Thai State Railways train derails in North, foreign tourists injured

webfact

Not at all surprising, unfortunately. The rail system is in shocking condition and desperately needs upgrading, never mind the high speed project.

is there any reason to expect/hope for higher maintenance standards if there was a high-speed link?blink.png

Don't know where you got your information but there is no High speed train to Chiang Mai or plans for it. blink.png The government has talked about building one part way. No plans other than it is only going to be part way and that depends on some one loaning them 2.2 Trillion baht. The rest of the way is not in their plans they figure some business will do the next two stages.

A high-speed line to Chiang Mai is a rumor started by the Government to make it look like they are doing some thing sensible. As I said they have no plans to do it.

Even if they did build one it would not pay it's way as there is hardly any demand to justify that kind of money.

Chiang Mai heads high speed train list

CHIANG MAI, 14 January 2013: Thailand’s Chiang Mai, the main gateway to the country’s northern destinations, will be the first city to gain a high speed train service from Bangkok.

Chiang Mai governor, Thanin Supasaen, said: “The project is expected to be completed in three years.”

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has already approved the high speed railway project called northern land port, which was officially presented to her by the Chiang Mai governor.

Once the project is completed, it will turn Chiang Mai into a transportation and logistics hub for the entire north and strengthen the city’s role as the second largest city after Bangkok.

The rail service is expected to be ready by 2017.

http://www.ttrweekly.com/site/2013/01/chiang-mai-heads-high-speed-train-list/

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't let a minor detail, like a train falling of the rails, spoil the party over the predicted touristrevenue of 2 trillion+ next year! rolleyes.gif

But the dirty beaches, the scams, the killings ?? Mai phen rai ! We are Thai ! The best in the world!

There are much worse train crashes in the UK because of the state of the track. Luckily trains travel more slowly in Thailand. Thailand's not the only country where there are train derailments. Some of you seem to be blind to what happens in your own countries.

What is the bet the foreign tourist will pay hospital bills for this that would be covered everywhere else by the transport company.

Thai interpretation: if foreigner did not come to Thailand this will not happen. Now Foreigner pay or go home!

What an odd twisted fantasy world you live in.

You beat me to it harrry. I have the same question.

Who is going to pay the hospital bill of the foreign tourists? The railway is

operated by the Thai State.

That's exactly why they want (and in the future will require) every farang arriving in Thailand to purchase travel insurance--preferably Thai travel insurance at the border! Of course they will have an indirect hand in the Thai insurance companies, too. Then you cover all the bases and make money in any event.

Don't let a minor detail, like a train falling of the rails, spoil the party over the predicted touristrevenue of 2 trillion+ next year! Posted Image

But the dirty beaches, the scams, the killings ?? Mai phen rai ! We are Thai ! The best in the world!

There are much worse train crashes in the UK because of the state of the track. Luckily trains travel more slowly in Thailand. Thailand's not the only country where there are train derailments. Some of you seem to be blind to what happens in your own countries. 

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/mor_occ_of_rai_tra_or_rai_veh_inj_in_tra_acc-train-vehicle-injured-transport-accident

Uk has four times as much track as Thailand. Have a look at how the deaths compare.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Personally I find all those repeating negative, synical and off topic cliché reactions a very annoying thing on Thaivisa. Why do this frustrated old men want to live here anyway, just for their cheap beer ?

It‘s pathetic to post the same tone of responses in every random topic, this is Thailand and you know it.

Posting your opinion is not obligatory, if you'd think so.

Send from my Asus FONEPAD

So............ when someone states that the track was in need of upgrading... and still they risk peoples lives by still using it, you think it is about cheap beer ......or maybe cheap human life?

• Like 1

Personally I find all those repeating negative, synical and off topic cliché reactions a very annoying thing on Thaivisa. Why do this frustrated old men want to live here anyway, just for their cheap beer ?

It‘s pathetic to post the same tone of responses in every random topic, this is Thailand and you know it.

So............ when someone states that the track was in need of upgrading... and still they risk peoples lives by still using it, you think it is about cheap beer ......or maybe cheap human life?

Well said. Someone who understands stuff. thumbsup.gif

This is nothing compared to the hideous rail crashes that have happened in Australia ( Granville 1977 ), Norway ( Oslo to Trondheim 2000 ) ... and Europe, etc etc in each case KILLING hundreds! Norway with billions of dollars in oil revenue, has done nothing to improve the situation that caused the 2000 crash. Thailand is constantly working on track upgrades. If you have done the Bangkok to Butterworth trip recently, you will know what I am talking about.

This is nothing compared to the hideous rail crashes that have happened in Australia ( Granville 1977 ), Norway ( Oslo to Trondheim 2000 ) ... and Europe, etc etc in each case KILLING hundreds! Norway with billions of dollars in oil revenue, has done nothing to improve the situation that caused the 2000 crash. Thailand is constantly working on track upgrades. If you have done the Bangkok to Butterworth trip recently, you will know what I am talking about.

Yes , I totally agree....But what is disturbing is the fact that someone , obviously with some clout in SRT , knew that there was a maintenance problem with this track that went........mai pen rai....... It will be fixed ..Sometime...Passenger safety should be paramount...

Yes , I totally agree....But what is disturbing is the fact that someone , obviously with some clout in SRT , knew that there was a maintenance problem with this track that went........mai pen rai....... It will be fixed ..Sometime...Passenger safety should be paramount...

Can you imagine someone in Norway ...Australia...saying that they knew Maintenance was needed, and never acted upon it?

State Railway should be privatized because its unable to operate at a profit, it has a poor quality record and it needs a total upgrade of tracks, trains, and traffic system because there is a significant demand in Thailand for rail logistics(to reduce dependence on overpcied trucking costs).

Perhaps you have a point but consider this. Should it become privatized by a local Thai company do you really expect to see an improvement with regard to safety and preventative maintainance. Such disiplines are alien to Thai's as they tend to have a negative impact on the botton line. Just look at the road statistics and you will see that all accidents are based on good and bad Karma. Individual responsibility has no place within the dogma of this cancerous culture. Within Thai mentality accidents simply happen, Mai Pen Rai. The quasi Buddhist philosophy here regards wealth and position as most revered and human life is dirt cheap

No one will buy it, the legacy pensions and benefits are far too large.

The Granville crash was 36 years ago and killed 83. 19 died in the Norwegian crash.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Terrible tragedy , surprised it didnt happen earlier when you see the state of the railways here .... I wish prompt recovery to all injured passenger.

and they want a high speed train, can you imagine the carnage?

Because the combination 'old man from a civilized country' and 'living in Thailand' makes grumpy. A bored live, an uninteresting wife and semi-alcohol addict, the long stay tourists. The young generation expats does way better and they leave on time before all the minor inconveniences gets under their skin.

Towards the end of his life the great Thai Buddhist Ajahn Chah used to like asking people, "If you can't go forwards, you can't go backwards and you can't stand still, where do you go?" (The answer could be Thai Visa Forum ?).

• Like 1

Please try to be a little more accurate and relevant in your sensational claims. 83 people died in the Granville crash, because a ROAD bridge collapsed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granville_rail_disaster

• Like 1

Because the combination 'old man from a civilized country' and 'living in Thailand' makes grumpy. A bored live, an uninteresting wife and semi-alcohol addict, the long stay tourists. The young generation expats does way better and they leave on time before all the minor inconveniences gets under their skin.

Towards the end of his life the great Thai Buddhist Ajahn Chah used to like asking people, "If you can't go forwards, you can't go backwards and you can't stand still, where do you go?" (The answer could be Thai Visa Forum ?).

It could also be DILLIGAF.

Latest news is, the locals keep stealing the bolds that hold down the rails on the sleepers. This is the seventh derailment in 4 months.

When a rails is detached from the sleeper it will slide outwards in a curve, this is perhaps why the train topped over on the inside of the curve.

Some time ago, they were stealing bolts from HV transmission towers, causing one to collapse (sorry, no link) and causing major power problems for BKK.

Can you imagine someone in Norway ...Australia...saying that they knew Maintenance was needed, and never acted upon it?

Cannot imagine it, they have the good sense to keep their mouths shut ! Whistle blowers are not treated kindly in most western countries.

the answer could be "you go off the rails"

• Like 1

Can see it's the Falangs fault from second picture track built for Thais all those overweight foreigners made it topple over.

And then Thais can use their favorite line: "falang, you make pomplem" clap2.gif

Of course this is a problem for underdeveloped Thailand . . this sort of derailment caused by poor track maintenance would never happen in an "advanced" western country like France . .would it ?? whistling.gif

(Pls remind me just how many were killed in recent Paris incident )

Then compare kilometres of track and amount of trains and give us a REAL answer.

The REAL answer is that there must be no excuse for lack of maintenance on any Public transport system in any country, whatever the scale of operation. Any country where such incidents happen has failed its citizens, There is no more excuse in France than in Thailand, or Norway, Australia, China, etc.

• Like 2

Old trains (60yrs +), bad condition, unaccountable government, what can you say. This is another example of Thai government and response- ability. What do you expect from a 3rd world country that is inconsistent and complacent?

Yet old trains are big fun, the older the better, the more they shake the more fun, open windows, open doors... love it ! :)

Or Pattaya

• Like 1

Old trains (60yrs +), bad condition, unaccountable government, what can you say. This is another example of Thai government and response- ability. What do you expect from a 3rd world country that is inconsistent and complacent?

Another "3rd World country" expert.

Thailand is not 3rd world even though some of the characters running it may seem to be.

Accidents happen occasionally. A small town in Quebec was almost wiped off the map recently because of a "railway accident". Canada, another "3rd World country"?

The Bangkok - Chiang Mai trains have carried millions of passengers over the years with relatively few deaths.

Apparently shit happens, even on Thailand's somewhat neglected railway system.

Stay tuned for safer HST coming sometime in the future..

True. Old men who blew up most bridges at home due to immature and dominant behaviour, stuck in a land where they are not respected either, hence the frustration (and the bore).

And you know this because of your own personal experience!!?

• Like 1

New rails are in place ready for upgrading, but if you look at the rail and the pandrol clips which hold it in placethey are completely undamaged, as are all the sleepers. This train has not fallen off/between a spreading rail, otherwise it would still be upright and the rail/sleeper damage would be extensive and obvious to the eye. This train has tipped over completely suggesting high speed round a curve.

Hard to say since no photo shows were it went off. Also, if it was going too fast, why would it go off to the inside of the curve? (second photo)