Farang food cart?

frankwhite

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can a farang own and work a mobile food cart??

The vast majority of the Thai authorities, let alone the general populace, don't have the first clue about regulations for foreigners and therefore don't care.

I can assure you that if there is a chance to nail a foreigner, the authorities will wise up real fast.

It's a well known fact that technically even volunteer work or work from home & only w. foreign customers requires a wp in Thailand. You can bet your bum that running a food cart for all to see requires one.

• Like 1

What's wrong with that? Farang salad's a great name. Unless it's composed predominantly of guavas. In which case, it's not all that clever.

I might get myself one of these carts. I'll call it seedaa salad. Wouldn't want to infringe on farang salad's name.

Chrischronic, many thanks for the great video clip. Thoroughly enjoyed it and what a delight to see a Farang who both speaks such good Thai and has clearly integrated himself into the society. Good man, albeit a bit of a "cheeky chappie".wai.gif

• Like 1

If the guy in the video doesn't mind the Bangkok Post making a feature on him, one would assume either - crazy - or - has a legitimate means be it a work permit or other means due to his marriage to a Thai National.

• Like 1

Dangerous for a westerner to work on a foodcart, you can be shot by a jealous local any moment.

Please, when listing methods by which attacks may be conducted, do not neglect to include machetes, knives, or blades of any kind. Thank you.

Saw the guy on my recent visit. Farang selling fruit salad cups from a push cart (not even a motorized one). Saw him around Suk 4.

Also saw another farang going through garbage bags looking for cans!!!!

So, do you need a Work Permit before you start to sift through garbage bags??? What if they were your own garbage bags and you think you may have mistakenly chucked out your Genuine Rolex???

Work permit for food cart ? Do you know what you are talking about ?

Thats what im trying to figure out.

Empire strikes back. Trade war between UK and Thailand using Cockney barrow boys as the front line.

Edited by Netizen
  • Like 1

I think that farang guy selling yam wun sen in Chinatown is nuts. I cant imagine standing out in the sun, over the heat for hours, to make what? a 1,000 Baht a day?

On the youtube clip says he makes 100 bowls a day at 40B each .. When asked about profit he says a lot.

So lets assume he makes between 2000-3000B a day.

I think that farang guy selling yam wun sen in Chinatown is nuts. I cant imagine standing out in the sun, over the heat for hours, to make what? a 1,000 Baht a day?

On the youtube clip says he makes 100 bowls a day at 40B each .. When asked about profit he says a lot.

So lets assume he makes between 2000-3000B a day.

He does better than a Ferang Teacher then.

I remember the old bloke in Patong early 2000's that used to go around the bars selling Cornish Pasties out of a food box - think he used to do a roaring trade some years back. So this bloke is not the first to be hawking food on the move.

Interesting. His wife says they can sell more when he prepares the food. Not sure if he speaks Thai though.

He is like most other French people, when they speak another language.

They continue to speak French, and then throw some foreign words in, every now and then.

• Like 1

The vast majority of the Thai authorities, let alone the general populace, don't have the first clue about regulations for foreigners and therefore don't care.

I can assure you that if there is a chance to nail a foreigner, the authorities will wise up real fast.

It's a well known fact that technically even volunteer work or work from home & only w. foreign customers requires a wp in Thailand. You can bet your bum that running a food cart for all to see requires one.

You've missed the point.

The authorities can't nail someone if they don't know that he's doing something they can nail him for in the first place.

Neither can the locals grass anyone up if they don't know that he's doing something they can grass him up for in the first place.

If you are referring to a cart with a motorbike on the side of it, then these travelling food carts are illegal in Thailand, even for Thais.....

Which must be why they are so hard to find, NOT! cheesy.gif

They are everywhere and are well liked and well used.

Welcome to Thailand - please enjoy your stay. coffee1.gif

I thought this was a nice story. This guy is obviously a small fish and seems friendly to all the locals so the people in charge probably don't worry about him. If people have a problem with this guy, why don't they go after some of the bigger fish rolling through other areas.

If you are referring to a cart with a motorbike on the side of it, then these travelling food carts are illegal in Thailand, even for Thais.....

Which must be why they are so hard to find, NOT! cheesy.gif

They are everywhere and are well liked and well used.

Welcome to Thailand - please enjoy your stay. coffee1.gif

How very kind of you, thank you. I have been enjoying my stay here for nearly 10 years now.

And what I said was 100% correct. Mobile food carts are illegal to operate in any but certain zones and at certain times. Permits for the areas are available from their respective councils.

If you've been here a while, you may noticed that there are one or two prostitutes around too, also well liked and well used. That's illegal as well, but as I mentioned the Thais have a way of disregarding these things sometimes :-D

TL

I would have thought that If he is doing good business and making money, the other stallholders around him would waste little time getting him closed down..

I would have thought that If he is doing good business and making money, the other stallholders around him would waste little time getting him closed down..

Maybe, if they were also Thai labour and immigration law experts.

Regrettably, that's probably because you've been reading the words of too many negative people on these forums.

If you are a nice person, become friends with, and fit in with the Thais around you, they will take you in and protect you as if you were one of their own.

TL

• Like 2

There's a Turkish fellow down Walking Street selling ice cream (just after the big tree). I gather that it's allowed because it's an "ice cream show". Looks like an ice cream cart to me though. xwhistling.gif.pagespeed.ic.FVjgnKnWS1.p

Perhaps this is similar.