Where to by Tar soap in Thailand/CM?

samlowry

Pears soap is not tar based, the soap that contains tar is called Wrights Coal Tar Soap an antiseptic that I have yet to find in Thailand. there are several antiseptic soaps available here but whether they, or tar soap, help prevent perspiration i don't know

Pears soap is not tar based, the soap that contains tar is called Wrights Coal Tar Soap an antiseptic that I have yet to find in Thailand. there are several antiseptic soaps available here but whether they, or tar soap, help prevent perspiration i don't know

In Australia we have a brand called "Pinetarsol. It "relieves inflamed and itchy skin" and is marketed as an alternative to soap made from "1.6% Pine tar" so the same ingredient you speak of. It also has preservatives Phenethyl alchohol and dichlorobenzyl alcohol. It comes in a soap or gel and is great to relieve itching and use instead of soap for conditions such as dermatitis.

It has an "antiseptic" odd odour but not really bad. In Australia it is made by Ego Pharmaceuticals.

I am moving to Thailand soon so interested in what is available there too. I am sure there are similar products as I remember looking around a pharmacy or supermarket there and seeing something that had Pine Tar but can't recall any brands or packaging.

Yes you can get tar soap in CM, I have seen it but need to go up town and try and remember where! Pinetarsal is indeed a good product for skin allergies like psoriasis.

Will report back with location hopefully later today. Wrights Coal Tar soap is another good product and if I remember rightly also has wheat in it....so it also acts like a exfoliator (Removes dead skin etc)

Never heard it used to help with perspiration/sweating but you never know. Be aware though that coal tar soap (as already mentioned) does have a very perculiar smell that can be rather over powering. Ok off to town.....

I don't think you can get genuine coal-tar soap anymore, the local town-gas plants (which I believe were the source, of the coal-tar by-product, which they made soap & many other things out of) shut down when North Sea gas came online, but you can still get Wright's in the UK.

However the packaging says "Traditional Soap with coal tar fragrance", which is a totally different thing, and also says "Made in Turkey" ! blink.png .

I buy it at Asda, when on family-trips to the UK, and carry it back to CM.

Love that old-fashioned antiseptic smell ! smile.png

In Australia we have a brand called "Pinetarsol. It "relieves inflamed and itchy skin" and is marketed as an alternative to soap made from "1.6% Pine tar" so the same ingredient you speak of. It also has preservatives Phenethyl alchohol and dichlorobenzyl alcohol. It comes in a soap or gel and is great to relieve itching and use instead of soap for conditions such as dermatitis.

It has an "antiseptic" odd odour but not really bad. In Australia it is made by Ego Pharmaceuticals.

I am moving to Thailand soon so interested in what is available there too. I am sure there are similar products as I remember looking around a pharmacy or supermarket there and seeing something that had Pine Tar but can't recall any brands or packaging.

You can buy "coal tar" shampoo here and Boots sell it. Have also seen a local bar soap which has "Tea tree" oil in it and this has antiseptic/anti rash properties (Big C stores sell it).

Yes you can get tar soap in CM, I have seen it but need to go up town and try and remember where! Pinetarsal is indeed a good product for skin allergies like psoriasis.

Will report back with location hopefully later today. Wrights Coal Tar soap is another good product and if I remember rightly also has wheat in it....so it also acts like a exfoliator (Removes dead skin etc)

Never heard it used to help with perspiration/sweating but you never know. Be aware though that coal tar soap (as already mentioned) does have a very perculiar smell that can be rather over powering. Ok off to town.....

Will it over power the flying insects?biggrin.png

CMKiwi thanks! Hope you'll remember… And yep, I know it smells smile.png

Sorry Sam, I did get uptown but the missus had be occupied with her business stuff. Im off into town again soon but this time I take the motorbike so I can do 'my' stuff. Hopefully Ill locate the coal tar!

Unfortunately there are a few similar items which are either impossible to find – or they are kept hidden very well. Example, I have been trying to find a supply of liquid Castile Soap without success