Phuket father files assault charges against son's teachers

webfact

they must have a book with rules and fines

slap on the hand : 100 b

with blood : 300 b

slap on the face : 500 b

with blood or fingers clearly on face : 1000 b

% for police = 50 % of takings

The problem is that you are living in a country where corporate punishment is the norm and not the exception.

As a teacher i would be willing to be that everything else had been attempted to get the kid inline and he had not gotten with the program.

Negotiation is the way to go here as there are issues that probably could resolve this at home. For instance Dad telling his kid to smarten up and get with the program so that teachers do not have to punish him.

If the child behaves then there is no need to punish. I am sure a girl hitting him would not be the issue and there is no mention of how hard the kid was hit on the head.

Remember folks that are from the US. Sometimes it is the kids fault do not start to blame everyone else if your kid is a pain in the ass. Be happy your kid is not in a school that has bamboo.

The ombudsman that made the change before did nothing that tells me therr is a lot we are missing.

So you`re saying that it`s ok to beat a kid who doesn`t behave? Please tell us where you teach so I can keep my kids away from there.

There is a big difference between giving a kid a tap on the ass if they misbehave and beating a child.

Have you ever thought that there may be an issue with the kid pushing things. As to where i teach it really does not matter most schools in thailand have corporal punishment.

Is it right I am gong to agree that it is not. however, it is also not right that no matter what the kid does he gets a pass to the next year.

Would you rather that your child which i am sure is as pure as the driven snow is not allowed to learn because this student has decided that they do not want to learn and would rather disrupt the class?

I think not.

There is an old adage that if you do the Crime you must do the time.

The kids know what happens if they push things to the extreme. This is not something that just happens on a whim.

If anyone has an idea that would work better please suggest it to the powers that be and to your child's teacher.

The one i liked with my daughter was send me a note in her journal that she was a problem and I would deal with it.

Unfortunately you cannot expect parents that have a feeling of entitlement to do anything.

The root of it all, I think, is something you said: I quote you: "There is a big difference between giving a kid a tap on the ass if they misbehave and beating a child."

I believe that this was a topic about a father who believes that his sons teachers are beating him, not just giving him a tap on his ass.

I am painfully aware that here where I live the teachers use thin bamboo sticks to hit the children on their fingers and the back of their hands, backs and asses, even the back of their thighs sometimes, if they misbehave or haven't done their homework. But I would go absolutely ballistic if I had a child come home from school bleeding from somewhere due to a teacher or with a head injury.

And I don`t care if it`s the norm here, I would absolutely tear the school down with my own two hands.

OK I would help you tear down the school

• Like 1

1960'S Toronto, Holy Name Catholic School teacher hit me so hard I went over the other side of the desk. My father threatened the school with police action if this ocurred again.

Yeah, my dad wouldn't have tolerated any physical punishment toward his kids from a teacher. But that's not the whole story. He was a former teacher himself, and went out of his way to let our teachers know during those parent-teacher conferences that ANY misbehavior should be reported to HIM. And HE'D take care of it. And trust me, he would have (and on the very rare occasion, did...)! Unfortunately, today's parents don't seem to have that same level of involvement in their kids' education - which is equal parts sad and recipe for failure IMO.

Edited by hawker9000
  • Like 2

1960'S Toronto, Holy Name Catholic School teacher hit me so hard I went over the other side of the desk. My father threatened the school with police action if this ocurred again.

Yeah, my dad wouldn't have tolerated any physical punishment toward his kids from a teacher. But that's not the whole story. He was a former teacher himself, and went out of his way to let our teachers know during those parent-teacher conferences that ANY misbehavior should be reported to HIM. And HE'D take care of it. And trust me, he would have (and on the very rare occasion, did...)! Unfortunately, today's parents don't seem to have that same level of involvement in their kids' education - which is equal parts sad and recipe for failure IMO.

Same with me. I can remember my father asking the principal if he had a strap and knew how to use it. My Dad's comment was not to worry about me complaining to him if it was justified.

When I went to my daughters school it was the same thing. She was up and around the class not paying attention not dong her work and failing Phys Ed.

The teachers were surprised when I gave them shit for putting up with her Bull.

When I asked them what they were doing they said they asked her nicely. When I told them not to be nice and tell her to sit her ass down or they would let me know everything changed. Same with Phys Ed.

When i went home I told daughter that I had given the teachers shit because they were not toeing the line with her. She thought it was great until the next day when she found out what the new deal was.

Parents need to discipline their kids at home in order for them to understand what is required at school and in the real world. To be honest parent teacher nights at Thai schools would not be a bad thing. At least teachers would know who gives a crap about their kids.

• Like 1

Same with me. I can remember my father asking the principal if he had a strap and knew how to use it. My Dad's comment was not to worry about me complaining to him if it was justified.

When I went to my daughters school it was the same thing. She was up and around the class not paying attention not dong her work and failing Phys Ed.

The teachers were surprised when I gave them shit for putting up with her Bull.

When I asked them what they were doing they said they asked her nicely. When I told them not to be nice and tell her to sit her ass down or they would let me know everything changed. Same with Phys Ed.

When i went home I told daughter that I had given the teachers shit because they were not toeing the line with her. She thought it was great until the next day when she found out what the new deal was.

Parents need to discipline their kids at home in order for them to understand what is required at school and in the real world. To be honest parent teacher nights at Thai schools would not be a bad thing. At least teachers would know who gives a crap about their kids.

Discipline at HOME?! Tsk, tsk, tsk. A parent who goes much beyond a "timeout" or 10 mins without playstation can probably expect a visit from Hillary Clinton's global village child abuse police. C'mon - we must be more progressive! Children running around like banshees in the classroom are expressing themselves, and must be nurtured!! Discipline pretty much means hard time these days...

• Like 1

IMO lack of disipline ,both at school and at home is not far behind politics and religion in causing/creating major problems worldwide.

Its very obvious by observation of the behaviour of a lot of the precious brats out and about and "running around like banshees in the classroom are expressing themselves, and must be nurtured !! " bah.gif

There has to be a line drawn in the sand and that's not to be crossed without suffering some form of consequences.

IMO lack of disipline ,both at school and at home is not far behind politics and religion in causing/creating major problems worldwide.

Its very obvious by observation of the behaviour of a lot of the precious brats out and about and "running around like banshees in the classroom are expressing themselves, and must be nurtured !! " bah.gif

There has to be a line drawn in the sand and that's not to be crossed without suffering some form of consequences.

You must be from MY generation. 'Seems there are no "lines" anymore. Everything is relative now. No consequences, no "failure"; only "understanding", "tolerance", "empathy". Under those circumstance, it's a wonder kids learn how to write their own names anymore. Apparently their reading & writing skills don't extend much beyond that though.

To be clear - actual violence or abuse on kids by teachers, or any adult, IS intolerable, and that deserves to be an absolute. But that doesn't mean teachers should have no recourse when kids misbehave in school, or that parents don't have a very serious responsibility to impose discipline on their own children. What do you suppose might happen if misbehaving kids were suspended from school, and the parents had to pay a fee to reinstate them after the suspension? (Also, a list of suspendees would be permanently posted on a school bulletin board somewhere...)

But I know, I'm living in the past...

• Like 1