Thunderer Tyre (Thai brand)

I drive 90% highway miles that's is why my tires get so many miles. My original tires were replaced at 65,000km. I replaced them when they started squealing too much when I make U-Turns.

I'm about to hit 130,000km total on my car but the Thunderer tired still performs very well. Quiet (no squealing during hard U-Turns) with good wet handling qualities.

My car just hit the 3 year mark this month. After almost 130,000km I still have 50% of the original break pad left due to driving mostly highway miles.

Recap...Original tires replace after 1.5 years and 65,000km...Thunderer will be replaced at 70,000km after a littlle over a year and a half. Not bad for cheap tires.

I'm on an oil rig right now, when I get back on shore I will look and see what model tire I have.

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy thread resurrection Batman !!

So I've been looking for tyres for my newly acquired Granvia. It came with three Bridgestone Duravis and one Maxxis, but the Bridgestones have started to show some cracks in the side walls, anyway would be nice to have a full matching set.

The Thunderer Ranger R402 comes in at 1,000 THB each cheaper than any of the "established" brands. I will only use the Granvia for mid range highway trips out of Bangkok at the weekends. I don't drive fast in Thailand, rarely above 110 kph and stop frequently for the kids to pee, wife to look at orchids / take photos, me to buy coffee etc. Takes us hours to get anywhere!

I've searched internet and as as usual TV provides the most info, but also some off road forums are praising the Thunderer range, a few reviews on Amazon are 4 or 5 start also.

Back in Spain I used Hankook tyres on all my BMWs and they were really great so I'm not adverse to trying the "asian" brands.

So tomorrow the boogie bus is booked in for boots!

I'll let you know how I get on with them!

On our Suzuki trucks we use Deestone.(the only tire available at the time in OEM size) They are black and round , stay inflated, the trucks go around corners etc. They seems to last OK.

Edited by VocalNeal

So I've been looking for tyres for my newly acquired Granvia. It came with three Bridgestone Duravis and one Maxxis, but the Bridgestones have started to show some cracks in the side walls, anyway would be nice to have a full matching set.

The Thunderer Ranger R402 comes in at 1,000 THB each cheaper than any of the "established" brands. I will only use the Granvia for mid range highway trips out of Bangkok at the weekends. I don't drive fast in Thailand, rarely above 110 kph and stop frequently for the kids to pee, wife to look at orchids / take photos, me to buy coffee etc. Takes us hours to get anywhere!

I've searched internet and as as usual TV provides the most info, but also some off road forums are praising the Thunderer range, a few reviews on Amazon are 4 or 5 start also.

Back in Spain I used Hankook tyres on all my BMWs and they were really great so I'm not adverse to trying the "asian" brands.

Changed my wifes Nissan Xtrail from Bridgestone to Thunderer and am not very impressed. Road handling and grip is much less than the already not fantastic Bridgestone ones. They look like they should have good grip, nice profile for wet, etc....but they just don't. Only done about 4,000km on them, so can't comment on anything else. my 2 cents...

On our Suzuki trucks we use Deestone.(the only tire available at the time in OEM size) They are black and round , stay inflated, the trucks go around corners etc. They seems to last OK.

Deestone are very good quality tyres.

Changed my wifes Nissan Xtrail from Bridgestone to Thunderer and am not very impressed. Road handling and grip is much less than the already not fantastic Bridgestone ones. They look like they should have good grip, nice profile for wet, etc....but they just don't. Only done about 4,000km on them, so can't comment on anything else. my 2 cents...

Would you mind telling us which model it was you fitted?

Thanks

A reply based on experience, you sure know how to annoy the Knee Jerkers..Nice one.clap2.gif

Sounds like the nonsense Driven to W*** used to come out with on the other channel.

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Well....not sure it helps...the one that fits on a Xtrail! Haha....no, but sorry, my wife is always driving around and i didn't check. They were black....;p

Well, I got home just fine on my Thunderers! Along with the alignment, new brake pads all round, skimmed discs, new brake fluid, oil and filter change, it feels like a new car!

Sent from a telephone, which make and model is no concern of yours….

Thanks

Well....not sure it helps...the one that fits on a Xtrail! Haha....no, but sorry, my wife is always driving around and i didn't check. They were black....;p

Only black? Not round?? w00t.gif

Well, I got home just fine on my Thunderers! Along with the alignment, new brake pads all round, skimmed discs, new brake fluid, oil and filter change, it feels like a new car!

I think you'll find them to be well worth the money in spite of all the whiners here. I see that likely most of the ones whining don't REALLY understand just what it is they are actually whining about, just need to something..

I think you'll find them to be well worth the money in spite of all the whiners here. I see that likely most of the ones whining don't REALLY understand just what it is they are actually whining about, just need to something..

Cum on Warpy, some of us know a little something about everything. And whinging and whining is good for your health. It's not good to bottle things up! biggrin.png

• 3 weeks later...

A quick update:

I've now done a few trips in the Granvia, the latest one to Sai Yok last weekend.

The grip of the tyres is good. Even braking sharply into bends on damp dirty rural roads the ABS didn't cut in and no squirming or lateral sliding either. In heavy rain on the way back, no sign of aquaplaning although speed was not high due to poor visibility.

The ride quality is also up to standard, handling and comfort does not seem to be compromised at all.

I cannot comment on fuel economy effects as I didn't give the old tyres enough time to make a decent evaluation.

Road noise is probably the only slight draw back. There is noise above about 110 kph, but as these are van tyres I'm not complaining.

I probably could have got even better grip (not needed as it seems and probably at the expense of longevity) and quieter tyres by paying for a premium brand, but so far these tyres have exceeded my expectations for the price.

• 11 months later...

What was the cost difference? and when did you do this, is it the second gen tire or the third? I guess you wouldn't know that without knowing when the generations changed over, but by the sound of the mileage you have on them it's possible they were second generation and not third in which case I would agree with you. Compare like with like, no one said they were high performance tires, merely that they are respectable performance for the cost. Just for the record too, I am only speaking of the sedan tires performance as that's the Op, can't and won't speak for any light truck or SUV tire, have no experience with them so won't comment except to say that any comparison needs to be on equal footing.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Might as well update this as it has been resurected again!!

I've now done around 10,000 kms on these tyres (including a 2,300 kms trip round the Mae Hong Song loop with 6 people and luggage) and had the old van up to an indicated 140kph a couple of times.

I've had a few "emergency stop" and avoiding swerve" situations and I'm glad to report that the tyres have not behaved strangely or poorly in any of them, in fact the ABS has only kicked in once. That was in the wet, braking very hard from about 40 kph on a concrete surface.

My opinion remains the same as it was in my previous posts with only a few extra considerations:

1) The road noise is, as I said before, quite loud at the upper speed range (below 100 it is not really audible), but I'm actually thinking that for such a heavy vehicle and such high profile tyres, I'm not sure that a "premium brand" would be much quieter. Unfortunately I'm not going to spend out on a set of alternative hoops just for the sake of experimenting!

2) Tyre life seems to be very good, I inspected them visually the other day and I can see no noticeable uneven wear (not that it would be the fault of the tyre if camber or alignment was out) and the overall wear rate is very acceptable. With a "thumb in the air" calculation I'd say that these tyres will last past 30,000 kms with no problem (if wear rate remains constant).

I wouldn't hesitate to buy these again when the current ones need replacing.

For which car ?

Well I do have close personal experience with them and found them to be a good low price performance tire based in part on the Goodyear F1 design. In fact I advised and provided R/D on the second series that corresponded with changes on the third evolution series (current design) and they made some recommended changes that made them a lot quieter, better dry grip and significantly better wet performance, with a respectable tread life.. IMO baht for baht they're the best value going..

Made a correction on second series to third, instead of first to second.. First series demonstrated poor tread life as they were too soft initially..

The main difference with a Thai brand and an international brand is that telling online that the brand suxx will send you to court and nobody will care.

If my Michelin suxx i will make so much noise online that they will pay me to stop.

The main difference is for me that Michelin will never take the risk to sell shiite, but Thai btands who knows and who cares in the rest of the world...

Edited by questionsreplies

For which car ?

Well I do have close personal experience with them and found them to be a good low price performance tire based in part on the Goodyear F1 design. In fact I advised and provided R/D on the second series that corresponded with changes on the third evolution series (current design) and they made some recommended changes that made them a lot quieter, better dry grip and significantly better wet performance, with a respectable tread life.. IMO baht for baht they're the best value going..

Made a correction on second series to third, instead of first to second.. First series demonstrated poor tread life as they were too soft initially..

Quite irrelevant.. They got more then the average hyding to stand up to most any car or driver abuse..

I did a lot of research on the brand before settling for them at b-quik.

fitted a set of 185/60/15 on my honda freed. paid 8,700baht on promotion.. buy 3 get 1 free.

also i recommend getting alignment done... just ask for the AIS promotion.. they quoted me 450baht.. after ais sms sent.. they charged 225baht.. very good price for professional alignment.

overall superb service... did mine at b-quik prakanong (the one with the maxvalu)

it's only been about 1 week plus now and everything is as expected...

noise/ride comfort is pretty much the same if not slightly better on the old set of dunlops maxxis (i think).

the dunlops lasted me about 70,000km.. in about 3 years driving.

handling has been good so far.. i will be driving up to hua hin and back the next few days.. so i will have better feel of the tyres then.

i also suspect overall comfort will be better once i relplace all the shocks. :)

"cheaper" or "made in Thailand" doesn't mean bad or dangerous...

1. it is made locally, so the cost savings are passed on...

2. the tires i got were fresh! the dot date was 2215 (22nd week of 2015).. which means it was manufactured the very week i got them fitted. :) so the rubber is all nice and new.

hope this helps.

oh i just wanted to add.. i got the 185/60/15 MACH IV model...

I did a lot of research on the brand before settling for them at b-quik.

fitted a set of 185/60/15 on my honda freed. paid 8,700baht on promotion.. buy 3 get 1 free.

also i recommend getting alignment done... just ask for the AIS promotion.. they quoted me 450baht.. after ais sms sent.. they charged 225baht.. very good price for professional alignment.

overall superb service... did mine at b-quik prakanong (the one with the maxvalu)

it's only been about 1 week plus now and everything is as expected...

noise/ride comfort is pretty much the same if not slightly better on the old set of dunlops maxxis (i think).

the dunlops lasted me about 70,000km.. in about 3 years driving.

handling has been good so far.. i will be driving up to hua hin and back the next few days.. so i will have better feel of the tyres then.

i also suspect overall comfort will be better once i relplace all the shocks. smile.png

"cheaper" or "made in Thailand" doesn't mean bad or dangerous...

1. it is made locally, so the cost savings are passed on...

2. the tires i got were fresh! the dot date was 2215 (22nd week of 2015).. which means it was manufactured the very week i got them fitted. smile.png so the rubber is all nice and new.

hope this helps.

I had Dunlops on the Yaris when I originally bought it

I had done 60K on them and only changed as the rubber was cracking after 7 years

Bqwick convinced me that the Michelens were the go.

I was impressed with a quieter smoother ride, however in not less that 6K i have replaced 3 of them as they are to soft and puncture easily.

Now back to the Dunlops -never the Michelens.

I had Dunlops on the Yaris when I originally bought it

I had done 60K on them and only changed as the rubber was cracking after 7 years

Bqwick convinced me that the Michelens were the go.

I was impressed with a quieter smoother ride, however in not less that 6K i have replaced 3 of them as they are to soft and puncture easily.

Now back to the Dunlops -never the Michelens.

Ermm you quoted me but I'm not referencing either of the tire brands you mention in your post? Maybe you should give the thunderers in the discussion a try, instead of the Dunlops or the Michelins?

Edited by WarpSpeed