PayPal makes man a QUADRILLIONAIRE after transferring $92,233,720,368,547,800 into his account

PayPal accidentally makes man a QUADRILLIONAIRE after transferring $92,233,720,368,547,800 into his account
By ANTHONY BOND

Chris Reynolds left shocked after opening his monthly-statement

'I just felt like a million bucks' he said

As a regular PayPal customer, Chris Reynolds spends no more than $100 a month.
So when the 56-year-old checked his balance with the online money-transfer company recently, it was something of a surprise for him to be told he was a quadrillionaire - making him the world's richest man.
Mr Reynolds, from Delaware County, opened his monthly-statement by email on Friday to discover that his balance was a whopping $92,233,720,368,547,800.

Speaking to the New York Daily News, Reynolds said he was taken aback by the figure.
'I'm just feeling like a million bucks' he said. 'At first I thought that I owed quadrillions.'
Mr Reynolds, from Media, has been using PayPal for 10 years and uses it to buy and sell items on eBay, including vintage car parts.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2366557/PayPal-accidentally-makes-man-QUADRILLIONAIRE-transferring-92-233-720-368-547-800-account.html#ixzz2ZJVYPriQ

--Daily Mail 2013-07-17

• Like 1

Same thing happened to me once for a billion dollars, but I quickly transferred it from my PayPal account to my Thai bank. And no, I didn't complain about the low PayPal exchange rate and the 500 baht fee the Thai bank charged me to receive the international transfer. tongue.png

• Like 1

After discovering the mistake, Paypal reversed the payment, froze Mr Reynolds account and kept his money., while in the mean time PayPal spokesman said the company does not discuss customer-account information for privacy reasons.

"Mr Reynolds, from Media, has been using PayPal for 10 years and uses it to buy and sell items on eBay, including vintage car parts"

"Chris Reynolds spends no more than $100 a month."

One wonders what sort of vintage car parts come in at under $100. Floor mats?

Of course if this topic had to do with a Thai bank making an alleged mistake of a few hundred Baht, this thread would be 7 pages long with comments about the superiority of western financial institutions. I guess it's a matter of point-of-view.

• Like 1

Lets put it this way, if the owner of the account was to withdraw the money into his bank account, how would Paypal pay up? they are surely not worth that much, but if the money was "electronic" sort of speak. he could refuse to give back, hire 100 lawyers and keep it in courts for the next 300 years using interest only to pay the legal fees

Paypal should reward him with a few million dollar, because he could have easily put then out of business

Lets put it this way, if the owner of the account was to withdraw the money into his bank account, how would Paypal pay up? they are surely not worth that much, but if the money was "electronic" sort of speak. he could refuse to give back, hire 100 lawyers and keep it in courts for the next 300 years using interest only to pay the legal fees

Paypal should reward him with a few million dollar, because he could have easily put then out of business

As a transfer takes 3 to 5 working days Iam sure Paypal would have noticed the discrepancy before the transaction was completed so I doubt he could have easily put them out of business.

As a transfer takes 3 to 5 working days Iam sure Paypal would have noticed the discrepancy before the transaction was completed so I doubt he could have easily put them out of business.

When I do transfers from my PP account to my Barclay's Bank account its done on-line and within seconds, in fact its immediate. Where do you get this "3 to 5 working days from"?

what you say is correct

but the amount would only appear in his account once the transaction was approved

Imagine life in Thailand with that sort of money

buy walking st

and 90% of all Thai politicians

Pay Pal would never see a Cent returned

When I do transfers from my PP account to my Barclay's Bank account its done on-line and within seconds, in fact its immediate. Where do you get this "3 to 5 working days from"?

I get it from moving money from my Thai Paypal account to my Thai bank account.

Some poor idiot at Paypal will lose their job over this. Similar thing happened in NZ a few years ago - a bank officer accidentally loaded a $10,000-00 overdraft as $10,000,000-00 for a Chinese couple living in NZ.

They transferred most of the $10m overseas and then skipped the country and went on a gambling spree in Macau. They got nabbed in the end - weren't smart enough to keep a low profile and disappear.

PayPal accidentally makes man a QUADRILLIONAIRE after transferring $92,233,720,368,547,800 into his account

Isn't that about the same amount that the Bangkok cabbie returned to that Dutch tourist last week? whistling.gif

• Like 1

I get it from moving money from my Thai Paypal account to my Thai bank account.

OK, that makes sense then, the Thai system must be quite different. I have a US PayPal account linked to a UK Bank account when I click on the transfer button in my PayPal the money is transferred pretty much at Warp One. (Speed of Light) I know this because I have made a transfer to that bank and straight away spent it with my Barclays Visa debit card if the money hadn't transferred then the second transaction would be refused. (but it doesn't)

I use Paypal and have a Paypal debit card. I'm an honest guy but I would have still run to an ATM and taken out my own "service fee" before Paypal recognized their mistake. :) Long ago on one of those payphones that uses cards, I put mine in and instead of a $2 balance I had something like $300. I thought it was a mistake, removed my card and put it back in. Balance? $2. Hmmm, maybe I should have made that call back home first. So, now I'm ready for the next electronic gaffe in my favor.

My wife set up a online shopping site here in Thailand. Someone in the US tried to purchase one of her products using PayPal express

and the wife recieved a message stating that PayPal does not ship to the US. (?) In her email notifications from PayPal it read Address not valid "PayPal could not recognise the address and zipcode". The wife contacted the customer in the US to confirm her address again. Big hassle in the end. Has anyone ever heard or experienced this from PayPal?

He might have been able to move a few thousand out to his own bank account - it would depend on the thresholds before someone has to manually sign off on the transfer, and it can't just be approved by the computer system.

A million - maybe if he'd been a big seller, they might have had an automatic threshold high enough, but he wasn't a big seller, so it would be extremely doubtful he'd be able to take out that much even....

A billion or more - not a chance in hell that nobody would have to approve the transfer out, so it simply wouldn't happen (without an insider also involved in a fraud scheme to manually approve the transaction).

Some poor idiot at Paypal will lose their job over this. Similar thing happened in NZ a few years ago - a bank officer accidentally loaded a $10,000-00 overdraft as $10,000,000-00 for a Chinese couple living in NZ.

They transferred most of the $10m overseas and then skipped the country and went on a gambling spree in Macau. They got nabbed in the end - weren't smart enough to keep a low profile and disappear.

I think that 'poor idiot' will get a bonus for 'accidentilly' (for as far as marketing is accidentilly) causing the best marketing stunt of the year.