Overdue Motorbike Registration

FlashCard

I bought a repo motorbike in December 2007 with registration and insurance at a shop which is now out of business, and since then I’ve neglected to register it again so the book shows no registration from 2008 to the present. Now I want to sell the bike or trade it in for a new one but dealers tell me that I have to bring the book up to date first. What is the easiest way to accomplish that and how much will it cost? Any information will be appreciated.

You have to take the bike to your local DLT (Departement of Land Transport).

Where do you live?

The bike will have to undergo some technical checkup as the bike is older than 5 years (nothing to worry about).

You will have to pay tax/insurance from 2008 up to now incl. late payment fine (interest).

Tax and mandatory insurance for a (small) bike are quite low, but I really can not make up the balance.

(tax is a 100 Baht/year)

Best idea: first go to the DLT with the book and get the details.

Edited by KhunBENQ

My previous post might be misunderstood.

The bike as such has not to be taken to the DLT, only the book.

The "technical inspection" will be done at one of the many repair shops with this sign:

(always a couple of them close the DLT offices)

car-.jpg

Homepage of the DLT (Thai only), print it out and people will know what you are looking for.

http://www.dlt.go.th/th/index.php

Edited by KhunBENQ

You have to take the bike to your local DLT (Departement of Land Transport).

Where do you live?

The bike will have to undergo some technical checkup as the bike is older than 5 years (nothing to worry about).

You will have to pay tax/insurance from 2008 up to now incl. late payment fine (interest).

Tax and mandatory insurance for a (small) bike are quite low, but I really can not make up the balance.

(tax is a 100 Baht/year)

Best idea: first go to the DLT with the book and get the details.

Thanks for the reply ... I live in Pattaya Jomtien Beach Chonburi ...

Do I go to the DLT office with the book first, or go to an inspection shop first and then to the DLT?

Thanks

The back license/insurance and late fees may be more than the bike is worth.

I bought the wife's family a repo motorcycle (registered in her name) about 5 years ago and no license fees were paid after that. When the bike was involved in a wreck the police got involved and the back license/insurance and late charges were 51,000 baht. It may be better to sell it any way that you can.

I bought the wife's family a repo motorcycle (registered in her name) about 5 years ago and no license fees were paid after that. When the bike was involved in a wreck the police got involved and the back license/insurance and late charges were 51,000 baht. It may be better to sell it any way that you can.

Perhaps it was because you were driving without any tax or insurance?

OP: Don't worry about it,BENQ is correct, I'd be shocked if you had to pay more than 1000b total.

Perhaps it was because you were driving without any tax or insurance?

OP: Don't worry about it,BENQ is correct, I'd be shocked if you had to pay more than 1000b total.

???

That's what I said. The OP said that he had not registered it after the original purchase. Isn't registration/license the same as tax/insurance?

And I was not driving: A family member was driving.

The OP said that he had not registered it after the original purchase. Isn't registration/license the same as tax/insurance?

No, thats not what the topic starter wrote.

The bike was purchased and registered/licensed/insured (for the first year).

After that he missed to pay tax and insurance for the following years.

Legally it is clear that it brings you in trouble if you are caught DRIVING with such a vehicle and even more if you have an ACCIDENT.

Will cost an extra fine for sure.

Not so much different from western countries, except there the office will follow up on non payers (put vehicle/license nr on a search list etc.), which is not the case in Thailand.

Registration (creating a new green book) and yearly tax/insurance are legally separate topics.

I am not sure whether one can go to the technical inspection before or after updating the book.

Although the inspection is a precondition for a new license/tax sticker (with update of the book).

Edited by KhunBENQ

I bought the wife's family a repo motorcycle (registered in her name) about 5 years ago and no license fees were paid after that.  When the bike was involved in a wreck the police got involved and the back license/insurance and late charges were 51,000 baht.  It may be better to sell it any way that you can.

I have an old bike that has lapsed registration of about 4 years. Dlt said only 'a couple of thousand' to bring it up to date.

51k seems well over the top or was liability for the accident included in that?

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I bought the wife's family a repo motorcycle (registered in her name) about 5 years ago and no license fees were paid after that.  When the bike was involved in a wreck the police got involved and the back license/insurance and late charges were 51,000 baht.  It may be better to sell it any way that you can.

I have an old bike that has lapsed registration of about 4 years. Dlt said only 'a couple of thousand' to bring it up to date.

The OP said that he had not registered it after the original purchase. Isn't registration/license the same as tax/insurance?

No, thats not what the topic starter wrote.

The bike was purchased and registered/licensed/insured (for the first year).

After that he missed to pay tax and insurance for the following years.

Legally it is clear that it brings you in trouble if you are caught DRIVING with such a vehicle and even more if you have an ACCIDENT.

Will cost an extra fine for sure.

Not so much different from western countries, except there the office will follow up on non payers (put vehicle/license nr on a search list etc.), which is not the case in Thailand.

Registration (creating a new green book) and yearly tax/insurance are legally separate topics.

I am not sure whether one can go to the technical inspection before or after updating the book.

Although the inspection is a precondition for a new license/tax sticker (with update of the book).

Yes, I understand that registration at the time of purchase and the annual license/insurance are separate events. If I did not state the precious sentence correctly I am sure you will straighten my misconception(s) out for me.

I was told that overdue licensing fees can add up. The family of the boy that was driving the motorbike were supposed to take care of these expenses and did not. There is a 20% per month addition to the fees. We are in the process of finding out who owes what.

This motorbike has about 4 years of unpaid license fees. It was a used repo Suzuki Shogun 125 in new condition. It had only 1600 km on it when we bought it (from a dealer) and it only cost 23000tb. They must lose about half of their value when they are first registered. At 5 years old a motorcycle cannot be worth a lot.