Thai Daughter Family Dynamic.....

theblether

There's a horrific story on the news thread today ( Witch Doctor ) which boils down to evil parents arranging for their daughter to be tortured. Now that story is exceptional in it's depravity. It's unbelievable that anyone would treat their daughter like that.

Setting that to the side, I am aware that there is a high level of expectation laid by parents on their daughters. Can someone explain that family dynamic?

Let's say there are three daughters, is the expectation the same for the three of them or does it mainly fall on the older daughter?

In that same example, does the oldest daughter inherit everything or is it split?

So many more questions, but that would be a start. What is expected of Thai daughters, and what do they get in return.

Daughters are expected to be second place to the sons. Son can do what he wants and daughter will always be expected to look after the parent/parents, whatever the financial situation of the family.

If rich not monartery wise but be there for the parents. Family business etc.

Edited by arthurwait

There are two ways to do it and I am truly convinced. Send the pretty ones to work in a bar. OR find a farang and get a ton of sin sod.

Or both.

Sorry to be so jaded, but I have found it impossible to get to know a Thai woman without the subject of sin sod coming up long before any mention of marriage.

There are two ways to do it and I am truly convinced. Send the pretty ones to work in a bar. OR find a farang and get a ton of sin sod.

Or both.

Sorry to be so jaded, but I have found it impossible to get to know a Thai woman without the subject of sin sod coming up long before any mention of marriage.

The pretty girls in Thailand go nowhere near bars to work especially farang ones.

If you mean less ugly poverty stricken country girls then yes maybe you are right.

I have always been led to believe it is down to the youngest daughter because the older ones have already helped out - with the younger ones education etc.

On the other hand that may have been said because the younger daugters have wanted some extra funds clap2.gif

Traditionally it was the youngest daughter who hadd the responsibility of caring for the framily and in return inherited all the land. It is only fairly recently that the land came to be divided between people. Thailand was a matriachal society with an agricultural base and this helped preserve the land holdings intact rather than them being reduced in size to an unsustainable level as happens now.

• Like 1

My wife the youngest daughter in the family looked after her mother while she was alive, but that may of been because she was married to me and had more money than the rest of the family. Although I have heard that it is the youngest daughter's responsibility to look after the family.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks very much, right seems to be that the youngest daughter is responsible, under the traditional system she would inherit the land, and I take it the older daughters would be married off and have to leave the house?

Thanks very much, right seems to be that the youngest daughter is responsible, under the traditional system she would inherit the land, and I take it the older daughters would be married off and have to leave the house?

About right...the older brothers would probably have provided the labor...but have no real rights.