya Double Bubble Sandwich Massage. They'll thank you.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

What a bunch of cowards! You should be proud of living in Pattaya, wether your a bar hopper or not. There is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of, it is the sex capital of the world, Thailand's only real hub lol. The girls do a fanastic job pleasing visitors and supporting families and the economy in an open and honest way. They should be applauded by everyone. It is the sickening fake indignation of mock puritanical t00ssers that should get it in the neck.

Well said. Now can you say it again while standing, grabbing your crouch with one hand and holding a pint of beer with the other.

@Gone:

Even when I have big International companies from the Oil industry read my CV and see that my mailing address is Pattaya, they reply with some very degrading comments such as: "Oh good for you working around the world and spending your money on woman in Pattaya" or: "I have been to Pattaya before. How many girlfriends do you have?"

Nah, HR personnel from a big international company would say no such thing. You just made that up. They don't care where you live or how you spend the money you've earned, only whether you can do the job. An oil rig worker's sex life just doesn't make headlines that affect the company's bottom line. Period.

Even some of my old friends on my Facebook from back home think I'm some pervert because I live here. Little do they know most of us here are not like that at all.

I'd be embarrassed to be claim I wasn't like that at all. I don't mind at all assuring the guys that, thank god, I escaped the trap they're in and enjoy the sex life only a rock star could dream of back in ol' Blighty. For married guys, the threesome possibilities are infinite, too. After we get the sex out the way, we can discuss restaurants, sea views, music, shopping, etc.

As for you, why verify that you don't enjoy the delights here your old friends can, in all honesty, only envy? Why reveal that, instead, you just sit at your computer all day with a catheter and sometimes manage a wank and that's it--while you live in one the world's premier sex havens? Yeah, I'd find that embarrassing.

Invite your friends over for a good ol' fashioned Pattaya Double Bubble Sandwich Massage. They'll thank you.

1) You comment regarding HR not commenting is wrong. They normally after being short listed follow up with a phone interview and that is where I hear the comments.

2) Your second comment is also wrong as if you have read all my posts you will see that I DO defend Pattaya however it does not mean that just because i live here that I have to be a whore-monger. When my friends from back home (single guy friends) of course I show them all the nasty that Pattaya has to offer and it is a blast. Other friends who visit me (couples) normally want to see it all for 1 night but after that I show them around the beautiful outskirts of Pattaya (Golden Buddha mountain etc.).

Invite your friends over for a good ol' fashioned Pattaya Double Bubble Sandwich Massage. They'll thank you. If you are talking about my "friends" why would I want to invite them to an HIV-fest? Every time you sleep with one of these girls you are sleeping with all of their partners and their partners partners right? I show them Pattaya and the rest is up to them but i also recommend that they triple bag it. Now THAT they might thank me for.

Anyways my OP is about Pattaya gaining an International bad reputation and although I love it here as many expats do, you have to agree with me or you are only trying to make excuses for your own personal reasons.

I'm not a rig worker but strictly on-shore and when I am working with "the boys" in other countries I would say that I live here and that strikes up all sorts of crazy conversations and ends up with 90% of them saying the will be here for holiday 100% (but that rarely happens).

Now if I am talking to the CEO of a large oil company or the PM of the company I work for I choose to say that I live in Bangkok just to avoid their Cristian thoughts. Why not?

Point is, Pattaya has a bad rep like it or not.

Anyways my OP is about Pattaya gaining an International bad reputation

Huh? Pattaya is, and always has been, first and foremost a sex haven. Its reputation has never changed at all except among Bangkok Thais, who are now flocking in. Among that group, it's gaining a good reputation. That's it.

Now if I am talking to the CEO of a large oil company or the PM of the company I work for I choose to say that I live in Bangkok just to avoid their Cristian thoughts. Why not?

You don't know their thoughts. Could be a total hedonist rather than a "Cristian." Nor would he/she make any hiring decision based on whether you live in PTY, or Bangkok (a city with its own reputation) or not. Period. Now, if some individual is curious about the delights of PTY, tell 'im you have the sex life of a rock star rather than just staying inside posting on TV and merely having a wank now and then. Should get you much more respect. The CEO will begin thinking how he can move to PTY as well. And you can bring him to Soi 6 for his first most enjoyable visit. Any lesbian can be happy here, too.

Probably you just aren't that well qualified, or too many others have even better qualifications, and you imagine the reason for your rejections have something to do w/ your place of residence. That is, it's all just a projection of your own underlying beliefs. Sorry!

Point is, Pattaya has a bad rep like it or not.

Pattaya has a rep, but whether that's bad or good is just in the eyes of the individual beholder. Now, YOU say it's bad--which opinion is, sad to say, just too irrelevant to like or dislike--and I say it's good. High season says there are are millions out there who think it's good. Besides, the same can be said of any city on the planet. London has a bad rep--and a good rep. New York, Amsterdam, Los Angeles . . . . So?

And don't gimme that HIV bogie. Of all the millions who've visited PTY over the last 40 years, you'd think there'd be hundreds every year who'd contracted AIDS and screamed warnings immediately amplified by the BBC. The total silence on that issue is truly astonishing. Let's hear your concrete evidence about the dangers. Well, everyone's being pretty careful nowadays . . . smile.png

Cheers! smile.png

• Like 1

It is what it is, you are living in a city filled of prostitutes, ladyboys, thiefs and other lowlifes.

Dont close your eyes and pretend you do not understand.....

It is what it is.... dont be so naive.....

Glegolo

[...] but i also recommend that they triple bag it. Now THAT they might thank me for. [...]

That's a very silly advice. It is NOT recommended (for either safer sex or pregnancy protection) to use more than one condom at the same time: "double (or triple) bagging" can actually increase the friction between the condoms during sex which makes them more likely to rip or tear.

http://contraception.about.com/od/contraceptionfailure/ht/condom.htm

• Like 1

I agree with the OP that there are a lot of pre-justice about Pattaya, but

mostly by very short-minded people.

Let's be honest about this. Most of these "short-minded" people jumping to conclusions are on the money.

Most people who post in the Pattaya forum on Thaivisa are probably the exception to the rule. It would be quite unexpected to outsiders that many people live normal lives in Pattaya.

It's best just to save these "short-minded" people the pain by being evasive.

With respect, the OP was talking about those of us that live here, or spend a considerable length of time here, or work offshore but consider Pattaya to be their home base. In that sense the people jumping to conclusions are not on the money.

Of the people I know well (say 20), and of maybe another thirty that I associate with regularly, all fit the above categories, all have Thai wives/children or long term relationships, most own houses or condos, and most have "a life" in the generally held view.

All of these people are of a character and demeanour whereby I would easily form friendships with them in Farangland - and they come from many different countries and backgrounds.

The two-week millionaires are generally a different kettle of fish. Have met many and found them to be OK people, and met many I would not care to meet again- just like it is in any society.

... however, you can't blame people for jumping to conclusions considering the nature of the place.

A lot of these "normal" people came here with other things on their mind... then they found someone special and settled down and started posting on Thaivisa forum about how normal they are.Posted Image

So you know 50 normal people now? That doesn't change a thing. I know quite a few "normal" folk too, but I also know why they originally came here.

I haven't lived in Pattaya for decades but I used to go on and on about how people don't understand how it's possible to live a normal and not at all sleazy life there (though obviously one has the possibility to indulge in the sleaze to whatever extent one might wish even if just voyeuristically); I totally get the post from Gsxrnz and am glad he posted it. BUT:

I'd be willing to bet that this accurate:

'A lot of these "normal" people came here with other things on their mind... then they found someone special and settled down and started posting on Thaivisa forum about how normal they are.'*

* Note: he said "a lot" not ALL. I would vehemently dispute the latter, if someone were to claim it.

• Like 1

Why just can't everybody live where they prefer to live.is my place better than yours? For me yes because I am living here.is your place better than mine?for you yes because you are living there.if somebody is not happy with his current place just move on and let other ppl live where they wanna live.as somebody sayed befor:my one is bigger than your one.c'mon get over it- just a little bit of tolerance.BTW I will not express my opinion about pattaya bec I am not living there just have been there once,and only once....

Why just can't everybody live where they prefer to live.is my place better than yours? For me yes because I am living here.is your place better than mine?for you yes because you are living there.if somebody is not happy with his current place just move on and let other ppl live where they wanna live.as somebody sayed befor:my one is bigger than your one.c'mon get over it- just a little bit of tolerance.BTW I will not express my opinion about pattaya bec I am not living there just have been there once,and only once....

The majority of people in the world don't live where they choose to live. Birth and circumstances dictate where most people live.

Expats who live in Pattaya live there out of choice - which makes them special.biggrin.png Guys living in Nakonsanowhere live there due to pressure from their gf's or wives. I would bet that many of these guys, after years of boredom living out there, dream of better days in the "hot spots" where they found their wives.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

The majority of people in the world don't live where they choose to live. Birth and circumstances dictate where most people live.

Expats who live in Pattaya live there out of choice - which makes them special.xbiggrin.png.pagespeed.ic.r24L-a7U61.web alt=biggrin.png width=20 height=20> Guys living in Nakonsanowhere live there due to pressure from their gf's or wives. I would bet that many of these guys, after years of boredom living out there, dream of better days in the "hot spots" where they found their wives.

OK, so I have returned. So what? There's no need to bang on about it.

Just to note that just like my 3 previous addresses in Pattaya, the new one also doesn't mention Pattaya either.

Safe!

When I moved to live here 8 years ago, I asked the agent from whom I was renting what my correct postal address was. He gave me xxxx Nongprue, Banglamung, Chonburi 20150, Thailand as well so no mention of Pattaya.

When asked where I come from, I always say Jomtien which caused some amusement in Chiang Mai earlier this week!

Alan

Pattaya isn't an address. Your written Address, as you would use at Immigration fro 90 day etc should be something like:

123/45 Moo 10

Nongprue

Banglamung

Chonburi 20150

THAILAND

Edit: I use Pattaya when talking. If anybody (I talk to) has a fixation with that and implies any impropriety with living here, I give them an educated gobfull and get them on the back foot so fast that they fall over themselves apologising. As to the Pattaya bashers on TV......don't really care what they think, Tossers are allowed opinions too. coffee1.gif

There are lots of so called,knowledgeable people,from our home countries who make these comments,not only about Pattaya but Thailand in general

If somebody tries to wind me up with these disparaging remarks about Pattaya

I just inform them that wealthy Thais are now making Pattaya

their first, or second home...

Let's face it,most of them are jealous and would be here themselves if they could rid of their ropey old western wife