Cracking Air Asia

Saan

Has anyone ever managed to crack an Air Asia 'incredible' fare? I certainly can't.

This morning I received an email from Air Asia offering flights from Bangkok to Siam Reap with 'incredible fares' from 79 baht. My wife has been wanting to see Angkor Wat so I went looking for the 79 baht fare. Talk about a needle in a haystack. The flights are between October this year and August next but after many tries no luck. The cheapest I saw was for 999 baht - they did say from 79 baht. I suppose somewhere in there is a 79 baht fare but I don't have the patiences to find it.

I think having the patience to search is the key to the whole thing with Air Asia.

I guess we have now had well over 40 flights with them over the years nearly all of them have been booked up to a year in advance.

Nearly always find the " cheapies" and cheap enough to drop if for some reason we could not make the flights but has not happened yet.

Best we ever had was return for 2 to Macau for THB2500 and KL return for 2 for THB3000 ( fares inclusive). Never actually got the rock rock bottom price though.

We have gotten tickets for "0 Baht" before (only paid the tax). We fly Air Asia perhaps 6 times each year, never pay more than appx. 300-500 Baht per person anywhere in Thailand. I forget what we paid to Malaysia as it was years ago, but certainly not more than 3K THB round-trip for 2 people. When you have a family the savings are amazing. I just bought some tickets to Bangkok and Krabi, traveling next year when school is out. Cost almost nothing. I love Air Asia.

• Like 1

Airasia used to be good for really good deals if you booked many months ahead .Lately though in their latest promotion i could not find the cheap fares of around B500 between C.M. and Bangkok they promised .I looked at fares within their time frame and yet could not find them .

We have gotten tickets for "0 Baht" before (only paid the tax). We fly Air Asia perhaps 6 times each year, never pay more than appx. 300-500 Baht per person anywhere in Thailand. I forget what we paid to Malaysia as it was years ago, but certainly not more than 3K THB round-trip for 2 people. When you have a family the savings are amazing. I just bought some tickets to Bangkok and Krabi, traveling next year when school is out. Cost almost nothing. I love Air Asia.

I don't know the secret to your success as I tried as far ahead as August next year with no bargains like yours available.

All depends on the taxes ....79bt is the fare 920 bt is departure tax and other related taxes .Compare prices with Thai or Tiger and these deals are actually incredibly good , but you often need to book well ahead and be flexible .

Trying to get a valid refund from their customer services ,however is a nightmare !

• Like 2

That's the problem I discovered, brought the airfares (int thailand) months in advance online in Aus, then because of change in circumstances had to change dates 1-2 days before, can be done but at a cost almost as much as original price, @ this level, fare was comparable with thai smile.

rgds songhklasid.coffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

That's the problem I discovered, brought the airfares (int thailand) months in advance online in Aus, then because of change in circumstances had to change dates 1-2 days before, can be done but at a cost almost as much as original price, @ this level, fare was comparable with thai smile.

rgds songhklasid.coffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

Its a con, how many flights are actual availble at the advertised prices

I have never found one, and by the sould of it not many other have either

Many, many flights are available at the advertised price. It is not a con. You have to learn the website and how to use it. I buy tickets on the website all the time.

I flew Air Asia once, from Siem Reap to Singapore via Phnom Penh. With all the extras (luggage, more leg room, drinks, insurance,.....) I ended up paying as much as for a direct flight with Silk. My first, and last, experience with them.

I flew Air Asia once, from Siem Reap to Singapore via Phnom Penh. With all the extras (luggage, more leg room, drinks, insurance,.....) I ended up paying as much as for a direct flight with Silk. My first, and last, experience with them.

All depends on the taxes ....79bt is the fare 920 bt is departure tax and other related taxes .Compare prices with Thai or Tiger and these deals are actually incredibly good , but you often need to book well ahead and be flexible .

Trying to get a valid refund from their customer services ,however is a nightmare !

For travel within Thailand, Airport tax is usually about 350-500 THB depending on the destination; 350 to Bangkok, etc... Hat Yai is higher, Phuket, etc.

You can't get a refund (maybe - just maybe with a Doctor's letter. But even then subject to their approval). But that's about it. It's a low cost airline. You get cheap prices but don't get all the services you get with a full cost airline. That's how they are able to keep costs down. Besides that is what travel insurance is for. If there is an emergency and you are unable to travel, then you are covered. If you change your mind, the tickets are so cheap you can just toss them.

We never buy "extras", only pay the basic fare. That is the nice thing about them. They give the customer the choice.

Refer to my post from yesterday - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/653705-new-route-air-asia-to-siem-reap/

There are still seats there at the advertised price, you just have to look, I have just checked.

The AA site is not misleading, it does say "All Inclusive Fares starts from THB999"

If 999 baht is the real price I'd say this extract from the email is very misleading.

Fly direct from Bangkok Fare

from

THB

79 newci-book.gif Book from 15 - 24 Jul 2013 Travel from 1 Oct 2013 - 5 Aug 2014

Fare shown is not inclusive of Airport tax and other fees.

Terms & conditions apply.

I don't know the secret to your success as I tried as far ahead as August next year with no bargains like yours available.

You need to keep going back and forth with the dates and flight times, several times before the cheap price pops up. The fares are randomly generated. Nobody wants to travel in August as school has started and it is monsoon. There are many cheap flights in August. March-May is the difficult period to get. But with persistence I just bought 9 round-trip tickets during that time period for almost nothing.

Refer to my post from yesterday - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/653705-new-route-air-asia-to-siem-reap/

There are still seats there at the advertised price, you just have to look, I have just checked.

The AA site is not misleading, it does say "All Inclusive Fares starts from THB999"

If 999 baht is the real price I'd say this extract from the email is very misleading.

Fly direct from Bangkok Fare

from

THB

newci-book.gif Book from 15 - 24 Jul 2013 Travel from 1 Oct 2013 - 5 Aug 2014

Last week I paid 199-399 for tickets during that same time period. All within Thailand. But have bought tickets to Malaysia and Macau for the same prices in the past. They always have several promotions going at once. Be sure to click the right promotion! That is also tricky.

We never buy "extras", only pay the basic fare. That is the nice thing about them. They give the customer the choice.

I am quite tall and need extra leg room. I am also scared of flying and like to sit near an exit. And I flew for a few days and needed to take some luggage. And I was thirsty.

For me, the holiday starts with the journey and I like, no demand, some creature comforts.

If 999 baht is the real price I'd say this extract from the email is very misleading.Fly direct from Bangkok Fare

from

THB

79 newci-book.gif Book from 15 - 24 Jul 2013 Travel from 1 Oct 2013 - 5 Aug 2014

Hi Saan

Of course it is misleading ....... if you have difficulty understanding:

"Fare shown is not inclusive of Airport tax and other fees."

Saan .... this means that statuary charges are to be added to the amount charged by the airline.

Does this help you ???

I am quite tall and need extra leg room. I am also scared of flying and like to sit near an exit. And I flew for a few days and needed to take some luggage. And I was thirsty.

For me, the holiday starts with the journey and I like, no demand, some creature comforts.

I understand. For me, short flights within Thailand, Malaysia, etc....usually not more than 2 hours, I can put up with the seats provided, I don't drink alcohol on airplanes, etc. as well as my family, we don't need the extras. For longer or International flights, of course.

I have no doubt Electrified that you find these cheap fares in spite of others failing to do so. Why not give the rest of us a good rundown on exactly how you do it. Perhaps you could even find me a cheap fare to Gold Coast, Australia about end of January for a couple of weeks as I can't. I constantly look without success. I often wonder just how much trade Air Asia loses because people have so much trouble understanding their site.

I have no doubt Electrified that you find these cheap fares in spite of others failing to do so. Why not give the rest of us a good rundown on exactly how you do it. Perhaps you could even find me a cheap fare to Gold Coast, Australia about end of January for a couple of weeks as I can't. I constantly look without success. I often wonder just how much trade Air Asia loses because people have so much trouble understanding their site.

Honestly I have not tried buying tickets on Air Asia for travel to Australia, China, and many other destinations I would like to visit. I have only bought tickets for travel in SE Asia. I honestly haven't even paid attention to what the other fares are with the exception of one promotional email I got to to Southern China and it looked very cheap too.

But here are a couple of hints:

1. Sign-up to be a member and always be logged-in to the website when you are ready to buy tickets;

2. Be flexible on the dates you are willing to travel;

3. You need to go back and forth many times, selecting different dates and departure times, both outgoing and return flights. As I suggested before, it appears the promotions are randomly generated because the first time you select an itinerary the fare could be 9,000 Baht. But after going back and forth several times, the exact same travel date and time 5 minutes later could show 2600 Baht that was 9,000 Baht 5 minutes before.

4. We have usually gotten the best fares when traveling very early in the morning or late at night. This of course makes sense.

5. Finally, be patient and persistent.

Also, we never check in baggage. I think that adds 1,980 Baht to each RT ticket. We always carry our baggage with us. ANother thing: Open an account at Thai Pannich bank and use that debit card to make your purchase. Otherwise they get you for 250 Baht or thereabouts service charge PER TICKET!

Good luck.