Reds' devil-may-care attitude has won them few fans

Lite Beer

ARE YOU GAME
Reds' devil-may-care attitude has won them few fans
Kitinan Sanguansak

30210898-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- English Premier League champions Manchester United and Europa League winners Chelsea left the country with different results from their exhibition matches in the capital. The two clubs were here to mark the 80th Anniversary of Boon Rawd Brewery, with whom they have lucrative deals as global partners. But the feeling of supporters was as contrasting as the outcome for the teams' new managers.

Jose Mourinho's Chelsea side hit the ground running, by eking out a 1-0 win over the Singha All Stars XI, but David Moyes' United team crashed to an upset 1-0 loss against the same opponents at Rajamangala National Stadium.

Given the large fanbase they command in the country, much was expected from Manchester United's trip to Bangkok for the first time in more than a decade. But, bad news for Thai fans came as soon as the club's chartered flight departed from England.

Fans cried foul when it emerged that Dutch hitman Robin Van Persie was absent from the United travelling party. Surely, the forward was not the only one to miss the trip but his absence became an issue after he figured prominently in TV advertisements to promote the game. Many made their discontent clear on social media sites, as they felt cheated after having to pay a lot of money to buy tickets.

With the furore over Van Persie's absence barely dissipating, the fans' mood got worse when England international Wayne Rooney was sent back home to receive treatment on a hamstring injury barely 24 hours after arriving in the capital. For supporters hoping to get a glimpse of the Red Devils players during their three-day stay, the opportunity was further limited by tight security measures at the team's hotel, where fans were not allowed to even enter the lobby. There was further disappointment in store for those waiting at the venue where Man United's football clinic took place. They could meet only two ex-United strikers, Dwight Yorke and Andy Cole, rather than members of the current playing squad.

The main grievance of the fans, however, was the organisation of the game, which left many shaking their heads in disapproval. Some questioned the ticketing after vacant seats were spotted at the stadium despite reports that tickets were sold out within a few hours of going on sale.

People, who paid a lot of money, also complained that they had to walk all the way to the top tier of the stands where they could see players like tiny dots - as the organisers had not designated seats for cheaper tickets. With many fans sitting on the stairs, and the concourse crowded with people, there were doubts about the claim that the tickets were oversold.

To say that the atmosphere inside the stadium was subdued that day was an understatement. The organisers opted to play the latest single from Phurit Bhirombhakdi, the elder son of Singha president Santi, over and over again rather than the famous "Glory Glory Man United" song before the kick-off. What upset fans most, though, was lack of announcements over the public address system about what was going on in the game.

Fans did know Teeratep "Leesaw" Winothai scored the winner for the home side. But, no one could tell which minute the goal went in. There was no announcement and the giant screen did not display the time of the game either.

Fewer complaints were heard upon the arrival of Chelsea, even though the London side also came minus several of their star players. The absence of striker Fernando Torres and David Luiz was understandable, though, because of their involvement in the Confederations Cup in Brazil.

With Thailand still to host two more glamour fixtures featuring another EPL club, Liverpool, and Spanish giants Barcelona, it will be interesting to see how things pan out, starting with the arrival of the Merseyside club later this week.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-07-21

What did they expect for a pre season friendly the whole first team squad? of course the first team squad players are going to be given a longer break and the younger players given game time to integrate into the first team, i see there are no complaints from the Sydney game where in more suited weather conditions the up and coming young players put on a fantastic show in front of 84,000 fans.

What did they expect for a pre season friendly the whole first team squad? of course the first team squad players are going to be given a longer break and the younger players given game time to integrate into the first team, i see there are no complaints from the Sydney game where in more suited weather conditions the up and coming young players put on a fantastic show in front of 84,000 fans.

Maybe something like this...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2368312/Chelsea-refund-Indonesian-fans-paid-meet-players.html

Sure, expecting a complete first team on the pitch is stretching it. But a clock and scorer announcement isn't.

Seems strange though that Man U didnt do a meet and greet or any other PR exercise.

• Like 1

Does sound like an overhyped let down by Singha.

A bit like their beer.

As usual it's ALL overhyped and I'm pretty sure the promoting Thais knew or just turned a blind eye to the likelihood of no-shows.. it's a warm up.. a practice game after all!.. RvP didn't even join the squad until later, when they were already in Australia, and due to his early intensive training schedule wasn't set to start the next game either!.. if Singha/ Thailand FA, or whoever else get involved in these 'promotions' really feel the top boys must turn out then they should stipulate it in any contract, which obviously they don't as they know what's the likely reality.. they get some cash anyway, of course - always the main thing! - so there shouldn't be a 'beef' really though I can basically understand some dreamy fans thinking all their PL heroes are going to turn out just for them before spending the next 90 minutes displaying a host of Brazil of the Seventies style footballing wizardry!!.. I'm an Everton supporter but I really don't like to see any of our PL sides get a hammering for not putting out their first teams just to please everyone in these pre-season fixtures.. it ain't going to happen, let's be honest, just as all those much-vaunted other sporting events here don't have all the top guys involved, whoever's picture they put up on the posters!!! wai.gif

Edited by spectrumisgreen
  • Like 1

They wouldn't even allow the fans into the hotel lobby...........

To be honest I am thinking keeping a gang of several thousand people outside might have been a reasonable and sensible idea.

Yes it is a con that the Thais only got to see some of the players when advertising was displaying the 'stars' too, but I am sure the players also felt they would rather be on a longer break than attending these dog-and-pony shows.

Most of the complaints seem to have been due to the organisers and it is a pity MU are undermined by them.

Edited by jacko45k

I think it comes down to being treated like a cash cow.

I agree.

This is a rare opportunity for Thais to see football of that caliber and they do not understand the game being used as a means of giving younger players some playing time. With all the hype they expected to see the game played at it's best. The promotion of the game took no account of the Thai fan's understanding into consideration. They assumed that the Thais would understand the meaningless of the game. Much as the preseason games of American football in the NFL. It even used players who were not coming to hype it up.

What made me laugh was you would have thought there would be "some" local pride for the Singha All Stars. But when Winorhai scored, the stadium went quiet!!!!

Well, som nam na to those overpaid muppets who's only excuse was it was too humid. As "professional athletes,"they should be able to cope with humidity.

First let me declare that I'm a Man U fan of over 50 years. Second I watched the game on TV as I rather feared it would be a half-hearted romp which these tour games have become. I have watched them in BKK some years ago at the National Stadium (at the match) and the entertainment value was well worth it then.

The current game was just as I feared and I doubt that fans got value for their money. It's partly due to the organisers over-hyping the game & United, as well as missing many 1st team players, hardly raising a sweat.

All it is is a money earner for Man U and much the same for the sponsors.

• Like 2

And oh yes. I have to agree with the posters and the article. They advertised Torres on TV, which I thought was misleading. Yes I appreciate some of them needed extra rest, but it was how they used key players to advertise it, then not show them. Just a bit naughty to mislead the supporters!!!

I went to the Singha Allstars XI vs Chelsea game and as a Fan of Chelsea for 50 years and having lived here in Thailand for the past 14 years felt it was a great opportunity to see my team one more time live.

I attended the game 2 years ago and felt that this time Chelsea made a great effort to show as many players as possible on the pitch. Virtually changing the whole team at half time.

They have also made themselves available to their fans more than I thought would be possible.

Appearances in the town at different shopping malls and open training sessions have, I think, endeared them to the fans much more.

Yes I was sorry not to see Torres, Mata, Louise etc but fully understand the reason why.

The only things missing for me were:

Yes the clock not showing match time elapsed.

Individual introductions or all the players on the pitch with a wave from each would have been great.

I really hope to see them back again within the next year or two.

• Like 2

I would have thought some sort of 'meet and greet or autograph thingy by man utd players would have been good to do , however the practicalities

, given the number of utd fans in thailand and the thais abilty around organizationcheesy.gif and in particular the safety aspect, 4 me could well be an issue

I went to the Singha Allstars XI vs Chelsea game and as a Fan of Chelsea for 50 years and having lived here in Thailand for the past 14 years felt it was a great opportunity to see my team one more time live.

I attended the game 2 years ago and felt that this time Chelsea made a great effort to show as many players as possible on the pitch. Virtually changing the whole team at half time.

They have also made themselves available to their fans more than I thought would be possible.

Appearances in the town at different shopping malls and open training sessions have, I think, endeared them to the fans much more.

Yes I was sorry not to see Torres, Mata, Louise etc but fully understand the reason why.

The only things missing for me were:

Yes the clock not showing match time elapsed.

Individual introductions or all the players on the pitch with a wave from each would have been great.

I really hope to see them back again within the next year or two.

I went to both Chelsea games also. I did notice the time elapsed on the big screen. A few of the players gave a wave as they come on for their warm up. JT (as always) ran to both ends to wave and clap the fans, good lad.

It wasn't the greatest game, but I love the feeling of walking to a match with thousands of other blues fans. Although I did see one Man U shirt and one Liverpool shirt - the white and blue away one similar to ours from last year.......maybe he thought no one would notice. :-)

• Like 1

Will be interesting to see if Messi is in the Bacelona team when they come. Given the non stop TV adverts of them returning from outer space, scaring that poor guy into hysteria, one hopes he will come if only to aplogise for the advert.