Moving back to Thailand with my 6m baby

Hey mums and dads,

Iv lived in the islands for a few years now but returned to my home to have my baby and will be returning to Thailand when he is 6 months old.

I will be arriving in monsoon (not the best time but we have no choice with our business we need to be there)

I am worried about Mosquitos, catching taxis without carseats and pushing a pram past stray dogs.

What do you do for Mosquitos with your baby?

Is there anything you wish you had known in hind sight with your babies or children in Thailand?

What are some common difficulties that you find just so I can prepare myself.

Thank you so much I appreciate any replies.

• 2 weeks later...

Ours slept in a cot that came with a net for mozzies. Bought from Tescos around a thousand baht. Then we also used 1 of those mozzie nets like an umbrella style for when she slept outside. Another thing to consider perhaps is our daughter hated eating the Thai cerealac. Although it was the same nestle brand used here in Australia, ours ate another brand in oz. Tesco Thailand only had 1 brand and she gagged her way through it poor kid. So consider enough of babies back home food to start mixing in with Thai food to get them used to it slowly. The fruit and veg purees was no problem, same as Australia. I also found her bum wipes more expensive in Thailand, for the record.:D

I agree hate the dogs so much and am not looking forward to them, we got a good pram for walking but have decided I am not interested in walking past a dog every 30metres with baby.

Did you ever get any extra vaccinations for your little one?

Thanks so much for the reply I have two months to get organised.

This is how it went for my 6month old, here in Australia babies get their 6month old injections. I wasn't there when she had them so not sure what they were but it was 2 needles in each leg. You could Google it to compare to your home country I suppose. I then rang a travel doctor here who specialize in travel vaccinations and they said she doesn't need any just watch mosquitos and people who want to hold baby with coughs. Particularly the elderly coughing. Think it was TB the doctor was talking about. Still, I'd say check with your doctor before going.

My son had his bcg vaccination before we came over when he was 7 months. As for mosquitos, got a small net that I put over the pram if we were somewhere there's a lot. Used to hate getting a taxi if there were no belts, usually one in the front tho so I'd just put him in the front and pray til it was over! Bought a small parasol and fan which attached to the pram which were great too

Sent from my HTC Desire using Thaivisa Connect App

using a pram or buggy on the sidewalks here is virtually impossible.we only used ours in parks or shopping malls..taxis are problematic when you have a small one but are a fact of life in thai..or u could drive your own car..

Sent from my Vodafone Smart II using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

using a pram or buggy on the sidewalks here is virtually impossible.we only used ours in parks or shopping malls..taxis are problematic when you have a small one but are a fact of life in thai..or u could drive your own car..

Sent from my Vodafone Smart II using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yep, this exactly. The pram is pointless on sidewalks here. If you plan on getting around on foot, you're gonna need a front carrier, like the Baby Bjorn types. Otherwise, get used to saying 'cha cha' from the backseat of taxis. Hold tight but don't put the baby in the seat belt with you.

Some other thoughts:

A gentle fan and net will keep the mozzies away.

If breastfeeding in public, locals typically go for a poncho type thing. There's a lot more options on breast pumps and baby stuff in general back home, rather than in Thailand.

Kid's clothes in Thailand aren't great. Especially for boys for some reason. Buy before you arrive.

Commercial baby food can be expensive here, but vegetables and rice gruel are cheap.

If you're planning any trips back home, sneak it in before before baby turns 2, when airfares jump up to almost adult prices.