Cracking Air Asia

Saan

This debate continues every time AA has a sale.

AA has advertised their product in this way since day one, not sure why people are still surprised and do not understand how their site functions. Many full service airlines advertise the same way.

I do agree that they should advertise the lowest fare you can possibly pay, not just the fare. The add-ons, ie. seats/luggage/insurance etc is then the consumer's choice. Some people want 40kg of luggage, some just want hand luggage, you are only paying for what you need.

Unfortunately, sales fares are not on every seat on very flight. It is no different to a supermarket advertising a product at 50% discount and you arrive at the store five days after the sale started and the shelves are empty, not really surprising.

The key to success is to book immediately the fares are released. It does take time and effort to achieve a result, something that many appear not to realise.

Look at Post #2 on the link below and you will see who the bad guys are.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/653705-new-route-air-asia-to-siem-reap/

If it were not for carriers like AA we would be paying three and four times more for air fares.

I have had some incredibly low prices with AA, I will continue to support them.

AA has advertised their product in this way since day one, not sure why people are still surprised and do not understand how their site functions. Many full service airlines advertise the same way.

I do agree that they should advertise the lowest fare including taxes you can possibly pay, not just the fare. The add-ons, ie. seats/luggage/insurance etc is then the consumer's choice. Some people want 40kg of luggage, some just want hand luggage, you are only paying for what you need.

Unfortunately, sales fares are not on every seat on every flight. It is no different to a supermarket advertising a product at 50% discount and you arrive at the store five days after the sale started and the shelves are empty, not really surprising.

The key to success is to book immediately the fares are released. It does take time and effort to achieve a result, something that many appear not to realise.

If it were not for carriers like AA we would be paying three and four times more for air fares.

I disagree about booking immediately when the fares are released. We used to be logged-in the minute the sale started thinking that was how it worked. But more often than you could imagine, the website froze up and you got nothing because everyone else was on-line too. The tickets I got last week, I waited about a week after the sale started to get my tickets and got them at the price I wanted. Like I said, the fares are randomly generated by a computer program, not first-come, first-serve.

I do agree that they should advertise the lowest fare including taxes you can possibly pay, not just the fare. The add-ons, ie. seats/luggage/insurance etc is then the consumer's choice. Some people want 40kg of luggage, some just want hand luggage, you are only paying for what you need.

Unfortunately, sales fares are not on every seat on every flight. It is no different to a supermarket advertising a product at 50% discount and you arrive at the store five days after the sale started and the shelves are empty, not really surprising.

I disagree about booking immediately when the fares are released. We used to be logged-in the minute the sale started thinking that was how it worked. But more often than you could imagine, the website froze up and you got nothing because everyone else was on-line too. The tickets I got last week, I waited about a week after the sale started to get my tickets and got them at the price I wanted. Like I said, the fares are randomly generated by a computer program, not first-come, first-serve.

I agree with what you say, but, if you can access the site in the early stages of the sale I have always managed to get what I wanted. Two weeks ago I managed a UBP/DMK/UBP for two adults - Total THB7XX and 200 BIG points.

Also, I have just been sniffing around the Thai Airways and Bangkok Airways sites and their attractive advertised fares do not become attractive when you choose a flight and only then are the taxes added.

Through trial and error I also learned how to "game" Air Asia and have been very happy with the results. It does take time and patience but in the end you do come out ahead. Even when circumstances prevent me from taking those flights I have booked well in advance I don't sweat the small amount it cost me as there was no way I would have been able to get that low of a fare from another airline. In a few cases, for instance, Air Asia have cancelled my flight after I have already determined that I would not be able to fly regardless and I have been given a full refund. Air Asia may not be every bodies cup of tea but my own experiences have been nothing but positive.

Through trial and error I also learned how to "game" Air Asia and have been very happy with the results. It does take time and patience but in the end you do come out ahead. Even when circumstances prevent me from taking those flights I have booked well in advance I don't sweat the small amount it cost me as there was no way I would have been able to get that low of a fare from another airline. In a few cases, for instance, Air Asia have cancelled my flight after I have already determined that I would not be able to fly regardless and I have been given a full refund. Air Asia may not be every bodies cup of tea but my own experiences have been nothing but positive.

Not sure what you mean about AA cancelling your flight and refunding your money "after I have already determined that I would not be able to fly regardless".

All depends on the taxes ....79bt is the fare 920 bt is departure tax and other related taxes .Compare prices with Thai or Tiger and these deals are actually incredibly good , but you often need to book well ahead and be flexible .

Trying to get a valid refund from their customer services ,however is a nightmare !

For travel within Thailand, Airport tax is usually about 350-500 THB depending on the destination; 350 to Bangkok, etc... Hat Yai is higher, Phuket, etc.

You can't get a refund (maybe - just maybe with a Doctor's letter. But even then subject to their approval). But that's about it. It's a low cost airline. You get cheap prices but don't get all the services you get with a full cost airline. That's how they are able to keep costs down. Besides that is what travel insurance is for. If there is an emergency and you are unable to travel, then you are covered. If you change your mind, the tickets are so cheap you can just toss them.

Well,you CAN claim a refund of airport taxes (less admin fee) if you don't travel , and they offer a full refund sometimes when they 'suspend' a route . However , you fill in the claim forms ..and wait and wait ....then you get asked for your bank details again ...and wait ....until you phone their expensive rate call centre and ...wait until you eventually get so pissed of with it that you just forget it ...which is , of course , what they want you to do !

I will stick to Bangkok Airways a bit more expensive than AA but I get my seat of choice no extras for checked luggage, they give me a water or coke and a crappy lunch which I do not eat. No long crazy lines at check in and a nice lounge to wait in before flight leaves.

1. Sign-up to be a member and always be logged-in to the website when you are ready to buy tickets;

2. Be flexible on the dates you are willing to travel;

3. You need to go back and forth many times, selecting different dates and departure times, both outgoing and return flights. As I suggested before, it appears the promotions are randomly generated because the first time you select an itinerary the fare could be 9,000 Baht. But after going back and forth several times, the exact same travel date and time 5 minutes later could show 2600 Baht that was 9,000 Baht 5 minutes before.

4. We have usually gotten the best fares when traveling very early in the morning or late at night. This of course makes sense.

5. Finally, be patient and persistent.

Also, we never check in baggage. I think that adds 1,980 Baht to each RT ticket. We always carry our baggage with us. ANother thing: Open an account at Thai Pannich bank and use that debit card to make your purchase. Otherwise they get you for 250 Baht or thereabouts service charge PER TICKET!

One has to wonder... is it really worth all that time, effort, and potential aggravation?

Not for me.

We have gotten tickets for "0 Baht" before (only paid the tax). We fly Air Asia perhaps 6 times each year, never pay more than appx. 300-500 Baht per person anywhere in Thailand. I forget what we paid to Malaysia as it was years ago, but certainly not more than 3K THB round-trip for 2 people. When you have a family the savings are amazing. I just bought some tickets to Bangkok and Krabi, traveling next year when school is out. Cost almost nothing. I love Air Asia.

I don't know the secret to your success as I tried as far ahead as August next year with no bargains like yours available.

I have gotten a lot of real BARGAINS on air asia over the past few years...don't always get the super deals but more often than not..usually involves booking way in advance and doing it asap after announcements but they DO EXIST....air asia has saved me a lot of baht...just imagine how much Thai would charge if there was no air asia???

• Like 1

1. Sign-up to be a member and always be logged-in to the website when you are ready to buy tickets;

2. Be flexible on the dates you are willing to travel;

3. You need to go back and forth many times, selecting different dates and departure times, both outgoing and return flights. As I suggested before, it appears the promotions are randomly generated because the first time you select an itinerary the fare could be 9,000 Baht. But after going back and forth several times, the exact same travel date and time 5 minutes later could show 2600 Baht that was 9,000 Baht 5 minutes before.

4. We have usually gotten the best fares when traveling very early in the morning or late at night. This of course makes sense.

5. Finally, be patient and persistent.

Also, we never check in baggage. I think that adds 1,980 Baht to each RT ticket. We always carry our baggage with us. ANother thing: Open an account at Thai Pannich bank and use that debit card to make your purchase. Otherwise they get you for 250 Baht or thereabouts service charge PER TICKET!

One has to wonder... is it really worth all that time, effort, and potential aggravation?

Not for me.

About 10-15 minutes of my time each time I buy tickets to save tens of thousands of Baht every year??? It really is worth the time, yes. I have 3 people in my family to buy tickets for. I save a LOT of money. Aggravation? How so?

For an extra 50bt you can fly with Bankok Air & enjoy your flight I will not use AA again I do not like being riped off like they have done to me Enjoy PP & Ankor Watt it will take 3 days to see most of it Cambodia is a great place to visit take a wad of USDs with you

We have gotten tickets for "0 Baht" before (only paid the tax). We fly Air Asia perhaps 6 times each year, never pay more than appx. 300-500 Baht per person anywhere in Thailand. I forget what we paid to Malaysia as it was years ago, but certainly not more than 3K THB round-trip for 2 people. When you have a family the savings are amazing. I just bought some tickets to Bangkok and Krabi, traveling next year when school is out. Cost almost nothing. I love Air Asia.

I don't know the secret to your success as I tried as far ahead as August next year with no bargains like yours available.

I have gotten a lot of real BARGAINS on air asia over the past few years...don't always get the super deals but more often than not..usually involves booking way in advance and doing it asap after announcements but they DO EXIST....air asia has saved me a lot of baht...just imagine how much Thai would charge if there was no air asia???

It amazes me that AIr Asia, when booking in advance, is often 1/2 to 1/3 the price of Thai - even after adding on the baggage/meals/seat charges. I fly to Indonesia 3-4 times per year and often book 6-9 months in advance. I always compare all carriers but have NEVER found TG to be competitive.

The thing I don't understand about AIr Asia is why not show the fare with fixed charges like the Thai departure tax, their fares are still much lower than other carriers - so why create the unreal expectation of a 79 baht fare when the actual fare will be 799 baht even with no bags or meals or pre-reserved seat.

For an extra 50bt you can fly with Bankok Air & enjoy your flight I will not use AA again I do not like being riped off like they have done to me Enjoy PP & Ankor Watt it will take 3 days to see most of it Cambodia is a great place to visit take a wad of USDs with you

I always compare Bangkok AIr with AIr Asia, and sometimes, I find Bangkok AIrways to Chiang Mai and other domestic places to be competitive - and then I book. However, many times Bangkok Airways is double the cost, not the 50 baht more you mention. TG is rarely competitive.

• 2 weeks later...

Air Asia has now (at last count) been finned 7 time by the ACCC in Australia for fraud advertising on prices.

It must be cheaper to pay the fines coffee1.gif

Strange - the ACCC website only mentions one instance of AA being fined (by the Federal Court, not the ACCC).

http://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/air-asia-berhad-to-pay-200000-penalty-for-breaching-the-australian-consumer-law