Phrae derailment typical of train accidents in Thailand

webfact

Phrae Derailment Typical Of Train Accidents In Thailand
By Khaosod Online

train.jpg

Scene of derailment in Phrae province, 17 July. Over 30 people, many of them foreigners, were seriously hurt by the incident

BANGKOK: -- Over 30 passengers, mostly foreign tourists, were seriously injured when their train derailed in the northern, mountainous province of Phrae earlier this week.

The train, which was carrying around 290 passengers, derailed in the night of 17 July as it was travelling in Denchai district. The rescue workers managed to remove the 7 fallen train compartments and cleared the busy Chiang Mai - Bangkok rail a day later. The cause of the accident is still pending investigation.

The incident was widely reported - including by some international news outlets - perhaps due to the fact that so many injured passengers were foreign tourists, but it is merely the latest addition to the long list of train accidents in the kingdom.

Just earlier this month, on 1 July, a train fell off its track near a train depot in Bangkok. Fortunately, no one was hurt as the train had already dropped off all passengers before the accident happened. The engineers said a flawed mechanism at the train junction caused the train to derail.

9 days later, another train carrying 800,000 litre of crude oil derailed as it was leaving an oil storage which belongs to the state-owned PTT Company in Klong Toey district of Bangkok. Since the train was an industrial vehicle, no passenger was injured by the accident.

There are conflicting reports about the the cause of the derailment. While the train engineers insisted that the soil around the rail track that was soaked with rain after a night of thunderstorm caused the accident, the national rail authority disputed that report and launched a separate investigation.

A passenger train also derailed on 5 April near Vibhavadi Road in northern suburb of Bangkok. 4 passengers were injured by the crash, including a pregnant woman. Initial investigation points to the rail track that becomes overheated and expanded by summer weather.

It should be noted that railway system in Thailand is very limited and poorly maintained. The system mostly employed diesel trains that would have been displayed in museum in some countries. No major extension nor overhaul of the railway has been completed for several decades now. [more...]

Full story: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNM05ESXlOakUzT0E9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-07-19

what is everybody here wining about that if they make a highspeed rail

the bloody thing is still in paper only

and if they are ever gonna built one , it is a complete new project ,not using the old rails and no intersections

and if they are ever gonna built one , it is a complete new project ,not using the old rails and no intersections

All it says on paper is lets build some high speed railroads that will be a good reason to borrow 2.2 Trillion baht.

Lets see now 30% of 2.2 trillion baht is sad.pngsad.pngsad.pngsad.pngsad.pngsad.pngsad.pngsad.png Got it 660 Billion Baht. That should cover costs for new limos now that they expect us to pay tax and import duty on them.whistling.gif

• Like 2

Thai governments in general and this one in particular love grandiose schemes whether it be just talk or an excuse to borrow money and generally fiddle the books.

I nearly forgot the big budget committees and overseas " study " trips

At first it surprised me that obviously most of the train passengers were foreign tourists, though it is low season. But trains being slow and invariably coping with delays, Thai people who cannot afford to drive/fly will tend to take the bus.

Analysis correct: the Thai railway system is a museum piece, and a dangerous one at that.

Solutions incorrect: the Hopewell project had nothing to do with updating the system, and the current high-speed trains idea is totally ridiculous, like trying to run before you can even walk.

Solution correct: upgrading to a twin-track express train system of European 1980s standards.

• Like 2

They couldn't possibly use the old tracks, as the rail system in Thailand is narrow gauge, and a high-speed rail system needs something much more stable altogether.

Looking at the overturned train, the gauge is so narrow, the carriages here must have an extremely high centre of gravity, so it's no wonder they keep derailing.

I also note that the camber on that portion of the track is quite severe, thereby adding to the centre of gravity problem.

Edited by GeorgeO

They better don't build it! And it is better to cry foul while that expensive white elephant is still in paper.

The high speed train is a racket where politicians and contractors will benefit, like in Spain where it was built but is so expensive that barely anyone can afford it.

It is more rational and urgent for Thailand that the average trains be upgraded and developed.

At first it surprised me that obviously most of the train passengers were foreign tourists, though it is low season. But trains being slow and invariably coping with delays, Thai people who cannot afford to drive/fly will tend to take the bus.

no no suprise, tourists mainly euros like trains and think it will be really neat way to travel in Thailand. Instead they find its pretty dire, and that not when an accident happens just general state of cars, seats, toilet facilities and on top of that, double the price of riding a bus. Check out the trains sometime - you'll find its true, both about tourists riding them and state of the cars in general.

• Like 1

Thai governments in general and this one in particular love grandiose schemes whether it be just talk or an excuse to borrow money and generally fiddle the books.

I nearly forgot the big budget committees and overseas " study " trips

"I nearly forgot the big budget committees and overseas " study " shopping trips"

Analysis correct: the Thai railway system is a museum piece, and a dangerous one at that.

Solutions incorrect: the Hopewell project had nothing to do with updating the system, and the current high-speed trains idea is totally ridiculous, like trying to run before you can even walk.

Solution correct: upgrading to a twin-track express train system of European 1980s standards.

Any particular reason for the 1980 standards. Are they is such a bad condition that it would be impossible to do any better with out a complete rebuild of the trains and rails?

For those of you who only source their news from TV forum, they had fairly detailed coverage of the 'accident' on Thai television the same evening.

They interviewed someone who explained that the old wood ties (sleepers for some of you) had 'recently' been replaced with concrete ties, but that the new concrete ties were not good enough. Then they had video footage of the concrete ties having been fractured and, in some cases, crushed into gravel where the rail sat on the ties.

We watched as they replaced some of the concrete ties with wood ties - they simply slid the pieces of concrete out from under the rail, dug the hole a little larger, for the larger ,wood ties and slid the wood tie under the rail. I saw no sign of any attachment of the rail to either the broken concrete tie or the replacement wood tie - perhaps that detail had been edited out of the video.

I'm still shaking my head in disbelief.

Although I always have been aware of the poor condition of Thai railways and its trains, I used to take the 'sleeper' from Chiang Mai to Bangkok a number of times, just because of the adventureous atmosphere hanging around the happening.

I agree with the writer when he states that a lot of their material would be displayed in a museum in other parts of the world. Indeed, after riding their tracks so many times already, one barely can't deny Thai railways lacks high level maintenance. The reason behind it might be a mix of incompetence and the general attitude towards every facet in Thai society.

However, the contrast can't be stronger when looking at the Bangkok skytrain and their metro counterpart.

I do welcome the idea of constructing a high speed train crossing the country but it worries me a lot looking at the current situation of their railway infrastructure and the lack of maintenance and/or competence.

Thailand never built up any experience with a nationwide electrified railway system and now the want a high speed train ? They are just starting to learn what it takes with their electrified line from Suvarnabhumi Airport to Bangkok and I'm sure they have enough intelligence to do it nationwide, but at this time I'm pretty confident stating they lack the compentence to do it for a HST. Wouldn't it for the general benefit if they take their current railway system, infrastructure and materials to a higher level and start electrifying their entire grid, use modern electric trains while building a HST track and network ?

Come on guys, trains aren't just toys for grown up men.

As long as the majority here continues to hide themself behind karma whenever 'bad' things happen, without doubt, more lives will be at stake.

It's a good thing that trains move at a snail's pace here, or maybe there would have been a lot more injuries. I would think very seriously before getting on a Thai high speed railway.

Don't worry, "thinking seriously about it" is about as far as anyone alive today will ever get!