Witch Doctor convicted of murder of Thai-Danish woman

webfact

Witch Doctor convicted of murder of Thai-Danish woman
BY GREGERS MØLLER

BANGKOK: -- The Appeals Court in Thailand on Monday sentenced a Thai witch doctor to six years in prison for the murder of Duangsamorn, who had lived in Denmark over twenty years before she in 2011 went back on New Years Eve.

The provincial court of Samitprakarn had last year dismissed the case against the witch doctor because the prosecutors crown witnesses – Duangsamorn’s parents – had made too many conflicting statements about what happened during Duangsamorn’s last few tragic days, where she was tortured to death.

Cause of death was according to the autopsy violent beating of her body causing a broken rib bone to rupture her liver. But according to ScandAsia’s research immediately after the killing, the beating was likely not by the witch doctor. The police report from the crime scene was done by Duangsamorn’s parents son-in-law. A doctor, who had examined the victim two days before was never heard. And the financial element was never investigated.

Read the first account of the bizarre case here: http://scandasia.com/10816-murder-case-dismissed-in-killing-of-thai-woman-from-denmark/

After the provincial court last year ruled that the witch doctor had not caused her death, the prosecutor appealed the court. After the conviction on Monday 15 July this year, the frail witch doctor was put in hand cuffs and taken away.

The case will now be appealed to the last court for a final verdict, which will likely take another five years. Meanwhile, the witch doctor will remain in remand prison, unless the family can raise 400.000 THB, which is the bail set by the court. His daughter appeals for help from Duangsamorn’s friends in Denmark to raise this amount. She can be reached through me, Gregers Moller – [email protected]

Source: http://scandasia.com/witch-doctor-convicted-of-murder-of-thai-danish-woman/

-- ScandAsia 2013-07-18

Imagine that in today's " thoroughly modern " Thailand the expression witch doctor is being used.

Imagine also that in today's "thoroughly modern" Thailand The case will now be appealed to the last court for a final verdict, which will likely take another five years.

• Like 1

Imagine that in today's " thoroughly modern " Thailand the expression witch doctor is being used.

Imagine also that in today's "thoroughly modern" Thailand The case will now be appealed to the last court for a final verdict, which will likely take another five years.

Thailand's " we'll get around to it " attitude.

• Like 1

I'm imagining! Also imagining the prosecution using astral charts for a good day in court.......................rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Bottom line?

Another example of a horribly evil family treating there daughter like a possession. Nasty retarded evil morons. Disgusting.

You don't need enemies in Thailand when you have a family like that. Where the fuc_k does that culture come from??? Aren't you supposed to love and encourage your children?

Beats me......I don't understand this dynamic. I really don't understand it.

• Like 1

Why's no one bashing the questionable English from the reporter? Oh, that's right...he's not Thai.

I , for ones, was too disgusted by the FACTS presented in the story, to care about the English- skills.

You know facts, don't you?!

The stuff Thai- journalists most likely don't care for, mix them up AND write them in bad English!

Yep and if the author of this article was Thai, you'd be complaining your ass off.

Nothing done by a Thai is good, right? You only have to stay in this country 'cuz you gotta, right?

• Like 2

Blether, apply western logic to eastern culture does not work..........sit back, relax and enjoy the circus.

Yup, it's interesting to watch but stories like this, my gawd.

incidentally note I didn't specify Thai families, there's plenty of examples of daughters being treated like this through many cultures, honour killings and the like elsewhere.

This is not only a Thai issue.

• Like 1

Why's no one bashing the questionable English from the reporter? Oh, that's right...he's not Thai.

He's not English either or a native English speaker as far as I know. I'm assuming he's Scandinavian. He probably writes in English as Scandasia is for Scandinavians in Asia and English is probably a common second language between them and of course the woman was Thai- Danish so it's of interest to Scandinavians in Asia.

Actually I didn't think the English was too bad and certainly there was nothing that would cause misinterpretation which is I agree a problem sometimes. I don't normally complain if it's obvious the writer isn't a native English speaker. There's enough bad English from native speakers anyway that is far worse than this.

I don't normally complain if it's obvious the writer isn't a native English speaker

Apparently 'Why's' isn't a proper word although I would have thought it was OK so I've learnt something at least.

I'm sure his English will improve in the 5 years it's going to take for the appeal.

Edited by kimamey

Apparently 'Why's' isn't a proper word although I would have thought it was OK so I've learnt something at least.

I'm sure his English will improve in the 5 years it's going to take for the appeal.

Looks like "why's" is OK after all.

See:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/_/dict.aspx?word=why's

R21

PS It's the last item on the page.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

After reading the link in the OP (the second one) I can't see how the "witch doctor" has taken the blame for what happened here. Yes, I realize it is a media report by an individual, but the circumstantial evidence before the involvement of the "witch doctor" and the conflicting descriptions of the poor girls state of mind, need to be, IMHO, re-examined.

Without meaning to express wild speculation, it would appear to me that she was being drugged in some way, possibly to reveal where the house deeds and money were.

A very, very sad story indeed.

See:

R21

Strange it shows up as incorrect on my computer and in my Oxford English dictionary but as I said I thought it was OK. Might be more American.

Actually coming back to read this has meant I've read the reports a bit better than I did before as I was busy then. This seems even more sad and complicated than I first thought.

Edited by kimamey

Interesting to see in Thailand that killing people for money is not limited to Thai girls killing farangs. But doing that to their own daughter is simply beyond belief. Reading between the lines, sounds like she was beaten to reveal the location of the money she brought, or the location of the title deed. I have decided I no longer wish to understand " Thainess" ,as it appears to be a pretty harsh world. Also appears the monk was setup by the police son in law of the parents as a fall guy. Reading this story makes me want to puke. Amazing Thailand indeed...... Well, hopefully a member of the rose colored glasses brigade can use google to come up with a similar story in a western country, which will mitigate this story. Or will it.. ??

Edited by EyesWideOpen
  • Like 2

For once we get a thorough and detailed report of events, from a professional reporter, who has been living here for decades, is fluent in Thai and who has actually bothered to investigated the case, instead of just repeating whatever the police told him, and you complain about his english skills - which btw as far as I can see are just fine, and way above average anyway??

See:

R21

Strange it shows up as incorrect on my computer and in my Oxford English dictionary but as I said I thought it was OK. Might be more American.

Actually coming back to read this has meant I've read the reports a bit better than I did before as I was busy then. This seems even more sad and complicated than I first thought.

Why's it wrong? It's OK, that's for sure. What's the difference?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...